: Third Generation F-Bodies.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-21-08, 12:41 PM
Ok, so my best friend's little brother is looking to buy his first car, a third gen Camaro. He needs to have a V-8, stick shift and he has a limit of about $4,000. What do you recommend? What is the best year? What are common issues on these? Does the Camaro hold any distinct advantages over the Firebird, or visa-versa? He will not purchase a Firebird...it has to be a Camaro, mainly because he likes the way the Camaro looks more.

In that price range, he's pretty much stuck to a pre '87 with the 4bbl 305 right? Is it possible to get a TPI (or heck, even a TBI) motor? He found a decent '82 Z-28 yesterday with an Edelbrock carburator (sp?) for $2750, but if it were me, I'd hold out for atleast an '87 with the TPI 350...

Anyways, just looking for an experience, recommendations, opinions, etc etc....

Lord Cadillac
05-21-08, 01:19 PM
The body style changed slightly in 1985. There's no advantage to the Camaro over the Firebird. A carburetor may be easier to maintain than an old fuel injected f-body. He'd probably end-up having to replace all the fuel injectors in a short matter of time. I think the carb would be cheaper. They're all as slow as shit in today's world...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-21-08, 01:22 PM
Yeah, I know man! The '82 Z-28 with the 4bbl carb was rated at 145hp and 240 lb/ft. :eek: I found a 0-60 and 1/4 mile time.....0-60 in 9.7 and the 1/4 mile in 17.5. :holycrapthatispathetic: My 4500 lb, six cylinder powered Benz is dramatically faster than that!

AMGoff
05-21-08, 01:34 PM
Well... he doesn't need to have that exact configuration and let him know plain and simple that he's going to kill himself looking for it... especially in that price range.

You know what's making it all the more difficult, right? It's that he "has" to have a V8 with a 5-speed... In the grand scheme of Camaro production, they weren't all that common... and the ones that are still around are becoming somewhat collectible. I have no clue what the yokels of MN have sitting out in their front yards... but as far as the dealers go, these two are the cheapest I could find within 200 miles of St. Paul:

1989, Red Coupe, V8/5sp.. 68K miles... $4995 (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=243729146&dealer_id=622982&car_year=1989&model=CAM&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=8+Cylinder&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=200&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=CHEV&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=55101&advanced=y&end_year=2009&doors=&transmission=Manual&max_price=&cardist=70)

1984, Red Couple, V8/5sp w/95K for same $4995 (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=240522346&dealer_id=622982&car_year=1984&model=CAM&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=8+Cylinder&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=200&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=CHEV&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=55101&advanced=y&end_year=2009&doors=&transmission=Manual&max_price=&cardist=70)

Were he to take either the V8 or the 5-speed out of the equation, his available choices would shoot up. I can (sorta) understand why such a young kid would want a manual... but has anyone explained to him that gas is close to $4/gal and rising?? Does he really need a V8?? Just as an example, that same dealer that has those two other 80s Camaros, has a '99 listed for the same price as the other two... except it has a V6 and a 5-speed:

1999 Green Coupe, V6/5sp, 95K miles for $4995 (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=240522339&dealer_id=622982&car_year=1999&model=CAM&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=200&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=CHEV&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=55101&advanced=y&end_year=2009&doors=&transmission=Manual&max_price=&cardist=70)

If nothing else... why the hell would he want to mess with a carb?? Carbs are okay on a second or third "fun" car... but not as a daily driver... especially in 2008!

The boy needs some friendly, but stern advice Chad... tell him he's being stupid - but in a loving, friendly way... you'll save him a lot of misery!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-21-08, 01:54 PM
Yeah, he isn't the brightest kid, his brother and sister are real smart, but he's got some sort of a learning disability or something....idk. He's always wanted a third gen Camaro, and he's gonna get one. His parents don't mind either, because in all actuality, it would be his second car...he's got an old Sable for a beater. If it were me, I'd hold out for the TPI version, because I don't wanna deal with the lack of power and hassle of a carb.

But holy crap are these ****ing things overpriced! $5,000 for a 24 year old V8 Camaro!

