: More evidence of Mercedes Benz in decline.

Jesda
06-03-08, 04:01 PM
http://www.q45.org/gallery2/d/7292-1/Seatbacksmall.jpg

http://www.q45.org/gallery2/d/7289-1/Seam2small.jpg

http://www.q45.org/gallery2/d/7285-1/Seam1small.jpg

This is the stitching in a month-old E-class. PATHETIC! Dealer called it normal!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=580191

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-03-08, 04:23 PM
It's no secret that they're not engineered or built like they used to be. It really hit bottom right around the time they merged with Chrysler (OMG, have you seen a first generation ML or 2000+ C Class???), but it's improving now.

Submariner409
06-03-08, 04:30 PM
If I'm not mistaken, MB changed from a fanatical quality-control producer of motorcars to a mass-producer of products (with attendant quality slipups) about 12 - 15 years ago. There was quite an article in Road&Track to that effect.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-03-08, 04:33 PM
I'd be very interested to read that article. It seems to me that all the cars designed after about 1996 (debut of the "new style" front fascia and the W210 E Class) have been severly lacking in overall quality, especially in the build quality aspect.

AMGoff
06-03-08, 05:17 PM
MB has been on the decline for years now... and it started well before the "merger." At least before (early to mid-90s), one only had to worry about mechanical reliability... but they were still doing quality interiors. Unfortunately that's gone to pot as well.

It's no secret that one of the reasons Diamler wanted Chrysler was to learn how to better mass produce cars... which in theory should have helped to improve overall reliability... however, doing such has resulted in a decrease of quality.

I make no effort to hide my distaste for Mercedes... they used to make some world class automobiles, but if I were to ever buy one... I wouldn't be caught dead in one made after 1990 or so (Sorry Chad :hide: )

gary88
06-03-08, 05:25 PM
Embarrassing!

Playdrv4me
06-03-08, 05:26 PM
My Crossfire SRT-6 cum SLK32 AMG (the SLK was 55k new) is a piece of crap. It's fun piece of crap, but a piece nonetheless.

At just 24000 miles the windshield wipers weren't working, thankfully a simple wiring issue to the motor which cost me 76.00 at the FiveStar dealer, the latch for the rear tailgate was making all kinds of racket which I had to rectify with ELECTRICAL TAPE on the latch itself, the passenger's seat motor up and down functions are inoperative, and finally the entire door lock system is shot because water made its way down behind the right rear window and flooded the spot where the Vacuum pump (another wonderful Mercedes innovation 20 years past its prime :rolleyes: ) sits, which in turn corroded the end of the WIRING HARNESS which now also has to be replaced at a cost of around 1100.00.

I have owned a Range Rover with nearly 100000 miles which did not hold a CANDLE to this Crossfire on such ridiculous issues. I can only imagine if this was a W220 S Class.

gary88
06-03-08, 05:29 PM
Sounds like you need to get back in that M3 :cool2:

Cadillac Tony
06-03-08, 05:33 PM
That's considered "normal" in an E-Class? For a car that starts at $53,000 (base), that's just abysmal. Makes me a lot prouder of the craftsmanship in this $37,000 CTS in my showroom. :)

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42535&stc=1&d=1212525183

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-03-08, 05:47 PM
We got an '01 ML320 on trade the other day at work. I sat in it and thought I was in a mid '90s Hyundai with wood trim. It was that bad. It didn't even have the automatic climate control....in a Mercedes!!! The dash was made of hard plastics...overall, the car just felt cheap. Very, very cheap.

http://i23.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/f5/00/4037_3.JPG

Submariner409
06-03-08, 06:36 PM
If you put it all in perspective, I~luv is critiquing build quality based on vehicles assembled when he was 9 years old, long after most of the world's vehicle marques had sunk to the volume mass production pits of hell. Go back to the 60's and earlier when builders took pride in their coachwork and mechanicals. (Not to say there weren't lemons (Edsel?)(Mercury Comet?)), but by and large, automobiles, although mass-produced according to Henry Ford's innovation, showed more care and attention to detail.

