: Identifing a part (1993 STS - N*)

caddyshack24
06-01-04, 04:17 PM
Doing some work under the hood, wondering if anybody could tell me what "part" this is. Looks like somebody rigged it up. I dont like it :)

Talking about the silicion on top of the throttle body, 3-4 small hoses running into it. Surely this can't be the way GM meant it to be.

(see picture attached)
Thanks, Eddie

growe3
06-01-04, 04:29 PM
It is the Vacuum Manifold, it has been "shade tree" :rolleyes2 repaired.

Attached is what it should look like.

-George

caddyshack24
06-01-04, 11:46 PM
Growe, my man.. 'preciate it
Couldn't have asked for more!
Looks relatively cheap, easy fix.

I must say, without having a favorable opinion.. that's a damn nice car.
Just one question, How are the Eibach springs and Arnott suspension treating you? Holding up alright?

I've contemplated this setup for myself, would love to hear about it.
(Read the walkthru many a times, thanks)

Eddie

growe3
06-02-04, 06:36 AM
Hi Eddie, thanks for the compliment.

I only put the Arnott shocks on the rear so far, I haven't had the time to put the front struts on yet. The Arnott shocks improved the car ride quite a bit as my car has 157,000 on it, and the shocks were worn out.
1993 Arnott Shock Replacement Project (http://www.caddyinfo.com/howto/1993%20Cadillac%20STS%20Rear%20Shock%20Replacement _files/frame.htm)

I only have the Eibachs on the rear at this time. After putting on the Eibachs the car now sets level, but unless you are on a nice smooth road the ride is too stiff for me. I will likely pull the Eibachs back off and put the stock springs back in, the order a set of new stock springs for the front (they have settled 1 5/8" below where they should be) and call it good.

If you have a boulevard cruiser the Eibachs would be OK, but after trying them out for 700 miles, they arenít quite what I want. I guess I will write the Eibach Springs off, to a project that didn't go as desired. I do like the look though.

-George

caddyshack24
06-03-04, 01:00 AM
Welcome George.

Yeah, good to hear. I've only got 87k on mine right now but i have a feeling they'll be down for the count shortly. Arrnot Industries is just down the street from me, about 18 miles and the research / engineering department is located where i used to live.. about 45 minutes away. Figured if they don't perform well, i can throw them threw the window.. ya know :))

On the Eibach's.. You wanna sell those?
I'd trade a little ride quality for some aggresive looks, no doubt.
Because to me, the STS is a car that screams to be lowered.
No pressure though. No rush either.

Damn, almost forgot.. went to the dealership today and ordered the 'vacuum manifold'. It's sold as a unit, the boot and 3 wires for a price of $119.
Should be in Friday. Will replace that, remove and clean the throttle body.. tighten the accelorator cable and check the ISC will im in there.. Coolant change and new thermostat...should be fun aye?

growe3
06-03-04, 08:15 PM
Let me think about what I'm going to do about the Eibachs. I will send you an e-mail or message in in a week or so and let you know.

Wow $119, that stings, but it will sure look a lot better with the proper fix and may clear up any strangness from vacuum signals going astray.

-George

caddydaddy
06-03-04, 09:09 PM
Hi, next time try Brasington Cadillac for parts! They are much cheaper than a local dealer!

http://www.gmotors.com/

caddyshack24
06-05-04, 11:38 PM
Hey, thanks caddydaddy.. will do.
Might need an ISC motor soon eeek