: Need help buying economy car

Destroyer
06-07-08, 11:33 PM
I dont know what the hell to buy. Been looking for a car for the wife. Not in my element when shopping for an economic car but with gas prices being what they are supposedly getting worse (up to $15/gallon from what I've been hearing), its time to get into smaller cars. I went from my Chevy conversion van to an S10 p/u and I'm saving about $80/week by doing that (I drive a lot). My Cobra stays (use it only 2 times a week) but my wifes beloved Mark VIII has to go (she loves that car). Ok, I'm buying something cash NOT to exceed $10k. I buying private owner as I refuse to buy from a dealer. I'm looking at:

'03-05 Toyota Matrix XR
'03-'05 Mazda 3
'02-'05 Suzuki Aerio SX hatch

Basically she (the wife) likes the hatchback cars like the ones mentioned. Since I never was into this kind of car before, can anyone give some more suggestions?. Looking for something quick like the cars I mentioned, must have enough room for 4 and average 27mpg between city/highway. I have decided the car HAS to be foreign and NOT American cause IMO Americans cannot build a good running 4 banger. Thanks.

gary88
06-08-08, 12:20 AM
I'd go for the Mazda 3, or preferably a Mazda 6 if you can find a deal. I've heard nothing but good things for both.

...and $15 a gallon?? Jeez I hope not.

Destroyer
06-08-08, 12:31 AM
I'd go for the Mazda 3, or preferably a Mazda 6 if you can find a deal. I've heard nothing but good things for both.

...and $15 a gallon?? Jeez I hope not.
I'm hearing that it might get that high but closer to $8/gallon in the near future. I have NEVER even taken mpg into consideration when buying a car until now. When gas was $2/gallon or below, I was cool with it but now at $4 and climbing rapidly its like, is it worth it to drive a big V8 car when it costs up to $80 a week more?. $80 x 4 (month) = $320/month. To some that is a car payment in itself for a new car and I'm paying that extra amount to drive a 10 year old w/out a warranty for that. GM is even considering dropping the Hummer brand altogether cause they just ain't moving anymore. This sucks and I never thought I'd see the day that I'd be looking more into mpg than what I actually like.

Red_October_7000
06-08-08, 01:41 AM
I've driven the first two and heard enough about the third. They ALL suck. Stay away from 'em. VW consistently tops the penalty box tests and I know more people who are happy with VWs than any other small car. Rabbit FTW.

Jesda
06-08-08, 02:20 AM
VWs blow.

Playdrv4me
06-08-08, 03:08 AM
Destroyer let me know what you guys decide to do with the Mark VIII, I remember you got that car for a song and I'd like to know if it goes up for sale.

No VWs by the way, bad idea. I say Mazda 3 as well. It is like the 3 Series of econoboxes from everything I have ever read.

I have to say, you are really going to the extremes here which is incredible for someone who never thought about fuel economy in the past. It is one thing for everyone to be dumping SUVs and trucks, but now people are getting rid of V8 cars that in my opinion have GOOD economy (the Mark VIII I'm pretty sure gets near 20 at least in the city correct me if im wrong). Scary stuff.

c5 rv
06-08-08, 04:21 AM
My son recently chose between a Mazda3 and Mazda6. He felt the clutch position on the Mazda6 was more comfortable and liked the looks of the Mazda6 sedan. His 6 with a manual trans and 2.3 engine is averaging over 30 MPG. Also, his Mazda6 was made in Flat Rock, MI. I may consider a Mazda3 5-door in the future.

If you're considering the Toyota Matrix, you can also look at the Pontiac Vibe (same basic car) and save some $$ over the Toyota. I test drove a Vibe and didn't care for the the tinny sound and the awkward driving position. However, I know a couple Vibe owners that love their cars.

BTW if you want a reliable car, avoid VW. I'd also avoid Suzuki. You may want to consider Subaru, though, especially if AWD would be useful.