...and make no mistake: MB is the German equivalent of GM, which equates to cars for all seasons.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-03-08, 06:43 PM
Yeah, in other parts of the world, M-B doesn't carry quite the level of prestige and wealth that it does here. In many countries, M-B is the chief supplier to the taxi companies, and in Europe and Africa, many of the heavy duty semi trucks in use are Mercedes Benz. Now M-B owns (owned?) a few semi truck companies here...Sterling, Freightliner, etc etc.

Destroyer
06-03-08, 08:21 PM
I've been looking for something a bit better on gas for the wife. Been looking at smaller cars but look at everything on the lot and I gotta say I'm not impressed with the quality of ANY car I've seen. I have to admit that the GM's, Fords and Chryslers are the worse. Seems auto makers are too obsessed with being one up on each other with big headlights, useless gadgets (mostly), and other bullshit and have pretty much tossed craftmanship and quality materials out the door.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-04-08, 02:06 AM
We need a smiley for "Epic Fail"

gary88
06-04-08, 02:16 AM
That's an odd-looking gas pedal on that ML

RightTurn
06-04-08, 09:20 AM
Yeah, in other parts of the world, M-B doesn't carry quite the level of prestige and wealth that it does here.

I don't know anyone who considers MB a symbol of "prestige and wealth." Those years are long gone IMO.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-04-08, 11:10 AM
Who carries the torch now?

Playdrv4me
06-04-08, 11:14 AM
I don't know anyone who considers MB a symbol of "prestige and wealth." Those years are long gone IMO.

Well, no one is going to look down their nose at an S550 or an SL65 AMG, but yes... For the most part MB's are an embarassment to what Germany is capable of producing. It also takes MB along time to rectify problems because much like GM as mentioned above, it is a shareholder controlled entity, not a privately owned FAMILY owned company like BMW. BMW made some mis-steps in design and has had its turds like the E65 7 Series as well (and the E32 7 in the 80s), but they responded quickly by extending warranties on all 02 and 03 cars to 100k miles at no cost, and working out the software issues which the cars were so prone to.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-04-08, 11:28 AM
M-B has lost their way, Cadillac has also lost their way, but they're working like hell to get it back. As I'm sure many of you know, back in the decades before the '80s, Cadillac was arguably the most desirable & prestigious automotive brand in America. Then the fuel crisis happened and people wanted smaller, sportier cars, then the foreign companies got real popular because they offered what the public wanted, then in the '80s, Cadillac tried applying breakthrough techology to their cars for the fuel economy factor, but they rushed it to production, not testing it thoroughly enough and marring Cadillac's reputation for peerless quality and turning buyers off for decades. Now they're thoroughly competitive again and thank god it's time!

96Fleetwood
06-04-08, 11:48 AM
The quality of the more $$ Mercedes is still phenomenal. Having personally driven a r230 SL600 with the Renntech Stage I tuned 5.5l biturbo V12 ~1200 miles nonstop, I can say the engineering and finish was just beautiful. Even the SL55 AMG my Father had was pure bliss, he had no complaints with 32K on the clock when he sold it (other than the harsh ride which is why he got the SL600).

I also had the opportunity to ride in a 2008 S63 AMG and it was amazing.

A good friend of mine just leased a new C class and it seems to be of quality.

Are there more complaints than this one E class? I am sure every company has mistakes and would like to see if the seats were like that in just that car or all the E class models..

Cadillac is just as guilty... the 2005 STS my Father had a while back was horrible in quality. The ignition start button and some of the buttons on the HVAC/Radio started wearing after 15K miles.

Lord Cadillac
06-04-08, 12:01 PM
I'm surprised to see this because the latest S-Class seems to be getting better ratings than the Lexus LS (in regards to quality and reliability)..

orconn
06-04-08, 12:10 PM
http://www.q45.org/gallery2/d/7292-1/Seatbacksmall.jpg

http://www.q45.org/gallery2/d/7289-1/Seam2small.jpg

http://www.q45.org/gallery2/d/7285-1/Seam1small.jpg

This is the stitching in a month-old E-class. PATHETIC! Dealer called it normal!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=580191

Looks like the "Guest workers" are getting restless! No wonder Mercedes reliability has gone down the tubes! As for the dealler he should go back to selling Yugos!

gdwriter
06-04-08, 01:03 PM
You nailed it, Jesda. Such shoddy workmanship on any new car is pathetic, especially so on an E-Class Mercedes. Did the assembly workers forget about the DaimlerChrysler divorce and think they were building a Caliber? Sheesh!

