: Gas as percentage of income.

Jesda
06-09-08, 03:49 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2008/06/09/business/20080609_GAS_GRAPHIC.html#tab1

Shawn4.0
06-09-08, 04:23 PM
Two things, wow, you can tell it's Monday, I clicked the median income tab, and then saw the southwestern border of Texas, I thought, "Wow, for a large coast area, the income there is really low compared to other coastal areas..." D'oh! :thepan:

Second, what the heck do people in California do? I mean for every movie star, producer, etc, there has to be 100 waiters. Yet income is still that high?? :confused:

Spyder
06-09-08, 08:40 PM
Waiting tables, I average about 16 bucks an hour AFTER paying taxes.
Working my federal government job, I get 13.59 an hour before taxes, insurance or retirement.

And that's way up north, where the recockulousness of the bay area isn't a factor.

Spyder
06-09-08, 08:42 PM
...and right now, for the cheap stuff, I'm paying about 4.37 a gallon.

eyekandyboats.inc
06-09-08, 09:22 PM
we in Canada are paying about 5.75 dollars a gallon

Night Wolf
06-10-08, 07:48 AM
NY as a whole is 3%?!?!?

Man, I am glad I left that state... it is really expensive to live there... between high taxes and inflated prices, not to mention the snowy winters and most homes using oil to heat in the winter..... I was just up there last weekend visiting some friends and am glad I am not living in the area.

In comparsion, Middle Georiga is super cost effective to live, housing, taxes, everything is cheap here. Yet, where I live is in the 7-10% range.

The problem with that map is, it is just factoring in a dollar income to a dollar amount of gas.... what about cost of living as a whole? Notice the lowest, which is Norther Joysee, it is 2%, I bet mose people there work in NYC.... know how much it cost to live there? Compare that to the highest in Alabamabamarama at 16%, it's cheap to live there.... I bet the gas prices between both places are within 40cents of each other, so does that mean that the person living in NJ is making 8 times as much as in AL? Maybe so, if you figure $35k/year to $280k/year, which for a NYC salary I guess is normal? But when it cost $2,000/month to rent a 2-BR apartment, then factor in the cost of all other things, that 8x gap closes more and more. Which is why I like central Georgia.... wages are decent, but cost of living is dirt cheap.... my friend in NY is making almost what I make here and he is saying he may get a roommate to share a 2br apartment with to help with the cost of living and that is in the Mid-Hudson valley area, not the city... meanwhile I can easily afford my 3br house by myself. Plus, I am within weekend driving distance to Florida's Gulf beaches.... which to me is awesome.

Ya know, when I am paying a total of $800/year for my city/county property tax on my house compared to around $6,000, if not higher for property/school tax on a similar house in upstate NY (we don't have school tax here) that really gets factored in. My mom's small 960sq ft house would go thru 2 250gallon tankfuls of oil per winter, now with heating oil at $3.50/gallon what I last heard, and rising, that means it'll cost about $1,800 just to heat that small house thru the winter?!? My electric bill thru the winter (head pump) ranged from $60-$100/month, which is the same for cooling in the Summer, in fact last month when I used no A/C or heat in the house and just left the windows open the electric bill was $33 for the month.

Personally with gas prices going up, people really need to look at their spending as a whole, not just what they shell out for gas.... people live way out of their means. Truth is if people lived within their means, and kept out of debt, it really wouldn't matter how much gas prices go up... but everything is payments payments payments, whats the lowest monthly payment ya got? Ah I'll stop now before I keep going on this subject.....

ewill3rd
06-10-08, 09:32 AM
My wife and I have a decent combined income, but we don't commute far so our gas expense is pretty low. Cost of living is really, really high inside the beltway... at least in my neighborhood anyway.
We are holding up better than a lot of folks around here because of our short commute and superior combined brain power :D
My wife is good at saving money, I am efficient at spending it.

dkozloski
06-10-08, 01:38 PM
The median income in rural Alaska is less than $17,000/yr. combined with 60% unemployment. Current polls indicate as much as 20% of the population is going to leave the state within the next year because they won't be able to pay their winter energy costs. In the communities that have no connection to the road system and fuel has to be barged or flown in, gas and diesel are in the $8-9/gallon range and rising. The largest distributor of heating oil in the interior of Alaska is looking at bankruptcy because of the millions of dollars in accounts recievable they have from last winter and and costs are expected to double for the coming heating season. I going to have to do some serious realignment of my finances to survive if I expect to remain here. Ironically, Anchorage, Alaska has the lowest natural gas prices in the nation but their supplies from Cook Inlet are dwindling and several petrochemical operations have had to shut down. It will take a minimum of five years and three billion dollars to construct a gas line from the North Slope to Anchorage with a branch to here in Fairbanks. The future looks very bleak.

Night Wolf
06-10-08, 02:20 PM
Didn't the US purchase Alaska for it's oil?

dkozloski
06-10-08, 02:55 PM
Didn't the US purchase Alaska for it's oil?
Nobody knew what oil was in 1867. Alaska was sold to the U.S. by the Russian Czar because he needed cash to pay for a war. The only known resource in Alaska at the time was fur seals. The documents on file in Moscow say that the transaction was a 99 year lease. The documents in D.C. say sale. Russians who were here for a celebration of WWII lend-lease and the AlCan highway say that the school kids in Russia were taught that they were going to get Alaska back in 1967.

EcSTSatic
06-10-08, 03:03 PM
Google on "Seward's Folly" and draw your own conclusions. Hint: it wasn't about oil.