: Throttle Body?- 95 SLS

kdybread
06-02-04, 06:31 PM
When I turn my car off, there is a quick and rythmic ticking sound coming from under the hood. I've been told, adn it appears to be that there's trouble with the the throttle body and housing. Caddy dealer is talking about $375 to fix it. Any experiences, suggestions?

eldorado1
06-02-04, 08:01 PM
Kinda sounds like your idle actuator motor... On 95 they have the stepper motor that moves the throttle body right? That's (more than likely) what's clicking. I am sure there are diagnostic checks for it (might be able to find them by searching this site). If you need one, let me know, I've got one sitting here, and it's not doing much :coolgleam

caddyshack24
06-02-04, 11:50 PM
I'm not 100% absolute on this, but i think its normal.. The idle speed control motor is mounted on the throttle body, when you shut the car off.. it tests itself and readjusts for when you restart.. i think i read that somewhere before..

Have somebody cycle the ignition and take a peek.. atleast it's not sporadic :)

bbozsik
06-03-04, 12:48 AM
My idle speed control motor was doing that same thing for a couple of days until it broke. It has since been replaced with a used unit from a salvage yard (60 bucks). It's something anyone can do themselves. That's what I think the sound is, IMHO.

caddyshack24
06-03-04, 01:08 AM
hah, oops. I'm having ISC problems also and i've never heard it make that noise.
Just what i've read.
Could be possibly "stuck" and ready to go, that makes sense.
Perhaps you could use the Onboard computer to cycle the ISC motor.

I could tell you how, but my reference would be to a 1993 STS
also, I priced a new ISC motor at my local caddy dealer for $120.
guess i should have said that earlier.. wasnt in the right frame of mind, not that i am now.. but you know :)

bbozsik
06-03-04, 10:29 PM
I got my ISC motor from a used Caddy recycler in California. Cadillac Auto Recyclers 800-368-2223. 60 bucks. Slow shipping, however... about a week to get to southern Maine. A good clean part, however.

I didn't think that the clicking/snapping sound was the ISC motor, but it was. There was a gear that was stripped on the interior that was causing it and the undulating after turning off the car.

kdybread
08-12-04, 09:57 AM
hah, oops. I'm having ISC problems also and i've never heard it make that noise.
Just what i've read.
Could be possibly "stuck" and ready to go, that makes sense.
Perhaps you could use the Onboard computer to cycle the ISC motor.

I could tell you how, but my reference would be to a 1993 STS
also, I priced a new ISC motor at my local caddy dealer for $120.
guess i should have said that earlier.. wasnt in the right frame of mind, not that i am now.. but you know :)

How do I use the onboard computer to do this?

hardley-etc
08-12-04, 12:54 PM
i have a 94-etc and when you shut motor off, the gas pedal will move up and down in unison with the clicking sound coming from the throttle body region. will click about 7 or 8 times think. the clicking always seems to be the same number of times.

it has been doing this for 3 month/3000 miles. car idles fine, accelerates fine and cruises fine and get good gas mileage. the car does not show any current codes

i do not see any codes for the idle actuator motor or idle speed motor, what ever it is called, in the powertrain control module (PCM) section of the on-board diagonstic system file posted on this site. so maybe can not test for it

i was wondering my self if this was normal? but so far it does seem to be affecting my car.

BeelzeBob
08-12-04, 03:31 PM
i have a 94-etc and when you shut motor off, the gas pedal will move up and down in unison with the clicking sound coming from the throttle body region. will click about 7 or 8 times think. the clicking always seems to be the same number of times.

it has been doing this for 3 month/3000 miles. car idles fine, accelerates fine and cruises fine and get good gas mileage. the car does not show any current codes

i do not see any codes for the idle actuator motor or idle speed motor, what ever it is called, in the powertrain control module (PCM) section of the on-board diagonstic system file posted on this site. so maybe can not test for it

i was wondering my self if this was normal? but so far it does seem to be affecting my car.

NO, not normal. There should not be any clicking coming from the pedal or the ISC motor when you turn it off. Sounds like the ISC motor is starting to fail.