: Front Diff, Transfer Case, how to change fluid.

Patrick7997
06-12-08, 12:03 PM
Alrighty... I just replaced the fluid in my front diff, rear diff, and the transfer case.... and took a few pictures.

If anyone would like to see how I did it, read on.

(moderators, if this is in the wrong section, I humbly apologize)

Again, vehicle is a 2004 Escalade AWD, with 44,000 miles on it.

Before we start, let's note that I drove the front of the Escalade onto a set of ramps, and then jacked up the rear by the trailer hitch, and placed 2 jack stands under the rear area, to put the truck up in the air and level. I'm not that small, and I was able to crawl around under there with no problems.

Let's start with the front differential:

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m118/Patrick7997/DSC00484.jpg

This is the drivers side of your front diff. Camera is being held near the drivers side front tire, shooting towards the passenger front tire.. looking across the front axle area, if you will.

You see two bolts there. The top one is bigger, it's a 15mm bolt. That is your FILL plug. The bottom one, the smaller one, is your DRAIN plug.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m118/Patrick7997/DSC00485.jpg

Always remove the FILL plug first, as shown here. (Don't drain it and find out the fill is stuck... that's no good.)

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m118/Patrick7997/DSC00486.jpg

Fill plug is out, came out no problem. Now we remove the drain plug with a 13mm wrench. You're going to have your pan ready underneath this, because when this comes out, fluid will be draining.... the fluid will be shooting towards you a little, so factor that in your pan placement...

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m118/Patrick7997/DSC00487.jpg

Fluid is draining... nice. So far, so good.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m118/Patrick7997/DSC00488.jpg

That drain plug is a magnetic plug, and hopefully you can see, there is a lot of material stuck on there....

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m118/Patrick7997/DSC00489.jpg

Drain plug wiped off... lotsa stuff there. Hopefully, I did this in time. Honestly, if I had an Escalade with 25k or more miles, I would go downstairs and change that front diff fluid RIGHT NOW. Now. You're still sitting there.... get moving! Joking. Okay, moving along.... let's assume the draining is complete. Replace your drain plug, the 13mm magnetic one.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m118/Patrick7997/DSC00490.jpg

This is what we're going to use to refill the case. It's a little pumper, I have placed the correct length of hose on the pickup side, to go into a Mobil 1 75w90 bottle... I will put the long hose into the fill hole, and them pump the thing until fluid starts coming out the fill hole, indicating that the case is full to the plug hole... I've had that pump forever, I believe I initially purchased it at a marine dealer, and used it to fill up lower unit gear cases on outboard motors...

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m118/Patrick7997/DSC00491.jpg

Like so. Ready to go.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m118/Patrick7997/DSC00492.jpg

Here we see I have started pumping, the fluid is flowing up the hose and into the case.

When it's full, replace the FILL bolt, the 15mm one, and you're done.

It took me around 2.5 quarts of 75w90 to fill it back up. An approximate number, there is probably some slight line loss with my long fill tube...

You're done with the front diff!! Congrats! Light a Marlboro, take a break, and get ready to move to the middle of the truck, down the centerline, behind the transmission.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m118/Patrick7997/DSC00494.jpg

Here we have the Transfer Case. This picture is shot from the rear of the truck, looking towards the front. Thus, this face of the case you are looking at faces the back of the truck. You see the two bolts there. It may not show up on the picture, but this case is actually inscribed "Drain" and "Fill". Same concept as before.

Now, you see the square holes there, and you're thinking "What size wrench is that??" Heh heh, good question.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m118/Patrick7997/DSC00495.jpg

There's your standard 3/8ths inch socket wrench, with no socket on it. Guess what?? That's the right size square.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m118/Patrick7997/DSC00496.jpg

Like so. Note that's the drain bolt... we're going to do the fill bolt first, as always.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m118/Patrick7997/DSC00497.jpg

Fill bolt is out. Case was really full, some came out. I was told at the Cadillac Dealer that that case is full of Auto-Trak II, the blue stuff. Which is $16 a quart. The factory fill, as you can see here, is ATF, Dexron III. So, save yourself some big cash, and just refill it with Dexron III (or Dexron VI) at a far lower price.

This is thinner fluid, so it will really gush when you pull the drain bolt, and it will be coming AT you, so watch it, and watch your pan placement, unless you want a faceful....

I'm sure you've got the idea here, Pull the drain bolt, let it drain, replace the drain bolt, set up your pumper, fill thru the fill hole until it comes out, replace fill bolt... These 2 bolts, like the front diff, came in & out with no problem.

This case took about 1.5 quarts to refill....

Pat yourself on the back, you have now completed 2 of the three cases!!

I've hit the picture limit, seperate post for the rear diff....

If there are mistakes here, I'm sure smarter people than me will point them out. You can save a pile of money here, with some easy work. Hope this helps someone... enjoy.

hcvone
06-12-08, 12:17 PM
Pat, nice job, thanks for taking the time and posting this for the members.

Patrick7997
06-12-08, 01:10 PM
Thanks for your kind words...

Let me add one more quick thought. There are a lot of similarities in this write up to Tahoe's, Yukons, Trailblazers, Envoys.... they're very similar.

However, in some of those trucks, AutoTrak II, the blue stuff, IS REQUIRED in that transfer case, and IS the factory fill.... just a little note. Sometimes you need the blue stuff...

Not on the Escalade, apparently, but on some others, you do. Maybe because the Escalade is full-time AWD??? Not switchable, like the others?? Different guts inside that transfer case?? Speculating out loud...

Just an FYI...

Guyz1996deville
06-30-08, 03:45 PM
My transfer case had a ton of fluid in it. I pulled the fill plug and there was about a quart or more above that yet. How come there is a trend of transfer cases being over filled?

digitalcaddie
10-28-08, 12:36 PM
Better question is how do you over fill the transfer case? Tip the truck up on the bumper, fill the case, replace the fill plug and then put it back on the ground? Probably not...

digitalcaddie
10-28-08, 12:59 PM
BTW...I swapped the fluids on the front and rear diffs last night. Not too hard of a job...the truck was even sitting on the ground. I had some shavings on the magnetic drain plug that the dealer said is not a major concern. I hope he's right... The dude said noise/grinding sounds indicate a problem while the shavings normally accumulate. My truck has 64k miles on it and the stuff that came out was black...only about 1 qt in the front and 1 qt in the rear so it was time to do this job. Took just under 2 qts to fill the front and just under 4 to fill the rear. As for the rear level, there was a sign on a tag just above the rear fill hole that said the level should be 15-40mm below the fill hole. To achieve that level, I put a 90 degree bend in a plastic cable tie with 20mm of length hanging below the bend and used that as a dipstick. One word of caution when filling, it takes a little while for the fluid to settle. After I pumped in about two quarts in the rear, the fluid started flowing back out of the hole so I thought I had overfilled the case. After waiting 5 minutes, the level dropped and I was slowly able to add ~2 more quarts until the fluid registered on my makeshift dipstick. Great post Patrick.

See pics below for dirty plug and clean plug from the front diff.

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/rdysert/My%20Documents/Car%20Stuff/Differential%20Drain%20Plug/dirtyplug.JPGfile:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/rdysert/My%20Documents/Car%20Stuff/Differential%20Drain%20Plug/dirtyplug.JPG

CAD-E!
10-29-08, 08:12 PM
dont forget the 2nd part. thanks again patrick7997 and hcvone for answering all my amsoil questions.

xliemx
11-07-08, 08:36 PM
just curious, I have a 03 ESV and am going to change diff fluids and put a chrome rear cover, what size rear diff does it have a 8.5 or 8.625??

Big Q
02-04-09, 05:15 AM
Hi! I have a 05 escalade with 100k miles and I have a strong buzzing from the front (like the trucks diff) can it be the reason is that the diff's fluid level is too low?

pcguy760
02-19-09, 08:08 PM
Hi, I noticed my auto parts store only has "Mercon V" - is it okay to use this for the transfer case?