Destroyer
05-21-08, 02:15 PM
The 5.7 never came with a 5 speed, automatics only. I had several 3rd and 4rth gen Camaros and Trans Ams. The Irocs were definately the best of the 3rd gens and I can find them well within his price range even with a 350. One of my favorite cars was my '88 Iroc Convertible with the 220hp 305/auto/3.42 gears. Not super fast but it kept up with stock 5.0 Mustangs most of the time.

Known issues are weak rear ends and the TPI motors like to go through intake gaskets, otherwise pretty reliable. They are made real cheaply inside so he should expect lots of rattles and squeaks and so forth.

Lord Cadillac
05-21-08, 02:57 PM
You're not kidding about the cheapness of the interior. I loved those cars but the interiors were horrific. Nicer in the Firebirds - a little...

Night Wolf
05-21-08, 03:29 PM
Personally a 5spd would be a must, and as was mentioned, due to price and avaliblity, not to mention the gas prices, unless I really wanted a spare fun car, I'd get the V6, I'd choose that '99 that was listed for the same price over either of the 3rd gens.

Destroyer
05-21-08, 03:29 PM
You're not kidding about the cheapness of the interior. I loved those cars but the interiors were horrific. Nicer in the Firebirds - a little...Actually the T/A's were a bit better but like you said, not much. I do like the look of the T/A dash better but the Z28 did get a better dash treatment in '90 or '91.

Lord Cadillac
05-21-08, 04:21 PM
I had a 1985 Camaro V6, a 1987 Camaro Z28 with a Corvette drive train, a 1988 Firebird Formula 305 and a 1990 Trans Am 305...

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
05-21-08, 05:17 PM
He will not purchase a Firebird...it has to be a Camaro, mainly because he likes the way the Camaro looks more.

And that is why the Camaro is overpriced. You will pay $1-2K more for the exact same car if it says Camaro on the back instead of Firebird. Definitely go with a TPI motor. Much more power and they have more modern features. My friend's '87 Z28 IROC has 4-wheel disks and a posi rear end (definitely comes in handy with that engine :D). His has 114,000 on the clock but the engine was rebuilt about 20,000 miles ago. It is fully loaded. Leather, Bose radio and just about every option that was available on these cars. He got his for $3k.

I like that '89 IROC that was listed above by AMGoff. The IROCs came with the hood louvers. Although they don't function, they make the car look a hell of a lot better. T-Tops are also a must have.

There is a guy down the street from me selling a black '92 Camaro convertible with the 305 in it. It has 90,000 miles and he wants $3500 for it. It has never seen snow and has been garaged all its life. If he feels like making the trip down here to get it, its a great car. It has been well taken care of.

nickc50310
05-21-08, 05:20 PM
I had a 1985 Camaro V6, a 1987 Camaro Z28 with a Corvette drive train, a 1988 Firebird Formula 305 and a 1990 Trans Am 305...

And a mullett I hope to accompany that list of cars!! :histeric:

HEHE!!

I actually looked at getting an 85 Iroc when I was 16.

Lord Cadillac
05-21-08, 05:51 PM
Even the Z28 had hood louvers starting in 1985.. Yeah, I had long hair back in those days. Not a mullet, though. Long all over.. Bon Jovi long. That's different..

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-21-08, 05:52 PM
I'll have to buy my friend some Bon Jovi if he buys the car....for the authentic Camaro feel...

nickc50310
05-21-08, 08:42 PM
I had a mullett from like 89 to 92

Destroyer
05-21-08, 09:26 PM
Even the Z28 had hood louvers starting in 1985.. Yeah, I had long hair back in those days. Not a mullet, though. Long all over.. Bon Jovi long. That's different..
Didn't we all?. Those were the days....................

Lord Cadillac
05-21-08, 09:44 PM
Didn't we all?. Those were the days....................
Indeed.. You're still not a member on www.80sxchange.com/forums/ are you?

dkozloski
05-21-08, 10:04 PM
I had a mullett from like 89 to 92
I thought only ignorant hillbillies had mullets. It just goes to show that it was everybody ignorant had mullets.

nickc50310
05-21-08, 11:29 PM
I thought only ignorant hillbillies had mullets. It just goes to show that it was everybody ignorant had mullets.

