: Brake Questions

Caddydude420
05-22-08, 03:59 AM
a. What's the average life expectancy for brakes on our trucks? 10k? 20K? 30K 60K? You generally don't do pads and rotors at the same time right? I know it depends on driving and if their warped, but what a ball park figure? A rotors should survive 2 sets of pads? 1 set? 5 sets?
I have 70k miles on my truck. The rotors and pads were replaced around 55k miles. They are squealing like a pig now. When I had my rims (24s) taken off last winter I had them check the brakes and they said there's probably 50 percent left on the pads(That was 5-8K miles ago)
A tip the Mercedes dealer told my dad was to go 30 mph and slam on the breaks and repeat that 3 or 4 times. The squealing went away - but only for 30 minutes. I checked the rotor and it seems like the groove has gotten fairly deep.

I would like to go to a +1 kit, but I need to use my winter 17s. I have an expense acct through work. I can either have the shop doing all the brake repairs with standard OEM stuff, or I can get rotors and pads and do it myself. Will I notice a difference if I go with slotted, drilled, or slotted and drilled rotors? Ive read that drilled create cold spots on the rotors and they tend to crack easier. Some say that the slots wear the pads a lot more and tend to squeal. Others say that drilled and slotted are godly and OEM suck. :bonkers:

I'm tempted to go with these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories___CADILLAC-ESCALADE-02-06-DRILLED-SLOT-BRAKE-ROTORS-PADS_W0QQitemZ260240676713QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20Acce ssoriesQQddiZ2811QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260240676 713&
$300 for slotted and drilled front and rear rotors with semi metallic pads. They're manufactured by an ISO certified factory. I think some other auctions have ceramic pads for another $50 or so. They just cause less brake dust, correct?

I've already checked out this thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-1999/133802-anybody-ever-use-ebay-brake-kits.html

One of the recommendations was to go with a quality brand like EBC. Some of the reviews for EBC brakes complained of squealing - which I definetly don't want. The Cryo rotors seem to be top notch.

I found some Cryo rotors on ebay for $250 for front and rear (no pads though)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320252531026&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=011

Any recommendations for pads? I've read Hawk pads are pretty good. Should I go with the HPS or Ceramic?

hcvone
05-22-08, 09:12 AM
When you put larger wheels and tires on it beats the hell out of your brakes and front end parts, the 02' to 06' Escalade's even had smaller brakes than the 07's to 09's. My 03' Escalade when I got rid of it had 37k on the stock brake pads, there was just under 1/3 of the pads left at that time, or course your brake wear will depending on your driving, and where you live i.e. lots of hills or mountain or flat areas. The 30 mph panic stops is what you do to seat the brakes when first installed, if you are getting a squeal the 30 mph panic stops can make it worse. I have had Baer and Stillen drilled and slotted rotors on my last 5 Corvette's and many grand cherokee's and suburban's, never cracked a rotor, have seen some cracked at track events, but that is because the rotor were so hot they were glowing. Ceramic pads usually squeal less, make much less dust, last longer, but do not stop as well as a Hawk HPS pad.

Caddydude420
06-12-08, 12:51 AM
Were your Baer and Stillen rotors the same sized as stock or did you go bigger? If they were the same size, did you notice a difference? Did they cause more brake dust or squeals? Did they decrease the life of your pads noticably?

I'm trying to find out if the drilled and slotted rotors (stock sized) are worth the headache and giving up my time.

hcvone
06-12-08, 08:25 AM
Were your Baer and Stillen rotors the same sized as stock or did you go bigger? If they were the same size, did you notice a difference? Did they cause more brake dust or squeals? Did they decrease the life of your pads noticably?

I'm trying to find out if the drilled and slotted rotors (stock sized) are worth the headache and giving up my time.

Baer's were Eradispeed +1 (bigger than stock) and the Stillen's were stock size, the Stillen's in stock size stopped better because of the pads I used, but made a ton more dust, but no noise, you have to follow the rotor/pad break in process, that will keep your pads from squealing. It the trade off for having to stop larger wheels.