: 56 Plymouth Savoy

rulds2
06-01-04, 11:40 PM
I'm new to this forum...and think I have a non-cadillac...cadillac sort of thing...I'm getting ready to start restoring a 56 Plymouth Savoy, and since the original drivetrain never had any guts, I am going to use the 425 from an 82 Coupe...I'd like to figure out what amount of beefing the suspension will require, and how to juice up the engine for higher HP.

Dead Sled
06-01-04, 11:41 PM
why not stay mopar?

rulds2
06-01-04, 11:49 PM
Never been a big Mopar fan...I'm GM Certified...have the Coupe Deville for free...and its not worth restoring...too much rust...I'll part out what I don't use. I just rebuilt this tranny for the current owner about 2-3 years ago...so I know what I have there. I have the original 6 in it now and it runs well...and I have an origianl V8 from a Savoy...but even their best (of 3) only put out 200HP in its best day.

Dead Sled
06-01-04, 11:57 PM
then why not go with a 360, 440 or something newer? or an early hemi? that would be sweet. the 425 isn't a bad motor there are better. it just irritates me to see a sweet car then findout they wimped out on the motor and threw a SBC in it. When I see a ford I expect to see a ford motor and when I see a pontiac Im expecting a pontiac motor. Im not loyal to 1 brand but when i pick one i stay within it. Ive got a 71 cutlass people want me to put a 454 in it I tell them its not a chevy.

rulds2
06-02-04, 12:26 AM
"SBC"?...this isn't considered a small block...so what does SBC stand for? I'm not stuck on using the 425...but the price was right...and the other options aren't in front of me right now...I have so many projects in the fire, its nice having some of the details (such as engine and tranny) already decided. And it looks like I should be able to draw the power out of it if I clean out the holes a bit on the heads, and go with an intake from the larger block caddy...even considering a dual setup for carbs...their tough motors.

Dead Sled
06-02-04, 02:03 AM
small block chebby. I was just refering to the normal street rodders easy way out. you can get decent power out of a 425. I just know you could do better even if the price was right. finding other intakes for a cad motor is goina be tough. Edelbrock makes a preformer manifold but edelbrock has serious manufacturing issues with their manifolds. as for dual quad good luck.

RBraczyk
06-02-04, 07:12 AM
SBC's are cheap motors and hella easy to work with. I could dissasemble the damn thing in my driveway. easy to diagnose. few sensors. And easy to find parts. And very reliable too.