: Do Not Feed Them.

Jesda
06-05-08, 05:51 PM
I live in the west suburbs of St Louis County. This means I pay a little extra in rent and drive a little further to get to work so I can avoid:

Uninsured drivers
Bums
Noise
Traffic
Burglaries
Carjackings
Slums
...and other urban treats.

Well, I got off the highway yesterday and saw a homeless man holding up a sign in MY part of town. I was LIVID. In Spokane, Washington, where I used to live, homeless people were on every damn corner. The weather was nice and they made SERIOUS cash doing absolutely nothing.

This guy in a VW Beetle was in front of me at the stoplight and handed the homeless guy a small wad of cash. CASH! Not just quarters, but actual GREENBACKS! I can't imagine what compelled him to give -- maybe he'd never seen a homeless person before. Most homeless people are mentally insane or faking, and the last thing they need is free money.

In addition, the light was GREEN. He sat there at the GREEN light and began talking to the "homeless" man, so I hit my horn and held it there... and held it there... and held it there... as obnoxiously as I could, following him with the horn down until we got to the next intersection.

I shouted "f*** you" at the 'homeless' guy (the top was down, so I was able to look him right in his face and point) and gave the VW driver a double middle finger. VW guy sat there and said nothing. Homeless guy just looked at me like I was nuts.

Hopefully I prevented the homeless man from feeling invited, and maybe he'll spread the word.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-05-08, 06:03 PM
You're a riot Jesda.

RightTurn
06-05-08, 07:24 PM
And maybe the homeless guy was hungry. Geesh.

93DevilleUSMC
06-05-08, 07:40 PM
One of every three homeless men in the United States is a veteran, Jesda. Think about that. Next time you feel like shouting "f*** you" at a homeless guy, consider that you are probably telling this to a veteran.

dwight.j.carter
06-05-08, 07:49 PM
All I can say is pure comedy. However he does bring a good point what if they where in the service. I would say to the guy I am not giving you money because I fear you will buy booze with it and leave it at that.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-05-08, 07:51 PM
If they were in the service, kudos to them, but still though, how'd they get to be homeless in the first place?

dwight.j.carter
06-05-08, 07:52 PM
If they were in the service, kudos to them, but still though, how'd they get to be homeless in the first place?

Post tramatic stress most are to out of it to hold down a job. However they would probably take the money to buy more booze.

93DevilleUSMC
06-05-08, 07:53 PM
All I can say is pure comedy. However he does bring a good point what if they where in the service. I would say to the guy I am not giving you money because I fear you will buy booze with it and leave it at that.

I usually just ask them; I can tell the ones who where, and the ones who are lying. That's what happens when you work in downtown Atlanta and all the restaurants are surrounded by homeless.

urbanski
06-05-08, 07:55 PM
tomorrow is the 64th anniversary of D-Day

93DevilleUSMC
06-05-08, 08:17 PM
tomorrow is the 64th anniversary of D-Day

So go find a veteran and buy him a double cheeseburger! Vet gains a fuller stomach; you only lose a buck. For the guy who gave a few years of his life for your liberty, that's a good trade-off.

gary88
06-05-08, 08:47 PM
My philosophy is if a bum has to ask for money, I'm not giving. If there's one sitting on the corner hunched over in tattered rags with a cup in front of them, I'll consider it.

ABCF
06-05-08, 09:39 PM
Let no eminance of station in life make us forgetfull we are all brothers, for he who is placed on the lowest spoke of fortunes wheel is justly entitled to our regard.

I hope the guy was not a Vet.

Jesda
06-05-08, 09:43 PM
So go find a veteran and buy him a double cheeseburger! Vet gains a fuller stomach; you only lose a buck. For the guy who gave a few years of his life for your liberty, that's a good trade-off.

Yeah, because a Happy Meal fixes everything!

Not.

The homeless need to be institutionalized into programs that provide counseling, reform, and treatment.

GIVING CASH TO A BEGGAR PERPETUATES ADDICTION. Thats the LEAST compassionate thing you could possibly do. It doesn't matter if he was a vet or a child molester -- giving him cash WILL DO HARM.