Destroyer
06-08-08, 08:47 AM
I have to say, you are really going to the extremes here which is incredible for someone who never thought about fuel economy in the past. It is one thing for everyone to be dumping SUVs and trucks, but now people are getting rid of V8 cars that in my opinion have GOOD economy (the Mark VIII I'm pretty sure gets near 20 at least in the city correct me if im wrong). Scary stuff.The Mark averages 15.7 mpg. Goes about 220 miles on a 14 gallon fillup. Does much better on the highway but it isn't so good around town. I figure with a car that averages 27mpg we'd be saving $40 a week in gas, a figure that will increase as gas prices rise. The Mark also requires premium fuel. Car only goes from my house to the wifes job and back daily, I barely even drive it.

ryannel2003
06-08-08, 10:22 AM
I've driven the Pontiac Vibe (Matrix twin) and they aren't great cars. Buzzy engine and the seating position is extremely uncomfortable. Never dealt with Suzuki's before, but from what I heard they start falling apart at 100k miles.

I'm gonna say to go for the Mazda3. A couple of my friends have the sedan and they love them. It's the nicest economy car in the class, and has excellent handling from what i've heard.

VW is bad idea. A friend of mine has had nothing but trouble with her Passat, and another friends Jetta has been a sh*t hole.

Destroyer
06-08-08, 12:42 PM
My son recently chose between a Mazda3 and Mazda6. He felt the clutch position on the Mazda6 was more comfortable and liked the looks of the Mazda6 sedan. His 6 with a manual trans and 2.3 engine is averaging over 30 MPG. Also, his Mazda6 was made in Flat Rock, MI. I may consider a Mazda3 5-door in the future.

If you're considering the Toyota Matrix, you can also look at the Pontiac Vibe (same basic car) and save some $$ over the Toyota. I test drove a Vibe and didn't care for the the tinny sound and the awkward driving position. However, I know a couple Vibe owners that love their cars.

BTW if you want a reliable car, avoid VW. I'd also avoid Suzuki. You may want to consider Subaru, though, especially if AWD would be useful.I'm leaning towards the Mazda 3 hatchback.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-08-08, 01:25 PM
Let's see, out of your suggestions we've got: ugly, cool and ugly. I'd go with the cool one. Go Mazda. A Rabbit would be fun, but only under the factory warranty...

Playdrv4me
06-08-08, 03:33 PM
You could always go to the extreme and get a Honda Fit Sport. One of the few small cars I actually like.

I figure if you're going to go you might as well go... small.

Red_October_7000
06-08-08, 05:07 PM
WTF is it with Mazda? I've driven them and the Fords that are all based on them, and even the Fords, with all their upmarket accessories and bolt-ons, are simply terrible. Also important to consider is that the Mazdas (well, anything in that segment, really, but the Mazdas are pretty bad) will fold up like a cheap suit in an accident. I'd just stay away from all those cars mentioned. Suzuki has the build quality of something made in China by Glourious People's Manufactuarary Of Cnosumer Goods Products LTD., The Mazda is extremely unpleasant inside and actually doens't get that good mileage (my buddy gets good mileage out of his because it has a high-efficiency air cleaner and a very open exhaust that sounds like a V-1 "Doodlebug".) The Toyota, of course, has the $4,000 premium for the name "Toyota" being printed on it, and it too isn't as good on gas as a car bought for that reason alone should be, and it's rather unimpressive as well.

