: Anyone going to see the new Indiana Jones today ?

dwight.j.carter
05-22-08, 03:53 PM
I would like to but probably won't make it till Sunday.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-22-08, 04:02 PM
Eh, I'll probably end up seeing it at some point. It looks engaging enough.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
05-22-08, 05:17 PM
I am going to the drive-in to see it.

Anyone in Chicago, the Cascade drive-in (http://www.cascadedrivein.com/) on North Ave. in West Chicago is showing Indiana Jones and Ironman this weekend. I'm going Saturday night with a bunch of people. $8.50 a person for 2 movies.

thebigjimsho
05-23-08, 01:29 AM
Subpar. Too much Kate Blanchett, non-believable scenes and too much CG...

Highline Cady
05-23-08, 01:42 AM
It got a horrible write up in our local paper, then again I think the critic was misguided in what he expected from this movie. I liked all the others if it follows the same type of script it should be entertaining. I look forward to seeing it sometime this weekend.

Jesda
05-23-08, 04:19 AM
I didnt understand what the hell it was about, but I had fun.

EcSTSatic
05-23-08, 08:13 AM
I am going to the drive-in to see it.

Who goes to the drive-in to watch a movie ?? :devil:

JimmyH
05-23-08, 10:41 AM
As long as the critics dislike it, that means it will rock.

dwight.j.carter
05-23-08, 11:01 AM
As long as the critics dislike it, that means it will rock.

I agree !

thebigjimsho
05-23-08, 12:32 PM
I liked it. But it ain't no Last Crusade, that's for damn sure...

dwight.j.carter
05-23-08, 12:38 PM
Raiders of the Lost Ark was my favorite no Indy movie will ever live up to that one for me.

The Tony Show
05-23-08, 01:34 PM
I'll probably love it, but I suspect a lot of people are suffering from the Star Wars Prequel syndrome- there's no way it's ever going to live up to the hype. I probably would have enjoyed ep 1-3 if they weren't Star Wars movies, but I got myself so amped up about how awesome they were going to be that I was severely let down.

I've avoided the excitement on this one as much as possible and tried to keep my expectations low. I figure if I go in expecting mediocrity I might be pleasantly surprised.

JimmyH
05-23-08, 02:05 PM
I doubt they could have made this as good as Last Crusade. Even if they had gotten Connery.

I will accept it for what it is, a movie to push the franchise to four.

Shawn4.0
05-23-08, 02:08 PM
Sadly, even if there was no hype, this film would not live up. Watched it last night @ 10:30 to a surprisingly non-sold out theater (almost, but come-on this was supposed to be freaking Indy).

Without ruining anything, I'll say that Lucas should be ashamed of himself. Some of the CG was bad, some scenes, really bad. I also can't believe who this Crystal Skull is/is for. It gets a little weird/far fetched. And some of the action is a bit ridiculous. Sorry, but Shia did some things Mariusz Pudzianowski can't do...

JimmyH
05-23-08, 02:19 PM
Ummm, the whole franchise is far fetched. That's kind of the point.

And with ticket prices (and gas prices for that matter) where they are, the days of sold-out movies are gone.

Shawn4.0
05-23-08, 02:28 PM
Far fetched as in some of the "people" they deal with are a "step above" :bulb: the usual mummies, sprits, etc that Indy has dealt with.

Sold out movies, huh? Did you try to get a Iron Man ticket two weeks ago? Any time after 5 was sold out....

JimmyH
05-23-08, 03:19 PM
Not around here. From 6-10pm everybody is eating :lol:

Brett
05-23-08, 03:34 PM
I liked it other than some goofy scenes and the final 10-15 minutes. It didnt have the feel of the original, but to me that was OK. It was like the "Old Indiana Jones Chronicles".

Actually, I think we missed some of Indy's best stories. Near the beginning when he alludes to what he was doing during World War 2.

