: Leaking freon ***PICS***

ZaC851
05-27-08, 03:37 PM
Just other day I was checking my oil and notice my AC leaking like crazy right where the those 2 fittings screw together. I tighten it a small amount. It wasnt loose but I didnt want to strip the soft aluminum. Is there an Oring in there, or can I just buy a new line. Just have no idea what the line is called.. Looks like it may be running to the condenser on the front but it runs under the firewall on the other end.

http://zac851.googlepages.com/gghjjkjjhghgjk.jpg

cadillacroadside
05-27-08, 04:10 PM
that should be the fitting for the rear a/c lines

ZaC851
05-27-08, 05:25 PM
that should be the fitting for the rear a/c lines

So do i have to replace the whole line. Looks as if that line is "T'ed" off from the front AC line. I looked it up on GMPartsdirect.com but there is no illustration's for the rear lines.. so I hate to buy anything without being sure its the correct line.

http://www.trademotion.com/schematics/G/GC00140.gif

My line is splitting off Line #4.

Any GM workers on here that can look up a part number. if not, I guess I can just go to the caddy dealership and order it from there. Probably will want a arm and leg for it.

cadillacroadside
05-27-08, 05:30 PM
what year?

ZaC851
05-28-08, 01:11 AM
what year?

ewill3rd
05-28-08, 07:25 AM
You'll have to follow the line and see where it goes. I believe it goes down to the compressor and not too far in front of that is some kind of "Y".
It might be a bolt in part, but it should be coming from the compressor. That looks like a liquid line to the rear.

The only issue you might have is that they did a redesign on the plumbing a few years back and you might have to upgrade to the new design which means buying extra pipes.

I'd start by having the seal washer replaced on that fitting if you think it is really leaking.
Usually they don't fail unless someone has been messing with them. Has the system been serviced recently?
Is the cooling degrading?

ZaC851
05-28-08, 11:02 PM
You'll have to follow the line and see where it goes. I believe it goes down to the compressor and not too far in front of that is some kind of "Y".
It might be a bolt in part, but it should be coming from the compressor. That looks like a liquid line to the rear.

The only issue you might have is that they did a redesign on the plumbing a few years back and you might have to upgrade to the new design which means buying extra pipes.

I'd start by having the seal washer replaced on that fitting if you think it is really leaking.
Usually they don't fail unless someone has been messing with them. Has the system been serviced recently?
Is the cooling degrading?

Well I got it fixed. Tightening it didnt make it stop leaking...so I ended up loosening it up all the way thinking there would be a gasket in there...but there was nothing at all. So I then tighten it back down and put just a small amount of freon in it and it didnt leak. So I went ahead and put 42oz of freon....and its been holding fine all day...I guess It just wasnt seated in there straight, causing it to leak

ZaC851
05-29-08, 12:28 AM
no cooling has been fine but it just started. I did clean the engine bay less than one week ago and it wasnt leaking then. Maybe as i was wiping everything down I hit this just enough to cause the leak. Anyway, it drips about twice per second while the air is running.

ewill3rd
05-29-08, 08:05 AM
There was no seal on the fitting?
Did you install a seal?
I am suddenly confused.

cadillacroadside
05-29-08, 01:23 PM
i agree with ewill, the parts catalog shows a metal/rubber seal...ther absolutely has to be something there

ZaC851
05-29-08, 02:59 PM
There was no seal on the fitting?
Did you install a seal?
I am suddenly confused.

No didnt install a seal at all One side of the line was smaller than the other and fit inside the larger one and then tightened down.

i agree with ewill, the parts catalog shows a metal/rubber seal...ther absolutely has to be something there

What catalog did you look at. I could not find and pictures showing a diagram of a truck with rear air.

ewill3rd
05-29-08, 09:35 PM
It would have been hard to see, they are usually made like a flat washer with a rubber sealing ring.
It was probably there but you didn't notice it. If it wasn't there you'd have a big mess under the hood.