: Fuel rail recall expanded

Logandiagnostic
06-01-04, 07:45 PM
Everyone I hope knew about the Aurora plastic fuel rail recall. The Cadillacs were added as of 04-19-04.

NHTSA Action Number : EA04003 NHTSA Recall Campaign Number : 04V110000
Make : CADILLAC Model: DEVILLE
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Year : 1995
Component : FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
Date Investigation Opened : February 3, 2004
Date Investigation Closed : April 23, 2004
Summary:
ON MARCH 3, 2004, GENERAL MOTORS NOTIFIED ODI THAT IT WAS RECALLING APPROXIMATELY 94,000 MY 1995-97 OLDSMOBILE AURORA VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 4.0L V8 ENGINES (RPO L47 - VIN8 "C") TO ADDRESS CONCERNS WITH UNDERHOOD FUEL LEAKAGE FROM CRACKED FUEL RAILS AND, IN SOME OF THE VEHICLES, CRACKED FUEL RETURN LINES. ACCORDING TO GM, THE NYLON TUBING (PA12) USED IN THE FUEL RAIL CONSTRUCTION IN THESE VEHICLES MAY DEGRADE AND CRACK. GM'S SUPPLIER ATTRIBUTED THE CRACKING TO THE COMBINED EFFECTS OF HEAT, TIME, ALCOHOL FUEL, FUEL PRESSURE CYCLING, AND DESIGN STRESSES. IN ADDITION, GM STATED THAT THE MY 1995 AURORA USES A UNIQUE UNDERHOOD FUEL RETURN LINE THAT MAY ALSO CRACK AT UNUSUALLY HIGH RATES. GM DEALERS WILL INSTALL A NEW FUEL RAIL CONSTRUCTED OUT OF STAINLESS STEEL IN ALL OF THE RECALLED VEHICLES AND WILL ALSO INSTALL A REVISED CHASSIS FUEL RETURN LINE IN THE MY 1995 AURORAS. ON APRIL 16, 2004, GENERAL MOTORS NOTIFIED ODI THAT IT WAS ADDING APPROXIMATELY 389,000 MY 1995-97 CADILLAC SEVILLE, DEVILLE AND ELDORADO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 4.6L V8 ENGINES (RPO'S LD8 AND L37 - VIN8 "Y" AND "9") TO RECALL 04V-110. THE RECALLED CADILLACS WILL RECEIVE THE NEW STAINLESS STEEL FUEL RAILS. THIS ENGINEERING ANALYSIS IS CLOSED.

Logan
www.airbagcrash.com
www.logandiagnostic.com

eldorado1
06-01-04, 07:48 PM
Thank you very, VERY much! I was patiently awaiting this recall!! Do you know if I can bring to them a loaded nylon fuel rail, and come out with the new version? I changed out the broken fuel rail myself...

Logandiagnostic
06-01-04, 07:56 PM
What is a loaded fuel line? They will replace anything thats on there with the new SS one.

Problem is the recall just came out 6 weeks ago. My guess is none of the dealers have any yet.....or even know about it.

The safest soluloution is: If the line is currently leaking. Have the dealer replace it right now with the current plastic version. Then, when the SS ones come in they can replace it.... again. Parts and labor should be GMs bill, regardless of age and mileage of the vehicle.

If you have paid for a new or used fuel rail in the last year or two. Dig up the bill....chances are you will be able to get a refund.

Logan
www.airbagcrash.com
www.logandiagnostic.com

eldorado1
06-01-04, 07:59 PM
My engine's apart right now... I've got this:

http://i18.ebayimg.com/02/i/01/73/a1/6d_1_sb.JPG

sitting waiting to be reinstalled... Basically what I'm asking is if they'll honor the recall if I just bring them the rail (not the car/engine with it :coolgleam ) Guess I'll have to call tomorrow :rolleyes2

RLLOVETT
06-01-04, 09:08 PM
What's the difference between the 94 and 95 fuel rails? Did they change tubing types? manufacturers? Any reason the worry about my 94?

i014
06-02-04, 12:34 AM
Logan,
I called Cadillac last week and asked about this recall, and was told there is no recall on my vehicle. Can you tell me if my 97 Deville should be included? Vin #1G6KD54Y8VU295393 Thanks, Kirk

eldorado1
06-02-04, 12:47 PM
Logan,
I called Cadillac last week and asked about this recall, and was told there is no recall on my vehicle. Can you tell me if my 97 Deville should be included? Vin #1G6KD54Y8VU295393 Thanks, Kirk
I just stopped in today, and they said the same thing. The guy said he needed a GM (something) number?