JimmyH
05-23-08, 03:45 PM
Well, if they turn the Indy franchise into something akin to James Bond, we could very well see another actor playing that out. I would be all for that.

dwight.j.carter
05-23-08, 03:54 PM
Am I the only one that liked the Star Wars Prequels ?

JimmyH
05-23-08, 04:05 PM
No, I am the other one :lol:

The Tony Show
05-23-08, 05:39 PM
^ Win. :rofl:

JimmyH
05-23-08, 10:34 PM
Well we went to see Indy tonight. Horrible. Because the theatre was packed, and we could not find two seats together. So we went and got vouchers and got the hell out of there. I should know better than to go see a movie on opening day just about.

On the plus side, had king crab at Chinn's. If there is a heaven on earth, that place is closest to.

AMGoff
05-24-08, 04:10 PM
For some reason... I have no desire to spend 25 bucks just to see Indiana Jones being chased by a giant rolling can of Ensure...

I'm sure I'll see it... after it comes out On-Demand.

Jesda
05-25-08, 12:03 AM
For some reason... I have no desire to spend 25 bucks just to see Indiana Jones being chased by a giant rolling can of Ensure...

I'm sure I'll see it... after it comes out On-Demand.

I suggest spending $8.

AMGoff
05-25-08, 12:39 AM
I suggest spending $8.

Hmmm.... Where can you go to the movies for 8 bucks? Round here, we're looking at at least $10 for the tickets (x2)... and then we *might* be able to get a popcorn for another five.... although I just read that movie popcorn prices are going up across the country.... So all I have to do is wait 6-8 months and I can order it for $4... or just pirate it :shhh:

Anyway... I have this unsettling suspicion that the next movie I'll be going to see is that Sex In The City movie with ol' horse-face S.J. Paker whether I like it or not.... :banghead: I suppose I can only hope Kim Catrall gets nekked in it... but even then, she has fallen off a bit since her "Porky's" days, still... not too shabby for a 50-some year old woman!

CadillacGurl
05-25-08, 10:02 AM
My mom and dad went to go see it. My dad was surprised that the girl from the first one (Raiders of the Lost Ark) Marion I believe was her name came back and reprized her role in the new movie! Both of my parents liked it. Jason and I may go see it tomorrow morning.

I'm kinda intrigued now since Russia might be banning the movie since Cate Blanchett's character works for the KGB.

Also the Crystal Skull is actually a real artifact, no one really knows what it is actually used for. They had some special on tv one night about it...

The other movie I am looking forward to is Sex and the City. I :gurl: fashion :D

Jesda
05-25-08, 11:44 AM
S&TC is a show about three hookers and their mom. I'm glad Matthew Broderick is able to service that heap of bones, but SJP is revolting to me.

I paid $6.50 to sit on a big leather couch and watch Indiana Jones. Unfortunately, I fell asleep because I was so darn comfortable. I also spent $40 at the bar on alcohol, which was actually reasonably priced. I just drank a LOT.

CadillacGurl
05-25-08, 09:38 PM
:lol: Smooth Jesda

dkozloski
05-25-08, 11:16 PM
I don't waste my time with a heavily promoted movie. If the movie is good it will promote itself. If the movie is bad, no amount of promotion will improve it.

Night Wolf
05-26-08, 01:36 AM
I don't know if I ever saw the first 3, but my friend called me up today to ask if I wanted to see it, so I did.

Very corny overall, but I guess thats what it was about... $6 since it was in the afternoon, not bad. Some of the scenes there was just no depth, like they were standing against a wall, I dunno if thats the feeling they were trying to get or not.

Of course my favorite part was all the cars and whatnot.... the intro with Elvis' Hounddog was pretty cool, the hot rod Model T? didn't show too much of it but neat... flathead V8, side pipes and the classic V8 badge on the grille.... then I liked the part where they raced the Army car... again, short lived.... three on the tree was pretty darn cool too!

Speaking of the cars, what were the Amry cars? Hudsons or Packards? they were neat.

I pay way too much attention to the cars and vehicles in general in movies though....

tenmark
05-26-08, 07:12 AM
Haven't seen the movie but the Army cars from the promo were 49 Fords.

