: 3G iPhone shipping on July 11 - starting at $199

gary88
06-09-08, 04:36 PM
http://www.apple.com/iphone/

$199 for 8GB (black), $299 for 16GB (white).

I'll give my current iPhone to my dad, and pick up an 8GB! Sweet jebus I can't believe how cheap it is now. 3G will be nice, but the built in GPS is the real kicker for me. The current installment of tower triangulation they have now is basically crap. I just hope they upped the battery life to accommodate for all this. Plus it has a flush headphone jack so you're not locked in to using only Apple earbuds anymore (though I like them for the built in mic).

I'll be on vacation when it comes out though, bah.

Playdrv4me
06-09-08, 05:20 PM
The price reduction was LONG overdue, but at this pricepoint it is even CHEAPER than I could have imagined AND 3G! If I ever come to the point of switching off Sprint with my Treo, this IS what I will get. The GPS doesn't hurt either!

Rolex
06-09-08, 09:34 PM
I'll be watching all the guinea pigs with this newest version to see if there are any bugs. I almost shat and fell back in it when I saw that price tag though! Holy cow. :cool2:

Eric Kahn
06-09-08, 10:44 PM
To bad you can not get it on a real phone company, might consider one when I can get it on verizon

ryannel2003
06-09-08, 11:01 PM
I agree with Rolex, I've had nothing but trouble with my iPod Touch and I expect the latest iPhone to have bugs as well. So I have a hard decision to make, get a iPhone or get a Seville?

Hmmm, thats a really hard decision. It might take me a while to decide... :rolleyes:

Brizzal
06-09-08, 11:38 PM
im buying one asap

gary88
06-10-08, 01:20 AM
I'll buy one the day I get back from vacation. In the year or so I've had my iPhone I haven't had a single problem.

Playdrv4me
06-10-08, 01:36 AM
To bad you can not get it on a real phone company, might consider one when I can get it on verizon

Yea I'm also partial to CDMA with my Treo 750 on Sprint... it is super fast and does everything I need, call loss is very rare... But the truth is CDMA is beginning to age and GSM or its variations will eventually become the standard.

dkozloski
06-10-08, 04:15 AM
The very best part of any of these wireless phone deals is that you can turn the SOB off and nobody can call you.

AMGoff
06-11-08, 11:30 PM
Apple has pretty much addressed the two main things that anti-iPhoners have been using as their main excuses for not getting one - 3G and "push" email, contacts, etc... through an Exchange Server.

And then there's the price... $199 is a phenomenal value, but I don't like how they're going about it as AT&T is going to be subsidizing the cost of the iPhone. That's all well and good... but it also means that the data plan for the iPhone 3G is going to be $30 a month... I could swallow the extra $15 a month for the occasional data I use, but I'm not quite sure about an extra $25 a month.

If anything... I'm more excited by the built-in GPS than I am about the 3G. 3G coverage is far from extensive and I'd probably still be using Edge in a lot of the places that I travel. The current use of cell tower triangulation is nice and it's good for figuring out your general area... but I like the idea of having turn by turn tracking.

However, the news I'm most interested is the availability of third-party apps... which I'll be able to take full advantage of on my current iPhone once the v2.0 software is released. Just from the Keynote alone, there's some really neat third-party apps on the way... especially some of the games that will take advantage of the iPhone's accelerometer and such.

Either way... with the 3G, the Exchange compatibility, the secure VPN, the third-party apps, and most importantly... the new price tag, Apple is going to sell a boatload of these things... and that's on top of the boatload they've already sold.

Lord Cadillac
06-11-08, 11:42 PM
I think the price is offset by the fact that you have to pay AT&T $10.00 more to use the phone. 3G. The fee is there whether you can use it or not. I'm not sure I'll be buying this new version.. Mine is doing all too well for me as it is... Maybe the NEXT one...

T_Dogg8
06-12-08, 04:56 PM
i love my iphone. have had no problems in the 8 months i've had it. i would go to the new one, but not sure $10 more a month is worth it. i don't have 3g in my area yet. people are really running out of things to complain about with it.

Playdrv4me
06-12-08, 08:36 PM
i love my iphone. have had no problems in the 8 months i've had it. i would go to the new one, but not sure $10 more a month is worth it. i don't have 3g in my area yet. people are really running out of things to complain about with it.

Holy sh!t on a shishkabob where have you been!? Welcome back to the lounge.

Spittin Game
06-14-08, 07:49 PM
Can this one be bought for that $199 at an apple store like the old one, where you then have to go "activate it with AT&T" after you leave?"

Playdrv4me
06-15-08, 02:09 AM
Can this one be bought for that $199 at an apple store like the old one, where you then have to go "activate it with AT&T" after you leave?"

I believe the activation process is the same.

ahahnu
06-16-08, 08:26 PM
I was in apple today and I think they are still at odds whether they will activate it in the store or not.

ahahnu
06-16-08, 08:28 PM
At&t charges $30 for unlimited data plan? I herd it is going to $40 for the new i phone. I've also herd some people getting banged over the head from at&t over usage and whatnot

Rolex
06-16-08, 09:54 PM
Holy sh!t on a shishkabob where have you been!? Welcome back to the lounge.

:yeah: It's good to see T_Dogg8 and Spittin Game lurking again. :cheers:

AMGoff
06-17-08, 12:50 AM
I was in apple today and I think they are still at odds whether they will activate it in the store or not.

You will only be allowed to purchase the iPhone and activate it at retail locations... at either Apple or AT&T's "brick and mortar" stores - not online.

At&t charges $30 for unlimited data plan? I herd it is going to $40 for the new i phone. I've also herd some people getting banged over the head from at&t over usage and whatnot

The iPhone's current (non-3G) data plan costs $20 a month... it's unlimited data and that's the only way it comes. The 3G data plan will cost $10 more - $30/month (for business plans it will cost $45/month)... it will also only be offered in one flavor - unlimited data.