: Problem with my iPod not charging up correctly. iPod gurus look here.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-24-08, 02:22 PM
So for the most part, my 30gb iPod classic has been completely trouble free. I bought it in November of '06 and it's been just a pleasure to have since then. Now when I bought the new car last August, I bought a iPod adapter for the radio that would play my iPod through my radio, and charge up the iPod as long as it was connected. And after buying that and using it very frequently, the iPod was almost always fully charged, but not lately. In the last few days, it's been on the verge of a dead battery almost all of the time that it's not on the charger.

For example, if I plug it in and listen to it on the way to and from work (9 miles each way), I'll get home and the battery usually shows between 1/3 and 1/2 life left, but then I'll go for a 20-30 minute jog and by the time I get home, the battery's life is almost completely depleted. This is definitely not normal.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? What would remedy it? Would a good long drive with it on the charger fix this?

CadillacSTS42005
05-24-08, 02:25 PM
have you tried charging it with your computer?
if it charges fully then id say you have a faulty car charger
if both fail to fully charge it youve got a dying battery...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-24-08, 02:36 PM
I could try it with the computer, but then I've gotta let it sit for around 2-3 hours for a full charge.

CadillacSTS42005
05-24-08, 03:21 PM
id try that 1st before throwing money at it

AMGoff
05-24-08, 03:52 PM
You're going to need to recondition the battery... no battery fairs well when it's constantly on charge. Run it down until it's completely dead... and I mean completely... play it until it shuts off and then let it sit for a day. Then plug it into either your computer or to an AC outlet and charge it to 100% then repeat the last step and run it down to dead again... Then charge it up to full again.

After that, if it seems like you're getting better times from it, only charge it inside - Not in the car.. just bring it in overnight and charge it.. and only do that when it's just about dead.

If it's still giving you trouble, you very well may have shot the battery, in which case you'd need a new one... There are sites/services online which you can send it to and they'll replace the battery for you... Or if you're confident enough in your own abilities, there are tutorials online which will show you how to properly open your iPod and you can change the battery yourself for only the cost of the battery.

Playdrv4me
05-25-08, 01:50 AM
I'm pretty sure your battery is shot. Known issue with the ipods, and especially when they sit on a charger all the time. Amazingly my old 1GB Nano which I ALWAYS used in the car still holds near perfect charge, but go figure the scroll pad died on it and then I broke the ribbon cable connector attempting to fix it, so its just a fancy memory stick now.

Since I don't use my ipods on battery almost EVER, I really don't care, but if I did, I would not keep them on chargers all the time as like Adam said, it just FRIES the battery.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-25-08, 01:50 PM
Maybe I'll take a trip down to the Apple Store in the Mall Of America today and see what a new battery would run me.

I've got it plugged into the computer now, and on the iPod it says "Please wait, very low battery".

AMGoff
05-25-08, 02:44 PM
Maybe I'll take a trip down to the Apple Store in the Mall Of America today and see what a new battery would run me.

I've got it plugged into the computer now, and on the iPod it says "Please wait, very low battery".

NOOOOOO!

As much as I like the company, if you take it to Apple they're basically going to make you bend over and take it up the rear-end...

If you seriously want the battery replaced... Go to http://www.iResQ.com... it'll cost you $24 to get the battery and do it yourself or only $54 for them to do a full service repair where they send you a shipping container... you send it to them, they replace the battery and ship it back.

Apple will try to charge you a heck of a lot more than that... They do it to make you consider just buying a new one.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-25-08, 03:52 PM
I've had it on the charger for the last two hours and it's still not fully charged. :bigroll:

CadillacGurl
05-25-08, 10:44 PM
Yeah I had a mini iPod and it started losing its charge 6 months ago... every time I would charge it then turn it on, it would be dead. I gave up and then Jason bought me an iPod Touch for my birthday.

CadillacSTS42005
05-25-08, 11:00 PM
Chad
if you dont trust your skills
if you buy the batter and mail your ipod to me
i can install the battery and return it to ya
ive opened up mine many times

Krashed989
05-25-08, 11:18 PM
I changed the battery in mine also... It's not as hard as it sounds.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-26-08, 01:14 PM
Fully charged yesterday afternoon, nearly dead this morning. Yeah, the battery is shot. :bigroll:

Playdrv4me
05-26-08, 07:54 PM
If youre not super concerned with the finish on the ipod then you should be ok to (carefully) do it yourself the first time, however if any little scratch will upset you then you might want to send it to Jason to have him do it since he's done it before. I got away fairly damage free with my Nano which was the first time I ever opened an ipod, but it still had a little place on the botton where some of the plastic had broken just a tiny bit.

AMGoff
05-26-08, 10:20 PM
Just make sure that whatever you do... don't take it to Apple. Like I said, they're going to rip you off on the repair... it'll be so much that you'll consider just buying a new one (which is what they want). Either buy the battery and send it to Jason or send it to a service, like the site I gave you... it'll only be $24 for the battery, or $54 for them to replace it for you.

In all honesty though... there's really no reason why you can't just replace it yourself. Again, there are plenty of step-by-step tutorials with pictures on the web to walk you through it.

gary88
05-26-08, 10:27 PM
That's how I lost my first iPod: death by overcharging. I had the iPod photo at the time (big deal when it first came out), and just said to heck with it and upgraded to the iPod video.

The classic that's for sale now is a pretty good deal actually, 80GB for $250.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-26-08, 11:01 PM
But you see here now, here's the hard part. How do I play the iPod in the car without overcharging it?

gary88
05-26-08, 11:15 PM
But you see here now, here's the hard part. How do I play the iPod in the car without overcharging it?

Tape adapter. Greatest thing ever.

CadillacSTS42005
05-26-08, 11:21 PM
lol
if like loads of static lol
play it listen to it when it gets dead then charge it dont leave it on charge all the time

Playdrv4me
05-26-08, 11:46 PM
lol
if like loads of static lol
play it listen to it when it gets dead then charge it dont leave it on charge all the time

Exactly, I know the ol' Benz in that generation still used a cassette deck up front so just use the ipod til it dies then charge it again, that is exactly the kind of use batteries like.

CadillacSTS42005
05-26-08, 11:49 PM
he could interface it some way into that Benz via an aux input
i know they had a cell phone package with that kinda high end car
therefore theres gotta be an audio input
juz gotta hack it

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-26-08, 11:50 PM
But if it's plugged into the car, through the A/C adapter to play through the radio, it's charging up automatically. It uses the cigarette lighter to power the device that plays the iPod through the stereo, while it charges up the iPod in the meantime. So I've either got an iPod that I can play through my stereo and enjoy in the car, or I've got FM radio, commercials, crappy music and all.

AMGoff
05-26-08, 11:59 PM

If you don't want to ever use it anywhere but your car, then you can just leave it on there all of the time. Otherwise, try to only leave it plugged into it when you're actually driving and want to listen to it... and then just make sure to unplug it.

Also, like Gary said... you might want to try an adapter that doesn't charge the ipod at the same time.

Anyway... if you don't feel like getting it repaired, the last time I checked into it they used to make an external battery pack that plugged into the bottom that was used to just give extended play time after one would run out of juice on the internal battery... They probably still make something like that. That way you could just continue to keep it plugged into your car like you have and then just pop the pack on when you want to listen outside of the car.... Just a thought.

CadillacSTS42005
05-26-08, 11:59 PM
then get the cassette version

gary88
05-27-08, 12:01 AM
Tape adapter FTW, srlsy. Just turn the iPod brightness down all the way, and you'll be good for at least a week of battery. Plus the adapter only costs like $10.

Playdrv4me
05-27-08, 12:35 AM
But if it's plugged into the car, through the A/C adapter to play through the radio, it's charging up automatically. It uses the cigarette lighter to power the device that plays the iPod through the stereo, while it charges up the iPod in the meantime. So I've either got an iPod that I can play through my stereo and enjoy in the car, or I've got FM radio, commercials, crappy music and all.

So you've been playing it through the radio?!!

How many times have you heard me blast FM transmitters on here? There is no way that your FM transmitter device is going to be BETTER than a cassette adapter, which for me is more than sufficient. If you don't believe me, I just spent 200.00 on the RARE FACTORY Cassette deck for my 745 JUST so I can have the EASIEST way to get ipod sound into it. Usually you have to spend 600 bucks for a MOST interface adapter (fiber optic) or have someone hack your FM Tuner module by soldering in some leads which can be very tricky.

Cassette adapter solves all problems. It keeps you from overcharging because the only thing youll have connected is the Cassette adapter, and WHEN and IF you run out of juice, you can pop it back on the FM transmitter cradle and use that only for the purpose of charging in the car, or just get a dedicated car charing cable.

AMGoff
05-27-08, 01:19 AM
Ian... I thought BMW's came with iPod connectors... didn't they make a big stink about it a few years back for being the first manufacturer to offer iPod integration??

Playdrv4me
05-27-08, 01:45 AM
Ian... I thought BMW's came with iPod connectors... didn't they make a big stink about it a few years back for being the first manufacturer to offer iPod integration??

Yup, unfortunately that is for "3/2005" production and beyond, but after that "MOST" every BMW with MOST data can take advantage of it (like my little play on words there).

This 7 series has been the first BMW I've ever owned that has put up so many roadblocks to the things I want to do it. They are usually EXTREMELY forgiving cars. I fabbed up a VERY low tech Subwoofer solution for my 2003 Range Rover (just a hopped up X5 really) a while back for example, which involved UNPLUGGING the factory Subwoofer connector, going online and checking the DSP Sound System pinouts to the sub, and literally just splicing in positive and negative leads to my aftermarket Alpine 10 inch sub. It sounded FANSTASTIC and cost me ZERO dollars.

Ive ALWAYS been able to do stuff like that with BMWs, but this 7 is a completely different story. Fortunately the ipod/aux integration and Bluetooth are the only things I really want to do to it. For the bluetooth ironically enough, a much simpler solution exists called the "BLUETOOTH UPGRADE MODULE" or BTUM-8/9. BTUM8 is for if you have the CPT8000 "Startac" phone from the factory, and the BTUM9 is for those whose cars came with the "Vader" V60 style or as it's otherwise known "CPT9000" phone. You just plug in the BTUM8 or 9 in place of the phone, and it converts you over to FULL bluetooth compatibility. Costs about 250 buks for that little doodad.