: Professional Coolant Flush

rhw1
06-04-08, 08:43 PM
I have a 99 SLS with 76K miles; cooling system has been well maintained and car has never overheated(I have owned the car since almost new). I see that past posts recomment drain and fill of coolant. Does a professional coolant flush(such as with MG machine) offer any added benefit that may help me avoid the prevalent HG problem?

chubbyranger
06-04-08, 09:07 PM
One school of thought here is that you are inheriting the last guy's garbage when you use a flush machine. When you do a drain and fill you can only get ~1/2 the coolant out of the car so you need to do it periodically to eventually get it all. If you keep the coolant maintained properly through either method it should afford you the same level of protection. If you use a flush machine though it must spit Dexcool into your car unless you want to convert to green coolant which is not recommended. And don't worry, on 99s the HGs don't blow until 100,000 miles :bomb: so you can do the major service at the same time :thumbsup: Only $4K later I still need to change the plug wires :banghead:.

codewize
06-04-08, 10:43 PM
If the system has been maintained then save the cash and do a drain and refill yourself. I don't think I'd do a flush unless something got into the system.

If you're worried about corrosion protection then do a drain and refill, then do it again in 6 months or so. But I think you'll be plenty safe after the first one.

krimson_cardnal
06-05-08, 10:21 AM
I have a 99 SLS with 76K miles; cooling system has been well maintained and car has never overheated(I have owned the car since almost new). I see that past posts recomment drain and fill of coolant. Does a professional coolant flush(such as with MG machine) offer any added benefit that may help me avoid the prevalent HG problem?

You know the history of the vehicle. No added benefit with a machine and, as been said above, might not even be a good idea. Continue with what you've been doing - best thing for it. K_C