I was like 8 years old......

Am I the only person that thought this post was mildly offensive?

Lord Cadillac
05-22-08, 12:42 AM

His second sentence doesn't make sense to me so I don't know.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-22-08, 10:18 AM
I had a mullet in like '90 and '91. I was 3-4 years old, and it was the trend back then.

LS1Mike
05-22-08, 10:22 AM
I had a TPI Corvette (spoke L98 or L9B for the 350 in the F-body) it was very reliable. If I were that dude, and I am not I would just get a 4th gen V6 5 speed for that much money.

MauiV
05-22-08, 11:00 AM
When I was 16 I had a new 89 black Formula 350. I liked the interior much better than a Z28 at the time but it is still pretty sparse. I was torn between the Formula and a burnt orange IROC at the time. I actually later wished I had gotten the IROC because it was such a rare color with matching IROC rims. 20 years ago I had a mullett too and obviously didnt know any better. Now my love for Camaros stops at 1969. I do like the Bandit era Trans Ams with the Screaming Chickin hood. I also like the 1989 Turbo TA but more because of the engine than the car. After that I find them redneckmobiles just like Rustangs. Sure you can make them fast and parts are plentiful but it doesnt change what they are.

The Formula 350 and GTAs IMO are much better looking than the IROC and not nearly as common.

Make sure he gets a big gold chain to go with the mullett and the Bon Jovi.

dkozloski
05-22-08, 11:06 AM

It was meant to be.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-22-08, 11:10 AM
I always preferred the 3rd gen Firebird to the Camaro, mainly due to the sleeker exterior design and those cool "turbo II" wheels, but I am starting to appreciate the third gen Camaro more nowadays too. Back when I was like 15, I wanted a Z28/Formula/Trans Am for my first car, and it had to be atleast an '87 with the TPI 350, but my dad said no because I'd get speeding tickets right and left, and he was right there, but I still think it would be cheap fun.

nickc50310
05-22-08, 01:05 PM
It was meant to be.

Well thanks for clearing that up. Pound sand!

AMGoff
05-22-08, 02:11 PM
The only Camaro I ever owned was one that I never even bought... When we first got married, the wife had a '91 RS convertible with the "little" 5.0L... (I think it was the L08 in the RSs). It was white with a black top... and it was a really sharp looking car. Had I known back then that these old third-gen Camaros would eventually start reaching "collectors" status, I would have tried to hand on to it!

Those '91-'92, final runs were my favorites of all the third gen Camaros... I liked what they did with the front-end redesign on those. And I didn't think the interiors on those last ones were all that bad... but I will agree that the earlier ones from the 80s were atrocious!

The fact remains though, if I were going to get one that had to be a 5-speed... it would definitely be one of the later 4th-gens with a V6.

Destroyer
05-22-08, 05:37 PM
Indeed.. You're still not a member on www.80sxchange.com/forums/ are you?
Cool site, I wont feel my age in there will I?.:shhh:

Lord Cadillac
05-22-08, 06:49 PM
Cool site, I wont feel my age in there will I?.:shhh:
Nope. :p

MauiV
05-23-08, 01:50 AM
I finally saw a Camaro tonight I would own. There was a small cruise in with some local guys at a metal works shop and the guys that run the place are taking 2002 Camaro Convertibles and removing the front and rear clips, leaving only the doors. They then install 1968 Camaro SS body fenders, quarters hood and trunk. When I first potted it I couldnt figure out what was wrong but the windshield was definitely wrong. I has WAY to much slope to be a 68 but it still looked decent..

The interior was black leather with the white and black houndstooth inserts. The dash is still fairly cheap GM/Rubbermaid/Fisher Price but they cleaned it up pretty well. Ill try to get a pic next time Im out there or if I can find one that someone took.