I'm done with going to the movies. It's just not fun for me. All the talking, cell phone calls, and people smacking their lips munching down on food bugs me. Then you're stuck watching the commercials unless you go late. Go late and you don't get a good seat. Tickets average about $10 here in Orlando. And then you have to deal with the kids. Twice, in the last five years, either the movie was stopped and the cops were called in or I had to stand up give a group of kids hell. It's just not fun.

Besides, the theater is really obsolete anyway. I have a stupid big TV at home. Got a kick ass Bose surround sound system too. And a fridge in the garage with all the snacks/beer/drinks I want for less than 1/10th the price. The only thing is the wait - if you're overly interested in watching current movies. But these days, the new movies come right out. Not like Temple of Doom that took years and years to come out on tape. (shamelessly it did just before Crusades)

I still go to the movies - just not as often. Saw Iron Man and liked it. There Will Be Blood too. But I go to the first or second showing in the middle of the week. You know, the 11AM show. Best time to go. I'll see Indy in a next week, maybe.

Jesda
05-26-08, 08:27 AM
Premium channels make up the bulk of my movie watching. Lately I've been going to the movies very often after years of almost never going. My biggest gripe used to be the seating, until I discovered the nicer theaters with massive digital screens, full service bars, and plush seats -- sometimes for the same or less money.

The Tony Show
05-26-08, 09:23 AM
I saw it yesterday- meh.

Like Night Wolf said, several of the scenes (especially the near opening sequence outside the hangar) look like they were shot on a Gone With the Wind set. You know- a 10 foot deep stage with a painting of a sky hanging behind the actors. I don't know if it was a camera effect or it was really green-screened, but either way it looked ludicrous.

There were some good action sequences here and there, but several were so ridiculous it wasn't even funny (swing, Shia! Swing, monkey boy!). I don't know if Harrison Ford was trying to act tired as part of his character, but the way it came across it seemed like he was bored and phoning it in. Cate Blanchett was great as the psycho KGB agent.

I know it seems like I hated it, but I actually didn't. It was an enjoyable adventure movie, but didn't have the Indiana Jones magic that Raiders and Last Crusade did. Just like the last franchise that was resurrected after a long hiatus (Star Wars), I feel that the movie would have worked better if it were a stand alone movie with a different character than Indiana Jones.

Night Wolf
05-26-08, 11:00 AM
Haven't seen the movie but the Army cars from the promo were 49 Fords.

I'm done with going to the movies. It's just not fun for me. All the talking, cell phone calls, and people smacking their lips munching down on food bugs me. Then you're stuck watching the commercials unless you go late. Go late and you don't get a good seat. Tickets average about $10 here in Orlando. And then you have to deal with the kids. Twice, in the last five years, either the movie was stopped and the cops were called in or I had to stand up give a group of kids hell. It's just not fun.

Besides, the theater is really obsolete anyway. I have a stupid big TV at home. Got a kick ass Bose surround sound system too. And a fridge in the garage with all the snacks/beer/drinks I want for less than 1/10th the price. The only thing is the wait - if you're overly interested in watching current movies. But these days, the new movies come right out. Not like Temple of Doom that took years and years to come out on tape. (shamelessly it did just before Crusades)

I still go to the movies - just not as often. Saw Iron Man and liked it. There Will Be Blood too. But I go to the first or second showing in the middle of the week. You know, the 11AM show. Best time to go. I'll see Indy in a next week, maybe.

Thats exactly what they were!

Awesome, just like this but 4-door...

http://www.autolife.umd.umich.edu/Design/Walker/1949-Ford-86070-114.gif

They were cool in the movie... very post war 1940's design, which I think is cool.... and the column shift manual.... that is something I'd like to try bad now. A guy at work has a '66 Chevy pickup with one, it's pretty cool.

Hmm.... maybe sorta possibly is the '49 Ford a cheap way to get into an old car.... and they made them in convertibles too (ala Back to the Future) since 50's Caddys are soo much money.....

thebigjimsho
05-26-08, 10:32 PM
Anyway... I have this unsettling suspicion that the next movie I'll be going to see is that Sex In The City movie with ol' horse-face S.J. Paker whether I like it or not.... :banghead: I suppose I can only hope Kim Catrall gets nekked in it... but even then, she has fallen off a bit since her "Porky's" days, still... not too shabby for a 50-some year old woman!

S&TC is a show about three hookers and their mom. I'm glad Matthew Broderick is able to service that heap of bones, but SJP is revolting to me.
hahahahahahahahahaha SJP is superhein...

thebigjimsho
05-26-08, 10:34 PM
Cate Blanchett was great as the psycho KGB agent.

I hate her. And this movie did nothing to dispel that feeling.

I VANT TO KNOW!!! Yuck.

77CDV
05-27-08, 01:23 AM
Saw it today. I thought it was about as good as the first IJ movie, but not as good as Crusades. Remember that the IJ movies were Spielberg's take on the old 1930's Saturday serials (think Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, Hopalong Cassidy...google them if you're too young to know what I'm taking about). If you've ever seen any of those, the whole ethos of the IJ movies makes a lot more sense. They're harmless popcorn escapism with no redeeming social value beyond momentary entertainment. Just the way I like my movies.

dwight.j.carter
05-27-08, 01:15 PM
I saw it last night and I would say it was better than I thought it would be. I still like Raiders Of The Lost Ark the best. I thought it was neat how they incorporated things from it into the new one. Like Mariam and seeing the ark in the warehouse at the begining.

The Tony Show
05-27-08, 02:19 PM
I hate her. And this movie did nothing to dispel that feeling.

I VANT TO KNOW!!! Yuck.

It's not any worse than "WE.... ARE GOING .....TO DIE!" from Temple of Doom.

Destroyer
05-27-08, 04:27 PM

Temple of Doom was awful. Tried to watch it a few days ago and couldn't. That bad. I'll wait for the the new one to come out on DVD.:cool2:

77CDV
05-27-08, 11:09 PM

Is that what Kate Capshaw kept screeching hysterically? Of course, she spent most of the movie screeching, so after a while I stopped paying attention.

CadillacGurl
05-28-08, 09:56 AM
I saw it on memorial day. It was ok... the ending sucked- mainly the reason about the crystal skulls... :gah: I would state my reasoning but I don't want to spoil the ending. But my question is, will Shia now take over the Indiana Jones from here on out and Ford be the dad like Connery??

I do agree about the CGI and blue/green screens. The whole monkey scene I agree with.

Also I like that Marion (the actress that played her) came back and reprized her role.

tenmark
05-28-08, 10:11 AM
I liked it ok but it "jumped the shark" with the whole Alien connection. At least for me, it should have been there as nod or allusion. But it was just way too much.

Did you notice any familiar shots? Looked a lot like America Graffiti, Close Encounters, AI, Poltergeist, The Dual, and Raiders thrown in to me. The Norman Rockwelle-like 50s shots of the diner and chase scene will surely be a hit with the baby boomers. Where was all the smoke? Didn't anybody who's anybody smoke back then? Diner should have been foggy with it. Boy, how we like to glamorize the past.

I'm still a big Indy fan. I likrd the movie, just not as much as I'd hoped to.

Anyhow, my dad's got a 49 Ford. Nice ones can be bought anywhere from $6,500 to $12,000. Here's me and my wife out with his a few years back.

The Tony Show
05-28-08, 01:01 PM
Is that what Kate Capshaw kept screeching hysterically? Of course, she spent most of the movie screeching, so after a while I stopped paying attention.

No, that line was screamed by Indiana when he was trapped in the spike ceiling room with Short Round.

I think Kate Capshaw's lines in the script were all, "Eeeeeeeeee! Aaaahhhhhhhh! Eeeeeee!! Wuhaaaaaaaeeeee!!"