My "f*ck you" stands! Healthy little turd in his 20s begging like he can't find work... BULL. What he needs to find is a river (we have many to choose from) to drown himself in. So many people in this world would do ANYTHING to be here, and this piece of crap has the audacity to bring down MY neighborhood and beg for free cash in AMERICA? Lazy, unappreciative piece of crap is all he is. My family came to the US broke in the middle of a recession and worked toward prosperity. I can't understand some Americans -- most of them should be deported.

RightTurn
06-05-08, 09:52 PM
Such compassion, Jesda. I hope you never suffer mental illness and lose yourself. There but for the grace of God.

And to Dwight Carter...so what if he needs a drink? After reading some of these responses, I need a drink too.

Jesda
06-05-08, 09:58 PM
Such compassion, Jesda. I hope you never suffer mental illness and lose yourself. There but for the grace of God.

If *I* end up homeless, I want programs and resources available for rehabilitation. I hope that a stranger won't give me drug and alcohol money to ease his own pathetic guilt.

There is a HUGE difference between providing organized services and feeding bums. One alleviates a problem, the other makes it MUCH worse. Compassion is not a meaningless freebie. Your idea of compassion lacks responsibility and forethought and causes harm.

In fact, this means you hate the homeless even more than I do.

dkozloski
06-05-08, 10:08 PM
The homeless are psychotic, on drugs, on booze, and everything in between. The bleeding hearts decided they shouldn't be institutionalized and chased them out into the streets in the name of personal freedom. If they won't accept help and direction in their lives there is nothing to be done for them because you can no longer force them into treatment.

RightTurn
06-05-08, 10:23 PM
Your idea of compassion lacks responsibility and forethought and causes harm.

In fact, this means you hate the homeless even more than I do.

Do you realize how absurd you sound? Do not presume to project MY feelings. kthx.

Jesda
06-05-08, 10:25 PM
Do you realize how absurd you sound? Do not presume to project MY feelings. kthx.

The book. It is open for the reading.

You project, I read.

dkozloski
06-05-08, 10:31 PM
The bleeding hearts who thought they were doing the insane and addicted a big favor by turning them out of the institutions, instead destroyed whatever little chance they had. Rather than sympathy and a handout they need to be treated and monitored to whatever degree it takes to get them back into the mainstream.

Rolex
06-05-08, 10:32 PM
I see both sides to the argument. I personally don't regard beggars as harsh as Jesda, but I agree with him that there's a BIG difference between helping out someone who "has less" and enabling a person's self destructive lifestyle. I won't give beggars in my area a penny. First, they usually have their car parked in a busy parking lot to blend in. Second, several of them have big dogs to draw at people's heart strings. People bring them 50# bags of dog food for their pets and they return it in exchange for cash. If you can't afford to feed yourself you have NO business owning a 90# dog.

There's so much construction work and so many temp agencies in my area these people have to WANT to NOT work. The trouble now days is even construction and temp workers have to be able to pass a drug screen. I just assume if these people can stand on their feet at intersections all day in the heat to beg, then they have the physical prowess to work a laborer's job.....which they would do if they could pass a drug screen. Any $$$ you give them goes toward their self destructive lifestyle IMO.

eta: The best help to the homeless locally is to donate to the "free meal" places, red cross, and salvation army.

DILLIGAF
06-05-08, 10:37 PM
LOL at Jesda.I'm with you on this one.I can't tolerate begging,especially when it slows traffic.I'll give people a couple bucks or send a half pint their way if they look like their in need.But I do not tolerate beggers with signs,especially the effers claiming to be a down on their luck vet,,,geeeezzzzzzzzzz.

RightTurn
06-05-08, 10:41 PM
The book. It is open for the reading.

You project, I read.

So...deep.

The bullshit, I mean.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-05-08, 10:48 PM
What difference is a buck gonna do them (the real homeless, not the fakers) anyways? It's a short term joy for them....collect enough money and go buy some booze, some weed or a burger, etc etc. It's not like they're saving the money up towards anything constructive anyways. I truly appreciate the ones that don't need other's hard earned money as a help to the bigger and better. I understand that it's a hard process to go from homeless to living a safe life, but with enough hard work and gumption, you CAN do it.

Playdrv4me
06-05-08, 10:56 PM
So...deep.

The bullshit, I mean.