Highline Cady
05-23-08, 04:57 AM
I was a big F-body fan, back when it was cool, just kidding, I still like them, I just wouldn't own one now... Well I'd like a Firehawk. Anyway, I've owned a bunch of screaming chickens. If you are looking for a good one, in that age bracket, you have to get an auto. Those were the only ones to get the TPI 350's. And that by far would be the one's your friend would want. 87 I rocs was the fastest year of the I roc, 89 Firebird Formulas were the fastest years of those body styles. The GTA was also much better looking than either because of the ground effect package but heavier so generally slower. The interior is superior in the Pontiacs, especially the gauges. The 5L 5 speed tpi's were quick but would get there ass handed to them by any of the auto tuned port 350's (stock for stock). Those cars are old now, so any that you might buy will have to be well inspected, and should have lots of replacement parts by know, or should be able to be picked up real cheap if repairs are necessary.

I personally would steer your friend towards a little newer 93-94-95, I had a 95 loaded TA auto, and that car was a bunch of fun and still even by todays standards would be considered pretty quick, stock. There is so much you can do, relatively cheap, to those, to go fast.

Lord Cadillac
05-23-08, 09:59 AM
I finally saw a Camaro tonight I would own. There was a small cruise in with some local guys at a metal works shop and the guys that run the place are taking 2002 Camaro Convertibles and removing the front and rear clips, leaving only the doors. They then install 1968 Camaro SS body fenders, quarters hood and trunk. When I first potted it I couldnt figure out what was wrong but the windshield was definitely wrong. I has WAY to much slope to be a 68 but it still looked decent..

The interior was black leather with the white and black houndstooth inserts. The dash is still fairly cheap GM/Rubbermaid/Fisher Price but they cleaned it up pretty well. Ill try to get a pic next time Im out there or if I can find one that someone took.
That does sound very interesting!

Brett
05-23-08, 10:34 AM

No IROC?:getaway:

Lord Cadillac
05-23-08, 11:49 AM
No IROC?:getaway:
Sadly, I never had an Iroc-Z. My "Corvette" powered 87 was faster than all of them (had the NON detuned L98) - but I always wanted an Iroc.. In the end, I had a beautiful white 1990 Trans Am and that was a pretty cool car..

Highline Cady
05-23-08, 08:32 PM
I had a 78 TA w/ the Pontiac 400, not the Olds 403, they switched mid year to the crappy 403. 87 TA 4brl carb auto, 87 TPI 350 Nitrous aided GTA, 91 TBI 5L Firebird, 95 TA, they were all fun cars in their own right, in their own time. Although the coolest pre-2000 car I owned was a tie. 91 GMC Syclone (barely modded) and my 93 Mustang Cobra. The Syclone was just a crap load of fun because barely anybody knows what they are and it was just hilarious blowing the doors off of C5's when they came out, in a pickup, the Cobra was just a slick car all around but it was rather heavily modified and really not street friendly it was way too much of a cop magnet, to loud, to fast, to noticeable but chicks loved it, yes it was red. LOL

CadillacSTS42005
05-24-08, 10:27 AM
as long as you avoid Crossfire
youll be ok...

this is my old 83 TA
she got traded in on my 03 STS
_8-Ktycva-Y

it was shameful having my sister slaughter me with my own ETC

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-24-08, 04:42 PM
Man I gotta tell ya, I've been having a rough day, issues at work with a few tickets today, things didn't pan out with this chick I met, etc etc, but after taking a customer's '96 Z-28 out for a quick spin at work.....I came back with a huge grin on my face and all problems were forgotten. :) :cool2:

I could definitely get used to that.... :rockon:

CadillacSTS42005
05-24-08, 05:25 PM
LT1
optispark
big no no

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-24-08, 06:45 PM
Interestingly enough, he came in for a water pump. And he was out the door $623 later.... :eek: And that was at a discounted labor rate....it came out to about $730, but I had to match another dealer's price otherwise I felt I would lost the customer.

No doubt, the LS-1 is the better engine for many reasons....The simpler ignition system, it's got more horsepower and more torque, it's made of aluminum so it's lighter and better balanced, it's got better fuel economy. But I like the way the LT-1 Camaros looked more, mainly due to the fact they had recessed headlights in those black nacelles...the LS-1 Camaros had flush mounted headlights, which kinda took away from the distinctiveness of the design. And with the fourth generation, I definitely prefer the Camaro to the Firebird. The Camaro always looked more straightforward to me...more American, more masculine. The last gen Firebirds always looked kinda feminine to me, and the popup headlights never worked as well on those as they did the 1982-92's, and then when they added the LS-1s, they added all those gawdawful hood nostrils. Ugh!