Patrick7997
02-20-09, 04:23 AM
PCGuy 760:

No.

You need Dexron III or Dexron IV...(or is it VI?? I always confuse that...) That's Dexron 3 or Dexron 6.

Or you can use the blue stuff from a GM Dealer, the transfer case fluid, but it's pricey....

pcguy760
02-20-09, 01:26 PM
Oops, my bad - I am so used to having my Expedition around I got the Dexron and Mercon mixed up (glad I did not really use the Mercon lol). I just got my Escalade and I am about to say bye to the Expedition.

Ok thanks, I will get the Dexron then.

klukshu
02-22-09, 11:28 PM
Great job thanks for the post thats going to be my next project

pcguy760
03-06-09, 08:11 PM
Hey is the transfer case different on an 02 because the drain and fill bolt is different on mine - more like a bolt type and it kinda looks different from the one pictured here...

jwtjwt
03-16-09, 12:10 PM
just curious, I have a 03 ESV and am going to change diff fluids and put a chrome rear cover, what size rear diff does it have a 8.5 or 8.625??
Did you ever get an answer for 2003 ESV rear Diif. cover?

oldworld
03-17-09, 12:52 AM
I have an 03 escalade.
When I checked the level in the transfer case the other day, at least a half quart came out the fill hole......
As mentioned here before, how is it possible to overfill? Can that be bad?
Also I read here as well to use Dextron 3 or 6 when changing the fluid, that the escaldes did not use the blue stuff. My fluid is blue.
Does that mean I need to use the blue to replace it?

Patrick7997
03-17-09, 09:07 AM
Oldworld - You don't say how many miles you have on the truck... Is there a chance it was changed once already??

My understanding is that your 03 should be the same as my 04. My 04 had a factory fill of regular red Dexron 3. However, I *thought* it was supposed to be the blue stuff, so since I bought it already, I did go ahead and put the blue stuff in....

I am wondering if someone did that to yours???

If unsure, it will cost around $28 to go to a GM dealer and get 2 quarts of the blue stuff, which is a small price to pay for your peace of mind...

As far as overfilling, mine was slightly overful. That may have been due to the truck not being dead level while in the air... I'm not sure a slight overfill is a bad thing.

jwtjwt
03-18-09, 09:36 AM
On the rear diff. do you have to remove the plate to change the fluid? I know the lube places pump them out. What do you advise?

Patrick7997
03-20-09, 05:15 PM
I have another thread on that, devoted entirely to the rear diff, which I think is also one of the stickies...

The short answer is no, loosen up half the bolts, on the lower half, put a drain pan under it, and pry it open slightly with something... big screwdriver, small prybar, whatever....

The fluid will drain nicely, and then you can just retighten the bolts you loosened, and fill it back up.

Patrick7997
03-20-09, 05:21 PM
Sorry, I misspoke... it is not a sticky.

The rear diff instructions with pictures are HERE:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips/142572-escalade-rear-diff-how-change-fluid.html

Enjoy.

chadande
03-25-09, 10:43 AM
Nice write up! My front diff and transfer case have been re-lubed. Thanks for spending the time to put this together.

Patrick7997
05-10-09, 02:13 PM
Okay, it's been almost a year since I did the Front Diff in the first place...

Some of you may recall from other threads that after I did it, it was still whining, and I took it back to the dealer, and they stood behind it and rebuilt the front diff... That was at roughly 45k miles, diff shot.

So now, it is 16k miles later. 16k miles on a basically new front diff.

First, let me say that you don't need the truck up in the air to do the front diff. I just did it no problem from on the ground.

Now, I pull the drain plug.... the fluid is toast. It's black, it's scuzzy. Only 16k miles on it.

The magnetic drain plug is covered with metal. Covered. Just like the picture earlier in this thread. After only 16k miles....

Hopefully this will help, this time I replaced the fluid with Mobil One 75w140 light truck/suv formula... I hope.

My new interval for front diff service is 15k miles. Obviously, this diff is eating itself, in daily driving... I think changing it more often can't be a bad idea.

So, if you have an Escalade AWD, drop what you're doing and change the front diff fluid now. The wallet you save may be your own...

CAD-E!
05-19-09, 03:37 AM
i changed out the fluids out about a month after you made this post and i put around 4,000 miles on my car since the change and im changing it now out cause in going on a rally in june. the drain bolt for the front diff was covered in metal shavings, my fluid was black. so i agree w/ patrick7997 on changing it out more often.

my 03 has 26,900 miles should i be worried about the front going out?

g9s8r
07-04-09, 01:53 PM
so like oil should be changed every x,xxx miles. dif fluids should be changed every xx,xxx miles. what would you say those miles should be?

CEPMAN
07-10-09, 02:21 PM
This is definitely a money saving thread. I personally would like to see for myself how much metal has collected on the plug.

sk7
07-19-09, 11:32 PM
Excellent information. Here is a pic of the front diff drain plug. 128K miles on the truck, no way of knowing if the oil had previously been replaced.

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq102/sk7_1969/Escalade/Lade109.jpg

After much reading on this forum, I will dump the lower quality synthetic oil I put in and go with Amsoil severe gear oil 75W90 before winter. No noize or whine from the front diff so far...

spinedoc
08-17-09, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the great post. Is friction modifier necessary in any of the diffs?

sk7
08-17-09, 07:00 PM
I remember having to add a small bottle of GM special additive for the G80 limited slip rear diff in older trucks. Nobody here seems to be using it, I didnt and if you are using good quality synthetic lube you should be fine without.

Dirty Chris
08-24-09, 06:44 AM
I can only speak for the Mobil1 75w90 Synthetic LS Gear Lubricant1. The LS stands for Limited Slip and it already has the additives in it. From what I've seen, most SYNTHETIC gear oils are this way.

OTHCustoms
09-28-09, 07:59 PM
Does anyone know if this right up goes the same for a 2000 escalade? My escalade does not have awd but is 4wd.

kycop
10-11-09, 03:47 PM
I have a 05 escalade esv platinum, i am wanting
to change all fluids front, rear, trans, etc does anyone
know the best fluids to use, i saw royal purple something at local
auto parts place but.... Scared to change cayse not positive
bout what to use . Any one out thete have a positove answer

Z71
10-16-09, 04:12 PM
Just a word of caution when changing out the transfer case. If is calls for Dexron III DO NOT use Dexron VI in place of that.

This information applies to 2007 and prior GM passenger cars and trucks.

Dexron III is being phased out as a product name. It is being renamed Manual Transmission Fluid and carries p/n 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada).

If fluid p/n 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada) is not yet available when servicing a manual transmission or transfer case, Dexron III can be used in its place.

DO NOT use Dexron VI in place of manual transmission fluid in any manual transmissions or transfer cases that specify Dexron III, as a failure may result.

Z71
10-16-09, 04:20 PM
I have a 05 escalade esv platinum, i am wanting
to change all fluids front, rear, trans, etc does anyone
know the best fluids to use, i saw royal purple something at local
auto parts place but.... Scared to change cayse not positive
bout what to use . Any one out thete have a positove answer

Yes, I know exactly what to use.....PM me for details on how much you need in each hole etc.

Front and rear differentials - Use 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube
Transmission - Use Dexron VI
Transfer Case - Use Dexron III

I recommend AMSOIL Synthetic's, IMO they are the best.

For more info on exactly how much you need and exactly the correct products you can PM and I will figure it out. Don't want to waste my time if you already have done this.

