: 1996 Deville Trouble Codes--Help Me!

derekbroerse
05-25-08, 09:49 PM
Hi Guys,

Recently purchased my first Cadillac... a '96 Sedan Deville. Picked it up for a good price but already spent a small fortune fixing everything it needed to safety it... but the car still has a few quirks.

-traction and abs lights are on. Trac button in glove box does nothing
-Theft System Car May Not Restart message
-Service Ride Control message
-Service Emission System message (along with SES light, occasional stall out at idle, and a throttle locked closed that takes a good push to make move then it pops and goes fine again)
-Check Oil Level and Check Coolant Level messages. Oil is fine, coolant seems about 1 cup low every day (perhaps overflow? or maybe its eating it)

These problems prompted me to check the onboard diagnostics as listed in the Sticky and to my shock and dismay it came back with a whole slew of codes.... thankfully only 3 are current, the others history. The problem is I can't tell what to do with this style code, as they are listed on the site as what a Caddy will give but not what they mean.

Can anyone help? Here they are:

May 25/2008
1996 Cadillac Sedan DeVille Trouble Codes

PC0101 HISTORY
PC0603 HISTORY
PC1108 HISTORY
PC1406 HISTORY
PC1520 HISTORY
PC1599 HISTORY

IP1552 HISTORY
IP1910 HISTORY
IP2711 CURRENT

TC0061 CURRENT

RS0013 HISTORY
RS0038 CURRENT
RS0043 HISTORY
RS0060 HISTORY

IR1771 HISTORY

RF2560 HISTORY

Love the car, but really wondering what the heck I've gotten myself into!!!

Thanks in advance.
Derek

derekbroerse
05-25-08, 10:02 PM
I should also mention the car passed its safety and is running and driving well 99% of the time. It actually runs exceptionally well until that Service Emissions System message comes on. Theres obviously something to the Service Ride Control message, as to me the car feels somewhat unstable at highway speeds, even with new balljoints and tie rod end, fresh alignments front and rear, and new performance rubber on 18x8" wheels. I'm hoping its something simple I can fix at home. I purchased the GM manuals for the car on Ebay, but they won't be here until next week sometime.

krimson_cardnal
05-26-08, 12:18 AM
Clear all codes and see what persists. Search out the meaning of the codes you see re-occur [sticky has 'em all]. Take the time to get to understand your ride. What do you know of its history? The 96DeVille is one sweet ride IMHO, I love mine. FSM will help, you need to get acquainted with her, that's all. You found the place to be, welcome. Update your "User CP" profile to include the year and model of your ride and feel at home, help is here. K_C

chubbyranger
05-26-08, 08:16 AM
1996 is a tough year for codes as it was the first year of OBD-II. Forum and google search took 1/2 hour to come up with:

IP2711 = PASS-KEY open/shorted key pellet before good key.
TC61 Pump Motor or Pump Motor Circuit Fault (AntiLock Brakes and Traction Control System)
RS-0038: ELC exhaust valve short to ground/open circuit

IMO coolant use is what you should get a handle on first - if you have HG problems everything else is incidental. Have the coolant tested for exhaust gasses.

derekbroerse
05-26-08, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the reply. I too found google a little useless on these codes. I'm hoping they will be in the manuals I ordered.

How do I test for exhaust gasses in the coolant? I've never heard of such a thing around here. I'm not even sure I'm using any coolant, I need to monitor it over the next few days and not add any, the amount I'm adding is so small it might just be expansion and overflow.... possibly a wacky sensor (same with oil, the level is always up) I'm surprised with all the info that there isn't an oil pressure guage on the car!

I have also already tried the key-cleaning someone told me about... no improvement. They tell me the wires in the column could be coming apart and to bypass them at the connector with resistors.

derekbroerse
05-26-08, 03:27 PM
Local Cadillac dealer can perform the test, says they add something to the coolant and its color coded.... $90

Any way I can do this at home?

krimson_cardnal
05-26-08, 04:06 PM
Coolant test kit. CLICK (http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/LIS-75500.html) Lisle 75500. New model has pump to draw coolant vapors through the test liquid. K_C