ABCF
05-19-08, 01:01 AM
yah...right

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n17/serrated_01/025.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n17/serrated_01/026.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n17/serrated_01/027.jpg

hueterm
05-19-08, 01:15 AM
I think that guy could legitimately be called a "neck"...

Gotta love the portholes and the hemi crap together.

MauiV
05-19-08, 01:16 AM
Yah....its got a hemi

Nope, but its got a douche behind the wheel!

The bumper vents really tie it all together.

TexasCadillac
05-19-08, 06:51 AM
do they look like bumper vents or Hemi-ROIDS?

gary88
05-19-08, 01:07 PM
They're obviously speed holes.

95ETC
05-19-08, 01:23 PM
and you know those decals on the quarters are worth at LEAST 20 HP. EACH!!!!!!!!!

such a shame. ll that money and no brains.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-19-08, 01:54 PM
Oh Jesus Christ, some people show NO restraint! :nono:

Sometimes you just wanna douse a car in gasoline and light a match....

The Tony Show
05-19-08, 03:22 PM
Sort of like putting a V grill on a V6 CTS, eh?

JimmyH
05-19-08, 03:37 PM
what is it with Dodge owners and stick-on portholes? It seems every other charger I see on the road has them.

dkozloski
05-19-08, 04:10 PM
In the late '80s I was in the Boston area at a school for a laser scanner. I saw an RX-7 in a supermarket parking lot with TURBO II decals that was an obvious fake. The wheels were too small and it didn't have the big off-center hood scoop for the intercooler. I hollered at the guy standing by it, "I've got a real one of those. That thing is a fake". I thought he was going to come unglued. He must have had his whole inner being tied up in that fake car. Pitiful.

jonnyd
05-19-08, 04:21 PM
hahahaha now i PRAY PRAY PRAY that guy has a hemi in there lmfao. IF not....what a freakin FLAMER!!! who does that!?!? seriously!!! i would be the one who pulls up at the light looks over and points and laughs at him!! LMFAO

The Tony Show
05-19-08, 04:41 PM
^ hates cars with tacky accessories added on.

JimmyH
05-19-08, 04:47 PM
Call me crazy if you wish, but I happen to think this is pretty damn cool:

http://cooleywire.com/jimmyh/pics/cars/talon.jpg

dkozloski
05-19-08, 05:41 PM

It's barely room temperature.

matthightower
05-19-08, 05:44 PM

ouch

ABCF
05-19-08, 06:27 PM

No, because a V grill looks good on a CTS 6cyl. Imagine how those chrome bits and that stick on scoop would look on a CTS...

eeeeeeyuck

JimmyH
05-19-08, 06:48 PM

The Tony Show
05-19-08, 06:54 PM

You're crazy.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-19-08, 06:55 PM
But....what if the owner of the Sebring absolutely hated the car, and as a joke, decided to put all those decals on it? I'd give him credit for that...

RightTurn
05-19-08, 07:07 PM
what is it with Dodge owners and stick-on portholes? It seems every other charger I see on the road has them.

They desperately want a Buick.

RightTurn
05-19-08, 07:09 PM

You're crazy.

:yeah:

The Tony Show
05-19-08, 07:12 PM
:glassback:

Destroyer
05-19-08, 09:04 PM
But....what if the owner of the Sebring absolutely hated the car, and as a joke, decided to put all those decals on it? I'd give him credit for that...
If I had a car I hated I'd sell it. Dont think I'd be putting stickers, scoops and portholes on it so I could hate it more and further devaluate it. Would you?. :confused:

JimmyH
05-19-08, 09:39 PM
You're crazy.

I am. For some reason, I find riced out imports kind of sexy.
Same thing goes for riced out cars.

MauiV
05-19-08, 10:06 PM

FTW!!!

Looks like this thread is officially closed out.

kelly
05-19-08, 10:07 PM
Wow...just wow

Florian
05-19-08, 11:17 PM

Jimmy,

Get back to your glory hole receivership duty...theres a line waiting for you. That car is weak sauce at best :thepan: Im appalled.

F

hueterm
05-19-08, 11:30 PM
I'm probably going to get flamed to some extent after this -- but really what is the big surprise? :stirpot:

The peddling of the "Hemi culture" was from the beginning pretty redneck. I mean, when the new Hemis first came out, the opening ads were those NASCAR wannabe, toothless wonder, Jeff Foxworthy/Larry the Cable Guy knockoffs in a crappy truck following around a new Ram to see if it had a Hemi.

I mean, I like Jeff Foxworthy OK, and I can watch a NASCAR race, and if I were buying a Chrysler vehicle, I would w/o a doubt get one w/a Hemi -- but -- the schizos at Chrysler were TOTALLY going after a specific demo. So when some tool w/a crap Sebring wants to show off, he wants to make it look like he has a Hemi.

At least he had 2 brain cells touching each other, so that he didn't put a 5.0 badge on his Sebring, next to a picture of "Dr. Z." ... :cool2:

dkozloski
05-19-08, 11:40 PM
As far as car engines go, the hemi is/was a huge lump of cast iron guaranteed to make any car it's in steer like pushing a cast iron cook stove down the sidewalk. It put out a lot of power but Chrysler tried several times to abandon it in favor of wedge engines. It's all hype and in fact is no longer a hemi. A true hemi with a "square" bore and stroke has a compression ratio of about five to one like a model T Ford. It's all hype directed toward an ignorant public.

JimmyH
05-20-08, 12:09 AM
Jimmy,

Get back to your glory hole receivership duty...theres a line waiting for you. That car is weak sauce at best :thepan: Im appalled.

F

IIRC that car puts 450+hp to the wheels. If that's an awd talon, it would make quick work of a V.

BTW, my glory hole is very lonely right now.

JimmyH
05-20-08, 12:11 AM
It's all hype directed toward an ignorant public.

Not to defend Chrysler (those who know me know where I stand on Chrysler products) but that hype does not make Hemi powered cars any different from a lot of other cars out there.

gary88
05-20-08, 12:34 AM
Lamborghini doors belong here:

http://www.carforums.net/reviews/makes/pictures/lamborghini11.jpg

Destroyer
05-20-08, 12:46 AM
I'm probably going to get flamed to some extent after this -- but really what is the big surprise? :stirpot:

The peddling of the "Hemi culture" was from the beginning pretty redneck. I mean, when the new Hemis first came out, the opening ads were those NASCAR wannabe, toothless wonder, Jeff Foxworthy/Larry the Cable Guy knockoffs in a crappy truck following around a new Ram to see if it had a Hemi.

I mean, I like Jeff Foxworthy OK, and I can watch a NASCAR race, and if I were buying a Chrysler vehicle, I would w/o a doubt get one w/a Hemi -- but -- the schizos at Chrysler were TOTALLY going after a specific demo. So when some tool w/a crap Sebring wants to show off, he wants to make it look like he has a Hemi.

At least he had 2 brain cells touching each other, so that he didn't put a 5.0 badge on his Sebring, next to a picture of "Dr. Z." ... :cool2:Reminds me of a redneck I ran into at a repair shop a few years back. I was getting an oil change or something done on my 67 Cutlass and some guy there (waiting for his truck) was telling me he used to have a '68 Impala with a "hemi". I tell him GM never made a hemi and that was Chrysler. Dumb redneck stopped for a minute and came back at me with "Oh yeah, yeah. I know but I found out it was an experimental hemi that Chevy was planning on using but somehow found its way in my Impala". I just wanted to leave at that point. :annoyed:

LS1Mike
05-20-08, 10:18 AM
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/data/3243/Lambo-Doors-So-Played-Out.jpg

The Tony Show
05-20-08, 10:38 AM
IIRC that car puts 450+hp to the wheels. If that's an awd talon, it would make quick work of a V.

Just going off past experience, I'm going to guess that it's a non-turbo, base car that was once a different color before it was sodomized by the fiberglass and chrome that's on it now. Ricers very rarely invest the money in the top line model- that's less money they can spend on mawwwwwwds.

Not only would those wheels rob about 50hp to turn over compared to the stockers, but that ridiculous bodykit would catch on the first pebble in the road and shatter into a million pieces.

I'd love to run into that monstrosity in my V. :)

JimmyH
05-20-08, 01:50 PM
You must never have met a rich kid who likes ricers, and has too much time and money on his hands. They can do what they want, use any components they want, and when something inevitably breaks, they take it back to the performance shop and have it replaced.

Not my cup of tea, but I still think they are pretty wicked.

Oh and :lol: at LS1mike

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-20-08, 01:52 PM
I know a lot of guys (mainly turbo DSMers) that would much rather spend the money on performance parts.