Mike
2009 CTS4
2008 GMC Sierra Z71 EC

oldworld
10-20-09, 08:17 PM
Heres some info on brookfield viscosity between brands. NOTE: Less number is better: ALL ARE SYNTHETIC 75W90
Amsoil severe Gear 68,150
Pennzoil 85,000
Mobil 1 85,560
GM Syn Axel 93,730
Mopar with LS 101,350
Valvoline Synpower 102,500
Castrol Syntec 149,850
******************************************* CUTOFF HERE MAX ALLOWABLE IS 150,000. Anything below is not to be used.
Red Line 164,100
Royal Purple Max 389,500
LUCAS 200,000 plus

There goes my lucas idea.....lol
My mechanic uses Pennzoil, so I am cool with the choice. I will however now change the fliud myself every year.

pcguy760
10-24-09, 03:57 AM
Z71, I was told by the autoparts store that Dexron VI replaced Dexron III and Dexron III was obselete! So I used VI in the T. Case!!! Am I in trouble??

So far this is my oil changes and what I have used ...

Front and Rear Diff - Mobil1 75W90 (I am kinda confused on this now as I saw another post from the OP saying that he NOW used 75W140 for the front diff!! So WHICH is it?????!!)
Transmission - Dexron VI with 1 bottle Lucas Transmission treatment.
Transfer Case - Dexron VI

This is an 02 AWD 6.0L Base model btw.

Z71
10-24-09, 10:05 AM
That's true that Dexron VI replaced Dexron III BUT only in transmissions, NOT in transfer case or manual transmissions UNLESS its so specified in your owners manual.

Here is a pic of the label on the back of a GM bottle of Dexron VI

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/Z15_34396/New%20Auto%20Related/IMG_0433.jpg

Read this GM service information, it taken from a monthly service new magazine. I high lighted the pertain part in Red The primary reason its not recommended is because it was never tested in all those applications because GM does not make those, they come from vendors. Is it safe to use?? Don't know but GM claims damage may result. Likely from the additives (chemicals) in the new Dexron VI that was never in the old Dexron III. That could eat seals, corrode soft metals etc. I would not risk it, get the GM fluid, Dexron III and don't use any additives in it like Lucas. Not needed and a waste of money, BUY quality ATF instead of buying low quality and beefing it up with additives.

Dexron III is being phased out as a product name. It is being renamed Manual Transmission Fluid and carries p/n 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada).

If fluid p/n 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada) is not yet available when servicing a manual transmission or transfer case, Dexron III can be used in its place.

DO NOT use Dexron VI in place of manual transmission fluid in any manual transmissions or transfer cases that specify Dexron III, as a failure may result.

- Thanks to Charles Krepp, TAC

Does it say in your owners manual to use Dexron III (or ATF) in the transfer case or does it say to use some other GM product?? Some Cadillac AWD Transfer cases require a lube that is only available from GM. NO other company makes it. My info suggests this is the case in your 2002. Again, its not what the fluid looks like or performs BUT the chemical makeup of the fluid that can be the problem.

NO, 75W-140 is not required for the front differential. 75W-90 Synthetic is all that is needed.

PS - I own a 2009 CTS4 and a 2008 GMC Sierra Z71 E. Cab SLT and have owned GM trucks for over 20 yrs

pcguy760
10-24-09, 05:18 PM
So they DO still sell Dexron III then? I guess I need to change the T. Case oil asap then since it has the Dexron VI in it :(

Patrick7997
10-27-09, 12:21 PM
You could also use the blue colored transfer case fluid in that case, but it's expensive.

I went to 75w140 because this truck is hard on front diffs.... and I'm hoping not to have to replace it again, because this time it won't be under warranty,,,

Z71
10-27-09, 03:35 PM
fyi

AMSOIL has a 75W-110 gear lube that will give you the extra viscosity protection without affecting fuel mileage Synthetic 75W-110 Server Gear Lube (http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?GroupID=97&zo=34396)

I have changed a lot of front and rear differentials on these GM trucks over the years and every time what I drain out looks terrible. I would never leave the oem lube in there past the original 10,000 miles. I think they use the lowest quality gear lube they can buy. The limited Slip rear differential in my 2005 CTS was clunking at 200 miles. They replaced the lube and it stopped for about 500 miles and then returned. I got some AMSOIL Severe gear and made the dealer install it for me. I never heard the rear end clunking again and I never changed it again. When my 2008 GMC had 1,100 miles I had a local trans shop change everything to synthetic, both axles, transfer case and trans. Should be safe for 100,000 miles and beyond. Catch it early before the oem lube has a chance to destroy it.

box986
11-15-09, 10:23 PM
On the Amsoil website, they suggest the following replacement fluid for the transfer case:

Transfer Case,W/ Other TRC......GLS [4]
Torque-Drive Synthetic Transmission Fluid (ATD1G)
Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATFQT)
Transfer Case,W/ Nvelec TRC......SLF [5]
No AMSOIL Product Recommendation

Would my 03 EXT have a Nvelec or "other" TRC?

Here is the link showing all recommended Amsoil replacement fluids & capacities for an '03: http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookup.aspx?url2=2003+CADILLAC+ESCALADE%20E XT+1

Z71
11-16-09, 07:57 AM
I have done some checking and it appears the correct fluid is a Dexron III product like the AMSOIL ATD Torque Drive or the ATF Auto Trans Fluid.

Your should be able to confirm by going to page 6-13 of your owners manual

Just do not use the Dexron VI versions as they have not been validated (tested for component compatibility) in that year.

The ATD only come is gallons so the best choice is Automatic Transmission Fluid (http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?GroupID=208&zo=34396)

The Factory Man
11-16-09, 11:06 PM
So they DO still sell Dexron III then? I guess I need to change the T. Case oil asap then since it has the Dexron VI in it :(
GM has not issued a license for anyone to produce a spec. Dexron III since 2006. If you find a product that was recently produced that says Dexron III you need to understand that it may not meet GM specs for Dexron III. Dexron VI replaces Dexron III in GM automatic transmissions that were speced for Dexron III.

Z71
11-16-09, 11:58 PM
This info comes from GM...........

pcguy760
11-20-09, 03:30 AM
Ok, Z71 I am confused now cos how come Factory Man says otherwise - just wondering... btw, how much is the stuff that the Caddy dealer sells FOR the Transfer Case??

Z71
11-20-09, 07:32 AM
Its possible he is not even aware of that service info. If you doubt my info, check out the source
<Source> (http://www.gmtraining.com/TMSWebtree/techlink/images/issues/aug06/TLaug06e.html#story8)

To get GM's approval for anything requires you to pay them a fee and royalties on every gallon of lubricant you sell. So when you see someone say its been approved by GM, it means that GM makes money every time you buy one of those products. Also, just because a lube is not GM approved in no indication its bad for the application. It just means they have not been willing to pay GM for the right to be on the approved list. And naturally GM wants everyone to think that anything not on their approved list is no good for their GM vehicle. They have a monetary reason for you to think that.

I have no idea the exact cost as every dealer is likely to price it differently. I have heard prices anywhere from $6 to $20 a qt depending where you buy it.

The Factory Man
11-20-09, 01:09 PM
The following information is from the May 2007 issue of Tech-Link which is sent to all GM Dealer Service Departments each month. Read it and make your own decision! Notice what it says about un-licensed products. DEXRON is a registered trade mark and for someone to produce it means that they pay a licenseing fee and have to produce a product that meets the manufacturers specs. There is lots of money in it for the lubrication producers. GM owns the specs to DEXRON III and since they are no longer issuing licenses, no one can produce a DEXRON III fluid. Are you going to take a chance on a questionable product? Not me!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Motors
DEXRON®-VI
Global Service-Fill Specification

figure 1

In early 2005, General Motors released a newly developed automatic transmission fluid (ATF) for the factory fill of all GM Powertrain stepped-gear automatic transmissions. The new fluid provides significantly improved performance in terms of friction durability, viscosity stability, aeration and foam control and oxidation resistance. In addition, the fluid has the potential to enable improved fuel economy and extended drain intervals. Because the performance of the new fluid far exceeded that of the DEXRON-III service-fill fluids available at the time, it became necessary to upgrade the DEXRON service-fill specification in order to ensure that similar fluids were available in the market for service situations. This latest upgrade to the service- fill specification is designated DEXRON-VI (fig. 1).

