: Wireless Printer !!

FIVEOH!!!
06-01-08, 11:22 PM
Where in the world have I been these last few years ! Just installed my wireless printer and it's the best thing since Youtube! Wooohooo:bouncy:

Playdrv4me
06-02-08, 12:12 AM
If it's a Lexmark make sure you do cartridge refills/recycled cartridges as they can be a rude awakening, otherwise the wireless thing is pretty cool.

Red_October_7000
06-02-08, 01:46 AM
Please explain why a big, heavy, completely cessile piece of equipment that is also tied to wall power requires a wireless interface between itself and another, big, heavy, completely cessile piece of equipment that's also tied to wall power, a definitely big, possibly heavy, decidedly cessile and tied-to-wall-power display monitor, among other things?

Playdrv4me
06-02-08, 02:03 AM
Please explain why a big, heavy, completely cessile piece of equipment that is also tied to wall power requires a wireless interface between itself and another, big, heavy, completely cessile piece of equipment that's also tied to wall power, a definitely big, possibly heavy, decidedly cessile and tied-to-wall-power display monitor, among other things?

It's for those of us who have transitioned primarily to laptops and/or have multiple PCs in the household that need to print and the wireless method provides the easiest, most wire-free way to accomplish this for the average Joe.

ewill3rd
06-02-08, 08:22 AM
I recently bought an all in one that is networked. It does not have wireless capability but my wife won't let me install wireless in the house.
Our house is new and pre-wired with Cat 5 to just about every room in the house so it is not really an issue.

I'll tell you that having a printer on the network instead of tied to my computer is pretty awesome, wired or not.
I can't even begin to tell you about all the griping I have heard over the years about the printer having to be connected to MY computer instead of another on my home network.

EcSTSatic
06-02-08, 09:11 AM
It's for those of us who have transitioned primarily to laptops and/or have multiple PCs in the household that need to print and the wireless method provides the easiest, most wire-free way to accomplish this for the average Joe.

Exactly !
We have two offices - one has the ethernet connected MFC printer. It's so much easier to print to a networked printer than to have to boot a second PC with a hardwired (but shared) printer. Our Access Point lets us get to the ethernet LAN from our laptops to. We have networked drives as well as printers. Sound like overkill? It actually makes life easier.

CadillacGurl
06-02-08, 09:29 AM
I need one of those for college!! I hate attaching the printer to my laptop... I like to write up papers in my room and I don't wanna drag butt to connect up my computer then print it... I know I'm lazy...

FIVEOH!!!
06-02-08, 10:42 AM

Maintain amigo :cool2: I have roomates and we all have Laptops. We have only one desktop and we barely use it . I'm not tied to the wall at all . Just the printer :bouncy:

Submariner409
06-02-08, 10:50 AM
Yup, even us old farts have router networks which allow us to sit out here on the picnic table, coffee in hand, hunt and peck on the laptop, and remotely print reams of AJ's graphs and our vast stock market holdings.

Best thing since sliced bread.

eyekandyboats.inc
06-02-08, 07:30 PM
we have one with BLUE tooth and i got a adapter for my PC and laptop... its great! i can be any where, access my main computer for files and print stuff while sitting out on my porch, or on a inflatable in the pool.
its fabulous

AMGoff
06-02-08, 11:49 PM
While we don't have a "wireless" printer per se... we've had our regular, ol' Canon Color Laserjet hooked directly to our Airport for years now. I can't say it makes life any simpler though... since before that, we used to have the printer hooked up to our home server which runs 24/7 anyway.

Jesda
06-03-08, 05:37 AM
I have an old AMD K5 box that I have attached to the wireless router. The printer is attached to that, and my Laserjet 6 functions as a wireless printer.

Or, for $40 you can buy a box to plug into any printer and make it wireless. A guest with a laptop simply connects to my home network, punches in the password, and detects the shared printer.

codewize
06-03-08, 08:42 PM
Both my printers are wired networked. I'm not fond of wireless printers myself. They're pretty cumbersome to configure and difficult to address moves adds and changes.

Additionally in a network environment you don't really want to install the printer software on all the clients, which is almost a must with most wireless printers.