Aurora By Olds
06-03-04, 05:56 PM
Logan,
I called Cadillac last week and asked about this recall, and was told there is no recall on my vehicle.
Likewise for my '95 Aurora. Checked about a month+ ago, and nothing. Waited and checked again today, and still nothing.
Anyone know a number for GM I can call to find out for sure?

eldorado1
06-03-04, 06:00 PM
Likewise for my '95 Aurora. Checked about a month+ ago, and nothing. Waited and checked again today, and still nothing.
Anyone know a number for GM I can call to find out for sure?
One site pointed me to 1-866-982-2339, but that's for cadillac. Maybe they'll have some idea?

Aurora By Olds
06-03-04, 09:52 PM
One site pointed me to 1-866-982-2339, but that's for cadillac. Maybe they'll have some idea?Thanks a bunch. If nothing else, they should be able to redirect me...

JSMeloche
06-04-04, 11:07 AM
I called my dealer (Boulevard in Hull, Québec formely William's) and he said there was no recall on my car other then reseal the airbag module or something like that.

Aurora By Olds
06-04-04, 12:24 PM
Just got off the phone with Olds, and they cannot find any information about a recent furl rail recall for ANY aurora. They don't know of any recent recalls or anyone I could contact to learn about them. They told me to wait and hopefully I will get something in the mail someday...

Ranger
06-04-04, 08:00 PM
When I checked the NHTSA site the other day it said the notices would start going out on 6/2/04.

BeelzeBob
06-04-04, 11:15 PM
It takes a while for the dealers to get the parts...and it is going to take months and months to produce enough stainless steel rails to retrofit all the cars in the field....be patient.

The 93/94 Northstars are not affected since the rail is inside the intake manifold. There will be no uncontained leak of fuel as it is inside the intake. Experience with those rails inside the manifold has been excellent as the rails are not subjected to the higher underhood temps of the external rails.

ShadowLvr400
06-05-04, 12:39 PM
Can they refuse to do recall work?... Because no caddy dealer likes to do the work on my engine. Something about a bunch of nitrous lines running across the motor. :) Anyone wanna take bets on whether or not they try to turn me away.

Henrik
06-05-04, 08:48 PM
It takes a while for the dealers to get the parts...and it is going to take months and months to produce enough stainless steel rails to retrofit all the cars in the field....be patient.

Being a European, currently living in the US and driving a 95 ETC, please allow me to ask a few naive questions:

Q1: Can I expect to automatically receive a letter about this recall or do I have to contact a dealer and make myself known?

Q2: When should I expect a letter (if that is the vehicle to announce the recall)?

Q3: In which order will the customers have their fixes done (first in first out, alphabetically, by serial #, random, ...)?

Q4: How big an operation is this (time, effort, ...)?

Q5: Are there other fixes that should be performed at the same time? In other words are there components in the vicinity of the fuel rail that have a limited service life (I have approx 70K on my engine and it is running perfect)?

Q6: I assume that the likelihood of experiencing a problem before the fix is performed is low. I have not noticed a lot of discussions in this forum about people experiencing this problem.

Q7: Is this free of charge?

ShadowLvr400
06-05-04, 09:12 PM
Being a European, currently living in the US and driving a 95 ETC, please allow me to ask a few naive questions:

Q1: Can I expect to automatically receive a letter about this recall or do I have to contact a dealer and make myself known?

Q2: When should I expect a letter (if that is the vehicle to announce the recall)?

Q3: In which order will the customers have their fixes done (first in first out, alphabetically, by serial #, random, ...)?

Q5: Are there other fixes that should be performed at the same time? In other words are there components in the vicinity of the fuel rail that have a limited service life (I have approx 70K on my engine and it is running perfect)?

Q6: I assume that the likelihood of experiencing a problem before the fix is performed is low. I have not noticed a lot of discussions in this forum about people experiencing this problem.

1, they should send you a letter eventually.
2, depends how quick GM gets to sending them
3, it's order of arrival, if you get the mail, and are the first one to call the caddy dealership, you'll be the first
4, I flat don't know
5, Once again, not sure, should be fine.
6, what's the question?
7, the recall itself is, but there's the likelihood that Caddy will find other things "wrong" :)

BeelzeBob
06-05-04, 09:59 PM
1. Did you buy the car new and/or was the original warranty assigned or reassinged to you?? If not, if it was a used car purchase, GM will not know that you own the car... In any case, it would not hurt to stop by a dealer and contact them yourself regarding getting in the que to get the retrofit.

2. See above. you may never get one if you are not the registered owner of the car at GM.

3. Probably in the order that letters are sent out and/or order that the dealer is contacted. It will probably take over a year to manufacture enough stainless steel fuel rails to retrofit all the cars in service so don't panic. It is really nothing to panic over at all.

4. It is fairly straight forward. Nothing major to dissassemble and all the operation is under the hood. I don't know what the actual straight time for the operation is but I would guess one to two hours.... The old fuel rail unclips from the intake and only takes about 5 minutes to remove. The injectors will have to be swapped and the new rail installed. Not a big deal at all.

5. I think the 95 will get a new fuel return line also at the engine....nothing else needs to be replaced.

6. This retrofit is really a preemptive move on GM's part. There have been a few fuel rails spring a pinhole leak particularily in areas of the country where fuel with alcohol is common and the underhood temps are unusually high. If you smell fuel and/or spot a fuel leak at the rail it is advisable not to drive the car and have it towed to the dealer for repair. Even if the rail has to be replaced with another plastic part until the metal rail is availabe for retrofit then it should be covered. Really, the odds of having a problem are very slim. Out of the millions of rails out there only a very few have had a leak problem...but, given the severity of the possible consequences of a fuel leak underhood the parts are being retrofitted by GM.

7.It is free.

With a 95 your engine and cooling system came with the silicated green coolant that needed changing every 2-3 years/24-32K miles. Otherwise, if the coolant isn't replaced frequently, the engine and cooling system will likely be damaged by internal corrosion as the corrosion inhibitors in the coolant fail. This is a good time to make sure the cooling system is serviced and the coolant supplement pellets are installed in the system. Also, the water pump drive belt and tensioner on a 95 would need checking and servicing to make sure the tensioner is moving freely on the pivot.

eldorado1
06-05-04, 10:16 PM
My question to others is why they chose to go with stainless steel? I've been told the MY 98+ fuel rails have multilayered PTFE which isn't succeptable to the leaks/cracks... Why not just use those instead of spending millions on getting a new part into circulation? Or is there something they aren't telling us?

Henrik
06-05-04, 10:30 PM
Thanks to both of you for super-quick replies, this forum is great! I did not buy the car new nor did I have any warranty transferred to me (to my knowledge). I would hope that I still qualify to have the work performed. My wife owns a 96 Ford. They had a recall recently to fix some corrosion problem on the brake system. For the Ford we received a letter that we needed to schedule an appointment with the local dealer. They fixed the problem for us and at no charge without us having to show any warranty documentation. In fact they sent us the letter without us ever having had the car serviced there before, so I assume they got our address and vehicle information from some central vehicle registry. I hope something similar will happen with my Cadillac. As per earlier suggestions from bbob, I recently performed the coolant service myself. I also changed the water pump belt and lubricated the pivot.

BeelzeBob
06-05-04, 10:50 PM
They may very well get your name and address from the state vehicle registration...but...in any case, just take the car to a dealer and they can take care of it. There is no need for the original warranty info as the vehicle VIN is all that is required. I mentioned the original warranty only as an question that might have indicated that you bought the car while the orignal factory warranty was still in effect and that would have automatically transferred your name to the Cadillac record of owner.

missmycaddy
06-08-04, 11:13 AM
Hi all,I am new at this site and was visiting it to look at used parts,an engine to be exact.I cant believe i saw this thread,my story is my 1995 seville sls with northstar engine cought on fire at the end of april.We were able to put the fire out but engine is done,what we found was a bighole in the fuel rail.My question is about where i stand in the recall?I just purchased my caddy in oct used and now its worthless.Loved the car and would LOVE a new engine.

Ranger
06-08-04, 10:18 PM
I don't think it makes any difference when you bought it. If it was destroyed by a faulty fuel rail I would contact GM and perhaps the NHTSA. You may have some recourse with GM. I would think a new motor would be cheaper than a law suit but then I don't think like a lawyer.

Rick201m
07-06-04, 01:39 PM
My dealer is still not accepting anything from NHTSA in a letter from their site or the like from here. My 97 DV is at the dealer as it sprung a pinhole leak while my wife was driving it and gushed raw gasoline all over the engine. Good thing there was no fire! They've offered me to have it fixed and ask for reimbursement but....how long would it take me to get my money back?? If it takes them a year to do this recall, then it'll take them 3 yrs to get my money back. So, that makes me hesitate. Any other advice on how to get them to acknowledge the recall? Phones number that they can call to get it authorized? Thanks for any help with this as i need that car back. Thanks, Rick in CO

fast32vsts
07-06-04, 02:01 PM
I would recomend calling GM @ 1800-458-8006 and then call NHTSA 1800-424-9393. I think those numbers are still in service. I had to call once before a number of years ago and I was taken care of in 5 minuets. They do not want to screw around with not doing a Recall for FREE!!!!!

JSMeloche
07-09-04, 08:09 AM
FOR ALL CANADIAN!!!

I called GM Canada yesterday and they said there is no recall available for the fuel rail. Only a recall for the Air Bag module (#98032)

So I decided to buy those nice ricer type extinguisher and mount it on the A pillar, it look so sweet. And while i was there i picked up a nice NOS bottle with a SUB inside, this will look good on my rear seat! JUST KIDDING

Henrik
07-09-04, 01:33 PM
I just called my local Cadillac dealer (NY state) and talked to a very nice gentleman in their service department. I was asked to provide my Win # (95 ETC), he ran it against his computer and informed me that nothing was showing up in his system. I explained my worry about the fuel rail situation, and told him about this forum so he could go and check for himself. The local dealer was not aware of any fuel rail recall (at least for cars with Win #s matching mine). I have decided to use my Cadillac less and will also buy a fire extinguisher until it is fixed properly. How big a job is it to perform this task myself? Are the enhanced SS rails available anywhere? What sort of cost aspects are involved here? Someone else in this forum indicated $700 for replacement fuel rails and they were not even the enhanced version if my memory serves me well.

OlManRivah
07-09-04, 02:56 PM
I had my '97Eldo Basic in the Dealer yesterday, Richmond, Virginia. I was getting some warrenty work done and oil change, transaxle fluid change and PS fluid changed. They knew nothing of a recall. They are considered a good Dealer in this area and my experience with them has been good. Maybe this is a hoax

Ranger
07-09-04, 05:37 PM
I don't think it is a hoax. You can look it up on the NHTSA site. I suspect it is going to take some time to get 400,000-500,000 SS fuel rails made. My guess is the dealers will hear about it just before they start shipping them. Mean while, if you have a leak I would make a call to the zone rep. I think they are aware of the recall and can authorize a fix with the plastic fuel rail at no charge until the SS one arrive.

dloch
07-09-04, 05:44 PM
I don't think it's a hoax. I have seen the machines, as in multiples, GM purchased to bent/build the new SS fuel lines for the N*. They don't spend that kind of money for no apparent reason

Again the dealers are not GM or Cadillac, they are representatives of the manufacturer. They, the dealer isn't going to make contact to find out if there is a recall they will wait until they are informed of it otherwise they will have to fight with GM to get the warranty money involved with the fix.

My concern is what else they will find or break for that matter when they do change the fuel rails. On my 97 part of the fuel rail goes under the Throttle body to the front side of the motor. Do they have to remove the throttle body, maf, etc to change the fuel rails? I can just see the the dollar signs in there eyes.. the dealer that is. You get the phone call that the Throttle body should be cleaned and de-carbed as they will call it, and by the way you should change the fuel filter while we have the fuel line disconnected even though the fuel filter is under the car and the line they disconnect are under the hood... Not to mention since the injectors have been removed you should replace the O-Rings on them....

That is my concern... When I do get the recall I wish I could just go down to the dealer and get the part and do it myself and give them back the bad one.... hell I'll give em two since I have two engines, one in the car one on the stand.

Ok.... I feel better now.

Pjs
07-09-04, 05:48 PM
I called my local Cad dealer today in a parts search, and while on the phone I spoke w/ a service advisor and asked whether the dealership was aware of the recall. He said they were and explained that my fuel rail would be replaced once they have the parts...his best estimate was towards the end of summer and that I would be contacted even though I just bought the car used a couple months ago.
He also said that they were using new plastic until the SS ones come in, but didn't say whether the customer would be billed for the parts & labor.

Patrick

Ranger
07-09-04, 09:21 PM
dloch, I know what you are saying. I am expecting the same thing. You should have your injectors cleaned while we have it apart and you are due for this and that. My response will be do whatever is covered and nothing more.

Logandiagnostic
07-10-04, 08:46 AM
I think it was DLOCH who first saw the SS fuel line tubing equipment being set up last winter....

Sure enough, the Olds Auroras were recalled for the new fuel lines....

Now, just like clockwork, the Cadillacs are also being recalled.

Hey PJS....in Nashville....which dealer knew about the recall? Andrews or Crest? We know Andrews Cadillac pretty well.

Logan Diagnostic
www.airbagcrash.com
www.crashdatainfo.com
www.logandiagnostic.com

Pjs
07-10-04, 09:52 AM
Hey PJS....in Nashville....which dealer knew about the recall? Andrews or Crest? We know Andrews Cadillac pretty well.

I contaced Crest, completely forgot about Andrews. The service guy I talked with was really friendly and helpful...kinda suprised me.

ljklaiber
07-10-04, 10:10 AM
My thanks to all for this info. My 95 sls has reached 144k and no problems except battery. I will get with a local dealer and get on the list as my wife loves the car and unless I get her, her own caddy, she will be the one driving to and from work. Thanks again! :2thumbs:

OlManRivah
07-10-04, 03:31 PM
:banghead: I really don't see what not having the part has to do with knowing of the recall. If they operate this way, how will you know this list will automatically ensure you will be notified.

I had my coolant changed over a year ago and everytime my dealer sends me my reminder for oil change, they remind me to change my coolant. My Dealer blames the Computer.

Is this the Computer that's gonna recall me? :banghead:

All my mis-spelling on this Forum is because of my Computer.........:drinker

Logandiagnostic
07-13-04, 08:10 PM
The Cadillac recall will beginn in July. Here is a link to the related GM documents. Its a PDF file so you will need Adobe to see the documents.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/RepositoryFiles.cfm?module=RECALLS&IfsDocId=04V110

Logan Diagnostic
www.airbagcrash.com
www.crashdatainfo.com
www.logandiagnostic.com

94CaddyConcours
07-16-04, 06:45 PM
Does this apply to my 94 Caddy Concours.?:)

Ranger
07-16-04, 08:24 PM
Does this apply to my 94 Caddy Concours.?:) No, '95-'99 I believe.

94CaddyConcours
07-24-04, 01:54 PM
Ohh

gashhtfd
08-09-04, 02:21 PM
I am a newbie, but a long time lurker with a 1995 SLS (Diamond White) and today received my fuel rail recall notice to bring the car in to the dealer for fuel rail inspection/replacement, so the Cadillac recall notices have apparently begun to go out FYI.
Gary Ashton
1995 Seville SLS
97,500 miles

ljklaiber
08-09-04, 03:32 PM
I got the recall from Cadillac today , in the mail. I got a 95 sls with 145k and no probs, but I think I get my Lady in another car, and I will sit this one myself. I'll take the ride.

Enygma
08-09-04, 05:43 PM
Since I am preety sure I will not get the recall notice for my '53 Ford Northstar, I am wondering which pieces I should replace. Is it just the fuel rail or there other pieces involved?
Thanks,
Scott
http://www.hevanet.com/enygma/index.html

Henrik
08-27-04, 02:15 PM
Since I voiced my concern earlier, I owe you all a quick status update: I now received the recall notice in my mail for my 95 ETC. I called the local dealer and was set up for an appointment the following Friday. The fuel rail was replaced without any questions being asked and everything works fine. Besides for the fact that it took two hours rather than the suggested one hour I am very satisfied. The mechanic showed me the old nylon fuel rail assembly after the operation.

customGTP
08-27-04, 03:24 PM
anyone have a pic of their new Rails? I'd like to see em

Dennisk
08-31-04, 05:08 AM
Got my letter last week for the recall, dealer has done about 10 sofar...should get it done in the next week or so.