Destroyer
06-08-08, 06:12 PM
WTF is it with Mazda? I've driven them and the Fords that are all based on them, and even the Fords, with all their upmarket accessories and bolt-ons, are simply terrible. Also important to consider is that the Mazdas (well, anything in that segment, really, but the Mazdas are pretty bad) will fold up like a cheap suit in an accident. I'd just stay away from all those cars mentioned. Suzuki has the build quality of something made in China by Glourious People's Manufactuarary Of Cnosumer Goods Products LTD., The Mazda is extremely unpleasant inside and actually doens't get that good mileage (my buddy gets good mileage out of his because it has a high-efficiency air cleaner and a very open exhaust that sounds like a V-1 "Doodlebug".) The Toyota, of course, has the $4,000 premium for the name "Toyota" being printed on it, and it too isn't as good on gas as a car bought for that reason alone should be, and it's rather unimpressive as well.
My criteria is simple. Has to be fairly quick (150hp +), average at least 27mpg both city and highway, has to be reliable and capable of seating 4 passengers. Ride quality isn't that important but I've driven a Mazda Speed3 and I thought it rode fine. I was under the impression the Mazda 3 was one of the safest in its class as well. Build quality is another area I'm willing to be a bit forgiving on as long as it meets my other criteria. Ride quality and cheapish materials are acceptable IMO in certain types of cars, especially in this class but unacceptable in a car like a Caddy or other luxury cars. Oh yeah, we are also looking into Scions, any model.

Destroyer
06-08-08, 06:14 PM
Destroyer let me know what you guys decide to do with the Mark VIII, I remember you got that car for a song and I'd like to know if it goes up for sale.

I dont know what I'll do with it. I'll decide after I buy her another car. We will probably sell it but if I cant my money back on it I'll probably store it in my warehouse for awhile.

MauiV
06-08-08, 06:54 PM
VW R32 or Mazdaspeed 3!!!

Oh wait, nevermind.

ewill3rd
06-08-08, 08:28 PM
Too bad Smart doesn't make a 4 seater yet, you could get one of those... we sell 'em ;)

I would stick with GM personally... that may just be me. Malibus look pretty good these days.
Not sure if you are worried about the pricetag. The 2.4 has good mileage, not sure about horsepower and you should be able to fit 4 folks in there without much trouble.
Maybe a G6 would be to your liking? I don't much like the trim on Pontiacs these days but what I think may not necessarily be what everyone else thinks.
Maybe you could help the American economy instead of shipping your money overseas? :D

Heck even a Lucerne gets decent mileage and it has some guts and even a little style if I dare say so.
:D

Playdrv4me
06-08-08, 10:33 PM
I dont know what I'll do with it. I'll decide after I buy her another car. We will probably sell it but if I cant my money back on it I'll probably store it in my warehouse for awhile.

Well let me know... I think so long as it hasn't racked up a ton of miles since you got it (if I recall it had 15k-ish back then) and its still in the same nice condition I remember, then it's definitely worth what I vaguely remember you paid for it. The thing I liked about it the most was the headlights weren't all hazy like every other Mark you see in Florida. Don't remember if it had the cassette deck or not, which is useful for me with an iPod, but thats an easy enough audio system to swap out. Of course I have no idea what else you did to it since then. I remember something about a coil conversion but I'm pretty sure that was your other Mark, not this one.

Destroyer
06-09-08, 12:47 AM
Well let me know... I think so long as it hasn't racked up a ton of miles since you got it (if I recall it had 15k-ish back then) and its still in the same nice condition I remember, then it's definitely worth what I vaguely remember you paid for it. The thing I liked about it the most was the headlights weren't all hazy like every other Mark you see in Florida. Don't remember if it had the cassette deck or not, which is useful for me with an iPod, but thats an easy enough audio system to swap out. Of course I have no idea what else you did to it since then. I remember something about a coil conversion but I'm pretty sure that was your other Mark, not this one.
This one still has the air suspension and its working fine. Did the coils on my '95 which is gone now. Everyone makes such a big deal about the air suspension and how much $$$ it costs, the coils are an easy and cheap fix ($380). Its got 27k miles on it now, had 16k last April when I bought it. I took off the stock side moldings and put LSC moldings on and I painted the front grill body color like an LSC. I also added 18" Chrome Bullet wheels w/new tires and installed new cross drilled rotors and ceramic pads. I removed the factory HID bulbs and installed aftermaket bulbs/ballasts when I first got it and it works great, if these bulbs go out they are cheap to replace unlike the factory units and are brighter. Otherwise its just as I got it. I paid $5k for it plus $1100 for wheels/tires (still have stock ones with original tires) and $130 for the HID bulbs/ballasts, $100 for window tinting and $325 for the brakes. Plugs and boots and idle control valve are new too. I'd probably let it go for $6k. Here's a few pics I took for advertising it when and if I sell it, pics are like 2 weeks old:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/Mark%20VIII/DSC04831.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/Mark%20VIII/DSC04833.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/Mark%20VIII/DSC04832.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/Mark%20VIII/DSC04835.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/Mark%20VIII/DSC04837.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/Mark%20VIII/DSC04838.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/Mark%20VIII/DSC04843.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/Mark%20VIII/DSC04846.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/Mark%20VIII/DSC04847.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/Mark%20VIII/DSC04848.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/Mark%20VIII/DSC04850.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/Mark%20VIII/DSC04852.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z251/AstrocreepVIII/Mark%20VIII/DSC04853.jpg

