: Proper A/C Recharge Pressure Spec?

RickyHenry
05-22-08, 12:01 AM
hi,

I'm trying to recharge my a/c after having to remove the condenser several times. I bought a can of r134a and am using that. The factory service manual advises I should read the instructions that come with some tool they recommend for recharging the A/C so it's not in there.

Currently, I'm starting the car, turning the A/C on to max possible (60degrees).

I plug in the canned r134a with a pressure gauge on it... when the a/c compressor comes on, the gauge is reading around 25, when the compressor turns off, it reads around 60 - 70. The compressor will come on for about 10 seconds then turn off for about 10 seconds and continually repeat... is this normal for this car?

Thanks!

P.S. I have no codes currently.

eldorado1
05-22-08, 01:11 AM
If you opened the system and allowed it to get to 0psi, then there is air in the lines. The air has to be removed by vacuum pump at a shop before it can be refilled. Otherwise it won't work very well. It's normal to get higher readings when the compressor cycles off. You want to take the readings when it is on (the 25psi).

Ranger
05-22-08, 10:02 AM
To add to what Eldorado said, yes it is normal for the compressor to cycle on and off.

tateos
05-22-08, 05:36 PM
Those #s sound about right - what are the ambient temp and the high side #s?

Rafterd
05-24-08, 11:21 PM
The compressor will cycle more often till the high side pressure reaches spec. which is dependend on outside ambient temp and how much r134 is in the system. And the really neet part, if the system has alowed outside air in, which also contains moisture, and is not vacumed out, just about the time the system reaches the full pressure, the whole compressor LOCKS UP!! Belts squeel, engines die, all because of one tiny droplet of condenced moisture that has frozen in the orifice tube. Scares the crap out of ya.

BD