: Upgrading the 09V

Kidhummer
05-23-08, 10:49 AM
Mods Vs. HP--> what mods pull out the most HP from a supercharged engine?

Also, how much HP do you think we can get out of the 09V without having to

build the motor.

gophaster
05-23-08, 01:19 PM
Easiest way to get more hp out of the already insane 550+ will be pulley (+ software) to increase boost some psi :eek:

I'd like to drive one first to see if it's even necessary to start modding this beast :)

urbanski
05-23-08, 01:22 PM

CIWS
05-23-08, 01:43 PM
If it's anything like the integral intake S/C on the STS-V, that pulley swap out won't be an easy thing.

The Tony Show
05-23-08, 01:45 PM
*psst*

*bigger crank pulley*

[/whisper]

onebadcad
05-23-08, 01:51 PM
Don't think the pistons will take much more power.
Also, GM is much smarter than we think, as even if the PCM is returned to stock, they will be able to tell that is has been modified-at least that is what was discussed on the most recent five threads regarding this issue.

gophaster
05-23-08, 05:08 PM
You may be right....BMW has recently updated the computers on their vehicles equipped with their twin-turbocharged N54 inline 6 (335,535,etc) so that it can record overboost conditions made by software/piggy back upgrades. The rumor is that this is stored in a section of memory that the end user cannot erase and should one's engine,turbo etc fail they would have proof in the computer to void the warranty.

Don't think the pistons will take much more power.
Also, GM is much smarter than we think, as even if the PCM is returned to stock, they will be able to tell that is has been modified-at least that is what was discussed on the most recent five threads regarding this issue.

lawfive
05-25-08, 01:38 AM
*psst*

*bigger crank. pullit*

[/whisper]

not here tony the kids won't understand

JEM
05-25-08, 03:08 AM
You may be right....BMW has recently updated the computers on their vehicles equipped with their twin-turbocharged N54 inline 6 (335,535,etc) so that it can record overboost conditions made by software/piggy back upgrades. The rumor is that this is stored in a section of memory that the end user cannot erase and should one's engine,turbo etc fail they would have proof in the computer to void the warranty.

Which is only reasonable.

If you can't afford to fix it, you can't afford to modify it.

There's no reason that GM or any other manufacturer should be on the hook if you start doing things that create greater stress on the bits than what they've tested for.

Either you'd better be damn sure it's not going to blow up, or (in the BMW world) you'd better pay the premium for Dinan's stuff and get their warranty.

Dinan typically does good stuff but they price it to chase away the cost-sensitive buyer. I'd love to have a set of his $8000 headers (okay, with a little careful shopping you can get 20% off that) on my E39 M5, but at this point that's money that's better put toward finishing up the project cars (the freshly-painted-but-otherwise-naked '65 Mustang convertible having now joined the freshly-painted-but-otherwise-naked '64 Country Sedan in the garage; the '89 Mustang track car is awaiting a bunch of wiring and a quickie paint job of its own), or an enclosed trailer for the track car, or an airplane, or finding one of the 44 (maybe less, by now) Merc R63s extant in the US, or a CTS-V wagon should GM decide to see the world my way...or, at the rate things are going, three tanks of gas for one or more of the above.

ylwjacket
05-29-08, 02:56 PM
*psst*

*bigger crank pulley*

[/whisper]

Tony -

Do you guys do this sort of thing at your place? How about live tunes, etc?

If not, maybe you can point us Central Florida guys to a place or two? PM is fine, if you don't want to say it out loud.

Dr. Design
05-29-08, 04:58 PM
Hello,
Rest assure we (D3 Cadillac) will be all over this motor, drive train, chassis, etc.. There will be PLENTLY of goodies once the final production version is set. All of our products will be correctly engineered, validated, and manufactured to retain the Cadillac quality while increasing power & torque. We will also have our own warranty for all of our products!

We already have a great deal of technical information on this motor/blower combination that will result in a very impressive list of products.

The power possibilities are endless depending on the combination.....Slapping a pulley on it and calling it a day will not get the job done. It will require the proper combination to unlock the power! It will be fun to see all the different attempts to make power with this application. Just to show you how serious we are about this application, we have already ordered (2) for development purposes and that will be in addition to all the technical data we will have access to.