STScadillac
06-09-08, 12:51 AM
wow that is a nice nice car...

Playdrv4me
06-09-08, 12:57 AM
Man, What a beauty. Shoot me a PM when/if you decide to sell please. I will beg borrow or steal to try to round up the cash to get it. Me and Jes are both looking for a cash car in case we decide to downsize our fleet and I can't think of anything more enjoyable than that even if the fuel economy is not as high as I thought it was.

Destroyer
06-09-08, 03:26 PM
Man, What a beauty. Shoot me a PM when/if you decide to sell please. I will beg borrow or steal to try to round up the cash to get it. Me and Jes are both looking for a cash car in case we decide to downsize our fleet and I can't think of anything more enjoyable than that even if the fuel economy is not as high as I thought it was.Will do. I'm looking for something for a good price and low mileage. I dont really rush to get cars, I wait to get a good deal. As soon as one comes up I'll be sending you a PM. You're in Tampa right?.

Playdrv4me
06-09-08, 04:18 PM
Will do. I'm looking for something for a good price and low mileage. I dont really rush to get cars, I wait to get a good deal. As soon as one comes up I'll be sending you a PM. You're in Tampa right?.

Yes sir. Take your time, I am figuring out what I am going to do as well so no rush at all. Just want to know when it does happen.

blue07cts
06-09-08, 11:16 PM
well as far as an economy car we have an 06 scion Xb, and HATE it! granted it is GREAT on gas,, BUT, no armrest,no cruise control no sound deadening ( i know it was cherap but COME ON) and worse of all it feels unsafe, like the doors feel paper thing and there's NO room for impact if you get rear ended, the ppl next door 2 us bought a pretty new saturn ion used for 10k and they love it for what it is, and i will say it is nicer than the Xb..

Night Wolf
06-10-08, 06:15 AM
well as far as an economy car we have an 06 scion Xb, and HATE it! granted it is GREAT on gas,, BUT, no armrest,no cruise control no sound deadening ( i know it was cherap but COME ON) and worse of all it feels unsafe, like the doors feel paper thing and there's NO room for impact if you get rear ended, the ppl next door 2 us bought a pretty new saturn ion used for 10k and they love it for what it is, and i will say it is nicer than the Xb..

Sure you are not describing a base model 1994 Isuzu Amigo?

No cruise on a 2006 car tho? Man....

As for econo cars.... what about a Miata? I know you had one already, except that one was missing a pedal and had a weird button on the shifter.

I was thinking about one next, I hear they get 31-34mpg highway, can't beat that. For my next car I really would like a sporty "drivers" car, must be a manual trans, and it's time I get a convertible. While the Sky fits the bill perfect, price is way too high, so that left it down to BMW E30 or 1st gen Miata.

I'd still like to drive both, but I'm pretty sure I've settled on the E30, 325, 5spd, convertible, '91-'93 with the facelift would be great, but open to one with the diving boards.

