: As seen on TV... POPS-A-DENT...

Playdrv4me
05-26-08, 07:03 PM
Anyone ever used this thing before? Someone swiped my XFire when I was parked on Street parking down in Ybor on Saturday and left a small area of very minor denting on my left rear wheel well. They look more like long horizontal door dings than anything else, and unfortunately part of it is on the body crease of the wheel well.

Anyway, I saw this popsadent thing at WalMart and figured I'd give it a shot since I could return it even completely used if I wanted to. So far I am almost all the way through one tube of gluestick (not sure if their gluestick is any different than any other gluestick, looks and smells the same to me) and have "popped" about 4 times with no large success. I just switched to the larger pad for the last two tries and it seems to stick better, but we'll see how it turns out. Even a slight improvement would be worthwhile to me since it's barely visible as it is.

The thing is a hot glue gun, a "bridge" with a hole through the middle, some screws with pads on the end (the flat pieces that you put the glue onto, and then stick to the car) and a "nut" that you tighten against the bridge and the screw and as you tighten it pulls the metal out and finally "pops" the pad off.

Anyone ever tried it or know any tips or tricks?

Jesda
05-26-08, 07:09 PM
Your XFire. It sounds like a handheld video game from Tiger.

http://www.omegacron.com/mighty_max/images/collectibles/handheld_tiger.jpg

I'm also curious since my brother's car has a mess of dents.

Playdrv4me
05-26-08, 07:17 PM
It would probably work better on larger uniform dents, than smaller disseminated ones, much like brain tumor removal oddly enough.

There's only one primary caveat... What is it? The paint must be the ORIGINAL FACTORY paint, or it will NOT work, as it will pull the paint right off (it's amazing that it doesnt pull the FACTORY paint off)... original paint ftw!

dkozloski
05-26-08, 07:19 PM
Tyr the dry-ice dent removal trick.

Playdrv4me
05-26-08, 07:20 PM

Oh shit that's RIGHT! Thanks DK I forgot *ALL* about that!!!

The Tony Show
05-26-08, 07:26 PM
The pop-a-dent things are great for small indentations that don't crease the sheetmetal, but from the sound of it that isn't what you've got. Creases are only fixable by a professional dent man working them from the inside- sorry.

RightTurn
05-26-08, 07:42 PM
A "professional dent man?" :lol:

dkozloski
05-26-08, 07:51 PM
Doctor of dents? Dent Doctor?

the cadillac kid
05-26-08, 08:27 PM

vat iz dees?

Jesda
05-26-08, 08:55 PM
vat iz dees?

http://www.wisebread.com/remove-car-dents-quickly-and-cheaply

Eric Kahn
05-26-08, 09:17 PM
I have to know, Where is Ybor????

Eric Kahn
05-26-08, 09:18 PM
I have to know, where is Ybor??

Night Wolf
05-26-08, 09:23 PM
Sounds like the same thing as the ding king, in which case, I have used it, and it worked well. On the '89 Brougham my mom hit a rock pulling out of a driveway sorta dented about a 6 inch section on the bottom of both passenger side doors.... the ding king actually pulled the dents out to be nearly flush with the sheetmetal.

Night Wolf
05-26-08, 09:24 PM
I have to know, Where is Ybor????

In Tampa.

Brizzal
05-26-08, 10:06 PM
i need to try some of these i literally have 9 small dents between my passenger front and back door. florida shoppers are pricks....

Playdrv4me
05-26-08, 10:43 PM
Like Night Wolf said... On larger dents I can see how it would work GREAT. There is plenty of pulling force for that kind of operation, however for very small dings or creases it's worthless, it just doesnt have sufficient precision or force to really pull the metal in that small of an increment. I used about 1 and and a half glue sticks and then just returned it, if it made a difference i cant really tell.

The Tony Show
05-27-08, 12:36 AM
A "professional dent man?" :lol:

Oh I'm sorry- Professional Dent Person. :sneaky:

www.dentwizard.com

They work wonders. Srsly.

the cadillac kid
05-27-08, 12:58 AM
http://www.wisebread.com/remove-car-dents-quickly-and-cheaply

VAT!?! zis is vewy goud!

~~

cant believe i wasted money on "dent king" last year... ended up paying the dealership 90 bucks (girlfriends car, not mine) to get the dent out... it was on a line on the hood. Returned the dent king & got the money back.

thanks jesda :highfive:

$5/month = so worth it :bouncy:

JC316
05-27-08, 02:51 AM
Pops a dent, what a joke. Quite simply, it doesn't work. I tried it on my 95 saturn with minor hail damage, I was not happy with the results, I spent half an hour just trying to get the damned glue residue off.

Jesda
05-27-08, 03:42 AM
Pops a dent, what a joke. Quite simply, it doesn't work. I tried it on my 95 saturn with minor hail damage, I was not happy with the results, I spent half an hour just trying to get the damned glue residue off.

Isnt that car plastic?