: Just got a 02 EXT and the key doesnít always turn

mxracer170
06-11-08, 03:56 AM
I just picked up a 02 EXT and the key doesnít always turn. The dealer I picked it up from wasnít very helpful on the ignition key issue. He just said you have to play with the memory seat until you find the right spot and the key will turn. I can get it to turn but it usually takes me a minute or two.

Is this some goofy security feature I havenít figured out?

hcvone
06-11-08, 06:37 AM
Welcome to the Forum. :) Moving this to the 99'-2006 section, you may get more help there. :)

hcvone
06-11-08, 06:41 AM
I just picked up a 02 EXT and the key doesnít always turn. The dealer I picked it up from wasnít very helpful on the ignition key issue. He just said you have to play with the memory seat until you find the right spot and the key will turn. I can get it to turn but it usually takes me a minute or two.

Is this some goofy security feature I havenít figured out?

The seat has nothing to do with the key turning? When you say it does turn, you mean you have to giggle the key in the ignition before it will turn? Did you do a Car Fax report? It sounds like the ignition may have been replaced, just a guess

mxracer170
06-11-08, 05:35 PM
I didn't do a carfax check before I bought it.

I just turn the key back and fourth a couple times and then finally it'll start. I've also tried doing it without moving the seat at all and it doesn't make a difference if I'm playing with the seat position or not. Sometimes it starts right away and sometimes it takes a little playing.

hcvone
06-11-08, 06:23 PM
How many miles on the truck?

ZX_man
06-12-08, 01:12 AM
Is the force required to turn the key always the same? Does it feel like it is hanging up, or does nothing happen when you turn it several times? I've seen similar issues on other vehicles, graphite powder (which basically is a dry lubricant) applied into the ignition slot usually fixes the problem. I've used it on my DD Honda Accord and it fixed the hard turn, sticking issue. I would steer clear of anything like WD-40 or any other liquid lube used on the ignition. Do you have both sets of keys?

Walter

mxracer170
06-16-08, 09:50 PM
It seems to turn smooth. The truck does have quite a few miles on it 150K and I only have 1 key. As I drive it more it seems to become less of an issue. Maybe I'm just getting the technique down.

sj22
06-19-08, 08:32 AM
I had a similar problem with the ignition after my son used the ignition key to pop out the wheels of his heelys shoes. It was slightly bended. Hard to notice visually. But once I straightened it out, the problem went away. Hope this helps

Shaw

hcvone
06-19-08, 09:33 AM
It seems to turn smooth. The truck does have quite a few miles on it 150K and I only have 1 key. As I drive it more it seems to become less of an issue. Maybe I'm just getting the technique down.

At 150k it maybe just worn out

Lu Scola
06-21-08, 04:17 AM
Hold the cruise control button while starting. we have had this problem a few times at my dealership.

Rolex
06-22-08, 10:08 PM
I'm not clear of the key won't physically turn, or if it turns and the vehicle doesn't start.

If the key won't turn, try moving the steering wheel left and right a little to release the lock.

Lu Scola
06-23-08, 04:01 AM
try the steering wheek]l ajustment if steering wheel is in lock position mave it from 19 to 2 bqck and forth while wiggling the key. Maybe the threads on the key are worn and a little off. I have to do that with my house key all the time.

ewill3rd
06-23-08, 08:23 AM
If the key physically will not turn without "jiggling" it or something then throw it away, go to a reputable dealer and have them cut you a new key by doing a key lookup and cutting it from the key code they get back from GM.
Over the years copies have been made and the cuts are probably slightly off. Try both sides of the key, sometimes they will get one side right and the other side off a little bit.

It doesn't have anything to do with the memory seat for sure, what kind of crack head told you that? :histeric: