: LT1 to LO5

umyeah
05-23-08, 12:25 PM
I did some searching and reading up on this forum for the past two days but my searching skills are at par at best. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a RWD 95 cadillac bourgham and the motor is shot. Its the LT1. So far i have been having bad luck in finding a resonably priced (within my budget) donor car. I was thinking about swapping over to the LO5 motor. I can find this motor easier and cheaper. I know this year car had both motors but i am unsure if they are both a direct swap or not. If not, could you please explain why.

I know the heads are different and i am trying to stay away from having to take them off a motor. I know the ECU's are different but wondering if any of this really matters or If the computer in the car will run a LO5 and if all other things will bolt up.

I have also posted this in the fleetwood RWD section.

N0DIH
05-24-08, 08:30 AM
Engine will physically bolt in fine, but the electronics will be way off. Best to find an LT1 or fix the one you have. They are all over for reasonable price. I have one sitting on my trailer now that needs to be rebuilt, 92K miles, but has a bottom end rattle, but ran when we pulled it (sounded like a 6.5LTD on a -10F day with 20W50 in it....) Problem techincally is the LT1 PCM needs to talk to an Optispark and you CAN'T fit an Opti to an L05 and the LT1 PCM can't talk to anything else. The LT1 PCM is a Port EFI PCM, the L05 is a Throttle Body engine, so the differences are endless on the EFI. NOTHING interchanges.

If you wanted a swap, one guy on impalassforum did a 96-up Vortec 350 swap, and it took him ages to get it drivable. Same deal, electronics ALL have to be replaced. IF you are set on a swap, then by all means, I find 5.3L LM7 truck engines all day long for $500ish, get the wiring harness and bolt one in (need a custom or modified oil pan and custom exhaust up to the truck manifolds) not the most simple swap but would be VERY rewarding. Pretty custom swap to do though.

It isn't going to be easy at all. I picked up a parts cop car for $300, and it made a nice donor for everything, got a lot of good parts too (disc axle, engine/trans, front suspension). Lot of work to tear it all out though (we rolled it to pull the suspension out and cut with torch). But probably worth it, a ton of work to say the least.

$400 is the going rate for a junkyard engine (usually with guarantee) @ car-part.com and they will usually deliver too for a fee.

96Fleetwood
05-24-08, 09:00 AM
LT1s are only a hundred to couple hundred dollars more than a L05... why destroy the car for that change? It will cost you more than those couple hundred dollars to get the electronics to sync up.

N0DIH
05-24-08, 09:10 AM
Good point, resale, would be poor, and you would get few serious takers.

Get the LT1, it is much better anyway. If you want an upgrade, get a F-Body LT1. 3 275-300hp (same cam/heads as Vette's 300 hp engine with more restricive F-Body exhaust), you gain alum heads too. Get a 97 only engine, the 97 had alum heads that flowed same as 94-96 iron heads. But you might pay more for it, but in my book, you are doing the work on it, why not? Unless $$ is that tight.

If you want a very likely good builder engine, let me know, I need to get this one off my trailer! $150 and it is yours, bet between your engine and this one is a good solid runner with a block that has only 92K on it.... It is missing most of the electronic stuff (Opti is still on it) and the intake, I have the manifolds off and bottom end just needs to be looked at. I can try to get a real answer if you are seriously considering.

umyeah
05-26-08, 09:09 AM
I was looking for something to get the car runnning. I wasn't trying ot do the swap to be unique. The bottom end of my motor is shot as well and i was trying to stray away from rebuilding. I will look further for a donor car with a LT1. I appreciate all your input.

N0DIH
05-26-08, 12:21 PM
Well, I have my FW going up for sale very soon here, might be a thought, make me an offer, 250K miles (about to roll over on it, it is like 2499xx now), factory V4P car (HD trans), doesn't burn oil or leak worth worrying about (just damp), 3.08 posi, etc. The winter was hard on the body this year and it runs so good I don't wanna let it go, but I just can't have a car lot outside...

Would make a killer donor car (I would hate it to go like that though) to make a low 15 sec running FW....

To give you an idea how it runs...
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t142/mompower/Tom/TTS-Dyno.png
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t142/mompower/Tom/TTS-QuarterMile.png

I was looking for something to get the car runnning. I wasn't trying ot do the swap to be unique. The bottom end of my motor is shot as well and i was trying to stray away from rebuilding. I will look further for a donor car with a LT1. I appreciate all your input.

umyeah
05-26-08, 12:57 PM
It isn't going to be easy at all. I picked up a parts cop car for $300, and it made a nice donor for everything, got a lot of good parts too (disc axle, engine/trans, front suspension). Lot of work to tear it all out though (we rolled it to pull the suspension out and cut with torch). But probably worth it, a ton of work to say the least.

$400 is the going rate for a junkyard engine (usually with guarantee) @ car-part.com and they will usually deliver too for a fee.

Good looking out on the car-parts.com site. I found a few on that site close for cheap. I think the rear end is shot in my car as well. I wish you were closer for all that. 250k miles is a few more than i wanted to deal with. I might be interested in the rear end if there is a way to get it cheap. Thanks for all the input guys. I'm new to the cadillac scene but always enjoy helping hands and messing with cars in general.

N0DIH
05-26-08, 01:46 PM
The rear end IN the car now is a 80 and very quiet, posi too, 3.08's (same as Impala SS ratio). I was told it had around 100K when I bought it (no telling if they had a clue, supposedly a cop car axle, again who knows, they are all the same, but the ratio and posi line up). So my guess is it has around 150K tops on it now.

Where do you live? I am in 61109.....

umyeah
05-29-08, 04:04 PM
i am in the 23454 area. kinda far from you.

N0DIH
05-29-08, 06:30 PM
I used to be stationed at Ft. Eustis there... WAS close... long time ago....