Since General Motors introduced the first ATF service-fill specification in 1949, it has been necessary to upgrade the specification periodically.

The upgrading process ensures that available service-fill fluids are of an appropriate quality for use in transmissions that have been designed around the factory-fill fluid performance.

TIP: As with previous upgrades, DEXRON-VI fluids are designed to be backward compatible with earlier transmission hardware. More importantly, earlier type fluids are not forward compatible with transmission hardware that was designed to use DEXRON-VI fluid.

DEXRON-III is not compatible with the most recently designed transmissions, and the use of these earlier type fluids could result in transmission damage. All current calibrations and certification tests are now conducted with DEXRON-VI ATF. DEXRON-III fluids should not be used for those applications where the owner manual recommends the use of DEXRON-VI.

TIP: GM does not license or support obsolete ATF specifications or the use of fluids that are being marketed against cancelled specifications.

All DEXRON-III licenses expired at the end of 2006 and will not be renewed. Beyond that date, GM will support only DEXRON-VI fluids for use in Hydra-Matic transmissions. Avoid fluids sold in the market after that date bearing claims such as “suitable for use in
DEXRON-III applications” or similar wording. DEXRON-VI licensed fluids are fully backward compatible and can be used in all applications covered by earlier GM ATF specifications.

The use of unlicensed fluids and/or non-GM approved aftermarket additives may prove detrimental to transmission performance and void warranty coverage.

- Thanks to Angela Willis

Precaution: DEXRON-VI in Manual Transmissions

When DEXRON-III is indicated as the fluid fill for manual transmissions and transfer cases, DO NOT use DEXRON-VI. Instead, use GM Manual Transmission Fluid p/n 88861800 in these components.

TIP: Refer to PIP3836B (Feb. 2007).

If the manual transmission or transfer case indicates use of DEXRON-VI, then, of course, it should be used.

Purging Equipment

Before filling your bulk fluid equipment with DEXRON-VI, be sure to purge the old oil from it.

Also, be sure to purge your J-45096 Transflow machine before using it with DEXRON-VI.

whosurpopi
12-05-09, 05:17 PM
I just got done putting in mobile one in the front diff in an 04 ext, and it only took two quarts before it started to spill back out of the fill hole. I am worried because the only other number i saw was 2 1/2 quarts. I am I alright?

The Factory Man
12-05-09, 06:28 PM
If you completely drained it and now it is spilling back out the fill hole, it's full! If I recall correctly, mine took right at 2 quarts.

whosurpopi
12-05-09, 06:31 PM
Thanks. I put in the entire two quarts, and as I was pulliing out the second quart, ready to put in the third, the fluid was coming out. Not alot, but steady. It feels great to get that black crude out of the diff.

kihon
12-06-09, 08:19 PM
Today, I completed this service. I was surprised how easy it was to do this.

DemetriusESV
01-04-10, 12:37 AM
Ok now guys, im going to the store tomorrow to pick up amsoil server gear oil 75w90 for my front and rear diffs... wasnt to clear on what I should get for my tranny... dexron 6 castrol? or the amsoil stuff, if so which one? For the transfer case Dexron 3 or amsoil? again if amsoil which one? I have an 05 ESV of course awd with all options.. That torque drive synthetic lingo is throwing me off.. can someone clear this up? Thanks!!!! I'm having that same whinning noise in the front but when I purchased the truck I had the front bearings and diff re-done.. Now I see that these oils should be changed regularly and this was done about 10k miles ago so it might be time.. Any clue what I should do?

Z71
01-04-10, 08:03 AM
Torque Drive is a trade mark name for a AMSOIL Dexron III HD ATF designed for use in Allison transmissions in trucks and buses etc. While it could be used, its a HD ATF with a higher viscosity rating and the smallest size in comes in is gallons while the other products below come in qts and up.
http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/images/atd_1g_300.jpg
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The codes in (ATL) are the product codes. If you are buying in person look for them on rear of bottle at bar code.

For the transmission, use this AMSOIL ATF (ATL) This product is designed as Dexron VI. Dexron VI are not recommended (by GM) for use in older transfer cases, only 2007 models up. Its compatible with Dexron III in your trans.
http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/images/atl_qt_300.jpg
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the transfer case use this AMSOIL ATF (ATF) This product is a Dexron III
http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/images/atf_qt_300pxh.jpg
You can check out this link to find more information on these Auto Trans Fluids----> Transmission Fluids (http://www.amsoil.com/a/synthetic-transmission-fluid?zo=34396)

Btw - The 75W-90 Severe Gear Lube is the best AMSOIL has and should be good for many miles. I have over 25,000 miles on it in my 2008 GMC and I don't plan on changing it anytime soon if ever. I have used AMSOIL for over 30 yrs.

The Factory Man
01-04-10, 11:06 AM
Ok now guys, im going to the store tomorrow to pick up amsoil server gear oil 75w90 for my front and rear diffs... wasnt to clear on what I should get for my tranny... dexron 6 castrol? or the amsoil stuff, if so which one? For the transfer case Dexron 3 or amsoil? again if amsoil which one? I have an 05 ESV of course awd with all options.. That torque drive synthetic lingo is throwing me off.. can someone clear this up? Thanks!!!! I'm having that same whinning noise in the front but when I purchased the truck I had the front bearings and diff re-done.. Now I see that these oils should be changed regularly and this was done about 10k miles ago so it might be time.. Any clue what I should do?
Dexron VI is far superior than Dexron III and should be used in any GM Automatic transmission that origionally used Dexron III. Fot the transfer case the lube can be very specific and I suggest a trip to your GM dealer for the latest fluid. Your Owners Manual will list a fluid, ask the dealer if there has been an update to the part number. GM does not license anyone to produce a Dexron III fluid and hasn't since 2006. If you get a fluid labeled Dexron III you can't be sure it meets the Dexron III spec as issued by GM.

DemetriusESV
01-06-10, 03:12 AM
Thanks everyone for your help!

McLovin
02-27-10, 01:37 PM
Dexron VI is far superior than Dexron III and should be used in any GM Automatic transmission that origionally used Dexron III. Fot the transfer case the lube can be very specific and I suggest a trip to your GM dealer for the latest fluid. Your Owners Manual will list a fluid, ask the dealer if there has been an update to the part number. GM does not license anyone to produce a Dexron III fluid and hasn't since 2006. If you get a fluid labeled Dexron III you can't be sure it meets the Dexron III spec as issued by GM.

Just to post a quick update on this.Went to Cadillac dealer and had them look up the transfer case fluid and the part number is Dextron IV, this is the recommended fluid. the owners manual says Destron III with H specification, and the back of the AC delco Dextron IV says it meets H specification Dextron III.

Z71
02-28-10, 01:56 PM
from GM service news

TIP: Any vehicle that previously used DEXRON-III for a manual transmission or transfer case should now use p/n 88861800 (88861801 in Canada) Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid. And power steering systems should now use p/n 89020661 (89021183 in Canada) Power Steering Fluid.

TIP: Since some early bulletins were issued, further validation has taken place and certain transfer cases and manual transmissions now DO use DEXRON-VI, so it's important to refer to the owner manual for appropriate recommendations.

more info from GM

My 2008 GMC (GMT900) takes Dexron VI spec and a friends 2007 Chevy Classic Duramax takes Dexron IIIH spec. He called the Chevy dealer just 2 weeks ago and they told him DO NOT USE Dexron VI. I know this because he was using my phone to make the call and he used my shop to do the change.

PS-He already has 100,000 miles on his truck!

