: STS on Cover of "Automobile"

b4z
06-03-04, 06:13 PM
Just received it in the mail today.
STS on the cover with a 1 page review and how it stacks up against the
new RL, Infiniti, etc. and the Germans.

majax
06-03-04, 09:35 PM
Please summarize what it says, thankyou.

b4z
06-04-04, 08:42 AM
Here it the link to the pics.

http://www.automobilemag.com/gallery/0407_2005_cadillac_sts_acura_rl_2006_infiniti_m45/

Review was very favorable.
I think they like the RL a little better, but this was not a
full road test. More of a overview.
I am not even sure if they drove the cars.

Vesicant
06-04-04, 11:38 AM
The RL and the Q are pretty sweet, but the RL's rear end reminds me of a hyundai elantra (2000+) and the Q's reminds me of the toyota avalon... not sure why this is , common lines and tailights i guess. Plus, the Q's taillights take up wayyyy too much space on the rear :want:.

Cadillac needs to do something more to the front of the STS ... it looks ok but it needs a slight revising. Maybe different shaped headlights. The rear and the sides are great, those still hold true to the roots of what the STS was before. Overall, id still take the Cad because of that N* and the option for RWD or AWD now. The best combos for that engine.

EgyptianQueen
06-04-04, 11:55 AM
I am getting the notion that everyone is against the STS, and the vehicle has not even made it to the street. Cadillac set the standard people, not Infiniti or MB or BMW or Lexus. These bozos were learning when Cadillac was making the standard. Cadillac fell asleep at the wheel and this is what happened. Foreign companies came in a modified Cadillac ideas and now all of a sudden, they are the "it." Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, it is competition. Stop being so judgemental and when the vehicle comes out, take a test drive. Then decide if it is a piece of junk or a stretched CTS, like someone commented earlier.

b4z
06-04-04, 12:02 PM
Art and Science aslo looks better in darker colors.
Don't know why Cadillac insists on showing them in silver.

EgyptianQueen
06-04-04, 12:44 PM
This I do agree with. All the shots of the vehicles of Cadillac's redesign were done in Silver. Maybe a Red or the blue would be nice

cguthrie
06-04-04, 10:02 PM
I happen to love the new STS.

I originally looked at full size jag sedans before purchasing my 99sts, & thought I'd upgrade quickly to a XJR, but discovered the early 98-02's have serious engine challenges, being cam chain adjusters (plastic) disolving at only 30K!

I'm enjoying the heck out of my STS, love the n*, and will run her to 150K, then will either buy a 03 STS, or the supercharged 05, depending how the planets line up.

Dollar for dollar, the car just rocks!

Chris
99sts

CTScop
06-05-04, 10:11 PM
I am getting the notion that everyone is against the STS, and the vehicle has not even made it to the street. Cadillac set the standard people, not Infiniti or MB or BMW or Lexus. These bozos were learning when Cadillac was making the standard. Cadillac fell asleep at the wheel and this is what happened. Foreign companies came in a modified Cadillac ideas and now all of a sudden, they are the "it." Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, it is competition. Stop being so judgemental and when the vehicle comes out, take a test drive. Then decide if it is a piece of junk or a stretched CTS, like someone commented earlier.

What else should car people be but judgemental? I have seen one in person and posted my opinion thusfar. I was excited about the internet information and pics I'd seen, but less than impressed with the production vehicle I checked out the other day. By the By, the one I saw was black with neutral int.

Annnnnnnnyway, your right as far as driving. It may and prob does drive very sweet. I only commented on the similarity to the CTS. I had hoped it would be somewhat more different. I imagine it will grow on me as did the CTS. Further, the subtle body lines are very sophisticated and classy. And, as we all know the NorthStar is a great engine and prob is smooth as glass, but powerful.

We'll see.....but of course even civilized men (and women!) can disagree.

1toycad
06-09-04, 01:52 PM
I am getting the notion that everyone is against the STS, and the vehicle has not even made it to the street. Cadillac set the standard people, not Infiniti or MB or BMW or Lexus. These bozos were learning when Cadillac was making the standard. Cadillac fell asleep at the wheel and this is what happened. Foreign companies came in a modified Cadillac ideas and now all of a sudden, they are the "it." Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, it is competition. Stop being so judgemental and when the vehicle comes out, take a test drive. Then decide if it is a piece of junk or a stretched CTS, like someone commented earlier.With all due respect EQ, but your knowledge of automotive history has some gaps. Mercedes was making luxury cars when Cadillac was still in diapers. Mercedes has been, and still is, setting the "standard" when it comes to automotive innovation in top of the line luxo cruisers. Except for the war years, and then the post-war years when Germany's factories were devastated and raw materials were in very short supply, Mercedes was making cars that were far superior to anything that Cadillac was making.

Don't get me wrong, I really like my SLS. But my 1999 SLS with only 21K miles on the clock is, in many signifiant ways, behind the ball when compared to my 1991 420SEL with 248k miles on the clock.

I agree with you that Infinity and Lexus are recent arrivals, carpetbaggers as it were. But Lexus and Infinity learned to make cars by taking apart Benzes and taking their best design features and improving on them. Lexus became a hot-seller by copying and then improving on Benzes, not by copying and improving on Cadillacs.

My next new car will probably be an STS, but my decision will be made, to a great degree, by my disgust with the German government failure to support the US during the Iraq war. I certainly have no desire to help out their economy. But if Cadillac starts putting on too many Canadian parts in their cars, I'll go look elsewhere. I hold the Canadian government with the same degree of contempt that I hold the German government. (I DO like Germans and Canadians though, it is their respective governments that stink!)

As for the 2005 STS, I like what I see so far. But as with most American cars, I will wait until the car has been in production for at least a couple of years before. I certainly don't want GM to do R&D at my expense which, unfortunately, they seem to do a lot of it.

me3head
06-09-04, 02:40 PM
The STS looks bad in red IMHO. It looks better when the taillights contrast.

I also would no call the STS A&S. More like Art & Deville

b4z
06-09-04, 03:22 PM
Yeah, this car has definetely been Lutzed. Literally took the edge right off of it.
The rounded off top rear fenders in the aerial photos are the worst offenders and the fact that the rear is all deville is second.

The profile is absolutely fantastic though.