: AGE ? Tell me

Sandy
05-24-08, 09:25 PM
Maybe I have an age fetish:histeric:

Okay, here's the long & the short of it all.....

I am trim, not heavy. I have 85% of the hair that I had at age 28. None of it is grey and no bald "spots". I walk for exercise. I quit smoking 18 months ago, cold turkey, BTW. I eat healthy, 75% of the time.
Facial wrinkles... I have NONE ~ NONE !!!

I have no blue popping out veins in legs, feet or hands.

Only wear glasses to read.

I feel good.

But I am age 61. I feel mentally old. I love the rock & roll of the 60s, the old cars, the old way of doing stuff. I generally do not use bad language, that I hear so much of from the under 30 set.

I consider other people's rights. I treat others fairly.

What the heck am I ?? Am I old ? Am I young ? Am I neither ?

I don't fit in with other 61+ people, who only talk ailments, doctors, pills, medicines, treatments, diets, failing this & that.

I'd rather talk hot rods, drag racing and stock market.

I can't figure myslef out. Am I old or young, or some of both ? HELP:hmm:

I am more comfortable with the 30 year olds, than the 65 year olds, who typically look like they might be MY parents !!

I am making myself crazy over this.... Any advice ? Thoughts ?

ejguillot
05-24-08, 10:15 PM
Sandy,

It's great that you feel considerably younger than your age!

Hang out with the 30 year olds, open up to some newer music (there's some good stuff mixed in with all the trash) and expose them to some of the good older stuff. And you might consider pulling them aside one on one and tell them that swearing less will make them sound smarter.

Hey, I'm in my 30's and can appreciate the cars of the 60's!

Submariner409
05-24-08, 10:19 PM
Hang in there-----The hair loss comes from too many U-turns under the sheets.......:rolleyes:

Sandy
05-24-08, 11:00 PM
"The hair loss comes from too many U-turns under the sheets."

What I figured !! But, I have very little hair loss. I guess not enough "U-Turns" :)

dkozloski
05-24-08, 11:05 PM
Hang in there-----The hair loss comes from too many U-turns under the sheets.......:rolleyes:
I thought sheep herders made "U's" turn.

Sandy
05-24-08, 11:08 PM
Eiguillet- What's missing now, is that back in the 60s it was all about emotions, fun, wind in your hair, new car smell, live life to the fullest, attracting women, s style, style style style and more style.

Today? The fun is gone.
It's about low payments, gas mileage, consumers reports, frequency of repair, time payments, cash down, warantee, where to buy? - best place to get a loan, and so forth....For way too many, the thrill is gone. It's akin to buying a loaf of bread. i.e. do I have a coupon? What brand on the coupon? How fresh is it? What is the expiration date? How many slices in the loaf ?

By the time you find out all that, youdon't want the damn bread any longer
>>> lijke a car <<< :bonkers:

Sandy
05-24-08, 11:15 PM
NO >>>>> Sheep herders go AROUND the BLOCK :2thumbs:

77CDV
05-24-08, 11:55 PM
Sandy,

You know the saying "you're only as old as you feel"?

It's true.

Now go out, put the top down, crank some tunes, and burn some rubber.

Craig

orconn
05-24-08, 11:59 PM
Yeh, Sandy, back in the sixties their were a lot of no brainers ........... unsophisticated cars for the masses, unaffordable to most of the young people (yeah, you actually had to qualify for credit in those days!), for the first half of the decade there were no birth control pills and sex without marriage was a big taboo, seatbelts were thought to be for wimps and damn the government for making them put them in cars, the music was simple too (folk rock) until acid rock came on the scene and gee we could get stoned out of our minds instead of just drunk on our ass, and ofcourse the really great "good time" of the decade was Vietnam and the Draft to help you make up your mind what you wanted to do with the rest of your life!

Our African American brothers were really enjoying segregation too as the civil rights movement began to yield at least equality under the law ......... some of the time. The South reeled to overcome its' overt form of racial discrimination while the North smugly held to it's own incidious not so covert form of racial and ethnic descrimination.

I congratulate you on your well preserved exterior .......... but if you remember only the "fun" of the Sixties, I wonder in what condition your memory must be in to have forgotten the downside of the era.

I also was around in the Sixties and I enjoy the company of intelligent people of all ages regardless of their skin color or texture (smooth or rinkled), bald or hoary, white collar or blue, car people and those who are fascinated with other facets of life. I have found all age groups have there insights and shutting myself off from my own age group for the exclusivity of another generation would deprive me of all the stimulation and new found knowledge a wide variety of friends and acquaintances brings to my life.

AMGoff
05-25-08, 12:42 AM
Sandy... age is a state of mind and beyond that, nothing but a man-made concept. Humans like to put labels on things... and age is just another example of it. The only people who get "old" are those who let themselves get old - a perfect example is my Dad and my Uncle (in-law)... They're both 64... my Uncle has snow-white hair and a beard with a nice little bald spot out back, he has various medical ailments and he always complains about them and lets them get to him, he worries about too many things - money, family issues, the way the world's going etc., and he only really hangs out with people his age or older (usually sitting down at the Vets drinking scotch with all the 70-80 year olds) - He acts like an old man so frankly, he is an old man.

My Dad on the other hand... is actually a lot like you... he's still got all his hair and while a little bit grayer, it's still the same "salt and pepper" color he's always had. He has his fair share of ailments (He had bypass surgery about 5 years ago), but he never complains about them and never lets them get to him. My Dad is possibly the most laid-back person ever to walk this earth... he doesn't let anything worry him, no matter what it is he'll always have the same response - "It'll be fine..." While he doesn't "live it up" as much as he used to, he'll still go out to the bar, shoot pool, and "shoot the shit" with guys my age until 1-2:00am in the morning... hell, he can "hang" longer than I can! (then again, he can sleep 'til noon whenever he likes!). He still drinks his glass of Miller High-Life and he still has a pack of Winstons out in his truck (though he has cut back a lot in recent years)... He doesn't really have any wrinkles and he's still in fairly decent shape (6' and 190~ lbs), no one ever guesses that he's as old as he is... most people usually peg him around 50. Whenever I'm out with him and my two brothers... the only time anyone ever thinks that he's our dad is when he has his beard in the winter... otherwise, they think he's just our older brother or something. He doesn't act like he's old... so he isn't old.

So there you go... two men - same age, similar backgrounds... yet two different types of personality - and it makes a world of difference.

Submariner409
05-25-08, 12:52 AM
orconn, from your post #9 it is truly saddening that you had such a traumatic, deprived childhood. You present yourself exactly as a politically correct mass production human clone.

EVERY generation has its fun and pain. Some did it on 23 cent gas, some did it on $1.13 gas, $1.99 gas, and so on. It wasn't easy for Grampaw or Mom. One can dredge up positives and negatives in every tick of history's clock.

Your first paragraph is absolute, uneducated gibberish. (Unsophisticated cars for the masses ? Volkswagen and BelAir ??) I guess you bought a Bentley......and we should give everyone birth control pills and screw our brains out.........?

Your second paragraph is an attempt at rehashed political crap. At what point in time do you begin considering a mud-hut Iranian as your "brother" ? When it's legislated ? Hardly. Legislation and halfassed lawmaking as far as race and gender are concerned has probably created more pain, animosity, and suffering than natural progression. "The masses" choose their own friends and associates; politicians force you to.

You need to grow up, not Sandy. (Rant over)

Destroyer
05-25-08, 12:55 AM
I see exactly where you are coming from Sandy. Often I just wonder where all the years went. One minute I'm a 17 year old kid having the time of his life with racing cars, chasing every skirt I see and hangin with friends and the next I'm a 36 year old dude with kids and not much of a social life, bills stacked high and massive responsibilities. Like you, my mentality is at a much younger mindset. I know what you are saying about hangin with people your age, most of them talk only about illnesses, doctors or their ugly grandkids........f**k that. You are me in 25 years and maybe thats a good thing. Despite our bodies growing old, we never will.

FastCTS
05-25-08, 01:15 AM
Sandy,
You know who has the answers for you, go look in the mirror. Remember Ricky Nelson's song "Garden Party," You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself.
Do what works FOR YOU, you paid your dues. I got older but I refuse to grow up. I'm serious when I have to be, other then that I do what I want.
My girlfriend tries to get me to eat different foods and listen to other types of music. I tell her, if I didn't eat it or listen to it in the 50's and 60's I'm not doing it now. :cool2:

AMGoff
05-25-08, 01:32 AM
Yeh, Sandy, back in the sixties their were a lot of no brainers ...........

