: Iowa floods of 2008 this sucks !

dwight.j.carter
06-10-08, 01:22 AM
well I live here in Iowa and as I am typing this there is a slow flowing river in my basement. Thankfully it is not finished so it is just running right to the drain. As long as the drain doesn't back up I won't be overly upset. I will say though this sucks having it rain all the time. For the most part though the storms have only moved through while I have been asleep or at night.
If anyone wants to check out what we are dealing with here in Iowa go here :

www.kcci.com

Playdrv4me
06-10-08, 01:33 AM
Indeed... The weather is fu**ed up ALL across the country right now! Record highs in the NE, floods in the midwest, TORNADOES in the great plains and midwest... If that weren't enough, Hurricane season is just gittin' started down my necka' the woods!

IT'S GLOBAL WARMING I TELL YOU... GLOBAL WARMING! :rolleyes:

ewill3rd
06-10-08, 07:17 AM
Yeah, I think this is the first time in recorded history that we have had tornadoes, floods, and hot weather!
:lol:

I feel your pain, it sucks... but what can you do?
Hopefully it won't get any worse for you.

Jesda
06-14-08, 05:23 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/img/2008/06/14/alg_iowa-street.jpg

Whats amazing is that when a disaster like this hits a state like Iowa, they aren't whining "OMG ITS BOOSH'Z FAULT OMG! GLOBAL WARMING DID TIHS! I WANT A FEMA TRAILER!"

Instead, THOUSANDS of Iowans volunteered to lay sand bags and save their communities. They didn't sit around with their thumbs up their behinds waiting for 'Big Gubmint Cheese' to come and save them, and when it was time to leave they voluntarily evacuated.

A worse disaster couldn't have happened to more decent, more hard working people.

dkozloski
06-14-08, 05:30 PM
It ain't all sweetness and light. I ran across a blog of homeowners in Cedar Falls, Ia. that are very unhappy. Apparently there was a lot more preparation in one side of town compared to the other. One remark was "that trashy part of town needed to be washed out anyway". Small town politics is the same everywhere.

Jesda
06-14-08, 08:49 PM
It ain't all sweetness and light. I ran across a blog of homeowners in Cedar Falls, Ia. that are very unhappy. Apparently there was a lot more preparation in one side of town compared to the other. One remark was "that trashy part of town needed to be washed out anyway". Small town politics is the same everywhere.

The hilarity is that all of New Orleans was the "trashy part"

Nothing like power washing a dirty city, eh?

dkozloski
06-15-08, 01:28 AM
A flood is a great equalizer. When you're out there up to your ass in cold water looking in the windows, the water in the livingroom is about doorknob high, and you can see your furniture floating around all you can do is look at your neighbor and laugh about it. Been there! Done that!

I'll bet there'll be some real bargains in used cars on Ebay in a month or so.

My neighbor had left the windows down on his truck when he abondoned it. While he was gone a power pole floated halfway through the cab and then the water went down leaving the pole there. It took him about twenty cuts with a chainsaw to get it cut short enough to get it back out without tearing the doors up or tipping the truck over.

Another neighbor carefully parked his new Mustang on the highest ground around and the front wheels up on blocks. All that was sticking up out of the water was the very front tip of the hood.

I had my boat moored to my front door handle.

Memories of the great flood of 1967.

Jesda
06-15-08, 03:03 AM
I remember when the Mississippi flooded in 1993. Some cemeteries got saturated, coffins got loose, and bodies started floating down toward Louisiana.

dkozloski
06-15-08, 04:26 AM
I remember when the Mississippi flooded in 1993. Some cemeteries got saturated, coffins got loose, and bodies started floating down toward Louisiana.
You ought to see a 5000 gallon gasoline storage tank float up out of the ground along with dozens of 500 gallon heating oil tanks. Don't try to keep the water out of your basement because it'll collapse and cave in.

ewill3rd
06-15-08, 10:20 AM
Before my wife and I got married we took a trip to St. Louis during the flood of '93.
I have some good pics from downtown with the water almost all the way up the steps to the arch and the riverboats attached to walkways coming up from underwater. It stunk down their too with people pumping all the sewage and flood water out of their basements down there.

Floods suck.

RightTurn
06-15-08, 12:31 PM
I hope the "Carter boyz" are safe. Report in, guys.

