: Head Gaskets

AKBanzai
05-29-08, 01:59 AM
I am up here in Alaska and having overheating problems. I just replaced my water pump, t-stat, radiator cap, and checked the surge line. This stopped the overheating problem for about a day and half. I just had the coolant checked for exhaust gases and it was a definite positive. The shop i took it to didn't want to mess with the head gaskets and i asked if knew of any other shops that he could suggest that would do good work. He didn't. So I'm more than likely going to do the head gasket repair myself.
I found norms kit on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NORTHSTAR-ENGINE-NS300L-HEAD-BOLT-THREAD-INSERT-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a552Q7c39Q3a1Q 7c65Q3a12QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem1502 52545433QQitemZ150252545433 and wondering if it would be in my best interest to find a timesert kit with the guide to drill the block out. Like this http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=9294 but used. I also plan on buying FELPRO cylinder gasket kit and new headbolts and wondering if i need anything else.
And wondering if dkozloski might know of any good shops up here.

misfit6794
05-29-08, 05:00 PM
Norms inserts are bigger, but the timeserts are virtually bulletproof. You may be better off find a shop or cadillac dealer to do the work, as it is a pretty involved process.

dkozloski
05-29-08, 05:41 PM
I couldn't recommend a dealer in Alaska in good conscience. Put an ad in the paper asking for an experienced mechanic. Look out for hustlers.

jeffrsmith
05-29-08, 06:12 PM
Time to knuckle down and do it.

I just dropped my out last night with the help of a friend. I bought the Norm's inserts and was thinking that the guide from the timesert kit would be nice to have but after reading and rereading the posts on this forum I think I will be ok without it if I have a helper to help keep an eye on whats going on while I am drilling.

Just my .02

tateos
05-29-08, 06:57 PM
Used Norms with great success - no problem with alignment - have a helper while you are doing it. Someone suggested drilling a second hole in the tap block - that would probably work, but honestly, I really don't think it is necessary if you have helper

AKBanzai
05-29-08, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I going start to order everything and hopefully when i get back from working 2 weeks everything will be here and i can finish it on my 2 weeks off. I'm leaning towards the norms insert because its has more surface area to grab. and ill see if i can find a shop that might let me barrow the guide plate.