: Midnight in Fairbanks.

dkozloski
06-14-08, 04:39 AM
It really doesn't get dark at midnight in Fairbanks.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42753&stc=1&d=1213429082

Playdrv4me
06-14-08, 06:17 AM
Do you put bedsheets on the windows, have interior rooms with no windows, or do you just eventually get used to the additional light during the evening hours?

I would love it, I stay up all night as it is anyway.

ewill3rd
06-14-08, 07:33 AM
Yeah but what time does it get dark in the winter?
As funky as that would be to see, I'll pass.

urbanski
06-14-08, 08:30 AM
:lawl:

Night Wolf
06-14-08, 08:58 AM
woha theres buildings and streets in Alaska?

I sleep in the day and work at night, so it's really no different for me... my bedroom is darkened, but when I sleep in the spare bedroom, which I've been doing lately to change it up, it's bright as... well, daylight... and it dosen't bother me at all.

Not factoring in the being on a whole different schedual then the rest of the world, I like working at night, for many reasons.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-14-08, 10:16 AM
Man, it would be like jetlag all over again. It's light out, but you're dead tired and can't fall asleep.

Submariner409
06-14-08, 10:44 AM
Yep, WILD summer growing season......plenty vegetables. But it's the long winter dusk and nights........not enough bourbon.

dkozloski
06-14-08, 12:13 PM
Do you put bedsheets on the windows, have interior rooms with no windows, or do you just eventually get used to the additional light during the evening hours?

I would love it, I stay up all night as it is anyway.
The light bothers some people and others it makes no difference to them.

dkozloski
06-14-08, 12:18 PM
In winter it gets dark about 3PM. What gets most people is that they don't know when to go to bed so they stay up all night. I remember one summer as a teenager when my best buddy and I turned the day upside down for the whole summer. We slept during the day and stayed up all night working on our jalopies.

eyekandyboats.inc
06-14-08, 01:51 PM
that's awesome!
i am going to have to come up there one time... turning the day upside down would be funny..
in Alaska i take it you have to see the AM and PM sign alot because .. you cant tell the difference!

fleetwood76
06-14-08, 02:56 PM
Hello.

It's about the same here in northern Sweden where I live. I add a link to a photo that is shoot at midnight a cuople years ago of the Fleetwood. I took it with my mobil phone so the qualitee is pretty low but it was what i had handy.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/4633

About the problems with sleeping.
As mentioned is it dark a big part of the winterdays. but the change to daylight 24 hours a day is a little per day so when you lives in it is not a big change.

However a cuople year ago I meet some people in my work whit construction, that was from southern Sweden and not used with midnight sun.
I asked them how long they usually worked at the evenings.
The boss answer was- we work until the sun goes down.

jolle

dkozloski
06-14-08, 04:00 PM
Every June 21st they play a baseball game in Fairbanks that starts at midnight and is played without artificial lighting.

Jesda
06-14-08, 05:32 PM
When I was up there we put sheets over the windows, and I slept with my head under the covers.

Jesda
06-14-08, 05:33 PM
Hello.

It's about the same here in northern Sweden where I live. I add a link to a photo that is shoot at midnight a cuople years ago of the Fleetwood. I took it with my mobil phone so the qualitee is pretty low but it was what i had handy.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/4633

Wow, beautiful!!! Must be expensive filling that up with Swedish gas prices, but I suppose you don't drive it every day.

Tell Marie Serneholt that I love her. :)

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-14-08, 09:58 PM
Bah. Night time is when all the fun and mischief starts. :)

dkozloski
06-15-08, 01:12 AM
Bah. Night time is when all the fun and mischief starts. :)
Do you mean in September?

fleetwood76
06-15-08, 04:36 PM
Wow, beautiful!!! Must be expensive filling that up with Swedish gas prices, but I suppose you don't drive it every day.

Tell Marie Serneholt that I love her. :)

I filled it up today. Approx 90 liters 1250:- SEK That's about 208 US$.

And you right, I don't drive it every day. Mostly on weekends and on the "high" summer is there some meetings in the middle of the week that i attend if I have a chance. I fill it up once a week for about 200 $.

I sure will tell Marie that you love her, if I see her.

One benifit of the midnight light is that the crime rate is much lower on the summer.

jolle

dkozloski
06-15-08, 08:10 PM
Ever since the concealed carry law went into effect here the crime rate dropped drastically, year around.

orconn
06-15-08, 08:58 PM
Midnight sun in Fairbanks and nary a moose to be seen ....... is that cause they know when to sleep or is it because of the concealed carry law?

dkozloski
06-15-08, 09:11 PM
Midnight sun in Fairbanks and nary a moose to be seen ....... is that cause they know when to sleep or is it because of the concealed carry law?
Shoot a man in Fairbanks and you might get away with it but Lord help you if you kill a moose out of season.

Stoneage_Caddy
06-15-08, 09:43 PM
koz what did they do to what used to be a steak joint when i lived there?

dkozloski
06-15-08, 11:48 PM
koz what did they do to what used to be a steak joint when i lived there?
Club 11 burned, The Turtle Club is still doing a good job. Pike's Landing is good and so is the Vallata on the end of Ballaine Road. Two Rivers is doing well. There are a lot of great dinner houses and restaurants. Sourdough Sam's Cafe got a five star rating by Air France and is one of the few in the entire U.S. rated that high.

MauiV
06-16-08, 09:43 PM
Hey Koz, do you know Joel or Maurice? Ever run into Maggie at one of the local grass strips?

Is The Brick still doing well?

dkozloski
06-16-08, 10:02 PM
All the Joels and Maurices I ever knew are dead. Maggie is my best friends dog's name. No bricks around here.