I agree though, to drive a V8 car now seems like an overkill, back in the day when you needed a V8 to merge and stuff it was different, but most any 4cyl today can merge and pass safely. After driving the Isuzu alot, it now seems like a waste to drive the V8 Town Car for just me.... but truth is, they both get about the same gas mileage, and on the highway the Town Car actually gets better. Probably due to the lift and 32" A/T tires on the Zu. Although when I get back in the Town Car after not driving it for a week, I am reminded why I can't bring myself to sell it.

the Zu gets about 20mpg around town/mixed driving to work, on the highway it'll get 23-24mpg, probably also because it dosen't have cruise. The speedo is off though because of the larger tires, so gas mileage is actually better. It used to run on regular but now pings on anything but premium since I put the engine back together (even tho it has a knock sensor) May be a bad O2 sensor (CEL for it) or because #4 piston is chipped, I dunno.

Lincoln will get about 18/19mpg with the same town/mixed driving and depending on speed/AC use, it'll get 24-27mpg highway. I've got the 3.27 axle which makes it quicker but takes a slight hit on mpg. Uses regular gas...it's funny because I get the "gas guzzler" comments now with gas prices, yet the mileage, IMO isn't all to bad.... and when you factor in the cheap parts, ease of working on it, super reliability and cheap insurance.... a Town Car is a *very* affordable car to own, especially at it's class and features.

Interesting tho, the Zu is very peppy under 60, I'm used to driving it again, and durring normal driving when shifting and accelerating, 1/2 or 2/3 throttle is a normal thing, but then I get in the Town Car, it takes a very light amount of throttle to accelerate and maintain speed, lot of power reserve, thats what I feel evens out the mileage, the 4cyl is working a whole lot harder to do the same thing as the V8.

Really though, if your old car is paid off, then it dosen't make sense to go in debt on a new(er) car just to save on gas mileage, tho I see it happen often now. If buying outright then it's not as bad.... still tho, I guess it depends on how much driving you do.... cutting $40 off your gas bill is a whole lot different if you only fill up once a month or everyweek.

As for American 4cyl...... the GM Ecotec is a really nice engine, that caught my eye when it first came out in the Grand Am....

In fact, I just heard Chevy has 0% financing for 60 months on all 2008 Cobalts..... now that is pretty good, get a new car on GM's dime, even tho you take the hit of depreciation on a new car, still a good deal if you are in the market.... I dunno if size/hatchback was an issue, but I'd look into a Cobalt...

ewill3rd
06-10-08, 06:21 AM
I would agree that buying a car to save money on gas may not leave you in "the black". The final choice should be based on actually saving you money.
Cobalt comes in a 4 door but it is a smaller car than the Malibu. Do you want to fit these 4 people into the car like you were trying to set a "people in a phone booth" record, or do you want them to be able to breathe?
:lol:

Night Wolf
06-10-08, 06:21 AM
Actually you can get the 0% for 60 months on HHR and Malibu too as well as Cobalt.... I gotta be honest, the HHR is pretty darn cool to me. All can be had with the Eco.

Destroyer
06-10-08, 07:40 AM
well as far as an economy car we have an 06 scion Xb, and HATE it! granted it is GREAT on gas,, BUT, no armrest,no cruise control no sound deadening ( i know it was cherap but COME ON) and worse of all it feels unsafe, like the doors feel paper thing and there's NO room for impact if you get rear ended, the ppl next door 2 us bought a pretty new saturn ion used for 10k and they love it for what it is, and i will say it is nicer than the Xb..I've got my eyes on an XA but the XB is on my list. I dont like Saturn so that never made this list. Thanks for the heads up on the XB. The newer ones look MUCH nicer but I dont want to pay that much.

caddycruiser
06-10-08, 09:47 PM
Actually you can get the 0% for 60 months on HHR and Malibu too as well as Cobalt.... I gotta be honest, the HHR is pretty darn cool to me. All can be had with the Eco.

I've had similar HHR thoughts myself lately too, well, at least as one of many possibilities.

