: Quadraphonic or stereo that is the question

Chicano-Mexicano
05-21-08, 05:20 PM
I was wondering if I should spend the extra bucks on a multi-channel amp for my car when basically every CD and cassette I own (and ever will) is in simple stereo and seeing that Quadraphonic CDs (or cassettes for that matter) will probably never surface in my or anyones life time I was just wondering what is the better buy. (bonus points if you know what the hell quadraphonic is and what decade gave it to us)

treetop
05-21-08, 09:06 PM
Car audio and quadraphonic sound have nothing to do with each other.

Chicano-Mexicano
05-22-08, 06:17 AM
Car audio and quadraphonic sound have nothing to do with each other.

Ok whey your talking about multi-channel amps usually a 4-channel amp is the most common type of multi-channel in a car and quadraphonic sound is a system that uses and this is key now 4 independent channels as apposed to say 2 channels. So basically what I was asking is their any point to buying a 4-channel (Quadraphonic) amp for my cars new system if I'm really only going to use 2 of those four channels becasue every modern audio medium is recorded in either stereo or dual mono (meaning same audio track on both channels) and I guess I basically answered my own question unless someone know a plus to having a multi-channel amp (4-channels) beside that each speaker gets its own discreet channel which from what I know about stereo and Quadraphonic sound is only beneficial when you have audio medium that has 4 independent audio tracks.

caddeville89
05-25-08, 04:59 PM
See if you can get an SACD player. These are the only true quadraphonic CD's produced, and there are a limited number. Unless you want a quadraphonic turntable in your car...

Chicano-Mexicano
05-25-08, 08:44 PM
See if you can get an SACD player. These are the only true quadraphonic CD's produced, and there are a limited number. Unless you want a quadraphonic turntable in your car...

Not worth the price and hassle especially seeing as you can't really by 4 channel recorded CD's at say a bestbuy and most car head units are simple 2 channel so I'm just going to by a simple stereo amplifier since it's more affordable and logical. So ROCK AND ROLL!

caddeville89
05-25-08, 10:46 PM
Hola Chicano,

I dunno how much research you did on SACD, but a little Googling revealed some head units for around $250, which is about as much as a decent regular head unit (i.e...not available at Wal-Mart). And you don't have to convert your CD's if you don't want to; the head units will play regular CD's as well. Of course, SACD's are pretty expensive......anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there for the benefit of the forum.

Chicano-Mexicano
05-26-08, 07:03 AM
Hola Chicano,

I dunno how much research you did on SACD, but a little Googling revealed some head units for around $250, which is about as much as a decent regular head unit (i.e...not available at Wal-Mart). And you don't have to convert your CD's if you don't want to; the head units will play regular CD's as well. Of course, SACD's are pretty expensive

Yeah I know their are some cheap ones but that like say "hey why should I pay $999.00 for a Sansui QRX series receiver when I can get a quadraphonic receiver from radio shack for $450.00" I mean yes the Radio Shack receiver is Quadraphonic but how long is it going to hold up compared to the Sansui, In my opinion you not gonna get a decent SACD head unit for $250 especially when a "cheap" Marantz unit is around $750 and even the poor mans unit (a sony) is $350 cheaper but when you have a budget of $500-$600 dollars your head unit can't be half your budget and the biggest problem is the lack of SACDs it's the same story with Quadrphonic records in the 70's mainly classical music and jazz very little heavy metal and classic rock.

I mean maybe if the get:
Alcatrazz
Gorky Park
Scorpions
Van Halen
Thin Lizzy
Boston
Judas Priest
The Jimi Hendrix Experience
The Doors
Metal Church
Aria
Blessed Death
Hellion
Annihilator
Razor
Anthrax
Ted Nugent
Queen
Stevie Ray
Alice Cooper
Rush
Pink Floyd (other than Dark Side of the Moon)
Kiss
Great White
and I think you get my point. Cause until they get a wider variety of music its not gonna catch on.

caddeville89
05-26-08, 12:25 PM
Yah, I think compared to 5.1, people feel it's a gimmick, especially considering the price of anything SACD from the unit to the music itself. Most Rock sounds just fine on a normal stereo, and most SACD's are classical. Let us know what you end up going with!

Chicano-Mexicano
05-26-08, 02:43 PM
Well I've got my system picked out and these components seem to be more or less what I'm looking for.

Head Unit: Kenwood DPX302 $199.00 (was going to get a Cd/tape deck but their in the $200-$300 range :hmm:)
(http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=18019)
Speakers Front: 5-1/4" 2-Way 60W Nakamichi SP-C522 $45.00
(http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=15582)
Speakers Rear: 6"x9" 2-Way 110W Nakamichi SP-C692 $59.00
(http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=15584)
Amp: 2-Channel 600 Watts Absolute ABS9030VF $99.00 (I like the old school View meters)
(http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=17237)
Subs:12" 300W 4-Ohm Subwoofer Kicker 07C12-4 $69.00 (cause I really need only one)
(http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=17404)
Total price: $467.00
Hours of fun spent blasting Wind of Change with new system: Priceless! :cool: