: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

DopeStar 156
06-13-08, 01:42 AM
Is anyone else glued to their copy like I am? This game is why I bought the PS3.....

The Tony Show
06-13-08, 11:13 AM
I hate Sony and the Playstation brand with a passion, yet I very well may buy a PS3 for this game. I'm a huge fan of Kojima's work (goofy endings and all), and I still think MGS has one of the greatest stories ever.

How are you enjoying it so far? I was a little concerned from the previews that they've made it too complicated (like the food and camo in Snake Eater).

blunted
06-13-08, 11:18 AM
This game is the definition of "next gen"... I think they really hit the mark with this one. Everything looks amazing.. its like your watching a blu-ray but then you jump into playing it. It's great to finally have something that was designed around the capabilities of the Cell chip. :thumbsup:

The Tony Show
06-13-08, 11:30 AM
Hit any of those 90 minute cut scenes yet? :eek:

DopeStar 156
06-13-08, 11:51 AM
It's great. I'm still very early into the game (busy work week) but it's astonishing from the visuals, sound, and the new Dualshock 3 controller. The controls are pretty easy, I was afraid it was gonna be complicated but not at all. The Octocamo changes automatically if you press up against a surface for like 2 seconds and rather than food you use things like Playboys and cigarettes to lower Snake's stress level since you're in dead center of a war zone.

I'm one of the biggest MGS fans ever and I love Snake, but I'm really upset at how old and sick he looks. He keeps saying shit like, "This is my final mission," and in the trailer Naomi tells him his body "-is reaching it's limit." If he dies (PLEASE no one spoil the game for me) I'm gonna be upset......

blunted
06-13-08, 01:07 PM
It's great. I'm still very early into the game (busy work week) but it's astonishing from the visuals, sound, and the new Dualshock 3 controller. The controls are pretty easy, I was afraid it was gonna be complicated but not at all. The Octocamo changes automatically if you press up against a surface for like 2 seconds and rather than food you use things like Playboys and cigarettes to lower Snake's stress level since you're in dead center of a war zone.

I'm one of the biggest MGS fans ever and I love Snake, but I'm really upset at how old and sick he looks. He keeps saying shit like, "This is my final mission," and in the trailer Naomi tells him his body "-is reaching it's limit." If he dies (PLEASE no one spoil the game for me) I'm gonna be upset......

Did you notice how if you let the game load and dont press start while he's in the cemetery smoking a cigarette, he'll walk around, put the butt in the case and then kneel down and start to flip his gun around like he's gonna put it in his mouth. Then it cuts and goes to a commercial... pretty interesting.

dwight.j.carter
06-13-08, 01:34 PM
Anyone played the multiplayer and does it compare to Call Of Duty 4 ?

dwight.j.carter
06-13-08, 04:17 PM
come on people who has played and is it worth it ?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-13-08, 04:19 PM
What is MGS about?

The Tony Show
06-13-08, 04:41 PM
Oh man.....it's really tough to explain.

The main character is a soldier codenamed Solid Snake. The first game had you infiltrating a US Nuclear missile facility in Alaska that had been taken over by terrorists, while the second placed you on an Oil Rig at sea. The Third game was a "flashback"- you played as Snake during his first big mission during the Cold War. Even though there's tons of cool weaponry and technology, the overall theme of the games could be considered "Anti-War", especially nuclear.

All the games feature very good voice acting, well written stories (the second one, Sons of Liberty got a little wacky at the end, but I give it a pass since it as such a good game) and excellent graphics for their respective machines. You can find dirt cheap copies of MGS for the PS1 now, and I'd highly recommend picking it up. If you have a Gamecube or Wii, try to find the GC remake called "Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes". It used the updated graphics and controls from the sequels, and re-choreographed all the cutscenes to make them more exciting.

The series has actually been around before the Nintendo, but didn't become famous until the PS1 Metal Gear Solid. At that point, they began calling all the subsequent games "sequels" of that one. Here's the chronology:

Metal Gear (MSX/Nintendo)
Metal Gear 2 (MSX)
Metal Gear :Snakes Revenge (crappy US only Nintendo game NOT made by Hideo Kojima)
Metal Gear Solid (PS1) <--------the greatest
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (GC remake)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)

Here's the Wiki entry, but be careful of spoilers if you're going to play them (which I highly recommend). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_%28series%29

DopeStar 156
06-13-08, 07:09 PM
Definately a good play. Everyone I've introduced to the series falls in love with it. Snake is an amazing character, pretty much biologically engineered to be the perfect soldier and a clone of the greatest soldier in history, Big Boss. He's my all time favorite character and I'd even go as far as to call him a superhero. He's sharp witted and smart with the quickest reflexes of any hero I've ever seen. The first time you watch him perform a CQC attack in a cut scene it's got you laughing at how badly the other guy got beaten. Even in his state of accelerated aging, he still seems just as limber and quick as ever......

