: 2002 Escalade ext steering and brake problems!

charolastra03
05-27-08, 02:25 PM
Ok... so this is the first Cadi I own, and just last night I was at the lake celebrating memorial day with my friends. As we were getting ready to go home, i started the truck and then found out that the brakes and steering wheel were locked, they weren't working. I checked the steering fluid, the brake fluid, and transmission fluids, and they were all good. I unppluged the battery and plugged it back in to see if that would do anything, but it only locked my Stereo system and now i have to get a passcode from Cadillac.

I was wondering if there was a Reset button, or something that would take care of my problem, i was thinking it had to be some kind of Antitheft feature. I read the whole owner's manual, but it doesn't mention anything about it!!!

I'm going to have to have my dealeship take care of the problem... but before that i would like to see if there is something i can do about it!!!

Any help would be awesome!!!

cadillacroadside
05-27-08, 04:11 PM
what do you mean locked up? a hard brake pedal and stiff steering???

charolastra03
05-27-08, 05:11 PM
I mean, the steering wheel does not turn, and the brakes do not work..... It's almost as if it was in neutral with the motor not running, only the motor is running!

cadillacroadside
05-27-08, 05:25 PM
the brake system on this vehicle relies on power steering pressure, the two systems are tied together, we see 2 different things on this, either low fluid or power steering pump failure (could be otherwise but this is what we normally see)

charolastra03
05-27-08, 05:54 PM
Low brake fluid, or steering fluid????

It sounds like it could be the pump failure.... If this is the problem, is it expensive to fix?

cadillacroadside
05-27-08, 06:01 PM
low power steering fluid or a bad p/s pump, not sure of the exact price, need to research that

Guyz1996deville
05-29-08, 02:04 PM
Check to see if your surpentine belt is on. You may have broke it or something. Since both systems are down.

charolastra03
05-30-08, 01:33 AM
Check to see if your surpentine belt is on. You may have broke it or something. Since both systems are down.

Yeap... that's what I heard from people that knows about this stuff.... I checked it at a glance, and the only belt I could see seemed to be working fine, unles there is another one that i couldn't see because it's not even on!!!

I haven't had a chance to check the truck, been very busy..... Will update about this when i get a chance... thanks for the help and tips anyways!!!

charolastra03
05-31-08, 04:52 AM
So here's an update about my problem!!! I checked all the fluids, all fluids seemed ok. Checked the serpentine belt, and belt is fine... although, when i started the truck this morning i could hear a squeaking sound, so i'm starting to think about the pulleys. If none of these is the problem, then i think it's going to be the worst one of all the mentioned! The pump problem.

Thanks for the help and tips, and I hope this update gives more Ideas about my problem.... I'm a 22 year old fool who don't even know anything about mechanics, but this thing has me really worried, and i'm trying to evade taking my truck to the shop!!!

charolastra03
06-04-08, 06:40 PM
Another Update!

My friend and I took a look at the serpentine belt, and then we jumped to the conclusion that a belt that has to do something with the air conditioning broke off!!! Do any of you guys know if this belt would cause the Brakes and steering wheel to not work?