CadillacSTS42005
05-24-08, 07:12 PM
i think the LT1 had a better torque curve as in more straight than the LS1
i could be very wrong there though...

Highway Star
05-25-08, 11:43 AM
I owned a '91 Trans Am convertible for 15 years. My take on 3rd gen F-bodies is they are flimsy. Take a look at the sheetmetal surrounding the outside door handle area on 3rd gens and you'll see shallow dents because the metal is so paper thin. The car had horrible panel gaps, could stick my finger in many of them. Interior was rather cramped. The car looked quite cool though. The best thing about my Bird was it made me want a real car again, which ended up being a '79 Caddy.

hueterm
05-25-08, 10:34 PM
I was always partial to Trans Ams only (at the time) -- especially a Trans Am GTA from the late '80s. In essence...this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-PONTIAC-TRANS-AM-GTA-5SPD-T-TOPS-LOW-MILES-305-TPI_W0QQitemZ220235726103QQihZ012QQcategoryZ6427QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I LOVE those gold honeycomb wheels...

Never much cared for Camaros/IROCs or Mustangs from the time.

LS1Mike
05-26-08, 10:15 AM
LT1
optispark
big no no

Opti Spark is fine, if you remeber it is a Distributor and requires maintenance just like one.
I have had two Opti spark vechicles and they were fine both of them had them last right into the 120,000 mile range. At that point I replaced the water pump and the opti to the tune of 500 bucks. They can be rebuilt.
You can get all the standard parts for them that you can get for a normal distributor.

LS1Mike
05-26-08, 10:19 AM
i think the LT1 had a better torque curve as in more straight than the LS1
i could be very wrong there though...

You are wrong but that is ok. They are almost the same.
http://images.google.com/url?q=http://homepage.mac.com/jakerobb/camaro/dyno.jpg&usg=AFQjCNHQPwfiA4AobeUAJz447z4JZWA5lg
Bone stock 02 F-body

http://www.ericohlsen.com/FBODY/CamaroDyno.jpg
Bone Stock 98 Z28

http://www.lt1.net/images/Firehawk/dynoall3AF.jpg
bone stock LT4firehawk

http://www.lt1.net/images/vette/c4dyno.jpg
92 LT1 vette

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-26-08, 12:22 PM
At normal dealer pricing, the Distributor/Water Pump on an LT-1 is expensive, and the process is a PITA, but aside from that, the LT-1 is pretty much bulletproof. I could definitely live with the LT-1 and shell out $1,000 for the W/P & Optispark at one time and be good for another 100k + miles easily.

I just love the LT-1, everything about it. The reliability, the technology, the power, the usage, the fuel economy, the fact it was designed from the get-go for high performance applications.

Is there a big difference in the powerband between the LT-1 and TPI 350? I heard that the TPI has a lot of low end power, but dies up top...it can't be as bad as the TBI-350.....?

LS1Mike
05-26-08, 03:49 PM
At normal dealer pricing, the Distributor/Water Pump on an LT-1 is expensive, and the process is a PITA, but aside from that, the LT-1 is pretty much bulletproof. I could definitely live with the LT-1 and shell out $1,000 for the W/P & Optispark at one time and be good for another 100k + miles easily.

I just love the LT-1, everything about it. The reliability, the technology, the power, the usage, the fuel economy, the fact it was designed from the get-go for high performance applications.

Is there a big difference in the powerband between the LT-1 and TPI 350? I heard that the TPI has a lot of low end power, but dies up top...it can't be as bad as the TBI-350.....?

Ah but that shit is easy Chad, hardest part is getting the crank pulley off.
On an F-body you have to remove the electric fans, drain the radiator pull the hoses, pull the H20 pump, coil, crank pulley and Yaaah you are at the opti.
Now doing plugs and wires. That is the PITA on an F-body at least. The opti I can do in about 4 hours. Plugs and wires... I need about 8 hours!