The leather in my 17-year-old DeVille has straighter stitching.

cadillacmike68
07-23-08, 02:10 AM
My Crossfire SRT-6 cum SLK32 AMG (the SLK was 55k new) is a piece of crap. It's fun piece of crap, but a piece nonetheless.

At just 24000 miles the windshield wipers weren't working, thankfully a simple wiring issue to the motor which cost me 76.00 at the FiveStar dealer, the latch for the rear tailgate was making all kinds of racket which I had to rectify with ELECTRICAL TAPE on the latch itself, the passenger's seat motor up and down functions are inoperative, and finally the entire door lock system is shot because water made its way down behind the right rear window and flooded the spot where the Vacuum pump (another wonderful Mercedes innovation 20 years past its prime :rolleyes: ) sits, which in turn corroded the end of the WIRING HARNESS which now also has to be replaced at a cost of around 1100.00.

I have owned a Range Rover with nearly 100000 miles which did not hold a CANDLE to this Crossfire on such ridiculous issues. I can only imagine if this was a W220 S Class.

VACUUM PUMP for the Door Locks ?!? Didn't Cadillac eliminate this "feature" in 1969 ????? I knowthey did because i'm trying to get my 1968 outfitted with PDLs and the68s used vacuum while trhe 69s did not. Same with the trunk release - again change from 68 to 69 model years. I can't believe mb would try to implement such a finicky system.....

Playdrv4me
07-23-08, 05:28 PM
VACUUM PUMP for the Door Locks ?!? Didn't Cadillac eliminate this "feature" in 1969 ????? I knowthey did because i'm trying to get my 1968 outfitted with PDLs and the68s used vacuum while trhe 69s did not. Same with the trunk release - again change from 68 to 69 model years. I can't believe mb would try to implement such a finicky system.....

You got it... I believe the W210 or W211 finally eliminated this nonsense in the mainstream line, but the SLK had it through the end of it's first generation run in 2004. I don't know if the current S Class still has it or not, but it's pretty stupid when everyone else uses an electric system.

As far as the seat however, I found out there apparently IS no up and down function on the passenger seat, but the switch still operates the same as the driver's side.

danbuc
07-23-08, 05:30 PM
They had numerous problems with the vacuum pump in the 170's, it's no wonder the crossfire sufferes the same issues.

Mercedes are definitely NOT the car they used to be. The 221/216 chassis might have a nice interior, but it's tarnished by numerous electrical problems, and mechanical failures.

The 272/273 engines aren't worth the metal their built out of. Oil leaks, wearing timing gears, failing cam adjustment magnetic solenoids.....

Not to mention that they have still yet to perfect the "4-Matic" system. It's still inefficient, and unreliable.

Their wonderous 722.9 7 speed tranny was complete failure upon launch. Complete piece of garbage that thing is. No wonder AMG was hesitant to adopt it, preferring to stick with the trusty 'ole 722.6 5 speed (which wasn't anything special either).

The avergage new Mercedes is a prime example of cost cutting measures gone horribly wrong.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-23-08, 05:31 PM
I love my vacuum powered door locks. I'm just glad they're not hydraulic powered, like M-B used to use...

Sandy
07-24-08, 09:29 AM
I wish I had a camera that could take good pics & I wish I knew how to post. But, I don't :hmm:
I went down to my garage to see the stitching on my 2003 Lincoln Town Car.
It blows away that M-B ! It's double stitched, like the Caddy one that Tony posted, and the material is turned under (French Seam) I think they call it and the thread is color matched to my choice interior color (called "Mushroom") a blend of light grey and light beige. The seams & the thread are straight as an arrrow. Then, I looked at my 1993 Sixty Special with the white leather (last year for white interior in a Caddy, BTW). Thread is white, double French Seam tucked under and seams are straight.
I could purchase for cash any NEW C, or E Class, any 3 or 5 Series or a Jag X or S Type. I chose to drive either a Lincoln, a Cadilac or a Top Tier Chrysler or Buick. Since Chrysler killed the Imperial (1978 last one) I have left them.
The Buick Lucerne SUPER is a terrific car, with the Caddy NorthStar V-8, and is totally overlooked by those who consider themselves wise shoppers.

