: High initial quality for Chevy and Infiniti

Jesda
06-05-08, 06:04 PM
http://www.jdpower.com/corpora...08063 (http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.aspx?ID=2008063)

Honda models capture three segment awards—more than any other nameplate in the 2008 study—for the Civic, CR-V and Fit. Garnering two segment awards each are: Chevrolet (Malibu and Silverado LD); Dodge (Dakota and Durango); Infiniti (EX-Series and M-Series); Lexus (LS and RX); and Mercedes-Benz (CLK-Class and E-Class). The Porsche 911 has the fewest quality problems in the industry, with just 67 problems per 100 vehicles. Also receiving segment awards are the Ford E-Series, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda MX-5 Miata, Pontiac Grand Prix Sedan and Toyota Sequoia.

SUMMARY: The Infiniti EX and Chevy Malibu are new, and both scored at the top of their class for initial quality. This is usually a difficult thing to achieve for a new model.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-05-08, 07:11 PM
Hmmm...the E Class is in there. I guess JD Power doesn't look at the quality of stitching when they do their reports.

Playdrv4me
06-05-08, 11:25 PM
OK... I'll admit it... I want an Infiniti EX. There, it was good to get that off my chest.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-06-08, 12:38 AM
As much as I hate to say it, Infinity is not a bad company. My grandparents own a '98 I30 and I'll be the first to say its a damn nice car. That thing has balls too. For the size of the 6 that's under the hood it will kick my ass any day of the week.

Jesda
06-06-08, 09:11 AM
OK... I'll admit it... I want an Infiniti EX. There, it was good to get that off my chest.

Keep it in the closet...

RightTurn
06-06-08, 09:29 AM
SUMMARY: The Infiniti EX and Chevy Malibu are new, and both scored at the top of their class for initial quality. This is usually a difficult thing to achieve for a new model.

Too bad the '08 CTS couldn't pull that off. It's such a winner in every other way.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-06-08, 09:30 AM
That new FX50s is badass.

MauiV
06-06-08, 10:55 AM
The surprising one for me is the Grand Prix. Everyone I know that owns or has owned a GP has had a ton of problems out of them.

I too LOVE the FX. IMO one of the best looking rides available.

Playdrv4me
06-06-08, 11:25 AM
The surprising one for me is the Grand Prix. Everyone I know that owns or has owned a GP has had a ton of problems out of them.

I too LOVE the FX. IMO one of the best looking rides available.

I thought the inclusion of the Navigator was questionable as well.

AMGoff
06-06-08, 02:52 PM
Out of all of the pseudo-prestige Japanese brands, I like Infiniti the most... for the simple fact that they seem to make a little extra effort in differentiating them from their pedestrian Nissan counterparts. No matter how good Lexus can make a car, they just leave me completely uninspired... and Acura? Ha... While many may argue otherwise, I just don't see Acura as a maker of "luxury" cars. Don't get me wrong, they make a fine premium car... but a bunch of 6-cylinder, FWD cars all wrapped up in a package that screams "gussied-up Honda" just doesn't do it for me. If anything, I've always thought of Acura as the "Japanese Buick." So it's kind of ironic that Buick wants to be the "American Lexus."

But I will give a :thumbsup: to most Infinitis... Although I will have to disagree with the new FX - I don't like what they've done with it whatsoever. The original FX was a gorgeous piece of rolling art as far as I'm concerned... All they did was take a beautiful vehicle and mangle just for the sake of updating it.

gary88
06-06-08, 03:00 PM
I once test drove an '05 G35 coupe and was really impressed by everything except the lack of elbow room and the fiddly tilt/telescope levers. The engine (torque everywhere) and handling really make that car shine.

Playdrv4me
06-06-08, 03:17 PM
I once test drove an '05 G35 coupe and was really impressed by everything except the lack of elbow room and the fiddly tilt/telescope levers. The engine (torque everywhere) and handling really make that car shine.

The G35, FX35 and 350Z have BAR NONE the BEST six cylinder exhaust note I have EVER heard. Even better than BMW. It is just the absolutley perfect amount of exhaust tone.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-06-08, 03:34 PM

Yeah, Gary's not lying. That 3.5L V6 literally has torque everywhere. I once drove an '02 Maxima GLE, and I popped the glovebox open and what did I find? Torque! I then popped the center console open and found MORE torque. And what lied in the trunk? A big gob of torque! It was unbelieveable!

MauiV
06-06-08, 04:50 PM
When I bought the V is was VERY close to just holding out for the G37 to arrive last summer. I was infatuated with that car but I love the room and the performance the V offers, plus its sneakier.

Chicano-Mexicano
06-07-08, 11:56 AM
Well I don't put to much behind initial quality studies because almost every car has good initial quality (even some shitty ones) and ,most of the studies I've seen just check the ascetics and how the car acts after a few days or so, but that doesn't really tell the whole story cause after a few months of ownership they can start showing how bad they really are.

Like the late model Eagle Talons for example, my cousin bough one new in 1998 (the car was claimed to have very good initial quality) car had good quality interior quality seat stitching was machine straight (unlike a certain Bavarian company that every one seems to worship) and every thing fit together nicely, clear coat was flawless, engine idled and performed fine, and so on, but after about 3 months the car started to turn into a heap, the driver side mirror stopped working for no reason, the turbo blew when he was taking off from a light (and he wasn't flooring it), the dash developed an irritating rattle after about 4 weeks of ownership (dealer couldn't fix it), and the seat sticking started to pull apart. So in my opinion I would take these initial "quality" reports with a grain of salt because every car is great after only a day or 2 of ownership but it's after a month or 2 of ownership that you really see how much effort was spent to keep the car in one piece for more that a week.