The big difference besides reverse cooling of the LT1 is the intake.
You can buy the LT1 style intake for the L98 swap it out and make almost identical power numbers, but it is a pricey piece. The L98 (LB9 f-body style cast iron heads) Run out of air at about 4800 RPM with that runner design.
It is no where near as bad as a TBI 350. My bone stock 1991 Vert Vette went 13.90 at 100 mph with 100,xxx miles on it. Lots of low end torque.

Some people have swapped out the cam in their LT1 with a cam that will turn a traditional distributor and had the intake machined for it. Not real common though as it is pricey.
Here is a good article. I have actually rebuilt my own opti the only part you can't get is the optical sensor which "gasp" Mitsubishi made. They probably have a warehouse full of them if you can figure out the part number!:bouncy:
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/tech/0310htp_lt1_ignition_system_understanding_modifyin g/index.html

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-26-08, 09:56 PM
Mike, is the opti behind or in front of the w/p? I'm always surprised at how little room is under the hood of those LT-1 F-Bodies. The engine is wedged in there so tightly, and pushed so far back!

Now does the LT-1 use those long intake runners like the L98 does? Is there a big difference in the feel of the power between the L98 Z-28 and LT-1 Z-28? Is it a lot faster?

LS1Mike
05-26-08, 10:06 PM
It is behind the water pump and crank pulley. The water pump is funky as it runs of a gear drive driven by the cam. It has a "toothed coupling" that goes from a sprag on the water pump to a sprag on the engine side. Don't forget to put it in. Don't ask me how I know...:D
http://ourshop.us/pics/DSCF0400.jpg
LT1 intake

http://sethirdgen.org/images/tpi1.JPG
L98 Intake

http://shbox.com/ci/water_pump.jpg
This diagram says it all, piece 39 connects the H20 pump to the motor

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-26-08, 10:27 PM
The L98's intake is prettier, but the LT-1's intake is probably far more useful and modern.

The L98...is that your typical distributor setup or is that coil packs like the 3800? Why did they ever decide to go with that goofy optispark setup on the LT-1?

CadillacSTS42005
05-26-08, 10:40 PM
You are wrong but that is ok. They are almost the same.
http://images.google.com/url?q=http://homepage.mac.com/jakerobb/camaro/dyno.jpg&usg=AFQjCNHQPwfiA4AobeUAJz447z4JZWA5lg
Bone stock 02 F-body

http://www.ericohlsen.com/FBODY/CamaroDyno.jpg
Bone Stock 98 Z28

http://www.lt1.net/images/Firehawk/dynoall3AF.jpg
bone stock LT4firehawk

http://www.lt1.net/images/vette/c4dyno.jpg
92 LT1 vette

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

my bad
like i said i think wasnt sure lol
thanks for the heads up

LS1Mike
05-26-08, 10:41 PM
The L98 has a traditional distributor. Not sure why the LT1 went with the Opti. There are ways to use coil packs on the LT1, they eliminate the high voltage going through the opti and use the optical sesonor as a type of trigger for the coil packs. It really makes it more reliable, but not bullet proof. The optical sensor can still fail.
Moisture and high voltage are what kill it. You elimnate one, it helps.
http://www.delteq.com/opti_design.htm
Good page.
Also I believe the 95 and up Optis were vented which helped a lot. A popular upgrade for the earlier cars was to swap to the vented opti, but it requires changing a bunch of stuff like the timing chain cover.

This really makes me want to pick up a cheap LT1 car. The non vented opt is cheaper then the vented. I have owned both.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-26-08, 10:43 PM
I still can't stop thinking about driving that Z-28. :drool: Maybe in a few years, I could pick up a nice IROC or GTA for like four or five thousand dollars, preferably a post 1990 model, find a nice, clean low mileage example and have a great summer cruiser. But what about that classic Lincoln I always wanted...?