Seriously... because it's so much better to sit and bitterly dwell on all of the negative aspects of a certain era - it just makes any hopeful promise for the future so much better... :rolleyes: :hmm: :nono:

Sandy
05-26-08, 01:15 AM
AM Goff and Destroyer, I thank you both for your very thoughtful and and introspective replies.
Basically it's mentally confusing - sorta kinda like a double headed arrow - when a man looks 10 to 15 years younger than his real age, and feels more comfortable in the company of that 10-15 year younger counterpart, but he can see that they are more uncomfortable around him, than he is around them, but he tends to shun the 60-70 year olds, because they are very negitive, perhaps rightly so, as many of them are sadly in pain or are suffering some serious health problems. Hard to be happy under many extremely trying circumstances. (THAT battle I AM winning!)
I have been very very very sick. I know, you'd never know. I don't talk of it. Nobody wants to hear others problems, as we all have our own. I could talk about my sickness all day long. But....Why ? I hope to get well. I think I will, and so does my doctor. I also might die .... tomorrow !! So be it. I am packed & ready to go. In the meantime ... I will just hang out, here on earth, enjoy my cars, wife & son. (Oops, I think I put that in the wrong order.... :rolleyes: Again, THANKS !

Sandy

DopeStar 156
05-26-08, 01:01 PM
When did someone come along and dictate you had to go off with those your own chronological age? You chilled with me didn't you some three years ago? Had fun, no?

There are planty of NJ people on here and meets pop up every once in a while. Head out to some if you feel up to it, I know I gotta get my ass to a few this summer.......

77CDV
05-27-08, 02:25 AM
^the man speaks wisdom

dkozloski
05-27-08, 03:37 AM
I have never figured age in as criteria for friendship. I have no set specifications for the people I wish to associate with. It sounds kind of dumb to me. I'm ready to talk to anybody. You never know what somebody's story might be and you can learn something from anybody.

Sandy
05-27-08, 10:33 AM
Oh, no, DopeStar and Dkozloski - I agree with you both.

THE problem is me. Not you. Yes, Dopestar we had fun.
But, this crazyness had not yet come over me.
It began last year, when I began losing my hair.
Thinning hair tends to scream "OLD" and in the
society we all live in "old" is not a positive.

Look at TV. How many commercials do ya see featuring oldsters?
Just pain relief, constipation relief, joint pain relief, etc.

Ever see a guy with thinning hair, a couple of beginning facial
wrinkles pitching Pepsi? Sony? Bud Light? Coors? Course not.
Actually, I think it is the advertising that we all are bombarded with
that sets the stage for how we feel about ourselves.

On another note... I was at THAT car show last week that we met at
in Millburn, Doprstar. The rains ended it early (3 OPM) but really fabulous cars. I didn't show anything as I knew by 3PM we'd get heavy rain.
But, the turnout was excellent.
My wife had her pocketbook pickpocketed there !! What they stole ?
MY eyeglasses in their case, that looks sorta kinda like a wallet.
There were 2 outstanding Fleetwoods there. a 1976 (final of that design) in a neat Grey-Gold color and a flawless 1966 Brougham, black-on-black with cloth interior in blue.

orconn
05-27-08, 12:17 PM
I have never figured age in as criteria for friendship. I have no set specifications for the people I wish to associate with. It sounds kind of dumb to me. I'm ready to talk to anybody. You never know what somebody's story might be and you can learn something from anybody.

Dkoz, I couldn't agree more!

dkozloski
05-27-08, 01:06 PM
Don't worry Sandy. With age comes wisdom. At present you are still under the influence of youthful delusions.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-27-08, 01:15 PM
Going by your posts Sandy, you don't act like a 61 year old, you seem much younger, much more vivid and youthful. You're probably the coolest 61 year old I've (never) met.

dkozloski
05-27-08, 01:32 PM
It's called a midlife crisis. He'll get over it. That AARP stuff he gets in the mail is bugging him.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-27-08, 01:36 PM
My dad is starting to get some AARP stuff in the mail, and he's only 50.

EcSTSatic
05-27-08, 05:23 PM
My dad is starting to get some AARP stuff in the mail, and he's only 50.

50 is the earliest age eligibility. The CIO of AARP spoke at an IT sourcing conference I attended last week in DC. AARP is not an acronym any more, it's just "AARP". I think it's a PR move for us old farts that are resisting the age thing. It could be similar to KFC downplaying the fried chicken image to keep the weight watching customers.

dkozloski
05-27-08, 06:14 PM
American Association of Retarded People.