Destroyer
06-10-08, 09:56 PM
I've had similar HHR thoughts myself lately too, well, at least as one of many possibilities.I looked at the HHR because the outside styling is.......pretty cool. The sheer cheapness of the interior was a huge turn off and I would not buy one new. Looking at an '06 Suzuki Aerio SX Wagon in the morning. I know it seems gay but its got 150hp, a 5 speed and gets 33mpg on the highway. I know its ugly as sin but its got a 10year/100k warranty on the drivetrain and should move out well.;)

96Fleetwood
06-10-08, 10:45 PM
Car only goes from my house to the wifes job and back daily

How far is that drive for your wife? Is it worth to go from a luxury car to a economy car to save $40.00? I can see why you downsized because you seem to drive more than the average person.

To some people that is their week's worth of Starbucks coffee, which isn't great for their health but it is worth it for some odd reason. Cut that out and they can drive a gas guzzler!

Out of the lot of eco vehicles you mentioned, go with the Toyota Matrix or get a Pontiac Vibe. The Vibe is the same exact car, but a couple thousand cheaper because the Pontiac brand name.

Jesda
06-11-08, 07:57 AM
The Astra is a fun car that feels like a little BMW. At least take one for a spin.

jey
06-11-08, 11:51 AM
I was in the market for a car like that once. I've driven all 3 cars - here is what I observed:

Matrix XR/Pontiac Vibe: If you like faster cars you want to get the 5-speed. 1.8 litres and 130 hp on a slushbox is no fun. Unfortunately, all the 5-speeds are BASE models - no ABS, features, etc. Blah - it went off my list.

Suzuki Aerio SX: Same story! That car is absolutely no fun with a slushbox, and the only 5-speeds around were base models with no features.

You're more likely to find a Mazda 3 with a standard transmission that is not a stripped down model, and with 160hp it's pretty fast compared to the other two.

96Fleetwood
06-11-08, 03:34 PM
From fueleconomy.gov, gas mileage and annual fuel cost for 15K/year:

Toyota Matrix: 26/33, $1,754

Suzuki Aerio: 21/26, $2,120

Mazda 3: 23/31, $1,958

Lincoln MKVIII: 16/24, $2,880

***IF** gas prices stay where they are and you get the Matrix for around $10K. You will have to drive it around 4 years to make the gas savings make up for the Lincoln. Or you can just keep the Lincoln and use that extra $4K now instead of waiting for a return 4 years from now.

Destroyer
06-11-08, 04:39 PM
From fueleconomy.gov, gas mileage and annual fuel cost for 15K/year:

Toyota Matrix: 26/33, $1,754

Suzuki Aerio: 21/26, $2,120

Mazda 3: 23/31, $1,958

Lincoln MKVIII: 16/24, $2,880

***IF** gas prices stay where they are and you get the Matrix for around $10K. You will have to drive it around 4 years to make the gas savings make up for the Lincoln. Or you can just keep the Lincoln and use that extra $4K now instead of waiting for a return 4 years from now.Hmm, the window sticker on an Aerio says 25/31. I'm figuring an Aerio would save me $40/week= $160/month or $1920 a year plus its gonna have the remainder of a 10 year/100k mile warranty. Found a nice '06 Aerio SX for $6k obo. Guy paid it off and is awaiting the title. It's got 60k miles which I think is a lot for an '06 and its not as clean as I like (some scratches and had a fender replaced) but if I can get him down $1k I think I'll grab it.

96Fleetwood
06-11-08, 04:52 PM
Hmm, the window sticker on an Aerio says 25/31. I'm figuring an Aerio would save me $40/week= $160/month or $1920 a year plus its gonna have the remainder of a 10 year/100k mile warranty. Found a nice '06 Aerio SX for $6k obo. Guy paid it off and is awaiting the title. It's got 60k miles which I think is a lot for an '06 and its not as clean as I like (some scratches and had a fender replaced) but if I can get him down $1k I think I'll grab it.

Nice! For $5K you can't go wrong with that.

AlBundy
06-11-08, 05:03 PM
You'll still miss the Mark.:canttalk::hide:

Destroyer
06-11-08, 05:14 PM
You'll still miss the Mark.:canttalk::hide:I know my wife will miss it, I dont drive it much anyway. I told her she didn't have to do it. She thinks its wasteful to spend that much gas for something she doesn't need and I agree with that. Seems as though its cool to "go green" at her job anyway. The money she saves us on gas will pay the insurance for all 3 cars.

AirJigga25
06-11-08, 09:20 PM
The money she saves us on gas will pay the insurance for all 3 cars.

why has no one mentioned a Toyota Camry or a Honda Accord. You can get a nice 2000-2004 Honda Accord 4 banger that will average over 30. They are great "whips."

I have a 2003 Honda Accord v6 EX coupe with 120k on it and never had a problem and it averages 27. It's very powerful too. It doesn't fit 4 comfortably but it fits four. Downgrade to a little older 4 cyl and add 2 doors and you should be able to avg. 30.

both camry's and accords are legendary and don't have problems for the most part... they just aren't appreciated on this site.

It's too bad with these gas prices... changing a lot of people's ways of life...

Destroyer
06-11-08, 09:35 PM
why has no one mentioned a Toyota Camry or a Honda Accord. You can get a nice 2000-2004 Honda Accord 4 banger that will average over 30. They are great "whips."

I have a 2003 Honda Accord v6 EX coupe with 120k on it and never had a problem and it averages 27. It's very powerful too. It doesn't fit 4 comfortably but it fits four. Downgrade to a little older 4 cyl and add 2 doors and you should be able to avg. 30.

both camry's and accords are legendary and don't have problems for the most part... they just aren't appreciated on this site.

It's too bad with these gas prices... changing a lot of people's ways of life...
We have owned a total of 3 Camry's. A '94 V6 and in 2000 I bought 2 brand new ones for both of us (1 auto and 1 5spd). The '94 was a great car, both the 00's were not very impressive. As a matter of fact both developed an "oil sludge" problem at around 38k miles. The motors in both practicall had to be redone (under warranty). Had a '98 Accord V6 coupe also. Better than the Camry's but still not great.

caddycruiser
06-11-08, 10:01 PM
The Astra is a fun car that feels like a little BMW. At least take one for a spin.

That one is high on my radar currently. They're stagnant on lots everywhere, with basically no advertising or even any specials, but still a great car. Has that Euro refinement/solidity/dynamics basically so few or no small cars can match.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-11-08, 10:06 PM
I like the Astra, a lot, for the reasons mentioned. Otherwise, I'd take AirJigga's advice and take a gander at a four cylinder Accord/Aura/Malibu.

hueterm
06-12-08, 05:25 AM
Seems as though its cool to "go green" at her job anyway.

:banghead:

If you want to save the money for yourself, that is nobody's business but your own, and more power to you.

But the Go Green Kool Aid Cult pressure at your wife's work is :bs:

ewill3rd
06-12-08, 07:06 AM
Right now a lot of import carmakers are hoping and praying that you'll "go green" to buy one of their ____boxes to "save the environment" and they are hoping you won't look at the actual cost of what you are doing and realize if you keep your situation just like it is you'll be saving money.

Spending $20,000-$40,000 to save $20 a week is, well... goofy.

Look at the joke that is Prius, and all that car does is turn airborne pollution into chemical pollution with the batteries. It has to be a lot more economical before I jump on the bandwagon. Ask a few Prius owners how much the bill is when the battery goes bad out of warranty.
Hybrids are a necessary step in the evolution of the automobile to a real solution, but they are definitely not the answer to the problem.

Playdrv4me
06-12-08, 10:13 AM
Yea but in his case if he ends up selling the Mark VIII, he's essentially at a net zero or even *plus* money if he gets a deal on the Suzuki he's looking at. The case against buying a smaller for gas' sake usually involves someone trading in an SUV and losing 10,000.00 between the trade and the price of the car theyre buying. In this case it's an all around economic win.

Destroyer
06-12-08, 01:13 PM
:banghead:

But the Go Green Kool Aid Cult pressure at your wife's work is :bs:No argument here:highfive: