: My 57 Chevy is finally done.. so im back!

1990CaddyBrougham
06-10-08, 11:06 PM
This is what put my 81 on the back burner.

Have owned it in the family for the past 13 years, i got it 3 years ago when i turned 16. Now at 19, its Done!!!!!

Complete strip and repaint
New glass
Trim and chrome re-done
All new interior.

It was a recovered theft/vandalism when i got it.

3 years of a turn around. I know its not a cadillac, but its a pretty bad ass car.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/towncar097/DSC06160.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/towncar097/DSC06163.jpg

Playdrv4me
06-10-08, 11:10 PM
Wow that looks FANTASTIC, Congrats! What's under the hood?

ryannel2003
06-10-08, 11:21 PM
My grandfather has one of those rusting away in his garage :( I love looking at it, an old piece of Americana.

Gorgeous car. Don't see too many 4 doors around these days.

MauiV
06-10-08, 11:23 PM
I like the original look and not the hot rod with Crager rims and shit on it. To many people mess up the 2 doors.

VERY nice. Good job

Night Wolf
06-10-08, 11:53 PM
Wow, that is awesome!

Everytime I see a '57 Chevy, it reminds me of the movie Sin City when he sorta spins the car around to a stop and the camera points right at the rear quarter panel/tail fin and you can see the BelAir emblem... that was really cool, wasn't a big part in the movie, but stuff like that sticks in my mind.

Of course in that movie, the best part was with the '59 Caddy convertible, everything was black and white, the Caddy was red, hes driving it down the road pissed off and they sorta pan the camera over the car then zoom out on the front, then go back over the back from the top and then zoom out on the back.... that was awesome, can't find clips of it online tho.

Anymore pictures of the car? any of the interior?

I'd like to get a classic one day... right now just isn't the time... just something to be said for these cars.

Heh, found a clip of the BelAir, it's a wagon... it's at 3:18 in the video.... so cool...

3SRpLKkT0TQ&feature=related

this isn't the whole scene (which is really cool) but you can see a quick shot of the '59 Caddy in this video... 2:35... it's just way too cool...

nWy1JLuP8MY&feature=related

a bit more of the Caddy at 1:25 in this... sorta shows some of the pan, real cool...

j_BsoARIvp8&feature=related

Here it is... I keep watching more of these music videos, and this one has most all of the pan... its back to front, not front to back.... man, if that dosen't make ya want a '59 Caddy I dunno what will, it's at 1:06, then makes a comback at 1:58, heh, then the BelAir is right after that at 2:06

70vH5d3xc_g&feature=related

Sorry for all the Sin City videos.... heh, like I said, I see the '57 Chevy and it reminds me of that, same with a '59 Caddy.... I remember seeing that movie in the theater, my favorite part of the whole movie was all the cars and how well they used them.... and Jessica Alba...

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-11-08, 12:10 AM
Good golly miss molly. I love it. They really do not make cars like they used to. I like how all the 50's cars have that lowcut grill that makes the car look like it should have drool running out the corner. I want some intrerior shots. Interiors from this era were fantastic because they were made of metal instead of plastic.

Why is there a trailer hitch on the back?

gdwriter
06-11-08, 01:16 AM
Damn, that car is gorgeous. As most here know (and considering what I own), I love the four-door hardtop body style.

urbanski
06-11-08, 06:33 AM
yeop, she is badass!

eyekandyboats.inc
06-11-08, 08:25 AM
man that is so nice... you are one lucky 19 year old.

Submariner409
06-11-08, 08:49 AM
You lucky bastard.......I'm jealous. Nice work.

dwight.j.carter
06-11-08, 12:57 PM
that is an awesome car.

AlBundy
06-11-08, 01:09 PM

:yeah:You have skills Sir.:thumbsup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-11-08, 01:42 PM
Very nice, don't see many 1957 hardtop sedans! Most of the '57 Chevs I see are coupes or converts.

STScadillac
06-11-08, 02:18 PM
very very very nice car!

Rolex
06-11-08, 02:31 PM
:envious: :cool2:

EcSTSatic
06-11-08, 04:29 PM

Ditto!
Don't make the mistake us old farts have done selling off these timeless classics and wishing we had them back!

Cadillacboy
06-11-08, 05:00 PM
What a beauty

ejguillot
06-11-08, 06:01 PM
Well done! Can't wait to see what you do with the 81 Caddy.

96Fleetwood
06-11-08, 06:22 PM
Wow, that is a beauty! Did you do all the work yourself?

:worship:

1990CaddyBrougham
06-11-08, 10:55 PM
Thanks for all the compliments guys.... even on a Chevrolet. haha...

The motor is its original 283 V8. She only has 69,889 miles on her since i parked her in the garage today. Tranny is the original 2 speed powerglide.....

THe hitch is for my childhood "toy"
My dad has a 57 Convertible in red, and for my 10th? birthday he bought me a replica go cart. 5 hp go cart with a red 57 fiberglass body. Right down to the white wall tires.
Since i am a bit older now we have it on a trailer with a checker board floor and use to tow it around behind my pops ragtop. It was quite a sight. Now with all these gifts i had to pay him back.. I got him a original continental kit and painted it to match. Since then we cant have the hitch on his car. So its on mine.

I dont think ill sell it anytime soon. too much sweat and time into it. But someday i do want to sell it for a 59 Cadillac Coupe or Convertible. Thats my ultimate car right there.

As far as the work. I did it all myself. Striped it down, did the minimal body work. Painted it myself. Wetsanded and buffed myself. Interior was doen myself, with the help of my dad. Re-assembled myself.

Only thing im leaving for the pros is the exhaust, and i had a guy do all my glass work. Minus that its been restored by a 19 year old over a 3 year span. Not a trailer queen, but a damn nice cruiser.

Chad, the actual term for it its a Four door hardtop. The "sedans" were the cheaper ones with the post doors. These are postless... to give off a cleaner look.

Here are a few more shots.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/towncar097/57%20Chevys/DSC06199.jpg
Thats my dads ragtop
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/towncar097/57%20Chevys/DSC06186.jpg
The dash board has 2 huge dents in it, and all the cluster, and lenses were smashed with a hammer.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/towncar097/57%20Chevys/DSC06171.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/towncar097/57%20Chevys/DSC06159.jpg

Seats after we re-covered them.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/towncar097/57%20Chevys/425363_21_full.jpg

Playdrv4me
06-11-08, 11:05 PM
Gorgeous, you did a fantastic job and you ought to be extremely proud of yourself. I simply don't have that technical ability.

Now what's this about the dash on your dad's car being smashed with a hammer?!

1990CaddyBrougham
06-11-08, 11:32 PM
It was my car that was vandilzed.

When we bought it it was a recovered theft/ vandalism. Wasnt a total, but the owners didnt want it back.

The D bags who did it, cut up every piece of fabric in the car. The original 50 year old seat covers were under those clear custom fitted covers.... they cut threw both. Every piece of glass minus the rear window was smashed. dash was beat with a hammer, and all the clock, cluster, radio ect was well destroyed.

hueterm
06-12-08, 05:16 AM
So are you going to restore your '81 w/the same level of skill? Gorgeous Chevy -- perfect color combination!

Submariner409
06-12-08, 11:12 AM
1990.....Did you use a lot of Year One ? Who else ??? An old GF's father had the nearly identical convertible and let us use it for drive-in movies. Man, did I get an education in that thing......

Your traffic light eye and steering wheel spinner are perfect.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-12-08, 11:42 AM
It's so cool seeing someone my age restoring '50s cars when everyone else our age is working on their Nissan, Honda, Dodge, etc etc.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-12-08, 12:36 PM
Its good that you know body work. I simply do not have the patience to do it. There is a guy who lives by me that makes his living restoring old cars and selling them. One day I will stop by and take a few pictures of the cars he has out front.

I didn't even notice the traffic eye until submariner pointed it out. That is actually the reason I only drive big cars. Small cars have too low of a roof line for my height and I can never see the traffic light.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-12-08, 01:19 PM
Oh that's what that is! I thought it was an auto dimming high-beam feature. How does that work?

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-12-08, 01:54 PM
Its just the way the glass is shaped. It allows for there to be a reflection of the traffic light, so you don't have to lean forward to look at the light under the roof line. They were very common on the Suburbans because the roof line completely obstructed the light, not matter how tall you were. It is nothing but a prism.

http://a763.g.akamai.net/7/763/1644/3/app.infopia.com/img/image/fp/VPID/4298645/img3/img.jpg

http://www.cruisermotorsports.com/Traffic%20Light%20Viewer1.jpg

gdwriter
06-12-08, 02:36 PM
It was my car that was vandilzed.

When we bought it it was a recovered theft/ vandalism. Wasnt a total, but the owners didnt want it back.

The D bags who did it, cut up every piece of fabric in the car. The original 50 year old seat covers were under those clear custom fitted covers.... they cut threw both. Every piece of glass minus the rear window was smashed. dash was beat with a hammer, and all the clock, cluster, radio ect was well destroyed.How anybody could vandalize such a beautiful piece of machinery is beyond me. Nice to see you bring it back to it's original glory.

BTW, in Chevy lingo, 4-door hardtops are known as Sport Sedans. First year was '56, last year was '76. It's a body style I definitely miss.

orconn
06-12-08, 08:32 PM
My hat off to you, a really great restoration job! I am especially fond of the '57 GM cars and the hardtop (pillarless) coupes and sedans in particular. The four doors were the closest thing you could get to the "phaetons" and touring cars of the thirties (till the Continental four door convertible came out in '61). With all four windows down they gave a truly luxurious ride on a pre-air conditioning (a rare item in '57 even on a Cadillac) Summer's evening ....... had some advantages for the drive-in too!

Again, congratulations on a job well done.

DopeStar 156
06-13-08, 11:36 AM
Was it a police car? What're those lights on the sides? By the way, this is one of my all time favorites ever since I was 5 years old and saw one at a car show. At age 5 I claimed this would be my first car.

Submariner409
06-13-08, 12:19 PM
DopeStar, An option and sought-after mod was chrome hand-controlled windshield pillar spotlights. Regardless of whether you drove a fully reworked '49 Mercury or a '57 Chevy. Same for "cat's eyes", the blue adhesive dot lenses placed in the middle of a red taillight lens which turned the emitted light purple (illegal as hell). A pair of color-keyed fuzzy dice was also necessary, as was a real set of pure duals with glasspacks and pencil chrome tips. AM radio, tube sets, was standard, and the ignition system whirred and buzzed through the speakers because there was absolutely no EMI shielding anywhere. Spark plug wire was good ol' black Packard 440 stranded copper high tension wire. 5 cents a foot. 104 octane leaded gas was 21.9 cents a gallon. Some cars had automatic transmissions with clutches. (53 Chrysler Saratoga hemi. A road pig)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-13-08, 12:32 PM
Next weekend is the Back To The Fifties show at the MN State Fairgrounds. 10,000+ cars that are all older than 1964. I wonder how many 1958 Lincolns I'll see? They're by far my favorite 1950's car. I've also seen a 1958 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham (the one that was $13,000 back in 1958) that is owned by former St Paul Chief of Police Finney.

1990CaddyBrougham
06-13-08, 12:50 PM
submariner was right....

The car was never a police car. Though it was originally Black and white. I have added alot of the options on, the spot lights for instance. Those were GM accesories back in the day.

I added those, the sunvisor on the exterior, the bumper guards front and back, i have fender skirts for it, i went from the single fender antenna to dual rear antennas, the deck lid strip, the traffic light viewer, door handle scuff plates, tissue dispenser,Spinner hub caps, door edge guards, i just got my gold rear orginal license plate frame (not the one thats on it). There are more...

But it was optioned well already... alot of stuff one would think standard was options back in the day. Rev. lights, electric wipers, radio, clock, ect ect....

The blue dot tail lights were already on it, and i love them.

I would eventually like to add factory A/C, power steering, and power brakes, if not a disc brake conversion.

Thanks for all the replies guys.....

And yes, that same craftsmanship is planned for my Triple black 81 fleetwood coupe delegance!!

That will be a bad ass car!

caddycruiser
06-14-08, 12:48 AM
Ah, brings back memories of dad's red '57...in his days of building cars from nothing. STILL tells stories about that car and though I've only seen pictures, WOW, what a car.

I need to dig up pictures and post some soon. His distinguishing factors were a 350 swapped in from a full-size 80's Blazer (which, I think, might have had it swapped into it too), red velour buckets from some kind of 70's/80's Mopar something, chrome mags, AND it had no lower bumper portion below the main lower grille. I never got that look for a while, but I guess it was a sport/racing thing of some kind, and he went with it.

Love your black sedan:yup:

MauiV
06-16-08, 08:48 PM
I was at the NHRA Hot Rod Reunion this weekend and there was a ton of 55's and 57s and I didnt see 1 single 4 door 57. Still love your ride.

There was a beautiful chopped 57 Caddy that I will post pics of once I get around to downloading them off the camera.

jayoldschool
08-10-08, 10:17 PM
I had the pleasure of seeing this car in person a month ago in his garage (the engine was in pieces at the time).

The pics don't lie - it's awesome. The accessories are very cool. To see the two 57s side by side in the garage is quite the experience.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
08-11-08, 09:58 AM
Awesome job!

And I love that it has the original engine and transmission, especially as it hasn't had the hotrod look either.

Looks A1 !!