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

p.s. JEM - You are in for a treat! I think you might be seeing a V-wagon sooner than later :shhh:

Mods Vs. HP--> what mods pull out the most HP from a supercharged engine?

Also, how much HP do you think we can get out of the 09V without having to

build the motor.

TexasLonghorn
05-29-08, 05:20 PM
Hello,
Rest assure we (D3 Cadillac) will be all over this motor, drive train, chassis, etc.. There will be PLENTLY of goodies once the final production version is set. All of our products will be correctly engineered, validated, and manufactured to retain the Cadillac quality while increasing power & torque. We will also have our own warranty for all of our products!

We already have a great deal of technical information on this motor/blower combination that will result in a very impressive list of products.

The power possibilities are endless depending on the combination.....Slapping a pulley on it and calling it a day will not get the job done. It will require the proper combination to unlock the power! It will be fun to see all the different attempts to make power with this application. Just to show you how serious we are about this application, we have already ordered (2) for development purposes and that will be in addition to all the technical data we will have access to.

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

p.s. JEM - You are in for a treat! I think you might be seeing a V-wagon sooner than later :shhh:
If you guys have so much technical information available, why not share it and gain some favor here. Also I would hope that you would get the technical information right on the V1 first, but clearly you have not. I just looked at you new web site and it says “Factory Performance – CTS 5.7L DOHC.” This is blatantly incorrect. The CTS never cam with a 5.7L, but the CTS-V did. Also, it is not a Dual Over Head Cam engine. It is an Over Head Valve Engine. I hope this helps you in your technical quest. Please do not take offense to this post. It just seems that you guys are about show and not go. It is very difficult to take your business and your posts seriously when your web site contains false information.

Cadillac Tony
05-29-08, 05:43 PM
Tony -

Do you guys do this sort of thing at your place? How about live tunes, etc?

If not, maybe you can point us Central Florida guys to a place or two? PM is fine, if you don't want to say it out loud.

We don't do any tuning at our place. The best LSx tuner in Florida (one of the best in the country) is Jeremy Formato. He travels around to Corvette shops and does driveability and dyno tunes, and has thousands of rave reviews. If I had known about him before ordering a canned tune, I would have traveled to have him do my V. I still might.

As far as bolt-on mods, we can install them (like UUC shifters, headers, etc), for standard shop rates and will warranty our work. Something like a Maggie is doable, but keep in mind that anything invasive like that will have repercussions on your engine warranty. My shop did all the mods on my car and still services it, but if I had them put on a Maggie and then blew a piston- well, I'd be up the creek.

CTSV_Rob
05-29-08, 05:56 PM
Some say "up a creek" while others say "Hmmmm, maybe time for the all forged LS7"...

Dr. Design
05-29-08, 06:59 PM
Hello,
Thank you for the feedback. That is very helpful. We will be sure to let our web developer (non car guy!!) know about that and get it fixed. That type of stuff is to be expected when launching a new website. This however would certainly not indicate that we are about show and not go. But as they say the proof is in the pudding. When the 09MYCTSV is released you will see what we can do. So...until then.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

If you guys have so much technical information available, why not share it and gain some favor here. Also I would hope that you would get the technical information right on the V1 first, but clearly you have not. I just looked at you new web site and it says “Factory Performance – CTS 5.7L DOHC.” This is blatantly incorrect. The CTS never cam with a 5.7L, but the CTS-V did. Also, it is not a Dual Over Head Cam engine. It is an Over Head Valve Engine. I hope this helps you in your technical quest. Please do not take offense to this post. It just seems that you guys are about show and not go. It is very difficult to take your business and your posts seriously when your web site contains false information.

ylwjacket
05-29-08, 08:37 PM
so, how do you guys work? you buy stuff, then your local dealer puts it in? i don't remember exactly where you are, but i seem to remember it being a long ways away from florida (but then again, so is most of the union). it seems impractical to ship off my car to the other end of the country for some mod work.

Dr. Design
05-29-08, 09:12 PM
Your local dealership would be able to install some of our parts depending on what kind of car you have. We are in Southern California and get cars shipped here all the time. We just shipped back another stage 2 XLRV yesterday. We also have a CTSV here from Florida right now...