LS1Mike
05-26-08, 11:00 PM
http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/car/693646428.html
I would like to pick this up, guys says it runs like water in the gas and dosen't do it all the time. Classic opti faliure.
500 bucks and an afternoon wrenching and it would be good to go.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-10-08, 01:10 PM
UPDATE

My friend's brother bought a 1992 Camaro RS last night for $6500. It is in VERY good condition cosmetically and mechanically, has new tires, new brakes, 67k miles and the drivetrain is the "L03" TBI 305 V8 and 700R4 four speed automatic with the 2.73:1 final drive ratio. It is a black coupe with the T-Tops and it's got black cloth interior. It's not as quick as a Z-28 or IROC, but it's still a V8 Camaro, and I think that's all he really wanted.

I'll go see it tonight and grab some quick pics. :yup: I'm willing to race him too.. :lildevil:

Night Wolf
06-10-08, 01:29 PM
nice, sounds like he got one of the few remaining ones in actual good condition, though he did pay a price for it..... would hate to see it gets trashed by a new driver tho :(

tell ya now though, 305TBI + auto + 2.73 means it is slow. A friend in high school had one just like that, it was a convertible... nice car though, I liked it... I remember one day on a 4-lane road, we both had 3 people in our car at 50mph we both put it to the floor... thats when I had the '93 Coupe DeVille, that car flat out took off from the Camaro, heh, nobody in either car could believe it.

T-tops are real nice, but I've heard most all people have a problem with them leaking. You'll have to get pictures of it when you go.

Now you need to have him watch the Top Gear when they come to the US and get a car for under $1,000 and do their road trip... they have the '89 Fleetwood brougham, '90? RAM pickup and '91 Camaro... still one of the best Top Gear.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-10-08, 02:07 PM
He comes from a family that is anal about vehicle maintence and care, the car will not get trashed. You said your friend raced you at a 1/4 mile track once...you guys were both about a 16.1 or so right?

CTSV_Rob
06-10-08, 10:06 PM
Had a 1990 305 TBI firebird with a M5. I hope he doesn't have problems with it but I had troubles with mine smoking when you started it. Turns out they used o-rings for the valve guides and they wear out and start leaking oil into the cylinders. I have heard that shops would pull and rebuild the heads then put in the umbrella seals to prevent this from happening. There was also a cheap stroker kit for the engine that would bump up the Cubes a bit and didn't cost too much.

When the motor started smoking on mine it came out and then I installed a 350 out of a truck after I went through it and completely rebuilt it. Bumped up the compression, Lowered the rear end ratio, and other stuff then it was putting out about 350HP at the flywheel. Was a fun car then, I could break traction in third gear. :D

Hope he has fun with it.

The interior was kind of crappy

Night Wolf
06-10-08, 10:37 PM
He comes from a family that is anal about vehicle maintence and care, the car will not get trashed. You said your friend raced you at a 1/4 mile track once...you guys were both about a 16.1 or so right?

oh yeah, heh, I forgot all about that... Cory from the Grand Am site, that was durring our Albany, NY Grand Am meet.

Yeah, his was an RS, 305, auto IIRC, not a convertible, I remember he got a jump off the line but then we were pretty even, he did beat me, but not much, I think he got a 15.9 or 16.0 and I got a 16.1 as you mentioned... it was close tho, fastest I got in the Coupe was a 15.9, car wasn't running 100% at that time either, always wondered what it was fully capable of.

I used to have the video on my website, but that site is long gone now as I stopped paying for it...

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-10-08, 10:57 PM
T-tops are real nice, but I've heard most all people have a problem with them leaking. You'll have to get pictures of it when you go.

Now you need to have him watch the Top Gear when they come to the US and get a car for under $1,000 and do their road trip... they have the '89 Fleetwood brougham, '90? RAM pickup and '91 Camaro... still one of the best Top Gear.

A third gen Camaro looks retarded w/o the T-Tops. They make the car what it is, a total redneck rocket, and that's what I love about it. And yes, they do leak, but only when it rains really hard or if it is raining when you are driving at highway or greater speeds. Even my aunt's '98 Camaro has ones that leak. You'd think by then they would have figured it out.

That Top Gear was the best one EVER! I was laughing the entire episode. You can watch the entire thing on YouTube; just search Top Gear goes to America.

And this video is what Camaro's are all about:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tdegQmtgFSM&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tdegQmtgFSM&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

"hockers you could spit out of the T-top slits, drag racing beat any rice burneeeeer!"