Destroyer
07-24-08, 10:44 AM
The Buick Lucerne SUPER is a terrific car, with the Caddy NorthStar V-8, and is totally overlooked by those who consider themselves wise shoppers.A "wise shopper" would never buy a vechicle that depreciates as fast as a Buick or Cadillac/Lincoln. Nowadays the best bets are Japanese cars as far as retaining value. A "wise shopper" will take this into consideration when buying a car. Sad but true. I just cant believe that you can buy an '03/'04 Deville with low mileage for under $10k.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
07-24-08, 11:45 AM
I wish I had a camera that could take good pics & I wish I knew how to post. But, I don't :hmm:
I went down to my garage to see the stitching on my 2003 Lincoln Town Car.
It blows away that M-B ! It's double stitched, like the Caddy one that Tony posted, and the material is turned under (French Seam) I think they call it and the thread is color matched to my choice interior color (called "Mushroom") a blend of light grey and light beige. The seams & the thread are straight as an arrrow. Then, I looked at my 1993 Sixty Special with the white leather (last year for white interior in a Caddy, BTW). Thread is white, double French Seam tucked under and seams are straight.
I could purchase for cash any NEW C, or E Class, any 3 or 5 Series or a Jag X or S Type. I chose to drive either a Lincoln, a Cadilac or a Top Tier Chrysler or Buick. Since Chrysler killed the Imperial (1978 last one) I have left them.
The Buick Lucerne SUPER is a terrific car, with the Caddy NorthStar V-8, and is totally overlooked by those who consider themselves wise shoppers.

I think it looks cool when the thread is a different color from the leather if you have a two tone interior. Your 60 speical would look damn sexy if the stitching on the seat was the same color as the dash and carpeting (black or purple, I can't tell).

The Tony Show
07-24-08, 11:46 AM
That depends on if you're buying a car to drive or to resell in 3 years, Destroyer. Perhaps you didn't notice that Sandy has a 2003 and 1993 in his garage, which tells me that he likes to hang on to gems instead of trading them off "just because". Both the Lucerne Super and the Lacrosse Super are excellent values for someone who plans to keep the car for a while. Their resale might be horrible, but the value for the money is terrific compared to a lot of its competitors.

AMGoff
07-24-08, 12:25 PM
That depends on if you're buying a car to drive or to resell in 3 years, Destroyer. Perhaps you didn't notice that Sandy has a 2003 and 1993 in his garage, which tells me that he likes to hang on to gems instead of trading them off "just because". Both the Lucerne Super and the Lacrosse Super are excellent values for someone who plans to keep the car for a while. Their resale might be horrible, but the value for the money is terrific compared to a lot of its competitors.

And the congregation once again said - "AMEN."

There's a specific term for those who only gravitate towards the Japanese manufacturers... and "wise shopper" isn't it.

Either way... GM has some cars with tremendous bang for the buck - before depreciation... and even more so after. Which is why late-model GM vehicles are some of the best finds out there.

The Lucerne is a prime example... I've come perilously close to rocking a two year old CXS.

Playdrv4me
07-24-08, 12:47 PM
A "wise shopper" would never buy a vechicle that depreciates as fast as a Buick or Cadillac/Lincoln. Nowadays the best bets are Japanese cars as far as retaining value. A "wise shopper" will take this into consideration when buying a car. Sad but true. I just cant believe that you can buy an '03/'04 Deville with low mileage for under $10k.

To steal a quote from a friend of mine... "That depends what your definition of "wise" is"

Each and every individual values something different about the automobile ownership experience. To some it is merely an A to B form of transportation and it must be as reliable as possible, and still be worth something when they trade it in, right on schedule, 3 years from now. For this type of person I would say your analysis is dead-on.

