: Genesis WILL rattle some cages... First Drive...

Playdrv4me
05-29-08, 03:55 PM
Edmunds just posted up their first impression of the 2009 Hyundai Genesis V8 a couple of days ago and in short, this thing KICKS A-S-S.

We've discussed this car before, and again I have to say, this car, in no uncertain terms from everything I just read and saw, puts my 7 Series to shame. I mean really, it is no BMW in the driving department but look at the QUALITY of the materials, the whopping *375hp* V8 -AS PROMISED-, the redundant controls between the Multimedia puck and REAL buttons IF you desire to press them, the wood, Adaptive cruise control, an EIGHT INCH multimedia screen, Xenon headlights and a design that is slowly but surely growing on me. If nothing else, this is going to take some wind out of the STS lineup for sure, and Infiniti has just been put on SERIOUS notice.

What a spectacular package. I must drive one of these and then wait 2 hours while it drops to 18995 used.

First Drive here: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=126514#12

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/roadtests/firstdrive/2009/hyundai.genesis/09.hyjundai.genesis.f34.1.500.jpg

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/roadtests/firstdrive/2009/hyundai.genesis/09.hyjundai.genesis.act.f34.2.500.jpg

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//media/roadtests/firstdrive/2009/hyundai.genesis/09.hyjundai.genesis.int.500.jpg

Jay313
05-29-08, 04:16 PM
Meh.

urbanski
05-29-08, 04:25 PM
i'll take a coupe :)

Chicano-Mexicano
05-29-08, 04:35 PM
Since it's made in Korea I'll give it a week before it starts to develop major problems that will result in sever buyers remorse. :)

Playdrv4me
05-29-08, 04:36 PM
Since it's made in Korea I'll give it a week before it starts to develop major problems that will result in sever buyers remorse. :)

Hyundai has had top marks in JD Power's long term reliability studies for several years now. And even then, you still have that sweet 10 year 100k warranty to back you up.

Florian
05-29-08, 04:42 PM
no thanks.

F

CIWS
05-29-08, 04:56 PM
Hyundai has had top marks in JD Power's long term reliability studies for several years now.

Not quite true.

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.aspx?ID=2007130

They are 22nd. After 3 years of ownership.

gary88
05-29-08, 04:57 PM
It still does nothing for me. Interior looks bland and uninteresting. There's no way in hell I'd take that over a 7-series.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-29-08, 05:03 PM
For it's price range, it's golden. Not worthy of a comparison to the 7 series though.

eyekandyboats.inc
05-29-08, 05:17 PM
Not quite true.

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.aspx?ID=2007130

They are 22nd. After 3 years of ownership.
look at that, Cadillac is #3.

Playdrv4me
05-29-08, 05:17 PM
For it's price range, it's golden. Not worthy of a comparison to the 7 series though.

Well yes not really, but it certainly has the technology, power and luxury bases all covered.

AMGoff
05-29-08, 05:47 PM
If the only argument people still have about this car is that "it's still Korean," then you know it's actually a pretty darn good car... an awesome car in fact - for its price tag.

Bias and stereotypes does not a bad car make.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... anyone who is already predisposed to buying Asian cars would be stupid not to check this car out. A good car is a good car... no matter which country it comes from.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-29-08, 05:54 PM
I'd try it because it's new and different.

Chicano-Mexicano
05-29-08, 06:02 PM
OK so they've cleaned up their act since the late 90's (I still don't think 22nd is all that great especially for 33,000-39,000) but it's still pretty bland on the outside I mean its not like a Seville that exuded the essence of a luxury performance sedan that just begged to be pushed to the limit then past it while to me the Genesis just say "Time to go to work at a reasonable speed" and the interior is equally bland and yes it has leather and fake wood trim and a fancy LCD display but their generic leather seats and generic wood trim (the LCD looks pretty average as well). So in my opinion it's a waste of $33,000 or if you buy it second hand $18995 (which doesn't scream great car to me) I mean you can get a decent used Cadillac, Lincoln, BMW, or Mercedes for half that and have a real luxury car with a V8 (except the BMW unless its a M5).

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-29-08, 06:05 PM
Yeah, Asians have never had breakthrough designs like the Europeans or Americans have. Their beauty is in the engineering and reliability.

Chicano-Mexicano
05-29-08, 06:18 PM
Yeah, Asians have never had breakthrough designs like the Europeans or Americans have. Their beauty is in the engineering and reliability.

I wouldn't say that their is the NSX (Japan) and it looked bitchen, the Datsun 240Z (Japan) awesome, the Nissan 300ZX (Japan) kick ass, Mitsubishi 3000GT kick ass (until it was re-badged as the Dodge Stealth) and their are probably some others out their that score some points for style and it's not just the styling of the Genesis that really gets me its the fact that it's a premium luxury car it should have some personality for 33K+ it's like the original Toyota Avalon or Acura Legend reliable yes affordable yes but it looks like a tarted up econo-box and to me a upscale car can't be that I mean look at the Cimmarron.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-29-08, 06:20 PM
Can't forget the most gorgeous Japanese car ever, the 1993-98 Supra.

Chicano-Mexicano
05-29-08, 06:23 PM
Can't forget the most gorgeous Japanese car ever, the 1993-98 Supra.

I new I forgot one!

Lord Cadillac
05-29-08, 06:35 PM
Well I can tell you one thing.. The Genesis is going to have a huge following. The coupe and sedan aren't even on the road yet and the fan sites (http://www.genesisowners.com) are getting busy already.

AMGoff
05-29-08, 08:41 PM
OK so they've cleaned up their act since the late 90's (I still don't think 22nd is all that great especially for 33,000-39,000)...

That Vehicle Dependability Study focuses on the long term reliability of cars over a three year period (ie - the vehicles in this study were from the 2004 MY)... Hyundai actually ranked 18th (Cadillac was actually 2nd since Buick and Lexus tied for 1st) and with 228 reported problems per 100 units (which could be anything from cupholders to transmissions), it wasn't that far off from the industry average of 216 problems per 100 units. They basically tied Chevrolet (226) and did tie Mitsubishi (228), while edging out much more established (not to mention much more expensive) makes such as Volvo (230) and Audi (234), and trouncing such makes as Nissan (274), Mazda (289), Volkswagen (298), Saab (319), and Land Rover (398!).

However, the most important bit of all this information is the fact that we're talking about MY 2004 Hyundais... ranging from the lowly Accent up to the XG350 and all the models in between. I'm sure that once the '08, '09, and '10 VDSs come out, Hyundai will make marked gains on each as their quality has significantly increased even compared to 3-4 years ago.

Further still, this means that these numbers neither encompass, nor have any bearing on the Genesis... if major automotive publications are taken aback by this car, then John Q. Public will be even more so.

I loathe most Asian cars and even I like this new Genesis... can't wait for the V8 Coupe either!

Rolex
05-29-08, 10:04 PM
Hyundai has certainly come a long way. I like it but I'm sure as hell not running out to get one.

Playdrv4me
05-29-08, 10:07 PM
If the only argument people still have about this car is that "it's still Korean," then you know it's actually a pretty darn good car... an awesome car in fact - for its price tag.

Bias and stereotypes does not a bad car make.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... anyone who is already predisposed to buying Asian cars would be stupid not to check this car out. A good car is a good car... no matter which country it comes from.

My point exactly. I really wish I understood the desire to hate on the poor car so much just because it's a Hyundai. And with respect to the opinions above about the quality of the interior...

One of the things that impressed me more than anything else about this car was a tiny detail... There is HAND STITCHED leather on the dash. Do you realize that my 745i does not have hand stitched leather? That kind of attention to detail makes me take notice, wherever it comes from.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-30-08, 09:09 AM
Holy crap! The Genesis uses hand stitched leather on the dash?! The only S Classes that get hand stitched leather on the dash is the S600s.

Cadillac Tony
05-30-08, 10:39 AM
...and every 2008 CTS, which starts at $34k and change. :)

I just read the article, and while it's damn impressive for a Hyundai, I wonder if it's too much too soon. Cadillac has been slowly rebuilding their credibility from the bottom up, starting with the CTS and then moving upmarket slowly before they introduce their 7-series and S-class fighter in the next few years. Hyundai seems to be going at it the other way around, which in my opinion is backward.

I think the concept of a nearly $50,000 Hyundai will be a trifle difficult for most buyers to stomach at this point, regardless of how far they've come. If I were running Hyundai, I think a legitmate CTS/328/C300 fighter for $28k would have been a better opening move.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-30-08, 11:10 AM
No shit? Hand stitched leather in the CTS? Nice! I can't wait for Cadillac to unveil their A8/7 Series/ S Class fighter. :thumbsup:

Jesda
05-30-08, 11:37 AM
The lack of a real full size luxury sedan from Infiniti makes them vulnerable. People who want to move up from an M45 are forced to look at Lexus or this new Hyundai, and Infiniti buyers tend to be more value-driven then others. I guess you could say the same about Cadillac since the DTS, while freaking sweet, doesn't compare to these RWD cars.

Shawn4.0
05-30-08, 02:27 PM
Tell you what, drop that fancy Mitishibi-built V8 into the new RWD Tiburon (based on the Genesis platform), add the Genesis's dash, and you definitely have my attention.

Chicano-Mexicano
05-30-08, 02:37 PM
Tell you what, drop that fancy Mitishibi-built V8 into the new RWD Tiburon (based on the Genesis platform), add the Genesis's dash, and you definitely have my attention.

There'd be no room for you or any thing else in it once you put the V8 under the hood and wouldn't you mean that the Genesis is based on an extended version of the Tiburon platform cause the Tiburon is tiny and if the genesis is Tiburon size then it can't be a full size luxury sedan.

onebadcad
05-30-08, 02:55 PM
look at that, Cadillac is #3.

Would be number one if the CTS-V did not have the rear-end, shifter and peeling Nav buttons issues:hide:.

Shawn4.0
05-30-08, 03:21 PM
There'd be no room for you or any thing else in it once you put the V8 under the hood and wouldn't you mean that the Genesis is based on an extended version of the Tiburon platform cause the Tiburon is tiny and if the genesis is Tiburon size then it can't be a full size luxury sedan.

No, the new 2009(maybe 2010 MY?) will share nothing with the current crapticular FWD Tiburon. It will be based off the Genesis sedan platform (which is all-new), so I can't see other then maybe some body work that was trimmed for the coupe, being a problem for the V8.

dwight.j.carter
05-30-08, 03:55 PM
Car is pretty sharp if you ask me. How much is it ?