RT's feistyness is making me all hot and bothered. Now more than ever I demand pic of the mysterious RT. :p

Anywho... Our homeless guys in South Tampa have it made... There is one who I call "Dale Mabry Bob", he is fatter than I am and spends his days walking up and down the fine establishments along this major street. He consumes so many calories that he can barely stand with his gut the size of a medium sized canine. Then there is "Dale Mabry Sue", she peruses the same stretch of road with a shopping cart that never seems to go empty... I fear for Dale Mabry Bob however, because she's always yelling at something and Dale Mabry Bob can't handle conflict.

RightTurn
06-05-08, 10:57 PM
What difference is a buck gonna do them (the real homeless, not the fakers) anyways? It's a short term joy for them....collect enough money and go buy some booze, some weed or a burger, etc etc. It's not like they're saving the money up towards anything constructive anyways. I truly appreciate the ones that don't need other's hard earned money as a help to the bigger and better. I understand that it's a hard process to go from homeless to living a safe life, but with enough hard work and gumption, you CAN do it.

I sincerely hope you never have to find out just how difficult that is. Many of those unfortunates are mentally ill and have NO resources and no hope. What difference is a buck gonna do? Maybe give someone a little comfort. If it's a scam, so what? You're only out a frackin' dollar.

RightTurn
06-05-08, 10:59 PM
RT's feistyness is making me all hot and bothered. Now more than ever I demand pic of RT. :p

Just imagine a shapley blonde with great legs. That's not me, but you will enjoy the vision. :alchi:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-05-08, 11:04 PM
I think that with enough institutionalization and medical treatment, they can be saved and rehabilitated for a constructive life that will add to society, instead of taking from it. Sure, they may not have glorious jobs, but they'll still be doing something that will be constructive. And I understand that some may not have any resources or hope, but there's gotta be something that they can do to help them selves or something we can do as a society, in terms of maybe a social outlook program to help them...

Anyways, it's good to see a discussion such as this. I miss all the feisty, insightful, smart discussions we used to have on the site.

RightTurn
06-05-08, 11:07 PM
Well, back to Jesda's point. There are not enough institutions or programs to help all that need it. And how do you propose to get them to the phantom institution? Will you give them a lift in your Benz?

orconn
06-05-08, 11:08 PM
I live in the west suburbs of St Louis County. This means I pay a little extra in rent and drive a little further to get to work so I can avoid:

Uninsured drivers
Bums
Noise
Traffic
Burglaries
Carjackings
Slums
...and other urban treats.

Well, I got off the highway yesterday and saw a homeless man holding up a sign in MY part of town. I was LIVID. In Spokane, Washington, where I used to live, homeless people were on every damn corner. The weather was nice and they made SERIOUS cash doing absolutely nothing.

This guy in a VW Beetle was in front of me at the stoplight and handed the homeless guy a small wad of cash. CASH! Not just quarters, but actual GREENBACKS! I can't imagine what compelled him to give -- maybe he'd never seen a homeless person before. Most homeless people are mentally insane or faking, and the last thing they need is free money.

In addition, the light was GREEN. He sat there at the GREEN light and began talking to the "homeless" man, so I hit my horn and held it there... and held it there... and held it there... as obnoxiously as I could, following him with the horn down until we got to the next intersection.

I shouted "f*** you" at the 'homeless' guy (the top was down, so I was able to look him right in his face and point) and gave the VW driver a double middle finger. VW guy sat there and said nothing. Homeless guy just looked at me like I was nuts.

Hopefully I prevented the homeless man from feeling invited, and maybe he'll spread the word.

What can I say! Spoken like a true BMW driver.

DILLIGAF
06-05-08, 11:11 PM
In the metropolis of 15,000 people I live in,we have 1 homeless lady that I know of.I see her everyday,tons of people have tried to set her up in an apartment,get her help of any kind and she won't take it.She spends her day walking the streets checking vending machine coin returns,and yes people see her coming and put quarters in the returns for her.Mentally ill,,,,,,,,,,you betcha!We would love to see her scooped up and get some help.She lives in some trees with a bunch of trash all year round,we don't know where or if she bathes.The kicker here,she belongs to a very affulent family,millions and millions of old oil money.NOBODY can help her.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-05-08, 11:12 PM
Sarah, would you give them a lift in your CTS? Who cares now how we get them to these institutions....we've gotta make them first. As a country, we have to be more interested in such a system...not sure how long that would take to get rolling, but it's gotta start from the top down...maybe with government subsidaries? I guess it's not a good time economically to talk about MORE government spending. But I think it's the only way it would get some serious action going...

Didn't FDR have some systems and programs to help employ more people during the great depression? Isn't that something close in theory?

Well, I'm off to bed, good night everyone.

RightTurn
06-05-08, 11:14 PM
No, I would not give them a lift in my CTS, but I would sure as hell give 'em a dollar. :lol:

RightTurn
06-05-08, 11:16 PM
My favorite bum is the one down at Four Corners. His sign says "Why Lie? I need a beer." I ALWAYS give him some money. I know what it's like to need a beer. :alchi:

93DevilleUSMC
06-05-08, 11:23 PM

A lot of these guys deal with stress disorder after coming back from Iraq. Some of these guys get discharged and have no family to go to, no home, and no training to use in civilian life.

93DevilleUSMC
06-05-08, 11:29 PM

Not.

The homeless need to be institutionalized into programs that provide counseling, reform, and treatment.

GIVING CASH TO A BEGGAR PERPETUATES ADDICTION. Thats the LEAST compassionate thing you could possibly do. It doesn't matter if he was a vet or a child molester -- giving him cash WILL DO HARM.

My "F! you" stands! Healthy little turd in his 20s begging like he can't find work... BULL. What he needs to find is a river (we have many to choose from) to drown himself in. So many people in this world would do ANYTHING to be here, and this piece of crap has the audacity to bring down MY neighborhood and beg for free cash in AMERICA? Lazy, unappreciative piece of crap is all he is. My family came to the US broke in the middle of a recession and worked toward prosperity. I can't understand some Americans -- most of them should be deported.

Some of these guys are doing the best they can to get back to a normal life, no thanks to guys like you.

Yeah, you've got genuine scum out there, called panhandlers, but some of these guys get thrown out onto the streets by cheating spouses who did the cheating while their husbands where deployed to a war zone that they might not have wanted to go to.

Right now, the VA can only help about 150,000 homeless veterans get off the streets per year, out of the 400,000 homeless veterans we know about. So yes, we citizens should be out helping these guys to whatever degree we can, even if it means having to give up a dollar or two of our ****ing baconator money.

93DevilleUSMC
06-05-08, 11:35 PM

One act of compassion does more than you sitting here posting, Jesda. There are two sides; those who do something about a problem, and those who sit around complaining and griping about it. It is obvious what side of the problem you are on.

Sinister Angel
06-05-08, 11:53 PM
A lot of these guys deal with stress disorder after coming back from Iraq. Some of these guys get discharged and have no family to go to, no home, and no training to use in civilian life.

Christ, get some ****ing education then. Seriously, the Army has *seriously* quality educational benefits. ****, I'm making money going to school for christ's sake!

Sinister Angel
06-05-08, 11:58 PM
No, I would not give them a lift in my CTS, but I would sure as hell give 'em a dollar. :lol:

Ha! I knew it! Mother ****ing limousine liberal!

Here's what the quote should be:

No, I would not give them a lift in my CTS, but I would sure as hell give 'em YOUR dollar. :lol:

illumina
06-06-08, 12:05 AM
In...

93DevilleUSMC
06-06-08, 01:31 AM
Christ, get some ****ing education then. Seriously, the Army has *seriously* quality educational benefits. ****, I'm making money going to school for christ's sake!

You still have guys who have master's degrees ending up on the streets. Shit happens, and while I don't advocate blanket welfare, I still say that average people need to occasionally help a veteran out. Maybe it's a damn double cheeseburger. Maybe it's helping the guy find a shelter. Either of the above beat inaction.

dkozloski
06-06-08, 01:41 AM
They aren't going to do a damn thing to help themselves until they hit rock bottom. Until that time, anything you might do that's considered a "hand up" is simply enabling behaviour. It's much like a lazy kid that won't get off the couch and get a job until he's thrown out of the house on his ass. Of course those that are psychotic need to be treated but there is no mechanism consistant with current law that will allow them to be institutionalized until they are a danger to others or themselves.

93DevilleUSMC
06-06-08, 01:57 AM
They aren't going to do a damn thing to help themselves until they hit rock bottom. Until that time, anything you might do that's considered a "hand up" is simply enabling behaviour. It's much like a lazy kid that won't get off the couch and get a job until he's thrown out of the house on his ass. Of course those that are psychotic need to be treated but there is no mechanism consistant with current law that will allow them to be institutionalized until they are a danger to others or themselves.