However, bang for the buck can also work in reverse just for the reason you mentioned. If you happen to be the one who buys a Cadillac for pennies, and you value the driving experience over a dull Jap sedan then I'd say you hit the jackpot with a cheap used Cadillac/Lincoln, whatever. Now I personally wouldn't ever buy a Lucerne, and especially a N* one cause I just plain don't see the point when a Cadillac can be had with more style for similar money. But that's just me.

Jesda
07-24-08, 12:56 PM
A "wise shopper" would never buy a vechicle that depreciates as fast as a Buick or Cadillac/Lincoln. Nowadays the best bets are Japanese cars as far as retaining value. A "wise shopper" will take this into consideration when buying a car. Sad but true. I just cant believe that you can buy an '03/'04 Deville with low mileage for under $10k.

Most luxury cars are sold to leasers just looking for a sweet deal.

Caddy Man
07-24-08, 02:12 PM
I find it funny that a picture of some bad stitching in an E class is conjuring up all these comments about quality in Mercedes...when CTS' (and many other GM vehicles) are notorious for chipped paint on buttons, trim pieces falling off, etc. This could have just been one bad E class but we are judging an entire marque off it. I know Mercedes quality has declined in recent years, but I think some are taking this overboard. Don't get me wrong, I love my CTS, but let's be realistic here. This is just one example in one vehicle of a quality problem.

96Fleetwood
07-24-08, 02:31 PM
45K mile SL600:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3/cadillaclover/Image063.jpg

Looks pretty good to me!

AMGoff
07-24-08, 02:54 PM
I find it funny that a picture of some bad stitching in an E class is conjuring up all these comments about quality in Mercedes...when CTS' (and many other GM vehicles) are notorious for chipped paint on buttons, trim pieces falling off, etc. This could have just been one bad E class but we are judging an entire marque off it. I know Mercedes quality has declined in recent years, but I think some are taking this overboard. Don't get me wrong, I love my CTS, but let's be realistic here. This is just one example in one vehicle of a quality problem.

It goes far deeper than just some shoddy stitching... Years ago, Mercedes used to be synonymous with quality and reliability. However... many moons have passed since those days and the company has been on the decline ever since.

Unlike the Mercedes of years past, the MB of today doesn't care one iota about building quality products, they care about their profit margin and nothing else - exemplified by pathetic craftsmanship brought about by excessive cost cutting.

Granted, there isn't necessarily anything wrong with building a cheaper product per se.... but you can't demand exorbitant prices for a pile of crap.

Either way... it's pretty pathetic when it seems that a Hyundai (Genesis) is built with better quality and standards than some lower-level Mercedes.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-24-08, 03:02 PM
I remember reading somewhere (maybe it was on here) that M-B had recently (within the last two years) decided to cut profits and spend more money on R & D because they knew they had strayed too far from what they were and they knew they looked far worse for it.

Destroyer
07-24-08, 11:34 PM
To steal a quote from a friend of mine... "That depends what your definition of "wise" is"

Each and every individual values something different about the automobile ownership experience. To some it is merely an A to B form of transportation and it must be as reliable as possible, and still be worth something when they trade it in, right on schedule, 3 years from now. For this type of person I would say your analysis is dead-on.

However, bang for the buck can also work in reverse just for the reason you mentioned. If you happen to be the one who buys a Cadillac for pennies, and you value the driving experience over a dull Jap sedan then I'd say you hit the jackpot with a cheap used Cadillac/Lincoln, whatever. Now I personally wouldn't ever buy a Lucerne, and especially a N* one cause I just plain don't see the point when a Cadillac can be had with more style for similar money. But that's just me.I agree with everything you said. Hell, I'm not the guy that sways towards new Japanese cars. I'm the guy that likes to find cars after the initial sucker, uh buyer took the hit in depreciation. These cars are used Caddy's, Lincolns or American cars in general.

If, however I was buying a NEW car, I would never, ever buy a luxury car of any make but especially not a Lincoln or a Caddy or even a Buick. It would be like flushing money down the toilet. There is no real prestige in owning these cars anyway with them being in rental fleets and all.

Jesda
07-25-08, 08:21 AM

Actual transaction prices are lower for a Cadillac than a similarly-equipped MB.