Pjs
09-05-04, 09:14 AM
While I was @ my local caddy dealer picking up some parts on Friday, I asked the service manager if they we're doing the recalls, he looked up my last 8 #'s of the VIN then handed me a GM vehicle inquiry system printout. Under the field "Required field actions" it states to replace the fuel rail. They told me to give them a day's notice and then bring it in. They are also trying to push me to replace the FPR for $126. They say that for some reason after the fuel rails are replaced, the FPR goes bad...I told them I'd wait for it to go bad...sheesh.
The bonus part about this print out....it's got my cars service history from every dealer that worked on it. It appears that my trans, lower valve assy and input speed sensor were all replaced @ 66K miles.

Patrick

Hason560
09-15-04, 12:40 PM
Just got off the phone with the Main caddy dealer here in cleveland and he tried to act like he didnt know what i was talking about. I had my fuel rail go about 4 months ago it split right between the first and second injector on the back side of the engine. took me a while to realize it to since high octane kinda smells like paint and not regular gas. anyways that fuel rail cost me about $370 and i did it myself. took about 1hour and 15 min. not to hard. hardest part is pulling the fuel lines apart with those stupid plastic tools. Now i gotta find the recipt. oh yeah if your gonna get it changed might as well replace the injector o rings while your at it. they cost about 10 bucks. i didnt the first time and one went bad not to long ago so i had to take it all apart again.

henry8
09-16-04, 10:49 PM
I got my fuel rail replaced today on my 96 DeVille. They also replaced the fuel pressure regulator which was giving me problems. Hard starts and the proverbial puff of grey smoke. Total cost was $73 for the FPR ($68 + tax). The dealer was very cooperative in every aspect. There were 3 other customers getting the same repair. Diamond Lil now runs like new again.

KrazyK55
09-18-04, 12:35 PM
I just received a fuel rail notice Thursday 9-16-04 from GM for my 1996 Eldorado so Ya'll should be hearing from GM soon. :yup:

leprcon
09-20-04, 11:23 PM
i would have assumed i would have had a recall on my 98 sts but went in for another problem, and zero,zip,nada :rolleyes: i just hate for it to include my car when it is 2 late :banghead: :banghead:

myrc60
10-13-04, 07:22 PM
Got notice for my 97 Seville SLS today. Taking it in tomorrow.

97d'elegance
10-26-04, 11:28 AM
I just got back from my local Cadillac Dealership. I had the recall completed for my 97 Deville D'Elegance. It took about an hour to complete and the invoice amount was $280 which of course they paid. I also noticed for the first time ever the car did a slight backfire when I started it a few mornings ago and they said the recall would fix this problem. Does this sound accurate?

Ranger
10-27-04, 10:20 AM
I don't think the fuel rail itself would cause or fix a back fire problem. Maybe a leaky injector or FPR.

LCLCLC
10-28-04, 01:10 AM
My brother has had his 96 Seville's recall done. He said the invoice indicates a 'regulator' was replaced. And looking at it afterwards, he said the 'first thing on the fuel rail' was also new.

So, it appears a new Fuel Pressure Regulator is also being installed.

Ummmmm... I remember someone on here sayed something like '...and I had the FPR also replaced, at my dealer's recommendation, for about $75...'
Think this guy has a real weazel for a dealer, charging for a part included in a recall kit?????

Ranger
10-28-04, 10:24 AM
The first thing I did when I got home was to inspect mine and it sure looks to me like the FPR is different from the one that was on there and I was not charged anything.

eldorado1
10-28-04, 02:03 PM
I was never given a new FPR, it just came with a new "seal/filter kit" for the old one, and a different clip to hold it on the new rail. '95 btw.

STS 310
10-28-04, 03:41 PM
Been meaning to get to the dealer. I think I need an FPR as well. It sure would be nice if they threw it in.

Ranger
10-29-04, 11:22 AM
I was never given a new FPR, it just came with a new "seal/filter kit" for the old one, and a different clip to hold it on the new rail. '95 btw.
That's kind of what I suspected. Can't imagine they will give you anything more than they absolutely have to.