DopeStar 156
05-20-08, 02:28 PM
These are my kind of mods.......

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2001/ps2/twistedmetalblack/twistedmetalblack_0618_screen012.jpg

Albertan
05-20-08, 06:32 PM
I was at a car show and shine a few weeks ago. I saw and talked to a guy with an old Dodge Intrepid. He had removed the drivetrain and installed a blown small block Chevy with auto and rear wheel drive. It was pretty rough. I was asking him what people thought of the blower scoop sticking out of the hood. He said most would think he just stuck it on the hood. Of course the idle would give it away.

MauiV
05-20-08, 08:05 PM
Talons (and Talon drivers) are infamous for this shit.....

UwuZ815uurw&feature

He obviously jumped but the guy in the Camaro chased to his own demise.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-20-08, 08:09 PM
What shit are you talking about? Jumping the gun at the start, racing on streets or acting like a bunch of tools in front of a camera?

MauiV
05-20-08, 08:14 PM
The jump. They do it at the track too. During Shootouts they turn the tree off and go with a starter wave and ALWAYS launch early. Supposedly if you chase its a race BUT who the f'k is looking at the other car?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-20-08, 08:17 PM
Yeah, I guess you gotta jump when you're ace-in-the-hole is known to destroy your clutch.

JimmyH
05-20-08, 08:44 PM
I always liked the 300M. I was appalled when I saw its replacement. I don't care how much the car rags enshrine it; it's ugly as sin and even heavier.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-21-08, 11:33 AM
Agreed. It's the ghetto dream ride. But then again, I also liked the 300M.

thebigjimsho
05-21-08, 01:37 PM
The LHS was the better car...

But as much as I hate the whoring of Hemi, cab-forward almost made me slit my wrists...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-21-08, 01:42 PM
I really liked the first gen LHS too... Those seats.... :cloud9:

Lord Cadillac
05-21-08, 02:12 PM
I always liked the 300M. I was appalled when I saw its replacement. I don't care how much the car rags enshrine it; it's ugly as sin and even heavier.
I replaced my wife's Lexus with a 300C and besides crappy service, we have no complaints.. We like the Chrysler a lot better than the Lexus.

dkozloski
05-21-08, 02:31 PM
I replaced my wife's Lexus with a 300C and besides crappy service, we have no complaints.. We like the Chrysler a lot better than the Lexus.
I still think they look like a cross between a George Barris Custom '49 Mercury and Dick Tracy's car in the comic strip.

thebigjimsho
05-21-08, 03:21 PM
I really liked the first gen LHS too... Those seats.... :cloud9:Eh, the first gen was OK. I was thinking these...

http://media.motortopia.com/files/2505/vehicle/458603db1129f/LHS4.jpg

Much classier rear end, too...

thebigjimsho
05-21-08, 03:22 PM
I replaced my wife's Lexus with a 300C and besides crappy service, we have no complaints.. We like the Chrysler a lot better than the Lexus.Fine then. Then go to the 300 forums and leave us alone!

Lord Cadillac
05-21-08, 03:52 PM
FINE!!! MAYBE I WILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crybaby: :D

Fine then. Then go to the 300 forums and leave us alone!

The LHS is very nice. :)

hueterm
05-21-08, 05:51 PM
That original LHS/Concorde/Intrepid/Vision was a POS. You cannot see one now on the road that doesn't look trashed.

JimmyH
05-22-08, 12:21 PM
300M ftw

http://cooleywire.com/jimmyh/pics/cars/300m.jpg

JimmyH
05-22-08, 12:24 PM
That original LHS/Concorde/Intrepid/Vision was a POS. You cannot see one now on the road that doesn't look trashed.

how about this one

http://cooleywire.com/jimmyh/pics/cars/300.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-22-08, 12:53 PM
She's nice, the car isn't.

JimmyH
05-22-08, 12:56 PM
She's photoshopped, the car isn't.

thebigjimsho
05-22-08, 01:55 PM
300M ftw

http://cooleywire.com/jimmyh/pics/cars/300m.jpgThe LHS actually handled better and thus faster overall. Plus, it looks much better...

dwight.j.carter
05-22-08, 02:41 PM
yah...right

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n17/serrated_01/025.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n17/serrated_01/026.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n17/serrated_01/027.jpg

I bet it still only has as much horsepower as stock as the guys mullett probably drags down the car lol. I can see him hitting his wife in the passenger seat now. :bonkers:

nickc50310
05-22-08, 03:00 PM
Ok, I probably should have just stayed out of this thread.