McLovin
03-02-10, 01:47 AM
I will bring this info to my dealer to ask again. I have already changed the fluid, so I am a bit concerned. As far as the transmission goes, the 2003 Escalade manual says to use Dextron III and the 2006 Escalade manual says to use Dextron IV. Now I believe the transmissions are the same from 03-06, so what manual is correct?

Z71
03-02-10, 07:16 AM
I am pretty sure though that the TC in an 03 Escy is not the same as in a 2007 Chevy K2500HD. Also, Dexron VI did not exist in 2003 so it could not be shown in the manual. Dexron VI did not become factory fill till the 2006 model.

This change has caused a lot of confusion with dealers and you are likely to get conflicting info because most of them just don't pay attention to these details all the time and may make assumptions based on limited knowledge. Lots of service people are saying using Dexron VI for everything that once used Dexron IIIH but they may not be aware of the limitations in transfer cases and manual transmissions.

TIP: Since some early bulletins were issued, further validation has taken place and certain transfer cases and manual transmissions now DO use DEXRON-VI, so it's important to refer to the owner manual for appropriate recommendations.

When you talk to your dealer service ask them to show you in writing because everything I read contradicts the use of Dexron VI in TC that call for Dexron IIIH. Here is a link to service info that might shed more info (http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/archives.html) You will find the quotes I refer to in these issues.

While you say the TC may not have changed from 2003 to 2006 you really don't know as it could be something as simple as seals that are not compatible with the Dexron VI.

kycop
03-22-10, 11:32 PM
thanks z71 I have ordered all amsoil sythetics and when they arrive I will be draining and replacing all lubes...

Oil cleaner stuff and oil and filters will be next purchase.. But.. I will have to wait a bit....I hope this stuff is good. Its not cheap,, but then again neither is a transfer case or fron and rear end and tranny for a escalade..

Patrick7997
06-14-10, 08:35 PM
A brief update on the Mobil 1 75w140 Light truck/suv formula gear case lube.

16k miles has gone by since I put that in the front diff....

Changed it about a month ago. Came out CLEAN. NO shavings on drain plug.

So, for me personally, the Mobil 1 75w140 is all that is going in the front diff from now on....

03whiteesv
06-19-10, 05:14 PM
i've been tracking this tread for a while and thanks for this diy! i have an '03 esv currently with 92k. front and back differentials were serviced at 50k and i did a diy together with the transfer case at 75k. i noticed the infamous grinding noise last winter from a skiing trip. replaced the oil on the front diff and now it's quieted.

i'm up to a 3500 roadtrip from cali to tx and back this july. i'm planning to do another front and back diff oil change and try mobil 1 75w140 this time. also, will be changing transfer case and tranny oil!

seems like the failure on this is inevitable! i might just be buying time... anyone know gm's warranty policy on these? thanks...

05DiamondS'clade
06-28-10, 12:33 PM
Hey Pat thanks for the very detailed post. I changed my front diff fluid this weekend and was amazed (and disgusted) as to how dirty that oil had gotten. The drain plug was exactly as you described, completely covered in shavings. After completely draining the case I replaced the drain plug and unscrewed it a second time, just to see if it picked up any remaining metal in there. Sure enough, it was completely covered again! I wiped it clean, and repeated this step about 10 more times. Even with an empty case, the magnetic plug was picking up those microscopic metal shavings everytime I screwed/unscrewed it. Was my differential abnormally dirty? I pumped 2 quarts of 75w-90 in and called it a day, but am tempted to change the oil again just to make sure I got everything out...

d3adpool
07-25-10, 05:45 AM
does anyone know or have any idea if the amsoil synthetic gear oil is just as good as the autotrak II? From what i've gathered it seems as if many had to change the diff/transfer case fluids more often with the amsoil or the amsoil seemed to get dirty quicker.

Z71
07-25-10, 10:11 AM
If your transfer case calls for AUOTRAC II then that's all you should use. AMSOIL does not make a product to use in place of AUTOTRAC II.

DO NOT PUT GEAR LUBE IN A TRANSFER CASE. The transfer case depending on model and year will take Autotrac II fluid or Auto Trans Fluid. but never gear lube.

As for AMSOIL gear lubes getting dirty faster, no they do not.

d3adpool
07-25-10, 03:37 PM
what does the factory put in the front and rear diff?? surely it isn't amsoil.

Z71
07-25-10, 08:30 PM
75W-90 synthetic gear lube.

No, its not AMSOIL. Who knows what it is? Some will tell you its this or its that but each plant likely sources from a different supplier and you know they are shopping for the lowest price.

The fact is that GM, like so many other OEM's, contract with one or more oil companies to supply their lubricants. Often, the decision as to who actually gets the contract is based on low bid, and like almost everything manufactured by a low bidder, short cuts are taken in order to meet the low price

agapeEscalade
09-10-10, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the post!

hamkan
10-05-10, 06:29 PM
Great work guys, this forum is the best place for newbies like me

hamkan
10-05-10, 06:37 PM
I'll appreciate if someone can help me with figuring out the different kinds of oils I need for my 2004 Escalade ESV.

I'll be changing the

Transmission -
Differentials -
Transfer Case -

Can you please tell me exactly how much oil and of which kind will I need for each and also the brand I should use. In addition since I just purchased the truck (with 48000 miles) do you recommend anything else I should do on it.

I'll really appreciate your help, new to the caddy world and little scared and confused (also thinking about buying an extended warranty although don't want to).

Thanks,

Hamkan

hamkan
10-06-10, 05:09 PM
I'll appreciate if someone can help me with figuring out the different kinds of oils I need for my 2004 Escalade ESV.

I'll be changing the

Transmission -
Differentials -
Transfer Case -

Can you please tell me exactly how much oil and of which kind will I need for each and also the brand I should use. In addition since I just purchased the truck (with 48000 miles) do you recommend anything else I should do on it.

I'll really appreciate your help, new to the caddy world and little scared and confused (also thinking about buying an extended warranty although don't want to).

Thanks,

Hamkan

Anyone, I'll appreciate the help :)

eurocarman
10-07-10, 06:26 PM
I would like to know where you found these numbers? I knew when I saw RedLine on the wrong end of the list there was a problem.
75w90 Red Line is 65,900cP I assume you were talking low temperature viscosity (Centipoise=cP) correct?:hmm:

Heres some info on brookfield viscosity between brands. NOTE: Less number is better: ALL ARE SYNTHETIC 75W90
Amsoil severe Gear 68,150
Pennzoil 85,000
Mobil 1 85,560
GM Syn Axel 93,730
Mopar with LS 101,350
Valvoline Synpower 102,500
Castrol Syntec 149,850
******************************************* CUTOFF HERE MAX ALLOWABLE IS 150,000. Anything below is not to be used.
Red Line 164,100
Royal Purple Max 389,500
LUCAS 200,000 plus

There goes my lucas idea.....lol
My mechanic uses Pennzoil, so I am cool with the choice. I will however now change the fliud myself every year.

sk7
10-09-10, 02:21 PM

I'll be changing the

Transmission -
Differentials -
Transfer Case -

Thanks,

Hamkan

At 48K miles I would wait for the tranny, unless you know it was under severe duty. But the TC and diffs is a good investment. Best place for the type & quantity of oil needed is in the owners manual. As for brand its up to you. I would recommend going synthetic for the front diff, as it is a weak area. Now that you found this forum you forget about buying an extended warranty! Keep us posted.

Z71
10-09-10, 02:45 PM

I'll be changing the

Transmission -
Differentials -
Transfer Case -

Thanks,

Hamkan

2004 CADILLAC ESCALADE ESV 6.0L 8-cyl Engine Code [N]

CAPACITIES: Engine, with filter..........6.1 quarts [1]
Cooling System, Initial Fill..........16 quarts
Automatic Transmission, 4L65-E Initial Fill..........5 quarts<---just dropping pan
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
4 speed 4L65-E..........11.3 quarts
Differential, With 8.25 RingGear Front..........3 pints
Differential, With 9.25 RingGear Front..........3.2 pints
Differential, With 10.50 RingGear Rear..........5.5 pints
Differential, With 11.50 RingGear Rear..........7.7 pints
Differential, With 8.60 RingGear Rear..........4.3 pints
Differential, With 9.50 RingGear Rear..........5.5 pints
Transfer Case, BW 4481-NR3..........3 pints
Transfer Case, BW 4482-NR4..........3 pints
[1] After refill check oil level.