The issue is MB's bragging about quality and heritage, while demanding prices (that people still actually pay!) for new products that don't reflect the company's past commitment to excellence.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-25-08, 10:32 AM
Last night, during dinner, I was reading through my copy of the 1979 Mercedes-Benz brochure, and I was noting some of the innovative features they had. For example, their interior door panels were perforated, nor for looks, but because the HVAC system actually diffused air into the doors, and the air would blow, ever so calmly and subtly, through the perforations in the doors.....this was in 1979! I remember when VW came out with the Phaeton a few years back, they had this feature, but in the headliner, and they claimed it was their idea and they were the first to try it....guess not. It's the little things like that, that made M-B really the best engineered car in the world, atleast the "old" M-B.

Nowadays, I think that BMW can engineer and build a more innovative car, it's too bad they're uglier than Joan Rivers and more complex to use than the Viet Cong tunnel system.

"G$"
07-25-08, 10:35 AM
another problem with MB is that you're paying for the name when you can get equal features in other brands for less. And their styling isn't nearly as good as it used to be.

For instance the other car companies have caught up. You can get virtually equal features in a loaded avalon or accord as you can in a Mercedes. For half the price and which one has better fuel economy?

ahahnu
07-25-08, 01:28 PM
Did anyone watch American Chopper last night? They created a themed AMG bike. The show toured one of their factories, and they let Sr. Paulie and Mikey torque bolts in an engine.

Ok, the fact that AMG asked OCC to create a bike is a red flag. The fact that the three of them touched anything on their production floor..... White flag, just surrender.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-25-08, 01:40 PM
That show is still on the air? :clueless:

Playdrv4me
07-25-08, 01:50 PM
Did anyone watch American Chopper last night? They created a themed AMG bike. The show toured one of their factories, and they let Sr. Paulie and Mikey torque bolts in an engine.

Ok, the fact that AMG asked OCC to create a bike is a red flag. The fact that the three of them touched anything on their production floor..... White flag, just surrender.

LOL my brother told me about that and I was thinking the exact same thing.

Like Chad, I didn't even know it was still on.

///M Technic ftw.... :hide:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-25-08, 01:58 PM
It's always funny to see Germans try to Americanize themselves. It just comes across as awkward.

Destroyer
07-25-08, 11:22 PM
another problem with MB is that you're paying for the name when you can get equal features in other brands for less. And their styling isn't nearly as good as it used to be.

For instance the other car companies have caught up. You can get virtually equal features in a loaded avalon or accord as you can in a Mercedes. For half the price and which one has better fuel economy?You are right!. Buying an Accord or Avalon is almost exactly like buying an E55 or SL65 or any other friegin Benz. You left out the Camry, its just as nice as any Benz too.:helpless:

MauiV
07-25-08, 11:26 PM
CLS 63 is the best looking car on the road IMO and I will own one in the not to distant future.

Destroyer
07-26-08, 12:54 AM
CLS 63 is the best looking car on the road IMO and I will own one in the not to distant future.Buy an Accord, just as nice. Accord has power windows, CLS 63 has power windows. Accord has power locks, CLS 63 has power locks. See, its the same thing!. Save yourself some money AND get better gas mileage man.:histeric:

Sandy
07-26-08, 01:11 AM
Be sure to first check out a Buick Lucerne SUPER with the Caddy Northstar V8 and take the
car out and DRIVE it! Check out all the little cool features on the car, and all the goods that are standard equipment. It's one hell of a car! Real Wood! Supple leather Carpeted Trunk -
Just don't buy one with the black bar grille. Spring for the chome grille Whatever, check out this car and drive it !!
More toys than a good toy store has!

danbuc
07-26-08, 04:31 PM
219 looks like a bar of soap...and not some nice fancy soap. One of those plain round pieces of Dove you buy in bulk at Sam Clubs or something. Not to mention it's a bitch to see out of. It also shares all the usual problems the 211 has, since it's based off the same worthless chassis.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-26-08, 04:40 PM
Dan, what's your favorite Benz? What is the one you would recommend most based on what you've seen?

orconn
07-26-08, 11:47 PM
I don't know about Dan, but I favor a mid-fifties 300S Cabriolet. Not very quick but you sure do look nice when you get there! If one of those is not axailable a '67 450SE Cadriolet would do!

