: Compressed Natural Gas

97DevilleBeige
05-22-08, 12:46 AM
Hello everybody,
I was wondering if it's possible to convert my 97 Standard DeVille to run on compressed natural gas? Anybody hear anything on this? I'm not too worried with cost, I'd do it to have a positive effect on the environment over saving money. I know the Crown Victoria can be converted, so I was curious. I'd want to have a dual fuel setup where I can switch back from one fuel type to the other. I know i'd have to have a tank in the trunk for the cng. Any input would be great.

Edahall
05-22-08, 01:51 PM
Yes it's possible. If it can be done on a Crown Victoria, it can be done on a Deville however, it is not commonly done like on a Crown Vic.

dkozloski
05-23-08, 01:45 AM
I did a google search on "CNG auto conversions" and got 35,000 hits.
Google is your friend.

97DevilleBeige
05-23-08, 02:01 AM
Yeah.. thanks for the google suggestion, tried that first. I was hoping somebody here had first hand experience.

atikovi
05-25-08, 10:46 PM
The Crown Vic's were factory installs, I had an '03 a couple years ago. If you want a luxury car with CNG it's probably much easier converting a Town Car with parts from a wrecked Crown Vic since the engines would be the same. I hear CNG in Utah is like 70 cents a gallon!

sassanach
05-26-08, 04:56 PM
very rare to see a car on cng over here,much more common to see lpg,my own sts runs on lpg.

Edahall
05-26-08, 06:28 PM
The drawback of CNG is the high pressures which requires heavy tanks that take up precious trunk space. Also, the added weight adds wear and tear to a car and makes it inappropriate for cars that don't have much power to spare. It is also difficult to find stations that'll fill your car and the pumps that you can install at home take 12 hours or more to pump up your fuel tank. The pumps also cost in the neighborhood of $4 so it'll take time to make a return on investment. However, at $4.50 per gallon I'm paying in CA and at $1 per gallon for CNG, it would not take long to be ahead.

sassanach
05-26-08, 07:03 PM
$11.23 here for petrol $4.85 for lpg bearing in mind that a british "imperial" gallon is 20% larger than an american gallon

dhern
09-13-08, 10:28 PM
I asked How can I convert my 2000 Cadillac Eldorado ETC to CNG, where do I find the KIT to do that.

Submariner409
09-14-08, 10:23 AM
dhern, Welcome Aboard !!! Read Post #3. Obviously no one in here has done it, so there's no kit info.

dkozloski
09-16-08, 04:44 PM
The big sticker is that there are no EPA approved kits available so you can drive it on your farm but not on the highway.