TORQUES: Oil Drain Plug.....18 ft/lbs
Transfer Case
Fill Plug 18 ft/lbs
Drain Plug 18 ft/lbs

Here are the AMSOIL Lubricant to use... (product codes)
Transmission - Synthetic Fuel Efficient Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATLQT)

Front/Rear Differentials - Severe Gear 75W-90 Gear Lube (SVGQT)

Transfer Case - Synthetic Fuel Efficient Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATLQT)

Find this information by following this link & looking up your vehicle(s): --->LOOKUP GUIDE (http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=34396&page=appguide)

hamkan
10-10-10, 01:34 AM
Thanks sk7 and Z71 for your help!

I changed the front diff and transfer case today, couldn't open the bolts on the rear diff to drain the oil, any suggestions on how to open them???

Will do the transmission flush tomorrow

hamkan
10-10-10, 01:35 AM
And thanks of course to OP for a very nice write up!

Z71
10-10-10, 07:20 AM
You will have to remove the rear cover. Need a gasket before you do that though. Its the preferred method to change the rear lube. There is a magnet attached to inside of cover that will collect metal debris and that should be cleaned as well.

Tip-refrain from using the so called - form-a-gasket in a tube. While is may seem cheap and easy, it take more time and effort to use. First you need to get one that is suitable for the intended use, the surfaces must be very clean and you must follow instructions to the letter. Gasket is way easier IMO..

jackjroadster
11-17-10, 05:33 AM
i thought form-a-gasket in a tube method is better..

ALAALDEAN
03-25-11, 10:37 AM
first i would like to thank you all how gave info for changing oil .
I would need help fixing a problem I’m having, I have escalade ext 05
a changed the fluid's in front and rear diff with gm 80w90 oil and transfer case with autotrac 11
after 2 weeks some noise a peered when i accelerate moor noise comes after that I went to see a mechanic who is suppose to be a professional in transmission and differential cases after hearing the sound he told me that I have don the biggest mistake by using gm 80w90 and that I should have used 75w90 and now I have to change all my differential cases ?????
the car is working fine only that noise like whining when accelerate I can’t believe that my differential cases are gone that easily please I need advise

Z71
03-25-11, 10:58 AM
They do require a synthetic gear lube, 75W-90 to be precise but the main reason for using synthetic is better fuel economy and better hot temp protection for the gears. 80W-90 could use 5% more fuel.

Its very doubtful the gear lube caused problems unless you let someone talk you into adding a posi additive to the rear axle? Are you sure the noise is from the drive train and not something else such as alternator?

I don't think anything is ruined, gear whine is very common.

Z71
03-25-11, 11:01 AM
i thought form-a-gasket in a tube method is better..

Matter of opinion. It can be messy and if not done properly may leak. GM uses gaskets for a reason, liquid sealants do not have a good track record mainly because people do not follow the instructions for using it correctly, such as choosing the correct type for the lubricants involved or allowing time to cure before assembly, adding lubes and or driving.

ALAALDEAN
03-25-11, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the quick response
I took my car to a garage they lifted the car and tested by driving it on the air? they told me that the sound is coming from the rear shaft that goes to the diff and it’s most likely the rear diff but they can’t be 100% sure and regarding my oil change yes they did give me 2 small bottle as addition to the 80w90 they said it will reduce gear noise and it is important to add?? Is that the cause of my problem? Any help is appreciated

Z71
03-25-11, 12:24 PM
Those additives are for use in Limited Slip Differential which are installed in performance cars and anyone who told you to use that in your Escalade was misinformed. Drain it out ASAP
Note-You may have to change the fluid several times to remove all that additive that has coated all the parts inside the locker or get them to flush it out good.

from a Bulletin

If a GM dealer parts people sold you on this then they are idiots and I would not give them the satisfaction of selling you more gear lube.

#PIP4054C: Eaton Locking Differential Chatter Shudder Noise on Turns - keywords bind grab grind - (Aug 26, 2008)

Subject: Eaton Locking Differential Chatter Shudder Noise on Turns

Models: 2004-2007 Buick Rainier

2000-2009 Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT

2002-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche

2004-2009 Chevrolet Colorado

2003-2009 Chevrolet Express

2000-2009 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe

2000-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic

2007-2009 Chevrolet Silverado

2002-2009 Chevrolet Trailblazer

2004-2009 GMC Canyon

2002-2009 GMC Envoy

2000-2009 GMC Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL

2000-2007 GMC Sierra Classic

2007-2009 GMC Sierra

2003-2009 GMC Savana

Equipped With a Locking Rear Differential RPO G80

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Customers may comment on a chatter or shudder from the rear axle on vehicles equipped with an Eaton locking differential. This condition would be noticed in parking lot maneuvers, turning, or during locking differential engagement and may be more noticeable when the differential is hot. Locking differential clutch chatter may be causing this concern.

Note 1: This does not apply to vehicles equipped with RPO QS4 (Quadrasteer) which is part of option package NYS. Quadrasteer vehicles use Dana axles and have a different fluid requirement.

Note 2: This PI does not apply to vehicles equipped with a RPO G86 limited slip differential.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If differential clutch chatter is encountered in a vehicle equipped with an Eaton locking differential, flush, drain and refill the differential with new synthetic fluid, use the fluid part number listed in SI for the vehicle currently being worked on. If the condition returns replace the rear differential clutch plates and refill the differential with new synthetic fluid, use the fluid part number listed in SI for the vehicle currently being worked on. Refer to eSI for clutch plate replacement and set up procedures.

Note 1: Eaton locking differentials used in 10.5" rear axles are equipped with steel clutch plates. It is a design characteristic of these steel clutch plates to exhibit more clutch chatter than other models.

***Important: Installing any friction modifier causes the clutch pack in the locking differential to slip and miss engagement. A fluid flush can often remove debris that is a contributor to clutch chatter. Adding friction modifier additive can cause a loss of locking differential functionality***

ALAALDEAN
03-25-11, 12:52 PM
Hi a gain
I can’t thank you enough for this information hope I’m not too late to do this.
i'm going to darin it all,can i use wd40 to clean the gears?? or changing twice will do.

Z71
03-25-11, 01:02 PM
No DO NOT USE WD40 it will not clean but leave a residue behind. Use brake cleaner BUT be advised brake cleaner is extremely hazardous and if misused can cause DEATH or fire. If sprayed on hot surface or come in contact with flamecan turn to deadly poisonous gas such as Phosgene. USE IN WELL VENTILATED AREA and read the warning on the can, they will scare you.

I would be inclined to change it 2x. Change 1x, drive for a 100 miles and change again making sure you do a lot of turning to work the fluid into the G80. That should to it. If the noise goes away you know you solved the problem

ALAALDEAN
03-25-11, 01:21 PM
Thank you very much for all the help and support, the best thing I have done is joining this forum and meeting people like u.
Thanks again.

Z71
03-25-11, 01:30 PM
Your welcome, glad to be of help.

ESV_Platinum
03-28-11, 10:11 PM
Thank you for the writeup, this is a great forum with great members!!

So it has been a couple of years since this thread was created, and about a year since anyone has made recommendations regarding oil brands/types/weights.