They're great games with tons of interaction. Staying outside in the cold gives you a cold making you sneeze or cough giving away your position, wet shoes leave foot prints that enemies can follow to find you, hiding in a dumpster too long makes you smell giving away your position, knocking on walls as a distraction, leaving open Playboys out in the open to distract enemies, using cigarette smoke to reveal laser security systems all make for an amazing world to play and experiment in. One feature the MGS titles offer that no other game does is that from MGS2 onward you have the option to play the entire game without killing anyone since you are equipped with a gun that fires KO rounds and puts the enemies to sleep. This benefits occasionally since if soldiers spot corpses the games goes into an alert phase, however sleeping gards are just seen as lazy and usually get kicked awake. Everything was thought of to make them as realistic as possible......

The Tony Show
06-13-08, 08:10 PM
Uber spoiler, man! Sheesh..... :rolleyes:

gary88
06-13-08, 08:19 PM
I'm still a believer that this will make it to the 360 eventually.

dwight.j.carter
06-13-08, 09:11 PM

your dreamin this has been sony exclusive forever. It has a better chance of beiing on the wii if it could even handle the technology. I have it reserved I think I will pick it up tonight.

Mark0101
06-13-08, 10:45 PM
unless they are willing to put it on 5 CD's then your in luck:thumbsup:

dwight.j.carter
06-14-08, 01:16 AM
I picked it up and for someone that has never been a fan of metal gear I am thouroughly impressed.

DopeStar 156
06-14-08, 03:08 PM

The creator of the game said it's exclusive......

The Tony Show
06-14-08, 03:17 PM
"Exclusive" doesn't mean shit anymore- maybe 6 months, that's it. Rumors have been flying for a long time about it, and anyone who thinks it won't fit on an Xbox disc hasn't seen Oblivion. If they can fit that much voice and that large a game world on a disc, MGS4 will damn sure fit. According to Bethesda, they were nowhere near maxing out the disc, either.

blunted
06-15-08, 02:24 PM
I can't see MGS4 coming out on Xbox360... the game was built ground up to work with the Cell and years were spent getting it right. This is Kojima's baby and I can't see him making some weak port version of it for the 360. Why mess with perfection?

DopeStar 156
06-15-08, 02:34 PM
I also read that it's pretty close to the 60 GB capacity of the Blu-ray disc......

Mark0101
06-15-08, 04:12 PM
I also read that it's pretty close to the 60 GB capacity of the Blu-ray disc......
Yes thats what I heard that they had to cut some stuff to even put it on the Blu-ray disc. MGS4 is only for people who have been MGS fans and know whats happening in the game. If people really want to play MGS4, go buy a PS3...simple

gary88
06-15-08, 04:36 PM
Remember when GTA was brought to the Xbox? The PS2 fanboys wanted to declare war.

And I wouldn't mind more than one disc if it did happen. Lost Odyssey is four discs and it really isn't a big deal to me.

Mark0101
06-15-08, 05:32 PM
oh well we will have to wait to see if it comes on Xbox. I haven't even bought the game yet so I can't say how good it is, even then I play it for its story line. MGS is still the best for me but we will see how good MGS4 is.

The Tony Show
06-16-08, 10:31 AM
Remember when GTA was brought to the Xbox? The PS2 fanboys wanted to declare war.

And I wouldn't mind more than one disc if it did happen. Lost Odyssey is four discs and it really isn't a big deal to me.

GTA was brought over simply as a business decision, which is why I also think MGS4 might also be ported. Xbox 360 has the largest installed user base of any current gen system, as well as the highest number of games with an above 80% metacritic rating.

If Konami sees money there, it'll get ported. Exclusivity contracts (like on Bioshock and Mass Effect) are usually only 6 months to 1 year in today's industry, as NO company will sign away their right to ever port the game and make more money. I know it's "Kojima's baby", but it's Konami's IP.

DopeStar 156
06-18-08, 12:27 PM
While playing yesterday I saw a few Apple products in the game. Specifically an iPod and an iBook, Microsoft won't like that!!!

dwight.j.carter
06-18-08, 02:33 PM
yeah all the computers are apple and you even pick up an ipod you can listen to.

DopeStar 156
06-22-08, 03:14 AM
Haha, I just just finished the second Act and during the installation screen the game said in text, "Don't you think this is a good place to stop? It's past 2:00 AM! Take a freakin' break!"

I swear to you it said this. Hahaha! Sometimes I don't know when to call it a night.....

Mark0101
06-22-08, 03:20 AM
Haha, I just just finished the second Act and during the installation screen the game said in text, "Don't you think this is a good place to stop? It's past 2:00 AM! Take a freakin' break!"

I swear to you it said this. Hahaha! Sometimes I don't know when to call it a night.....

LOL I had that same thing come up an hour ago, It said the same thing except 1:00 AM. I just started ACT four I think and my neck is hurting...lol

I gotta say I love the story line as of right now and the graphics are just amazing. I love how they tie the previous games to this, I really hpe the create MGS5 but from what I hear this was their last MGS:mad:

DopeStar 156
06-22-08, 02:51 PM
I'm with you on that. I have to say hands down my favorite series.....

The Tony Show
06-23-08, 10:35 AM
I there's any game that can make me ignore my irrational hatred of Sony and buy a PS3, this is it.

gary88
06-23-08, 11:19 AM
http://img466.imageshack.us/img466/9642/ken53rs5.jpg

dwight.j.carter
06-23-08, 09:47 PM
For online though no game will beat call of duty 4. I am kind of pissed I can't get registered to play Metal Gear Online.