Sandy
05-27-08, 06:34 PM
When I turned 54 I began getting stuff fro AARP. I marked on it "UNKNOWN AT THIS ADDRESS and sent it back to them. Tookabout 90 days, but it stopped coming.:thumbsup:
Oh well.... I am gonna beat this obsession of age. I quit smoking cold turkey 2 years ago, and never ever cheated. This should be a bit easier.
Alot has to to do with Television and what is constanly fed to us, therein.
Note to Sandy: 4-get to look at TV :thehand:

hueterm
05-27-08, 07:13 PM

The easiest way to solve that problem is to just not watch commercials. Get a DVR, wait until 20 minutes into an hour long show, and then skip away to your heart's content.

In that 20 minutes, you could use an exercise bike or treadmill, get a load of laundry going, get a load of dishes into the dishwasher, whatever -- instead of watching a bunch of commercials. Any of the good commercials out there, you can see on YouTube.

Destroyer
05-28-08, 08:06 AM

Depends :eek:

Sandy
05-28-08, 08:30 AM
Oh God! What a fantastic pun !! DEPENDS !!! Good one !

tenmark
05-28-08, 01:43 PM
Good for you! My dad's 67 and feels pretty much the same way you do.. Most of his friend's wore themselves out and look pretty tough as a result. He can easily pass for his early 50's and prides himself on being in better shape than most kids in their 30s.

Stay off the drugs and don't wear yourself out - that's his advice.

You're only as young as you feel - and if the typical old bogey conversations among your peers gets you down, make younger friends. I've known plenty of guys who do that - It'll really pick you up.

Sandy
05-28-08, 04:24 PM
I never (even once) smoked pot, my thing was cigarettes! Smoked them for a good 22 years. Then I went to a hypnotist. He was pretty cleaver & for me..... go figure ..... it worked. Under his trance he told me that I could smoke cigarettes, BUT that I could only smoke two brands, and they had to be two brands and only those two brands !!
Brand # 1 was called "SPRING" and brand #2 was called "TALL". Now, these were REAL honest to goodness brands, but were nearly impossible to find. I recall one day, driving around and stopping at like 20 little privately owned family stores until I found one with SPRING. They had 2 left. I bought both. Later I found out that A & P supermarkets had TALL cigarettes. I bought a carton. It lasted me a month. So, I was then down to 6 or 7 a day. Then, the unthinkable!! They took TALL off the market !! HORRORS
Back spending any free time cruising for SPRING. Finally I realized I was a dummy and I made up mind to do it & I did. No More smoking. That was 2 years & 5 months ago. That hypnotist was very good ! Crazy good.
Been on diet, too. Lost 63 pounds. Now at an even 200. (5 foot 10)

DopeStar 156
05-29-08, 11:58 PM
Oh, no, DopeStar and Dkozloski - I agree with you both.

THE problem is me. Not you. Yes, Dopestar we had fun.
But, this crazyness had not yet come over me.
It began last year, when I began losing my hair.
Thinning hair tends to scream "OLD" and in the
society we all live in "old" is not a positive.

On another note... I was at THAT car show last week that we met at
in Millburn, Doprstar. The rains ended it early (3 OPM) but really fabulous cars. I didn't show anything as I knew by 3PM we'd get heavy rain.
But, the turnout was excellent.
My wife had her pocketbook pickpocketed there !! What they stole ?
MY eyeglasses in their case, that looks sorta kinda like a wallet.
There were 2 outstanding Fleetwoods there. a 1976 (final of that design) in a neat Grey-Gold color and a flawless 1966 Brougham, black-on-black with cloth interior in blue.

That show gets rained out every year! Unfortunately I couldn't make it this year because just didn't have the time to get the car ready. Plus I had a slew of mechanical issues to deal with. Hopefully I get the car into at least one show this summer.......

I think that's kinda funny they stole your glasses, imagine the "Ahh ****!" that dropped when they checked what they grabbed. Haha!

I'm sure getting old feels crappy but I've got a plan for when I get there. I'll continue to grow out whatever hair I'll have left so it's long and white and I'll wear a black cape all the time. Thatway when the kids go past my house with the wrought iron fence and the stone gargoyles they'll pick up their pace until they get to the next block. Bwahahaha! :lildevil:

77CDV
05-31-08, 01:20 AM
Careful with that. Someone will claim you have dementia and shove pills down your throat, for your own good of course.

dkozloski
05-31-08, 01:55 AM
Everybody worries about age except old people. Forget the crap and just live your life to the fullest. Worry about something you can change.