What is the year 2011 general consensus for a 2004 ESV for Transmission, Transfer Case, Front Differential and Rear Differential? Do I have to use the amsoil products? (can't find them anywhere locally, dont want to wait for an online order)

carbonlaced
04-11-11, 03:09 PM
This is life saving since I've already had to have it rebuilt once already

Douglas Mariani
04-14-11, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the Info

enger126
04-20-11, 12:44 AM
I just replaced the front diff fluid today thanks for all the info guys.

ESV_Platinum
06-19-11, 08:58 PM
ok seriously there were like 4 quarts of ATF in my transfer case, that came flying out when i took off the fill plug off.

Not too sure why so much was in there, or if the fact that I only put 2 quarts of ATF Dexron III in will hurt the transfer case (considering it is probably half the amount of fluid that was in there)

Going to call cadillac service tomorrow

Also, I can't believe how bad the fluid in the front and rear differentials were. the truck has 80k miles and the amount of metal shavings on the front diff drain plug was frightening to say the least

slidewayz
01-03-12, 01:08 AM
So guys im sorry for sounding like a tard but honestly this is the best forum i could have joined according to cadillac dealers i need 1200 dollars in services and U joints, and stupid stuff from a "whining" and a "clunk"....so im gonna service everything myself.

If i gathered everything I need how many quarts of: synthetic gear lube 75W-90?

And how many of Dex VI?

wake
01-29-12, 05:12 PM
Hope this hasn't been asked before, but I was surprised nothing came up in the search.

Anyone used Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF or Mobil ATF D/M in the transfer case?

My owners manual states Dexron III meeting the, 'H' specification. Mobil's website shows both these fluids to meet Dexron III-H specification.

William01
03-12-12, 03:13 PM
Hi all,
First Thanks for posting this and any other posts concerning DIY maintenance, it has been a great help for me. I have had a whining noise coming from the front diff I think. This weekend I changed out the front diff fluid with Mobil1 75W90. The plug surprisingly didn't even look as bad as the one in the pictures, but still had some shavings on it and fluid was black almost grayish in color. It took a little less than 2 qts of the new. I drove right afterwards maybe about 2 miles, and it seemed to quiet the noise a little bit but it was slightly still there. Later in the day the noise seemed to be back in full force, well maybe a little less, but just as discouraging. Now I don't know if it is just regular gear noise I am hearing or my diff is shot. The only reason why I have not changed the TC, is because there is obviously alot of confusion about what to use. I am not the type of guy who is going to buy online and wait for the mail. I want to be able to go to the store and pick up what I need and use it. I am still waiting on clarification. The auto parts store has a ATF Dexron 6 that says it should be used, and the clerk there told me the same, but still kind of sceptical about that because most people do not really know, and it's not their truck so why would they care right?

Silver04
03-12-12, 03:37 PM
The auto parts store is correct. I just dumped my TC this past weekend and put 2 quarts in. My truck is an 04 and the owners manuel called for Dex III, which the Dex VI replaced. I double checked as well and it even says as much on the bottle.

Z71
03-12-12, 04:13 PM
Any vehicle that previously used DEXRON-III for a manual transmission or transfer case should now use p/n 88861800 (88861801 in Canada) Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid. And power steering systems should now use p/n 89020661 (89021183 in Canada) Power Steering Fluid.

Manual Transmission Lubricant

By techarchive on August 1, 2006 8:34 PM| No Comments (http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2006/08/manual-transmission-lubricant.html#comments)

DO NOTÂ use Dexron VI in place of manual transmission fluid in any manual transmissions or transfer cases that specify Dexron III, as a failure may result.

Document ID# 1897292

Subject:Manual Transmission Fluid Usage In 2007 And Prior Manual Transmissions And Transfer Cases - keywords case fluid manual transmission transfer #PIP3836B - (02/05/2007)

Models:2007 and Prior Passenger Cars and Trucks
2007 and Prior HUMMER H2
2007 HUMMER H3
2007 and Prior Saturn Passenger Cars and Trucks

This PI is superseded to add a note under concerns. Please discard PIP3836A.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:

Use of manual transmission fluid part number 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada) in place of Dexron III.

Important Note: If the vehicle owners manual lists Dexron VI as the recommended transmission, transaxle or transfer case fluid disregard any information supplied in this PI. Use eSI and or the vehicle owners manual to determine what type of fluid should be used prior to referencing the below information

Recommendation/Instructions:

Manual Transmission fluid part number 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada) is currently available through GMSPO. Current and past model vehicles listed above with either a manual transmission or transfer case that REQUIRE Dexron III should use the above listed manual transmission fluid. This fluid is a direct replacement for Dexron III in manual transmissions and transfer cases. DO NOT use Dexron VI in place of the manual transmission fluid in any manual transmissions or transfer cases as a failure may result.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

William01
03-12-12, 06:07 PM
like I said, and then we see something like this which makes you think???

zogg
03-14-12, 01:54 PM
I suspect you do have some differential wear....changing the fluid will generally not "fix" is issue. I would guess a warn ring and pinion and maybe the bearings are warn, too. I had an explorer with a bad rear differential and replaced the fluid with 90/140....helped for a little bit, but the overhaul is what fixed it.

From what I ee here, it seems the front differentials are not a strong as they ought to be....lots of rebuilds. The dealer is real expensive. I found a really good young mechanic that is an expert on these things and he saved me over $1000....good luck

kippjones
03-17-12, 09:15 PM
I did my front diff and TC today. Piece of cake. I miss doing this work. Great weather today and was out in my driveway listening to some good tunes.

For the rear diff, I need to pull the cover, correct?

zogg
03-18-12, 01:52 AM
Yep....some will say to only loosen it and pry open the bottom...I like to remove it and reach in and drag out all the goo in the bottom. What is the since of changing "most of it"...

C66 Racing
03-23-12, 09:07 AM
Understand that some won't want to wait for the mail, but sometimes the wait may be worth it. AMSOIL makes two fluids suitable for Dexron III applications.

AMSOIL Torque-Drive Synthetic Transmission Fluid (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/Product%20Bulletins/ATDPB.htm) (Product Code ATD1G)
This is the fluid AMSOIL recommends for GM manual trannies that required Dexron III spec fluid. I used this for about a year in my 06 CTS-V before I sold it in 09, and have been using it in my 02 Corvette Z06 at the track for about five years now.

AMSOIL Multi-Vehicle ATF (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/Product%20Bulletins/ATFPB.htm) (Product Code ATFQT)
This is the fluid AMSOIL recommends for GM automatic trannies that required Dexron III spec fluid. I use this in my 03 Chevy Trailblazer (5.3L V-8).

I can get either of the above for forum members at dealer wholesale, about 25% below retail, via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (http://www.c66racing-synthetics.com/Preferredcustomer.htm). AMSOIL has 11 distribution centers located around the country, so while shipping time varies, it is generally less than about four days from when I get the order. Drop me a PM if interested.
:cheers:

wake
03-27-12, 01:04 AM
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m118/Patrick7997/DSC00488.jpg

That drain plug is a magnetic plug, and hopefully you can see, there is a lot of material stuck on there....

Just a tip, that mess you see on the drain plug likely is only a portion of the gunk in the bottom of the case.

I changed mine after purchase at 83K miles. I put the plug back in and removed it several times, each time the plug came out looking like it did the first time. After getting tired of screwing it in and out all those times I grabbed a magnetic pickup I had in my tool box and pulled about 20 times more that amount of metallic gunk in the bottom of the case.

I put in about 8 oz of axle lube in and let it rinse out some more from the bottom of the case before I buttoned it back up and filled it.

kippjones
04-01-12, 01:12 AM
So after my fluid change the noise I heard in the front was noticeably louder. I wonder if the seller put something in there to quite the noise. Took it to my reputable dealer, $450 to open it and look at it, they said if I waited longer the repair would be significant. It appeared who ever worked on it before did not do a good job with a repair. They rebuilt the front diff ( replaced all the bearings and such) out the door for $1400.00. All quiet now. I am happy.

kippjones
04-01-12, 04:03 AM
Advice to you, if you hear a noise, get it in before a $1400 repair becomes a $3000 repair.