For the other two out of three homelesss, you're right. The panhandlers are the worst, because they are out using those who genuinely need help as a cover for their activities.

Jesda
06-06-08, 06:11 AM
I sincerely hope you never have to find out just how difficult that is. Many of those unfortunates are mentally ill and have NO resources and no hope. What difference is a buck gonna do? Maybe give someone a little comfort. If it's a scam, so what? You're only out a frackin' dollar.

Its not just a scam, its a LIVING... one that perpetuates despair and addiction. How -you- feel by giving is completely irrelevant to how your actions affect reality.

Jesda
06-06-08, 06:14 AM
One act of compassion does more than you sitting here posting, Jesda. There are two sides; those who do something about a problem, and those who sit around complaining and griping about it. It is obvious what side of the problem you are on.

No, your act of misguided compassion makes it worse. My doing nothing at least does no harm.

Jesda
06-06-08, 06:15 AM
RT's feistyness is making me all hot and bothered. Now more than ever I demand pic of the mysterious RT. :p

I have her pre-stalked. I call dibs.

RightTurn
06-06-08, 07:46 AM
Ha! I knew it! Mother ****ing limousine liberal!

Here's what the quote should be:

:thepan: Just because I don't want anyone stinking up my car does not mean I don't want them to have supper tonight. :D I work for a living, but I still have compassion.

Damn, I'm a fabulous person. :lol: Just finicky about my Caddy.

RightTurn
06-06-08, 07:47 AM
I have her pre-stalked. I call dibs.

O....rly?? :eyebrow:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-06-08, 08:04 AM
Yeah, there's a list Sarah. Jesda's number four. Ian's number five. I'm number two. :D

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-06-08, 09:35 AM
Unfortunately, I am closer to Jesda on this topic. There is a homeless guy who lives in a minivan in the parking lot at work. I have told him several times that we are hiring and the McDonalds right next door hires a hell of a lot of people too, but he won't even apply. He gets a Link card (food stamps in IL) mailed to him. Don't know how, he doesn't have an address. He is a really nice person, just lazier than shit. He reads nearly constantly and is not mentally ill or lacking education, he would rather just be a drain to society instead of .... I'm going to say the forbidden word ... working.

Playdrv4me
06-06-08, 11:56 AM
homeless guy who lives in a minivan in the parking lot at work.

Any rivers nearby?

RRoGS8hZsEI

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-06-08, 12:08 PM
Actually, the DuPage river parallels the parking lot! :histeric:

The video is broken, but I remember it anyway.

"You'll be livin' in a van, down by the river!"

Playdrv4me
06-06-08, 12:13 PM
Actually, the DuPage river parallels the parking lot! :histeric:

The video is broken, but I remember it anyway.

"You'll be livin' in a van, down by the river!"

LOL!!! How perfect is that!

My bad on the video! Looks like they disabled remote linking...

Here ya go... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRoGS8hZsEI

93DevilleUSMC
06-06-08, 12:42 PM
No, your act of misguided compassion makes it worse. My doing nothing at least does no harm.

You're right; you do no harm. You do absolutely nothing, and seem content with that.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-06-08, 01:17 PM
Sometimes it's better just to stay out. Think of an awkward conversation. You don't wanna go into there and get rolled into the snowball of shit. Just stay out and watch from the sidelines.

93DevilleUSMC
06-06-08, 01:24 PM
That right there, Chad, is why you have homeless soldiers; because apparently civilians are too damned good to grow a pair of balls and help out. Civilian-run shelters and charities could be far more effective than the government.

But hell, what the **** do I know? I'm just a Marine who gives a shit about other Marines.

Playdrv4me
06-06-08, 01:28 PM
Civilian-run shelters and charities could be far more effective than the government.

I 100% agree with this... I also 120% thank every single soldier and veteran for their service to our country and my ability to have my freedom.

However, while Im all for Civilian shelters and ORGANIZED charities, I am going to have to side with Chad and Jesda and say there are really no circumstances under which I feel a handout is justified. This is primarily because I know if I asked for one, I certainly would not get it, nor do I deserve to.