Cliff8928
07-27-08, 05:15 AM
After reading this thread I'm kinda glad I don't have anything newer by MB. Right now I only have a '91 300SL (R129) with the uber-rare 5-speed manual. It's getting old, but it runs smoother than the STS or XLR and definitely looks great for the age. It's also got things I've never seen before on some cars, like a power *inside* rear view mirror. The just recently sold '96 S500 Coupe didn't even have anything like that. A CLS was in the contention along with the STS-V, but the cadillac won out on that one.

danbuc
07-27-08, 03:55 PM
If I could get my hands on a low mileage 202 C43 I'd be a happy camper. Handled well, much more reliable than the 203/204 chassis. Basically it was just an econobox with a big motor in it. Kinda like an SS396 Nova, but slightly more refined. It didn't look like much, but it wasn't prone to all the normal issues a lot of other Benz's were.

I wouldn't buy a new Benz if my life depended on it. The restyling of the 230 is just weird. Kinda looks like they were trying to emulate the jagged lines of the XLR.... The 221, and 216 are nice but they've just got too many damn problems. Oil leaks, failing suspension, SRS problems, ect. I wouldn't mind an early grey market 107 with a manual. Although Benz hasn't had a decent manual tranny in their cars in the last 30+ years, which is why they use auto's in anything with power. And what's with them and no Dual Clutch tranny. Everyone's got one down...even Mitsubishi. I means come on Benz....get your ass in gear. Torque converters are a dying bread these days, especially in a sport car.

The old 300SL roadster was a beatiful car, though it didn't handle as well as it looked. Maybe if I could get my hands on an old vintage 30's Silver Arrow, but that and the C43 are probably it.

In all honesty, I'd rather just have a BMW. Better handling, sportier cars hands down.

edit: The fact that I no longer work for Mercedes, and work for BMW has no bearing on the statements made above... :rolleyes:

Sandy
07-27-08, 04:38 PM
I get a kick outta the fact that you're all on a Caddy board, and most of you also have a M-B.
Are you guys also on any M-B boards? I dion't have a M-B but that's fine. I have no desire to own it.
I like to support American products. Not always, but I mostly buy American Luxury cars.
History follows:

1968 Imperial Crown Convertible with Bucket Seats (ultra rare)
1972 Imperial LeBaron 4-Door Hardtop
1973 Cadillac Coupe deVille - Sold to my Mom
1974 Imperial LeBaron 2-Door Hardtop
1976 Imperial LeBaron Crown Coupe
1982 Imperial Coupe
1986 Lincoln Mark 7
1988 Cadillac Sedan deVille (Wedding Gift to wife)
1993 Cadillac Sixty Special (Current with 9,800 miles - in storage)
1998 Lincoln Mark 8 Collector's Edition
2003 Lincoln Town Car Spring Feature Car "The Limited" (Current with 11,860 miles)

The only one that was a dog and a POS was the 1982 Imperial. That was because the
EFI computer controled engine was designed by an outside company and it had many
problems. Chrysler - under warrentee - trashed it and converted the car to carburation,
(2-Bbl.) TRW was sued by Chrysler, who was able to prove malfunctioning due to TRW
not making the Electronic stuff up to accepted standards.

All the others were 99% trouble-free. I just got tired of them. It's funny to look back at.
The years when I made good $$$$ I got a new car the next year (or so) ~ The looong
stretches between cars were the lean burn Oops, I mean the lean years....

Bur no Bends and no Beemer. I also ALMOST "went bad" and bought a Saab 9.5 AERO, as i was really impressed with that car - but...I went home & took a Advil and laid down for a while and recovered

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-27-08, 09:06 PM
I'm on an M-B board, but I like this one more. There's more action here, people are nicer and the place just feels "homier". It's like that show Cheers: "where everybody knows your name"! Everybody knows everybody and I've been to so many meets...I really like being a part of this site...

And really, I'm still a Cadillac man at heart, I'd love me a '70s landyacht...