: Cash

Lord Cadillac
06-05-08, 03:10 PM
This certificate is legal tender for all debts public and private

So why can't I use it to pay for a local toll to get on the I95 in West Palm Beach?

urbanski
06-05-08, 03:28 PM
:lol:
silly floridians

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-05-08, 03:38 PM
confused... :confused:

Playdrv4me
06-05-08, 03:41 PM
Must be Sunpass only or something... Or they finally started taking credit cards at the toll booths here (THANK GOD) which they have done in Kansas forever.

dkozloski
06-05-08, 03:47 PM
I just can't imagine taxpaying Americans being willing to pay tolls at all. Every toll situation eventually morphs into highway robbery.

Playdrv4me
06-05-08, 03:52 PM
I just can't imagine taxpaying Americans being willing to pay tolls at all. Every toll situation eventually morphs into highway robbery.

Here in Tampa, I don't use the one or two main tollways for this very reason, and because with a little driving, it is easy to get around them. However, in South Florida you are F**KED if you don't use the Tolls because every major connecting point almost requires a portion that is charged. If you want to try and brave the city or go MILES out of your way you can probably get around them, but otherwise you're paying.

Also, the "Florida's Turnpike" is the only real way to get down into the Keys.

AMGoff
06-05-08, 05:18 PM
I just don't like it when a state takes a portion of an Interstate Highway and throws a toll on it.. Our tax dollars already went to build the damn things and they are used to maintain them. Delaware does it on the itty-bitty stretch of 95 that runs through the state... as well as the part of 95 which merges with the NJ Turnpike up in Central Jersey.

Needless to say, I'll take any smaller "B" roads whenever possible in order to bypass such things.

Anyway... as far as a toll booth not taking cash... that's just plain absurd. We have EZ-Pass up here, but there are dedicated lanes for such... with cash/EZP lanes right next to them.

I would contact whichever road authority is in charge of those tolls and make a complaint... as you said, it's legal tender - they have to accept it.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-05-08, 05:31 PM
The first time I experienced toll roads was last February, in Illinois. What a stupid idea....using additional tax payers' money towards the roads, which were STILL shitty. I'm so happy they don't have those in MN.. But when it comes to highway usage versus "B" roads, I'd take a good "B" road anyday of the week....mainly because they're just that much more interesting to use versus a highway or freeway.

MauiV
06-05-08, 05:44 PM
The EZ Pass in Houston is tied directly to your checking account and it only charges you half of what the normal cash toll is.

The toll roads in Houston were built by Harris County when the Texas Highway Commission would not award enough money for upgrades. They are now looking at adding a 3rd and 4th spur of toll roads out of town because the usage on the others shows the demand.

Sit on I-45 just 1 time in August in traffic and you will GLADLY pay that toll the next day and the EZ Tag scanners work up to 90mph! Its the best $2 you can spend in Houston.

dkozloski
06-05-08, 05:58 PM
The EZ Pass in Houston is tied directly to your checking account and it only charges you half of what the normal cash toll is.

The toll roads in Houston were built by Harris County when the Texas Highway Commission would not award enough money for upgrades. They are now looking at adding a 3rd and 4th spur of toll roads out of town because the usage on the others shows the demand.

Sit on I-45 just 1 time in August in traffic and you will GLADLY pay that toll the next day and the EZ Tag scanners work up to 90mph! Its the best $2 you can spend in Houston.
What the hell kind of corrupt political system is that where you can't get roads built where you need them? You people need to run some crooks out of office instead of letting them extort you. If anybody tried that kind of nonsense around here they'd get run clear out of the state.

orconn
06-05-08, 09:34 PM
The first time I experienced toll roads was last February, in Illinois. What a stupid idea....using additional tax payers' money towards the roads, which were STILL shitty. I'm so happy they don't have those in MN.. But when it comes to highway usage versus "B" roads, I'd take a good "B" road anyday of the week....mainly because they're just that much more interesting to use versus a highway or freeway.

Obviously, Chad, you haven't experienced the "B" roads of New Jersey...... or come to think of it the "A" roads either. Ofcourse, the New Jersey Turnpike, which is a toll road is no great ride either!

orconn
06-05-08, 09:48 PM
What the hell kind of corrupt political system is that where you can't get roads built where you need them? You people need to run some crooks out of office instead of letting them extort you. If anybody tried that kind of nonsense around here they'd get run clear out of the state.

I seem to recall a certain "Bridge to Nowhere" that a certain Alaska Senator was trying to get built with tax money from the lower 48! It seems to me that most of the toll roads are built by private consortiums and are not paid for from state and local taxes ........ hence the need to collect tolls to re-coup their investment and make a profit ......... it's called capitalism.

Could it be the lack of toll roads in Alaska would suggest insufficient traffic to make a return on private investment worhtwhile or even feasible. There is also the wind fall of oil royalties into Alaska's government coffers, which I am sure helps build roads and other infrastructure which wouldn't be contemplated if they had to be paid out of Alaskan citizens wallets. Last I heard New Jersey hasn't gotten any oil royalties as yet.

dkozloski
06-05-08, 11:19 PM
I seem to recall a certain "Bridge to Nowhere" that a certain Alaska Senator was trying to get built with tax money from the lower 48! It seems to me that most of the toll roads are built by private consortiums and are not paid for from state and local taxes ........ hence the need to collect tolls to re-coup their investment and make a profit ......... it's called capitalism.

Could it be the lack of toll roads in Alaska would suggest insufficient traffic to make a return on private investment worhtwhile or even feasible. There is also the wind fall of oil royalties into Alaska's government coffers, which I am sure helps build roads and other infrastructure which wouldn't be contemplated if they had to be paid out of Alaskan citizens wallets. Last I heard New Jersey hasn't gotten any oil royalties as yet.
There were two infamous bridges to nowhere. One was proposed so that the residents of Ketchican could get to the airport without a dangerous boat ride. The other was to be built across Knik Arm to cut about forty miles off the commute between Anchorage and Wasila.

Any more wise ass remarks from the lower 48 and we can divert the North Slope oil to foreign markets and you bastards can walk.

Jesda
06-05-08, 11:22 PM
I would like tolls more if they reduced traffic, but really they don't.

AMGoff
06-06-08, 04:26 PM

Well... Unfortunately, the other 49 states (with the exception of West Virginia) aren't lucky enough to be represented by the reigning "king of pork." If every state were luck enough to have their own Mr. Stevens steering 3 billion dollars (just in the last 9 years mind you) to their respective states then everyone would have more than enough funding for everything they needed.

"Corrupt" is such a multifaceted term... some could say that $3B steered to a state with less than 700,000 people might be a little corrupt.

Obviously, Chad, you haven't experienced the "B" roads of New Jersey...... or come to think of it the "A" roads either. Ofcourse, the New Jersey Turnpike, which is a toll road is no great ride either!

I'd love to know where all of these horrible "B" roads are in NJ?? The quality of such roads are dependent on a county by county basis. All of the roads in my county are well taken care of... and even the larger "A" roads that are maintained by the state are in good condition.

And as far as the Turnpike goes... As far as I'm concerned, it exists for one purpose only... and that's as a means to get to NY. Other than that, there's very little reason to even use the Turnpike, at least in this part of the state. I can only think of three times in my entire life when I got on the Turnpike for reasons other than going to NY.

MauiV
06-06-08, 05:53 PM
I would like tolls more if they reduced traffic, but really they don't.

The Hardy and the Beltway 8 have FAR less traffic than I-45 and I-610 that they parallel and to me its worth every penny.

dkozloski
06-06-08, 06:14 PM
Well... Unfortunately, the other 49 states (with the exception of West Virginia) aren't lucky enough to be represented by the reigning "king of pork." If every state were luck enough to have their own Mr. Stevens steering 3 billion dollars (just in the last 9 years mind you) to their respective states then everyone would have more than enough funding for everything they needed.

"Corrupt" is such a multifaceted term... some could say that $3B steered to a state with less than 700,000 people might be a little corrupt.

Less than 1% of the land in Alaska is in private ownership. We have no say about anything that goes on in the remaining 99% of federal land. We're expected to maintain your land for you with no source of revenue. It's got to be the biggest unfunded mandate ever created. Alaska has 1/5th the land mass of the remaining 49 states and 700,000 people are expected to provide you with parks, roads, and the rest of the public amenities out of revenue generated on the 1% we try to make a living on. It's a testament to Alaskans that we can support our state government on the little land we have and will have some money left over after we've been raped and pillaged by the federal government.

Jesda
06-06-08, 07:29 PM
The Hardy and the Beltway 8 have FAR less traffic than I-45 and I-610 that they parallel and to me its worth every penny.

That sounds... redundant. But I guess thats on purpose.

AMGoff
06-07-08, 12:16 AM
It's a testament to Alaskans that we can support our state government on the little land we have and will have some money left over after we've been raped and pillaged by the federal government.

Hmmm... what about your oft-touted Alaska Permanent Fund? From what I've read, it seems the legislature uses a nice chunk of the realized earnings off that $40bil** they have sitting in the fund....

** Something else every other state doesn't have the luxury of BTW...

dkozloski
06-07-08, 12:52 AM
Hmmm... what about your oft-touted Alaska Permanent Fund? From what I've read, it seems the legislature uses a nice chunk of the realized earnings off that $40bil** they have sitting in the fund....

** Something else every other state doesn't have the luxury of BTW...
We created the fund and are the beneficiaries of it. Any other state with resources could have the same thing if they hadn't pissed away the money for the moment. The legislature can't spend a penny of the permanent fund without voter approval and it hasn't happened yet. Only the earnings from the investment of the fund can be spent.

On top of the permanent fund we have billions in a general fund surplus as a result of the outrageous prices the oil producers are getting. Alaska takes some of the royalty payments in actual oil that is sold on the spot market.

MauiV
06-07-08, 09:21 PM
That sounds... redundant. But I guess thats on purpose.

What good is a release valve that goes nowhere? Ill pay the extra to go through the EZ Tag at 89mph an NOT sit on I-45 in stopped traffic.