: Need headgaskets replaced...Twin Cities, MN area...

KrisR
05-19-08, 07:04 PM
Hello all,

This would be my first post in this obviously very informative and comprehensive forum. Sadly, its to report that I, too, am a member of the Northstar leaky headgasket club. I purchased a '99 SLS recently, only to determine that it has this issue. The car has ~135k miles, but it had something done at the dealership (some kind of major overhaul...maybe a recall of some kind?) at around 99k, so I think that there's only around 36k miles on the gaskets. This is my fourth Northstar car, and the first with this issue.

Symptoms include overheating after about 15 minutes of driving (esp. on the highway), air pockets in the cooling system (and random bubbling in the coolant tank), and a confirmation via an exhaust-gas detector that there was exhaust gases in the coolant.

So, I'm looking into pricing for repair. This would have to be near the Twin Cities MN area. Is there anyone local who has done this before, and would like to do it for me? Or, can someone recommend a reasonable shop that can do it for me around here? Obviously I want the timeserts if the car doesn't have them in already. I have another car to drive, so if it took someone (or a shop) a little time to save a little money, that would be OK too.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kris

Ranger
05-19-08, 07:27 PM
The car has ~135k miles, but it had something done at the dealership (some kind of major overhaul...maybe a recall of some kind?) at around 99k, so I think that there's only around 36k miles on the gaskets.
I doubt that the gaskets where replaced with whatever had been done because it would most likely have been Timeserted. The gaskets probably have 135K on them.

There was no recalls that would have entailed any type of major overhaul that I can think of.

KrisR
05-19-08, 09:35 PM
I doubt that the gaskets where replaced with whatever had been done because it would most likely have been Timeserted. The gaskets probably have 135K on them.

There was no recalls that would have entailed any type of major overhaul that I can think of.

Thanks for the info.

Is this the same Ranger that posts on Z06forum, etc?

chubbyranger
05-19-08, 09:35 PM
Only 99 Seville recall is the alternator. I just got my car back from having HGs done - found a shop by calling some machine shops and asking them who does Northstars locally. A machine shop will know how many N* heads they see from shops since most places will send them out to be checked.

Ranger
05-20-08, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the info.

Is this the same Ranger that posts on Z06forum, etc?
Nope. He's an impostor. ;)

KrisR
05-20-08, 08:28 AM
Nope. He's an impostor. ;)

Oh I see!