Key Programmer
04-04-12, 04:20 AM
Hey Pat thanks for the very detailed post. I changed my front diff fluid this weekend and was amazed (and disgusted) as to how dirty that oil had gotten. The drain plug was exactly as you described, completely covered in shavings. After completely draining the case I replaced the drain plug and unscrewed it a second time, just to see if it picked up any remaining metal in there. Sure enough, it was completely covered again! I wiped it clean, and repeated this step about 10 more times. Even with an empty case, the magnetic plug was picking up those microscopic metal shavings everytime I screwed/unscrewed it. Was my differential abnormally dirty? I pumped 2 quarts of 75w-90 in and called it a day, but am tempted to change the oil again just to make sure I got everything out...

jd_mpmt
04-06-12, 09:32 AM
Thank you so much for this post!! I just bought my 05 ESV last week with 111,000 on it and have no idea when these fluids were changed. I ordered by AMSOIL and Ill complete this all next week. Caddy dealer did a full Trans service with new filter as part of my buy deal but I forgot to demand AMSOIL :hmm:. Ive been running it in my JEEP and in the past all my Harleys have run on it. Great products IMO....Thanks again to others as a new and never before Caddy owner stuff like this is worth its weight in gold....well almost;)

jd_mpmt
04-22-12, 05:42 PM
Oh and you guys were not kidding about the fill level of the transfer case. I took the fill plug about and about 3/4 of a quart shot right over my pan. I'm amazed how much was in there. Hit for another newbie like me use two pans or a longer tray instead of a traditional oil pan like I used.

CEPMAN
08-24-12, 10:17 PM
How much (ball park) would one be looking at to replace all three?

Je357
09-20-12, 06:33 PM
thanks for the write up...did my front diff today..smooth cause of your directions...

LongRX7
10-05-12, 01:22 AM
I was planning to use 75w140 Valvoline full synthetic gear oil in the front diff and the 75w90 in Valvoline full synthetic gear oil in the rear diff for my 2005 Escalade AWD. Do you think there would be any adverse effect? Autozone didn't have enough Mobil One full synthetic gear oil. Still expensive... $13 each for 3 qts of 75w140 and $11 each for 4 qts 75w90. So like $90 for all. Couldn't find and Dex III or Dex VI for the transfer case... The had something like Merc/Dex combo???

Slapperbar
10-05-12, 07:13 AM
Why 140? Is there something wrong with your front diff? You may see a slight drop in fuel mileage with the 140.

LongRX7
10-05-12, 04:23 PM
lol...cause that's what Patrick uses? Is there a reason I shouldn't use 140? It does say light truck and SUV on it... Listening and learning....

Slapperbar
10-05-12, 05:58 PM
FSM section 6-13.

boge
10-05-12, 08:00 PM
Great post ! I won't sleep until I change my fluids

LongRX7
10-07-12, 07:39 AM
Just drained and replaced my front and rear diff. Used Valvoline full synthetic 75w90 on both. Only drained about 1 3/4 quart out the rear diff. Added a little over 4 1/4 quarts. Rear diff lube, looked nasty black. Not too hard to refill with 1 quart bottles. Only drained about 1 1/2 quart out the front diff. Filled a little under 2 quarts into the front. Front diff fluid was still pretty clear. Refilling took forever, next time I will definitely use a pump like Patrick did. Haven't done the transfer case yet, having trouble finding Dex III.

Changed the oil too :)

Did all of this without jacking up or raising the Escalade :)

Going to have CNG installed in it this week, so I figured I better do the rear diff at least :)

boge
10-22-12, 06:28 PM
I'm seeing a lot of debate between dex 3 and 6 for the grander case. Would I be alright with using the ac delco transfer case fluid auto trak ll part no 10-4017. And does anyone know where I can get a pump to use to get the fluid up into the differentials and xref case

48548m
10-22-12, 09:00 PM
Auto trakII is only for part time 4 wheel drive with the auto 4 wheel drive button only. Not awd or 3/4 ton and up.

icaddy
10-23-12, 12:02 PM
Guys, have you read the Owner's manual? According to the manual, the "proper level is from 5/8 inch to 1-5/8 inch
(15 mm to 40 mm) below the bottom of the filler plug hole, located on the rear axle."

Z71
10-23-12, 12:13 PM
AutoTrac II should only be used in the transfer case 2006 and earlier vehicles. DO NOT use it in any differential as failure will result.

Dexron VI CAN ONLY be used in 2007 up BW4485 rpo NR3 (Borg-Warner).

DO NOT use 75W-140, its a heavy fluid and will result in reduced fuel economy and could cause the front axle to generate more heat to overcome the thick lube, it will be like molasses in cold temps. 75W-140 is primarly for use in HD Fords and other HD rear axle. GM recommends 75W-90 synthetic on all it SUV's and trucks.

You can find one of these at just about any auto parts store or order it on line at link below
http://www.amsoil.com/products/ExtractionPump_300.jpg...Fluid Pump (http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/g2576.aspx?zo=34396)

boge
10-23-12, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the info guys and the link z71

augdogg
10-25-12, 02:29 PM
Changed fluids today, great post. Marine pump worked flawless, available at Walmart for $10

texdlyght
12-01-12, 02:47 PM
I was wondering if Mobile one synthetic ATF would be alright to use in my transfer case in my 02 AWD Escalade?

Z71
12-01-12, 04:13 PM
Yes according to my Motor Information Guide, as long as its a Dexron III fluid, need 5 pints.

Dexron III is being phased out as a product name. It is being renamed ManualTransmission Fluid and carries p/n 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada).

If fluid p/n 88861800 U.S.(88861801 Canada)is not yet available when servicing a manual transmission or transfer case,Dexron III can be used in its place.

DO NOT use Dexron VI in place of manual transmission fluid in any manual transmissions or transfer cases that specifyDexron III, as a failure may result.

Slapperbar
12-01-12, 05:30 PM
5 is too much, 2 filled the NR3 case in my ESV.

texdlyght
12-02-12, 04:00 PM
Thank you for the replies, I've changed the oil in my front diff and transfer case both with synthetic mobile one oil but I've been reading a few different threads and I've just seen someone talking about an additive that needs to be added to the front and rear diffs. I'd just like to know before something bad happens. Is the "anti-slip" additive really needed?

48548m
12-02-12, 05:30 PM
No because these aren't posi's with clutches. Also most synthetic comes with it built in.

Z71
12-02-12, 05:49 PM
2000-2013 Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT equipped With a Locking Rear Differential RPO G80

All light duty trucks/SUVs equipped with RPO G80 make use of a locking differential and the use of additives will delay the engagement of the locking mechanism and may decrease axle life.

Note-thats not to say you cannot use any gear that says its suitable for use in limited slip differentials. Its the additive that you should not use, different chemistries.

Note - Rear axle additives are designed for use in limited slip differentials which are normally installed in cars.

Pitbull14218
01-12-13, 06:53 PM
I just changed he front diff fluid in my 02 EXT, it didnt look dark when it was coming out but in the pan(black) it looked dirty. I used Mobil one 75w90 full synthetic LS........

Every parts store I went to all the synthetic gear oil was for limited slip differentials... Mobil one said hybrid synthetic for use in either, so I hope it's ok to use.

I still hear a grinding noise the same as before I changed the gear oil. It might be my transfer case, so ill be doin that next.

safchin
02-14-13, 09:11 PM
just looked up the lucas synthetic sae 75w-90 gear oil trans and diff lube they call it (NEW AND IMPROVED) it has a rating from brookfield viscosity of 80,000 cps.

----------

check the viscosity on lucas sae 75w-90 synthetic new and improved its 80000 not 200000cps

wilbanks51
11-04-14, 04:41 PM
Thanks a bunch!