Also, the irony is that the VAST majority of mentally-ill war vets out on the streets don't have it "together" enough to BE ASKING for money reliably to begin with. The war vets are the poor guys you see flailing their hands in the air, staring at a wall, dancing around etc. I am going to go ahead and say that 99% of those homeless out there that have signs they are waving proudly in the air that say "WAR VET, PLEASE HELP", are nothing of the sort.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-06-08, 01:49 PM
I have to wonder why so many of the homeless are veterans? I'm sure 93deVilleUSMC can chime in why.

93DevilleUSMC
06-06-08, 01:58 PM
I have to wonder why so many of the homeless are veterans? I'm sure 93deVilleUSMC can chime in why.

You have a lot of guys who are still left over from the Vietnam War. The VA is only over the last few years starting to address the problem, which leaves two or three decades of homeless soldiers who aren't on anybody's map. Today, the public supports the troops, but during the Vietnam era, it wasn't always so. Add to that a similar trend in homelessness with Iraq and Afghanistan. Traditionally, when the services discharge you, where you go is considered to be your own problem. Now, try finding a job in a market which is being flooded with illegal immigrants. Add to that the fact that vets often turn to drinking heavily to drown out some of the memories of mutilated bodies and other horrors of war. You also have situations where the immediate family can't be contacted, nor can the extended family. Sometimes spouses will throw these guys out because they still duck when they hear firecrackers going off at Fourth of July gatherings (it reminds them of RPG attacks and IED detonations).

93DevilleUSMC
06-06-08, 02:02 PM
I 100% agree with this... I also 120% thank every single soldier and veteran for their service to our country and my ability to have my freedom.

However, while Im all for Civilian shelters and ORGANIZED charities, I am going to have to side with Chad and Jesda and say there are really no circumstances under which I feel a handout is justified. This is primarily because I know if I asked for one, I certainly would not get it, nor do I deserve to.

Also, the irony is that the VAST majority of mentally-ill war vets out on the streets don't have it "together" enough to BE ASKING for money reliably to begin with. The war vets are the poor guys you see flailing their hands in the air, staring at a wall, dancing around etc. I am going to go ahead and say that 99% of those homeless out there that have signs they are waving proudly in the air that say "WAR VET, PLEASE HELP", are nothing of the sort.

You have to use judgement to tell who is a vet and who is lying. Usually the fakers will try and sell me some tall tale of some super-secret special operations outfit that they were with, but can't even tell me what an M16 is. Those I turn away. On the other hand, I've had guys come up to me, and because I heard them use a bit of lingo that only a Marine would pick up on, I'd quiz them a bit further. If they pass, I can spare a buck; if not, goodbye.

I'm not advocating blanket hand-outs; I say to hell with these moochers and liars who are out there hustling. The legitimate vets, on the other hand? I say "Leave No Man Behind" doesn't stop on the battlefield.

gothicaleigh
06-06-08, 02:11 PM
What can I say! Spoken like a true BMW driver.

I was going to make some snarky remark about how that 3-series convertible was wearing off on him or how no one pays attention to drivers in bimmers flipping people off and laying on the horn anymore because it is so commonplace, but you beat me to it. :D

93DevilleUSMC
06-06-08, 02:17 PM
I was going to make some snarky remark about how that 3-series convertible was wearing off on him or how no one pays attention to drivers in bimmers flipping people off and laying on the horn anymore because it is so commonplace, but you beat me to it. :D

Huh. Down here, it is mainly Toyota minivan drivers and Ford SUV drivers who do this.

gary88
06-06-08, 02:46 PM
The funny thing about today is I saw a guy standing in the middle of traffic on Fullerton today with a change cup asking for money with a sign. Fhackin panhandler.

dkozloski
06-06-08, 03:26 PM
My best buddy had a business right across the street from the Rescue Mission and there was no way he could hire any kind of labor from anybody that stayed there. One time a guy asked him for a job and he put him right to work loading scrap lumber on a truck. He went inside the door of his business, came out 40 seconds later and the guy was OUT OF SIGHT. In todays economy you have to be pretty messed up not to have some kind of job.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-06-08, 03:31 PM
It's sad when even the illegals will fight harder for a job than an American citizen.

dkozloski
06-06-08, 04:06 PM
Warner & Swasey, now owned by the Bendix corporation, funded a huge private program for helping the homeless and unemployed. The went so far as to give them a place to live, hired handlers to get them out of bed, get them dressed, and get them to work on time in an effort to help them develope good habits. It always turned out the same way. With the first paycheck the client would disappear and they'd find the guy living in a cardboard box again. This is what they want to do. As distasteful as it sounds to us this is their chosen lifestyle.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-06-08, 04:42 PM
Yeah, I suppose it's like the prisoners that when released, don't know how to function "outside".

Jesda
06-06-08, 06:01 PM
You're right; you do no harm. You do absolutely nothing, and seem content with that.

Amen!

Thats the thing about charity -- you should leave it to professionals.

dkozloski
06-06-08, 06:41 PM
Is it any surprise that the parents that produced the worthless kids that they can't get off the couch and out of the house also favor giving handouts to worthless bums that won't work.

On graduation day my neighbor gave his boy a map showing twenty ways out of town and threw him out of the house.

dkozloski
06-06-08, 06:54 PM
Fairbanks has a huge problem with drunken Indians that pee and poop on the street and inside the stores. The only program that anybody has come up with that has produced any positive results at all was developed by the natives themselves. They take them to an isolated camp town on an island in the middle of the Yukon river. If they don't want to contribute to the group and their own welfare they are sent to the other end of the island to live on their own. The millions of mosquitos take care of that notion in short order. After they bathe and clean themselves up they are allowed to live with the others on the island and they are all given chores to perform. If they rebel, it's back to the mosquitos. I've talked to several of the graduates of this program and they universally say that it's the best thing that ever happened to them. A large percentage graduate to BLM forest fire fighting crews that have a stellar reputation all across the U. S. Every summer these crews are sent all over the west to fight fires in the most critical locations. These guys can make really good money and have a new found pride in what they have accomplished.

Sinister Angel
06-06-08, 07:18 PM
...civilians are too damned good to grow a pair of balls and help out. Civilian-run shelters and charities could be far more effective than the government.

But hell, what the **** do I know? I'm just a Marine who gives a shit about other Marines.

Ha! Hahahahahaha! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Give me a break.

93DevilleUSMC
06-06-08, 07:28 PM
Ha! Hahahahahaha! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Give me a break.

There's your break.

orconn
06-06-08, 07:58 PM
I have also heard of the rehabilitation program run by the indians to rehabilitate members of their group and integrate them back into productive and responsible life. I think it is very laudable that the indian community of Alaska has taken it upon itself to deal with the alchohol problem of some of its group members.

During the 25 years that Los Angeles' downtown financial district was my business home I witnessed the growing number of homeless on the streets as the changes in the laws pertaining to treatment of the mentally ill changed in the early sixties and on into the seventies. Law enforcement and mental health professionals were no longer able to assist or provide mandatory help for those individuals who, as dKoz said, were not a "legal" threat to themselves or to others. During the time my offices were located in downtown L.A. the homeless and others desiring a hand out converged on the financial district, which is adjacent to many of the "flop houses," private welfare establishments, and parks and other places to sleep and get a meal if you are chronically without money. The vast majority of homeless we encountered daily had a serious mental or alchohol or drug problem. Many were Vets, many were older mentally ill forced out of mental health facilities because under the new laws federal and state funding was not available or became unavailable due to the interpretation of the "new rights" of the mentally ill. I believe this is the main reason we have seen the presence of the "homeless" increase dramatically over the years. As states grew more and more used to not having to fund, and the new laws encouraged them to neglect those in true need of help with their mental illness.

I also understand the reluctance of young, working Americans to try to understand the problems of the mentally ill and to continue to abet the manifestations of mentally ills behavior in drinking and drug use or simply threatening bizarre behavior. I also understand peoples resentment of those who scam to make a living off the real needs of the hmeless. After all, this was not created by their generation, or even my Vietnam Vet generation, but rather by their grand parents generation.

I beleieve, we must find a way to help those truly in need, whether they are Vets, or people who are suffering from an unlucky draw from the gene pool and are truly mentally ill. Like so many things that in our society I am afraid it will take a very awful event before we seriously address the problem .......... it took Katrina before we looked seriously at timely disaster relief and it took "9-11" before we really addressed our border and internal security problems. I wish it were easier but unfortunately it takes a threat that everyone can understand before we are motivated to address a threat that confronts us every day.