PM me if you would like to go over some details.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

so, how do you guys work? you buy stuff, then your local dealer puts it in? i don't remember exactly where you are, but i seem to remember it being a long ways away from florida (but then again, so is most of the union). it seems impractical to ship off my car to the other end of the country for some mod work.

Dr Chill
05-29-08, 10:29 PM
There are many LS tuners around the country that can do any engine mod you want. Just remember, with each internal engine mod comes less reliability and voiding of the warranty.

Having a pretty radical motor in my Vette makes me appreciate factory spec when it comes to everyday drivability.

In FL, I know of Jeremy Formato's reputation, but swear by Mike Norris, who happens to have my car right now getting a Level V RPM tranny and cooler so my car can run full 45 minute sessions this summer.

ylwjacket
05-29-08, 10:35 PM
Your local dealership would be able to install some of our parts depending on what kind of car you have. We are in Southern California and get cars shipped here all the time. We just shipped back another stage 2 XLRV yesterday. We also have a CTSV here from Florida right now...

PM me if you would like to go over some details.

Thanks for the clarification. I should probably wait until I get the car before I start planning mods to it (or should I?@!@).

Dr. Design
05-30-08, 12:26 PM
:D The mod bug already has you and you dont even have the car yet. They should have mod rehab.

Dr. D

Thanks for the clarification. I should probably wait until I get the car before I start planning mods to it (or should I?@!@).

verbs
06-01-08, 03:41 PM
Hello,
Thank you for the feedback. That is very helpful. We will be sure to let our web developer (non car guy!!) know about that and get it fixed. That type of stuff is to be expected when launching a new website. This however would certainly not indicate that we are about show and not go. But as they say the proof is in the pudding. When the 09MYCTSV is released you will see what we can do. So...until then.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

You guys didn't even bother to review your own website, especially before it went live? :rolleyes: Sounds fishy, or at least a lack of due dilligence. Some of your claims on that website are outright outlandish
D3 tuned Cadillacs are considered “world class” and rival the likes of AMG, Brabus, Lorinser, RennTech, etc. :lol: I'm sorry, but you guys are no where in the same league. This one just flat out kills me about your "D3 Sparkplugs"
These plugs are made exclusively for D3 by Torquemaster. By offering a more powerful spark and superior combustion, these plugs not only increase power and torque, but they reduce engine emissions and increase fuel economy. By increasing fuel economy, these plugs will pay for themselves.

And no offense to you guys, but a speed shop warranty doesn't hold too much value IMO, and should never be considered a safety blanket or substitute for the voided factory warranty. :)

Dr. Design
06-02-08, 12:39 PM
Hello,
Thank you for your input. Obviously you are entitled to your opinion, much like anyone else on these boards. That’s fine. We will let our work speak for itself once the new V is released. I think it is interesting that we do all this development and work on the XLR-V and STS-V applications and come over to the CTSV side and get no support...(very interesting). So our creditability comes into question for a typo error on our website? Seems kind of silly. Nevertheless the website will be revised.

As for our "outlandish claims". Obviously you must know something that we don’t. Please do share. We engineer all of our products and parts using the same blueprints and drawings GM uses when designing their cars. Furthermore all of our components are engineered to OUR tolerances and then validated through extensive testing, on and off the dyno.

Sorry if it seems like I am ranting. But if people only knew how much money we spend on developing, validating, testing, and manufacturing products, they might have a greater appreciation for what D3 is trying to do for the Cadillac brand. Let's just not be so quick to judge and throw companies, which are trying to support YOUR preferred vehicle brand, under the bus.

See you at the show.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

You guys didn't even bother to review your own website, especially before it went live? :rolleyes: Sounds fishy, or at least a lack of due dilligence. Some of your claims on that website are outright outlandish :lol: I'm sorry, but you guys are no where in the same league. This one just flat out kills me about your "D3 Sparkplugs"

And no offense to you guys, but a speed shop warranty doesn't hold too much value IMO, and should never be considered a safety blanket or substitute for the voided factory warranty. :)

MIACTSV
06-02-08, 02:27 PM
Cant wait to see what you guys will have avaliable for the V2. Wheels on your website look really good.
Keep up the good work.:thumbsup: