: Volant or K&N?

TheCaddyKidd
05-21-08, 09:17 PM
Ok. Well originally I had a volant intake on my truck.. i was about to sell my truck os i took everything out and sold it but now decided to keep the truck.. i plan on putting an intake back in and back to the original question of which to go with.. i read some old posts and saw that a member had a lot of noise with the K&N due to the highway hills.. however around here there isnt much hill driving at highway speeds.. just wondering if some guys could chime in that have the K&N and give some input.. thanks

Rolex
05-21-08, 10:11 PM
Sorry I didn't get back to you. My only issue with the K&N was its noise. For me a luxury SUV was supposed to be big, powerful, and quiet. When you put on a K&N the quiet goes out the window in favor of a performance sound. I'm told the Volant is better.

Volant FTW.

JD001249
05-22-08, 08:04 AM
I am a fan of the volant, I have used it in 2 trucks now, my Escalade and Denali. It is quiet until you get into it, but I like the loud moan it makes. For normal everyday driving I do not notice a noise difference from when it was stock. I would really like to install a RAM Air hood to allow more cool airflow into it... I doubt I can pass that one past the wife... :)

hcvone
05-22-08, 08:14 AM
I had K&N FIPK and the Volant on my 03', could not take the drone from the K&N and switched to Volant, I have Volant on both 07's, and will get another for sure. :)

TheCaddyKidd
05-22-08, 09:26 PM
can you guys elaborate on the drone noise? is it a constant sound? just when you get on it? how loud would you say it is? i mean i currently have an exhaust that has some interior noise and its not bad.. i like the rumble sound however when driving on the highway i like the hold on conversations.. is it that loud where it interferes with convos?

Rolex
05-22-08, 09:51 PM
I've owned K&N and Injen CAIs. The Injen in my current vehicle is quiet while driving around town and becomes loud under hard acceleration. I understand that's the way the Volant behaves.

The K&N's noise was almost constant. During a trip through the Arkansas Ozark Mountains (big hills) the noise from the K&N actually gave me a headache. Under hard acceleration and hill climbing it's unbearable IMO. But the intake howl/drone was contsant. More noise does not always equal more power where CAIs are concerned.

JD001249
05-22-08, 11:12 PM
My volant is quiet until you get a bit into the throttle around 2500 RPM, just before it shifts to a higher gear. It sounds great to me, I like to hear it resonate in the cab. But, everyday cruising it is just as quiet as factory.

CAD-E!
05-28-08, 07:47 PM
i just got a AEM brute force and the sound is not so bad, but im guessing its almost like the volant it gets loud when you step on it.