Submariner409
06-15-08, 01:12 PM
Not quite the same scenario as Iowa, but Hurricane Agnes' 1973 trip through Maryland and up the Chesapeake Bay changed the physiology of the Bay for 30 years. The sheer numbers of dead cattle, pigs, chickens, floating oil and propane tanks, overturned boats, piers, car parts, anything that floated, was impressive. Every gate on the Conowingo Dam on the Susquehanna was wide open and the discharge water was the color of blond and sweet coffee.

Major floods change lots of things for lots of people for a long time. As does any major natural catastrophe. Volcanos are no picnic, either.

dwight.j.carter
06-16-08, 02:59 PM
Oh we are still here. I live over by where the levee breached in Des Moines. Thankfully though I live on high ground. I have had to alter my routes the last few days but thankfully one of the streets did open back up. But by the levee breach it is all under water. Nick lives on a hill also so he is alright as well. I will say though I have seen enough water. I don't even remember seeing flooding like this in 93 of course I was only 13 then lol. I would get you guys some pics but the cops said if anyone goes by the levee they will be arrested. In fact one of our newspaper reporters got arrested on Saturday. I woke up Saturday to the levee breach and was astonished by what I saw on the news.

RightTurn
06-16-08, 03:01 PM
Glad you guys are safe. Park the Caddys on high ground!

ewill3rd
06-16-08, 05:51 PM
Something evil just tore through here, I think my power is out again at the house :(
I really don't want to get the generator out again today... although it will be easier to hook up this time.

Playdrv4me
06-16-08, 06:30 PM
My power problem is not at home, that's manageable... But my damn office building!

I support a three story Real estate fulfillment center and Floor 1 was just put on UPS power, however Floors 2 and 3 are on their own. I am on Floor 2 and a humongous group of people is on 3.

We are now coming into the rainy (read:monsoon) season here in Florida and we have more lightning strikes than *ANYWHERE* in the world. Everytime the *&#$*&&$! power goes out, it knocks out at least one monitor or PC either software or power supply. You'd think they would have been smart enough to UPS the entire building, but apparently not.

We have a Generator, but Generators are not uninterrupted power, and there is an annoying delay.

ewill3rd
06-17-08, 08:05 AM
Yeah, had to fire up the generator.
Power is still down this morning :(
Not sure when it will be back on... have to go fill the gas on it.

dwight.j.carter
06-17-08, 01:28 PM
Man that sucks. Yeah Nick and I got lucky that we didn't get flooded. Last night I took the hose into my basement and sprayed it out since it was already cleared out from the flooding.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-17-08, 02:12 PM
"How high's the water momma?"

"-Four feet high and rising"

dwight.j.carter
06-17-08, 02:21 PM
that is exactly the song I was thinking about last week as it was flooding.

dwight.j.carter
06-17-08, 02:42 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9fpbCLNyPUA&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9fpbCLNyPUA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

dkozloski
06-17-08, 03:05 PM
Too bad it isn't water that's the problem. It's pig poop, corrosive chemicals, and sewage. One of the indescribable joys of rural home ownership is having rising flood waters unload your septic system into your basement.

MauiV
06-17-08, 06:23 PM
When you levee big rivers these things tend to happen. Flood plains and river bottoms are fertile grounds FOR A REASON. Building a house in said flood plain is NEVER a good idea and in the battle of man vs Mother Nature, shes undefeated.

dwight.j.carter
06-17-08, 06:33 PM
I can agree with that I mean at some point you have to expect it considering you live behind a pile of dirt put there by man to channel the river.

MauiV
06-17-08, 06:43 PM
I lived in New Orleans from 1992-1998. It was never a question of IF it was gonna happen but mearly a matter of WHEN it was gonna happen. Houston is in the same situation, especially the southern half of the city. St Louis and Memphis are biding their time until the New Madrid goes off and levels both. Pick your poison I guess because I cant think of a place that isnt subject to some sort of enviro-catastrophe

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-17-08, 06:45 PM
I've always wanted to live right by a big dam, like this one.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9d/Barrage_Daniel-Johnson.jpg/800px-Barrage_Daniel-Johnson.jpg

dkozloski
06-17-08, 08:49 PM
There was even a molasses flood in Boston in 1919 that killed a bunch of people.