: Introducing myself :)

Suzanne
06-07-08, 04:41 AM
Hi all,

My name is Suzanne and I don't own a Cadillac; however, my mother's friend does and we have a couple of questions we hoped some of you might be able to help us with.

My mom's friend has a 1985 Biarritz Brougham in EXCELLENT cosmetic condition (a couple of minor blemishes). It is White with red trim and interior. It has the stainless steel top with sunroof. It is fully loaded-power windows & locks, just about everything you can imagine. She would like to get an approximate value on itto see if it is worth fixing. The seats, carpets, etc. are in great shape. The dash is uncracked--although there is a tiny tear on one armrest. The only problem is that the car needs a new engine. Otherwise, it was a daily driver up until a couple of days ago. It has fairly new tires and I can post some pictures if that would help.

She keeps telling all of us that this is a rare car--Is it really?

Thank you for any help you can give us. This is a neat site if you are into Cadillacs.

Submariner409
06-07-08, 05:13 AM
Well, Good Morning !!! There may be some info up in the older Cadillac model discussions.

For a rough value start go to www.kbb.com (http://www.kbb.com) . Drill down to the used car retail, private, and trade values. Be honest with your information entries and you'll have a beginning. KBB is not everything, however. There are other sites and collectors to find.

With a bad engine, you're looking for someone who fills a special niche in the collector/restoration business. As is, the car is worth very little.

chubbyranger
06-07-08, 06:36 AM
:welcome:

I checked kbb, edmunds and nadaguides and none of them has listings for cars over 20 years old. There may be a very small group interested in a 1985 Cadillac but as Sub points out, its a niche market. I'm assuming its an Eldorado Biarritz with the HT 4100 engine which is an additional liability due to its legendary lack of either power or reliability.

Destroyer
06-07-08, 07:24 AM
I'm not clear on which car it is but since its got the stainless I'll assume its an Eldorado. Nice looking car but from a money point of view, probably not worth an engine rebuild. If she loves the car and wants to put money into fixing it and driving it, thats another story. If its in the condition you say, its rare just to see one that clean. I'd imagine its a fairly rare color combo but rare doesn't always make it worth more. Sadly that is the case with most used Cadillacs but especially ones with 4.1's.

Cadillacboy
06-07-08, 08:10 AM
Welcome to the forums :yup:

Suzanne
06-07-08, 11:22 AM
Thank you all for your replies! I will talk to her and let her know what you said and see what she decides to do.

If anyone else wants to weigh in, please feel free.:)

AlBundy
06-07-08, 01:57 PM
:welcome5::welcomeJimmyH::welcome5:

Patrick7997
06-07-08, 03:35 PM
That is an epic body style....

If the car is as nice as you say, and you found the right person, who really wanted it, it might be worth something....

Sadly, however, despite my personal opinion that those cars would be future collector's items, it has not happened, and probably never will...

The HT 4100 is a serious liability. Not the proudest moment in Cadillac history, sadly, because that body style is one of the greatest ever.

So, if you love it (or she does), restore it, drive it, enjoy it. But don't do it because it's a "rare car" or a "collector's item".

Rebuilt HT 4100's are out there, from reputable rebuilders, with warranties... if you are so inclined... but the cost would greatly exceed the value of the car...

I am curious... who said it needs a new engine?? Why did they say that?? What's the problem?? A second opinion might be in order, from another source, just to confirm... unless the circumstances are such that it is obvious. Some of these shops, not all, but there are a few, will say anything to a woman on the other side of the counter.... I just get a bad feeling when a woman is told "needs a new engine...", "needs a new flux capacitor", or whatever...

(and if you don't know what a flux capacitor is, go to your local video store, and rent an old movie called "Back to the future")

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-07-08, 03:53 PM
Yeah, that is a gorgeous body style. One of Cadillac's finest ever, and it's only made more epic by the fact it's a Biarritz Coupe. Welcome to our site, we hope you enjoy it! :)

CadillacGurl
06-07-08, 08:40 PM
Welcome to the forum!

MauiV
06-07-08, 09:35 PM
:postpics:

Of Suzanne anyway.

Suzanne
06-07-08, 09:56 PM
Thank you all very much. I told the lady what all of you said and I guess she is going to just get rid of it. She doesn't have the money to fix it. So, sadly she is going to try to sell it for whatever she can get. It makes her very sad.

gary88
06-07-08, 10:01 PM
Welcome to the fourms!

Lord Cadillac
06-08-08, 07:53 AM
Welcome, Suzanne! That car was a favorite of mine for a long, long time.. Why don't you put it up for sale in our classified section? It doesn't cost anything and I'm sure somebody here would love to get a shot at it...

Suzanne
06-08-08, 11:42 AM
Thank you, that is a great idea. Hopefully, someone who has an appreciation for this particular car would be willing to give it a good home. That would make this lady feel better about selling it.:)

AlBundy
06-08-08, 05:31 PM
Do she know for sure it's the engine? The mechanic might be trying to take her for a ride because she's a woman(as already posted).

Playdrv4me
06-09-08, 03:17 AM
Do she know for sure it's the engine? The mechanic might be trying to take her for a ride because she's a woman(as already posted).

+1... or the Mechanic has no idea how to work on this unique motor and is just blowing smoke up her a$$ because he doesnt know what hes dealing with.

Suzanne
06-10-08, 12:14 AM
Thank you all for your suggestions. Actually she has had the same mechanic for years, in fact I think this mechanic is the one who sold her the car. He is a friend of hers and has been babying the car for her for years. So, I would hope that he would be truthful with her. He told her it is not worth fixing, so he doesn't stand to make any money from her on it.

egheorghe
06-23-08, 09:02 PM
Does anyone knows a good, decent mechanic around NW Chicago for my '98 Deville?