: Performing "block" test from Napa

VinnyT
06-07-08, 07:48 AM
I am guessing that the large syringe fits over the purge tank hole, correct? My problem is that there is no coolant left after our drive home. (See 98 STS overheating thread from me) Can I add some water or coolant to perform this test? Will there be enough exhaust gases in the rest of the system to mix and give a good enough reading?

Thanks
V

Ranger
06-07-08, 10:57 AM
Yes, but it will take a little time for them to mix. Have you called the dealer? Why are you wasting time on this?

jeffrsmith
06-07-08, 11:55 AM
If your read the instructions on that test kit you will find that the engine has to be up to operating temperature also. Add some water warm the engine up, and test it. If you do have a head gasket issue you will know within a few squeezes of the bulb (the blue liquid will turn green then yellow). My engine was not at normal temps and it changed to yellow within 3 squeezes. The fact that the coolant was just changed has no bearing on the results of the test - it is pulling gases out of the overflow tank, not reading anything in the coolant itself.

VinnyT
06-07-08, 02:11 PM
Thanks guys. It confirmed that it is the head gaskets.

Ranger, we have talked to the dealer yesterday. My father has left another message this morning for him to call. We are not comfortable driving it 135 miles back to the dealership. Anything could happen on the way. We will see what the dealer will do and go from there.

Thanks

jeffrsmith
06-07-08, 06:50 PM
Sorry to hear that, hopefully the dealer will fix the problem. What did your dad pay for the car, hopefully not too much? Was it purchased from a franchised dealer or was it a good ol'boy dealership? Not that it really matters, just would hope that a "real" dealership wouldn't have screwed you like that. There are a lot of sharks (unscrupulous business people) out there that one has to be careful off.