: I'm a newbie and just wanted to introduce myself

Eddiealready
05-27-08, 07:26 PM
I just joined a few moments ago and wanted to say hello. My uncle recently passed away and was kind enough to leave me his 1978 Eldorado. I remember when he bought it new and he kept it as a collector item and it hasn't been driven in about 15 years or so. I was always a car nut growing up and my uncle was one as well and that's why he left the Caddy to me. I have been looking for information for it and came across this forum, so I decided to join.

The car is a 1978 Cadillac Eldorado that is a dark green with padded white vinyl roof. I assume it's vinyl, but you experts would know better than me. Everything was factory on the car and he left it stock. The interior is a leather with cloth weave fabric inserts. The interior is green as well, but the cloth fabric has a green and white pattern to it, if that makes any sense. I'll be taking pictures of it soon and will post them if anyone is interested. It needs some work and hasn't run in years, but has never seen snow or rain from what I understand.

My uncle kind of gave up on life in the past few years before he died and just let it sit in the garage with no car cover and surround it with junk on either side. It needs 4 tires, a battery, and a good cleaning for starters, but has no rust from what I can tell. If anyone is familiar with this model and has some good advice to give, I'm all ears. I'll be towing the car up from my uncle's place in Indiana and getting it to my garage in Northern Illinois where I can work on it. I definitely have some work to do, but look forward to getting started.

gary88
05-27-08, 07:31 PM
Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about your uncle.

orconn
05-27-08, 07:44 PM
First off ......Howdie! and Welcome to the Forum! How great to have inherited your '78 Eldorado. I am sure you will find members of the Forum who can give you good advice and information on your new collector Cadillac. I hope when you get it to your home you find it hasn't suffered too much deterioration and that inside storage has kept it well. A really good cleaning should do wonders for it's appearance. Very often original sales brochures are available on Ebay ar reasonable cost. These can give good information on original equipment on the car and upholstery and color choices for that year. The brochures also give a feel for the style of the era when the car was produced. Good luck with your '78 Eldorado ..... and do post pictures and keep us up to date as you progress with the car.

Lord Cadillac
05-27-08, 08:55 PM
Sorry to hear about your uncle! But welcome to Cadillac ownership...

Eddiealready
05-27-08, 09:06 PM
Thank you to all who have replied so far. I'm looking forward to getting it towed to my home and cleaning it from top to bottom. I think the car is sound and I couldn't find a hint of rust anywhere. Opening the door and getting inside the car was like opening up a time capsule. The interior is in great shape and needs a gentle cleaning. The outside is where I'll be spending the majority of my time. I'll be checking the drive train and suspension out pretty good too. It only has 29K on the odometer. My uncle used to take great pride in this car and it wasn't until the mid 90's where he decided to park it for good. I doubt the car ever sat outside a day in it's life after my uncle bought it. I'm excited at the possibilities that this car contains and the looks I'll probably be getting after I get it road worthy.

Rolex
05-27-08, 10:36 PM
:welcome5: Sorry for your loss too.

CadillacGurl
05-27-08, 10:39 PM
Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry for your loss. The guys in this forum will be happy to answer any of your eldorado questions: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/

Destroyer
05-27-08, 11:46 PM
Cool car. Sucks about your uncle bro. Cant wait to see the pics!:cool2:

AMGoff
05-28-08, 01:23 AM
I'm sure you've had your fill of condolences... I'll just say that we've all been there in one form or another.

Either way... Congrats on inheriting such a fine car and Welcome to the forum!

The best way for your to honor your uncle is by fixing the old gal up and keeping her on the road... I'm sure he'll be smiling down from the heavens for it!