: Hello and my first post...question about alternator whine

manlaw
05-19-08, 05:09 PM
Hey guys,

Quick intro...I'm the proud new owner of a 2004 Escalade and very fortunate to join this forum of knowledgeable folks.

Now my question...I noticed when playing a CD in the factory 6-disc changer, I hear an annoying whine that increases when the engine revs. I also have the same problem with the Rear Seat DVD player. However, with the DVD player there is some static that increases when I turn the volume up or down. I've taken it to the dealer twice to have them troubleshoot. They've replaced the CD changer twice and recently replaced the DVD with a brand new one. The last thing done was a filter placed on the CD changer cable. This minimizes the whine sometimes but didn't make it go away completely.

I'm not gonna be satisfied until this is completely fixed. Should I have them replace the Radio\Nav head unit to see if that helps ? Any suggestions are welcome. BTW, the radio and XM don't have any issues and sound great....it's just the CD changer and RSE. Luckily I'm under warranty so none of this is costing me a penny.

cadillacroadside
05-19-08, 05:53 PM
an audible noise like this is usually unwanted induced voltage on a circuit, i personally would be looking to filter at the amp especially since you have a dvd issue, additional grounds on the radio chasis also eliminate some noise. filters can be installed anywhere in the circuit and module grounds can also be added, i usually start with filters on the power supply lines to whatever the component in question is

hcvone
05-19-08, 07:38 PM
Welcome to the Forum. :) I know in my 03' and 07's I get alternator whine on the Onstar phone but not in the radio or CD section.

Guyz1996deville
05-20-08, 02:37 PM
Even so much as to asure that you have a proper connection on your ground side to your battery. Could be coroded or something....

CUTiger78
06-04-08, 12:19 AM
When I heard alternator whine on my 99 DeVille, the alternator was about to go. Just a thought....