: 05 STS V8 pcm reprogramming?

jgeorger
05-24-08, 10:10 PM
I just got an 05 STS V8 a couple weeks ago. I would love to reprogram the pcm. Is there anything on the horizon for this car? (I have extensive experience with my 96 Trans Am). I contacted hptuners earlier this week and they've got nothing (they do support the 07-08 STS w/Northstar.

Thanks,
Joe

CadillacSTS42005
05-24-08, 10:21 PM
nope
nata available yet

AJxtcman
05-25-08, 09:12 AM
I just got an 05 STS V8 a couple weeks ago. I would love to reprogram the pcm. Is there anything on the horizon for this car? (I have extensive experience with my 96 Trans Am). I contacted hptuners earlier this week and they've got nothing (they do support the 07-08 STS w/Northstar.

Thanks,
Joe

I can do it, but I have no time until I get moved to Charlotte :crying2:

jgeorger
05-25-08, 09:53 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of a diy package running on a laptop like LT1/LS1-Edit, hptuners, tunercat, etc. I'd like to take my car to a dyno and tune the WOT, since GM is always conservative (rich) with the WOT fueling. Not to mention leaning it out might save me a few nickels on gas since my car spends a lot of time in power enrichment mode <grin>.

I did read about 2% of the monster tuning thread in this forum, and saw that you were working on a "package" to be released. Did that ever come to fruition?

Thanks,
Joe

CadillacSTS42005
05-25-08, 11:37 AM
oh yea it did
and my STS bears that fruit right now
AJ is a man of his word and believe me its worth it

AJxtcman
05-25-08, 12:26 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of a diy package running on a laptop like LT1/LS1-Edit, hptuners, tunercat, etc. I'd like to take my car to a dyno and tune the WOT, since GM is always conservative (rich) with the WOT fueling. Not to mention leaning it out might save me a few nickels on gas since my car spends a lot of time in power enrichment mode <grin>.

I did read about 2% of the monster tuning thread in this forum, and saw that you were working on a "package" to be released. Did that ever come to fruition?

Thanks,
Joe

Do you have a ball park number you would pay?

I would think $500 would get you a Def file. You would need a cable @ $200 and then you need the actual software to run the Def file. Not sure on that price. I bet all said and done $1200 to $3000

jgeorger
05-25-08, 08:30 PM
I paid $400 for Tunercat (now owned by Jet) for the cable, def file, and software. LT1/LS1-Edit and HPTuners go for $500 for the same.

I would be willing to do that. Much more and it's just not worth it for me.

But, just to be clear, by def file you mean the hex offset into the pcm file of the various tables, etc? I'm a software developer by trade, some embedded work, so editing a pcm file in hex wouldn't bother me.

Are all cables created equal, and where can you buy one separately? I know the OBD-II cables have some kind of microprocessor in the dongle that converts from aldl to rs-232/usb. Same question for the utility to flash/download the pcm image?

Thanks,
Joe

AJxtcman
05-25-08, 08:37 PM
I paid $400 for Tunercat (now owned by Jet) for the cable, def file, and software. LT1/LS1-Edit and HPTuners go for $500 for the same.

I would be willing to do that. Much more and it's just not worth it for me.

But, just to be clear, by def file you mean the hex offset into the pcm file of the various tables, etc? I'm a software developer by trade, some embedded work, so editing a pcm file in hex wouldn't bother me.

Are all cables created equal, and where can you buy one separately? I know the OBD-II cables have some kind of microprocessor in the dongle that converts from aldl to rs-232/usb. Same question for the utility to flash/download the pcm image?

Thanks,
Joe
Come over and see CalEditor and learn
You Need to register and contact me