Sandy
05-31-08, 07:11 AM
My God, if I didn't know better, i'd bet some serious money that you had been talking with my Mom! But, she passed away in 1995l These were her copyrighted words!!!
"Everybody worries about age except old people. Forget the crap and just live your life to the fullest. Worry about something you can change."

How creepy is / was that !! Words from Heaven !

Okay. It's done. I am NOT going to spend any more mental time on it.

Yesterday in the mail I got an advertisment from a hearing aid company AND a cemetery wanting to sell me a plot. See? see what I mean.....?

In the past month I have gotten ads for canes & walkers, hearing aids, triple thick adult diapers, cemetery plots, and flyers from lawyers who specialize in last wills & Testaments, and nursing homes. All in 4 weeks !

While in reality, I walked a mile at a car show, washed my son's car, and 3 of my cars, and my wife's car. Went out to eat a couple times, cut the grass, and supermarket shopped.

c5 rv
06-01-08, 11:21 PM
Sandy, you remind me of my dad. He retired at age 58 from GM and had a busy, enjoyable, 30 years beyond that:

- Until age 80, he worked as a handyman around his retirement community in Palm Springs, CA. He did electrical, A/C, swamp coolers, etc. He never accepted any money for labor, only for parts - at cost. He never had to plant a fruit tree because he always had as much as he wanted.

- Dad loved sail and powerboats when he was younger. (That's why I thought he was nuts to retire to winters in the desert - especially since he hated golf.) At age 81 he bought a high-performance trimaran sailboat and trailered it up and down the west coast. He loved sailing it on Lake Tahoe, where he spent summers. His girlfriend went out sailing with him once. Never again. I still remember the excitement in his voice when he called to tell me about a new hull wax he found.

- Dad said he would be able to tell when he was getting old because he wouldn't be able to dive into the deep end of the pool and swim the length of the pool underwater. At 85 he had surgery for a detached retina and the ophthalmologist said no more swimming underwater. That was one of the only doctors he ever listened to.

My wife and I, on the other hand, are about 10 years younger than you and have sorta had to embrace the age/disability thing. She has a brain injury and I have ongoing problems from a ladder fall. We've both put on weight over the years and have gray hair. She uses a wheelchair, a hoyer lift, a power bed, and depends. I regularly use a cane. My new car choices are governed by ease of entry/exit and ability to carry a wheelchair. We go out to dinner at 4:00 PM at places like Bob Evans. When the early movie on TCM ends at 8:00 PM, I help her get ready for bed. We still enjoy ourselves. I know my wife will be thrilled when I get our new Allante home from the shop and I can take her out to Dairy Queen with the top down.

RightTurn
06-01-08, 11:24 PM
C5 rv--you are the voice of reason. Blessings to you and your sweet wife.

dkozloski
06-01-08, 11:50 PM
I've outlived everybody in my family. Nobody ever lived long enough to retire exept my mom. She retired early from teaching school with medical problems and died soon after. I'm the last of the Mohicans. I never expected to see the year 2000. Every day I wake up I feel it's a bonus. If I died tomorrow I'd feel I'd got my money's worth. I just had a checkup by my GP and was pronounced to be in good health. I've had a heart atack from which I fully recovered 9 years ago. I can perform just about any physical activity I want to. The last couple of days it's been pick, shovel, and wheel barrow work. I celebrate every new day I see. Life is good.

Sandy
06-02-08, 10:17 AM
C5rv, you're a great husband. I admire your character !

You, too, dkozloski - We 3 are good people.

DopeStar 156
06-02-08, 11:31 AM
I was with my dad for most of yesterday helping him take care of some shit around the yard and I noticed that he's starting to look aged and it depressed me. He's only 48 but it still got me down......

EcSTSatic
06-02-08, 11:45 AM
I was with my dad for most of yesterday helping him take care of some shit around the yard and I noticed that he's starting to look aged and it depressed me. He's only 48 but it still got me down......

Kids will do that :duck:
Does he get any exercise? Sometimes just going for a walk is all it takes to get you interested in doing more. I'm 53 so I speak from his generation.