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-11-08, 12:27 AM
Alright, he picked it up last night, I saw it for the first time today.

First impressions:

It's definitely a single-purpose car....speed. It's not (overly) comfortable, sophisticated, well built or subtle. This thing is a man's ride and it's meant to go fast and get lots of attention. It's decently quick (not as quick as my deVille off the line, atleast not that I can remember), but combined with the exhaust note and overall feel of the car, it definitely feels quicker than it is. This one is in like mint condition, but the build quality is still mediocre...lots of squeaks and rattles, even at low speeds, but the seats are decently comfortable and you sit pretty low in the car. I just miss having a V-8 car...the sound, the torque, the wide powerband. I mean, it's only 170hp, but it still feels pretty quick, and that torque curve.... 255 lb/ft peaking at 2400 rpm sure is fun. My car has 58 more horsepower, and it's only down 23 lb/ft of torque, but the power just doesn't feel the same, until you get into the higher rpm's...

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_2164.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_2165.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_2166.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_2167.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_2168.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_2169.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_2170.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_2171.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_2172.jpg

Here's a quick video I shot of the quick ride I took, including a WOT.
odAgsPZMINk

Night Wolf
06-11-08, 12:40 AM
Wow, very nice shape! Something needs to be done about that cd-changer tho..... even tho the family may take care of cars, new teenage drivers still do stupid things with them :( It's funny, growing up the 3rd gen F-bodies were nothing really special, always seemed like a cheap redneck car.... but now they are making a comeback, almost sortaish becoming collector.... most of them didn't make it this far in the condition that one is in though.

Being 100% Italian, I can see myself cruzing in an IROC-Z, seems fitting.

Here is the Top Gear America part one, just watch it then when it's over click the next part, you'll have to show him this one, it's my favorite as well, and I like TG as a whole... but this was just really awesome.

Heh, if you like that one, then you'll probably like the Africa version where they do basically the same thing, that one is awesome too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzsmpL7v94o

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-11-08, 12:52 AM
How badly do the doors sag? That was a huge problem on these cars, simply because of their size and the cheapo hinges they used. My friend's door will lift about a half inch when you close them and the door sills are all scraped from the door running along them.

I agree with you on the level of comfort though, they do not disappoint. It has a rock hard suspension, but the seats hold you very nicely and there is plenty of leg room. The back seats suck balls, but I think a 2 person road trip would be very comfortable.

Although I like them, I will never ride in anything but a luxury car ever again. I don't give a damn about what others think when they see my car, I just like being comfortable and having a nice riding car.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-11-08, 10:15 AM
If the backseat is better than the one in my friend's 1991 Talon TSi, then it won't be the worst backseat I've ever sat in. The doors don't seem to sag at all now, and I agree, the CD changer must go. Upgrade to an MP3 player! I cannot find the glovebox in it....does it have one?

I'd really like one of these, but the TBI 305 isn't enough power for me. I'd LOVE a Trans Am GTA with that TPI 350.... :drool: :cloud9:

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
06-11-08, 01:11 PM
No glovebox. My friend keeps all his insurance and crap in the locking compartment in the left side of the "trunk" in a plastic bag to protect it.

Destroyer
06-11-08, 01:48 PM
I've owned several 3rd gen Fbody's including an '88 Iroc vert with the 220hp/TPI, an '87 350 Iroc, '83 Z28, '83 Firebird, '86 T/A (305 carb) and an '88 GTA. I liked them and never understood the whole redneck thing. New, every kid wanted one, if you had one, you had the women too. Mustang was the gearheads car, Camaro (especially IROC) was the girl magnet. Problem is most of them are really trashed nowadays and ended up in trailer trash neigborhoods so I suppose thats how they got that reputation?. Wasn't that way when they were new though.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-11-08, 01:54 PM
Well I suppose back when they were new there wasn't much competition in terms of cheap, fun fast sports cars, but nowadays all the F-Bodies are old and what's "new and hip" isn't muscle cars, it's tuner stuff.

Oh well though, I still like my fun powered by a V-8 and driven by the rear wheels.