Oh well.

That car sucks. PERIOD.

Now, some of you V guys seriously act like you got a corn cob stuck up your ass. You know I like most of you but three of you in this thread need a serious adjustment. It is especially evident after a recent thread in the CTS forum that was rude and inappropriate. That thread also served no prupose whatsoever other than to be a complete asshat to someone who obviously did not deserve it. PERIOD.

First off, putting a V grill on a regular CTS isnt even in the same ballpark as this garbage. Putting V embz on a regular CTS, yes but not just a grill. The V grill and/or bumper look waaaaaayyyyy better than a regular CTS. It is merely cosmetic, it is not trying to pose like they have a V.

You guys need to wake up and stop being such *******s. I know V owners who wont even go in the V forum anymore because they are so absurdly sick of your shit. Congrats- you have a V8!!! Now, quit expecting everyone to kiss your ass on an internet forum because of it. Go out in the real world and try to get people to kiss your ass then Ill be impressed. Until then i will leave you with my customary closing of when i am irritated with someone- POUND SAND!

dwight.j.carter
05-22-08, 04:02 PM
Nick you shouldn't take offense to them anyway. Your car is one of a kind that they will never get there V to look as nice. Not to mention the mods yours has beside the bumper. How about the rims and grille. Who cares if you have a V8 these days it's got to be costly to fill up not to mention the shitty gas milleage. If I had a choice I would take your car with the mods over a V any day.

JimmyH
05-22-08, 04:07 PM
Hey Nick, go pound sand! :lol:

JimmyH
05-22-08, 04:09 PM
The LHS actually handled better and thus faster overall. Plus, it looks much better...

I dont see what the difference is, they were all the same platform no? I have to disagree, the 300M was only good looker of the LH cars. The rear of LHS was too frumpy looking.

None of it matters, I would never buy any Chrysler product anyway.

dwight.j.carter
05-22-08, 05:03 PM
Hey Nick, go pound sand! :lol:

Nick pounds alot of sand lol. :thepan:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-22-08, 05:49 PM
I pound the pavement.

dkozloski
05-22-08, 06:12 PM
Nick you shouldn't take offense to them anyway. Your car is one of a kind that they will never get there V to look as nice. Not to mention the mods yours has beside the bumper. How about the rims and grille. Who cares if you have a V8 these days it's got to be costly to fill up not to mention the shitty gas milleage. If I had a choice I would take your car with the mods over a V any day.
Nick has a very nice car.

dwight.j.carter
05-22-08, 06:31 PM
Nick has a very nice car.

I would rather have your AWD STS though dkoz. :sneaky:

nickc50310
05-22-08, 07:14 PM
Thanks Koz!

I pound lots of..... :histeric:

The Tony Show
05-22-08, 08:27 PM
One man's portholes and hood scoop is another man's VTXi kit or V grill. Justify it all you want, but just because you happen to think one looks better doesn't make it any less poseur-ish.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-22-08, 08:35 PM
Like the guys who put S600 emblems and V-12 badges onto the S320....?

nickc50310
05-22-08, 08:45 PM
One man's portholes and hood scoop is another man's VTXi kit or V grill. Justify it all you want, but just because you happen to think one looks better doesn't make it any less poseur-ish.

Just because you think something is "poserish" doesnt make it so. Everyone has an opinion.

The Tony Show
05-22-08, 08:55 PM
Thank you for agreeing with me.

JimmyH
05-22-08, 09:12 PM
Just don't anyone pick on my dash kit, else I will be forced to open up a can of E-whoopass.

JimmyH
05-22-08, 09:14 PM
Sorry Tony, I love you and all, but the V grill and VTX are not anywhere near the same league as stick on portholes. I could even accept a hood scoop (not on my car though) but the portholes are just wrong.

Buick gets a pass because they are functional, but they still look goofy.

dwight.j.carter
05-22-08, 09:29 PM
Changing your car to make people think it's fast is a no no. Like in the picture here of the crappy Chrysler. Changing your Cts bumper and grille is entirely acceptable as you are not advertising that it is fast. It's not like Nick put a bunch of V emblems on his car all he did was changed the grille and bumper. And correct me if I am wrong here but you V boys can't get the sport grille on the V stock correct ? Your loss because I would take the car with the sport grille any day not to mention how awesome I think Nick's car looks with the V Bumper and Sport Grille. I like the V and all but all it was a shoe horned in V8 motor off of the regular CTS. At least GM is doing it right with the 2009 and designing the car around the engine. feel free to burn me all you want V fellas because I won't spout off and get myself band by name calling like Nick did lol.

Destroyer
05-22-08, 09:43 PM
Its the V guys that are posers!. Cause their cars look like regular CTS's with V grilles on them. Haha, yeah!.:canttalk:

gary88
05-22-08, 09:48 PM
Something about a sport grille on here just wouldn't sit right with me

http://www.dragtimes.com/images/10418-2006-Cadillac-CTS-V.jpg

dwight.j.carter
05-22-08, 09:51 PM
This sits right with me though. :thumbsup:

JimmyH
05-22-08, 10:11 PM
I have news for all you guise, if it is looks you are after, the CTS was the wrong choice. There are much better looking sedans out there.

The CTS is about go. The V even more so. I will be the first to admit that most V guys are little too holier-than-thou, but most of us don't care about styling. And I think their problem is that bling-blingers are watering down the CTS as a whole. Why they feel this way I don't know, but I can see where they are coming from.

As far as the Dodge that started this whole thread, I don't see why people have such a problem with it. Some people like making a statement with their rides. And they care nothing about performance. Before you start getting all over the V guys for being condescending, remember there are plenty of blingers in the CTS forums, and I am sure there are even a few in the STS forums, who have this exact same outlook on cars. And looking down at this Dodge is being condescending towards those who do similar, if not the same thing, to their CTS.

It's all about unique-ness. If that is what someone wants, God Bless him. If you don't like someone's visual mods, then don't look at them. It's that simple. You guys are wasting valuable spam-bandwidth with these petty arguments. :D

dwight.j.carter
05-23-08, 12:40 AM
Agreed and honestly the only thing that doesn't agree with the Dodge pic is the Hemi badges. That is like putting V badging on a non V car. Like if I was to put V badges on my 2000 Seville STS and call it an STS-V. I would basically be implying that I have a supercharged V8 which I don't lol.

thebigjimsho
05-23-08, 02:37 AM
Hmm, I think I'm gonna go buy stock in Tampax...

MauiV
05-23-08, 01:01 PM
Hmm, I think I'm gonna go buy stock in Tampax...

Heavy flow day?

Some douche in my town has 20's and a mesh grill on his black CTS and it looks like ass. All hes missing is the craptastic chrome pillars and a glow kit.

Some woman drives an offwhite one with the sport grill and some clean rims. Looks very very good.

dwight.j.carter
05-23-08, 01:07 PM
I hate that aftermarket wheels just don't look right on a cadillac.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-23-08, 01:20 PM
Over on Benzworld, the real famous (infamous? Idiotic?) thing somebody is doing is putting Maybach badges on their S Class, thinking they would fool the public. The only thing they forgot to do was change the hood ornament from the tristar to the double M. Or on the W140 style, like mine, the V-12 S600s had a different grille than the other models, so the popular thing to do is to stick the S600 grille on your 320/350/420/500 and have it look different, but it's such a subtle change, not many would pick up on it. Otherwise, the real popular thing to do is to stick the S600 and V-12 badges on their I-6 or V-8 S Class, which I think is just plain stupid and extremely poseurish.

dwight.j.carter
05-23-08, 01:40 PM
haha I am going to put Maybach badging on my car then it will be really nice.

JimmyH
05-23-08, 03:02 PM
http://cooleywire.com/jimmyh/pics/sig/cts1.gif

dwight.j.carter
05-23-08, 05:01 PM
that actually looks pretty neat I think.

nickc50310
05-23-08, 06:07 PM
Heavy flow day?

Some douche in my town has 20's and a mesh grill on his black CTS and it looks like ass. All hes missing is the craptastic chrome pillars and a glow kit.

Some woman drives an offwhite one with the sport grill and some clean rims. Looks very very good.

Agreed. I like my 18s waaaayyyyy more than some gawdy huge rims with rubber band tires.

I think my CTS is AWESOME and not poserish at all. If anyone told me my car was poserish to my face I would likely kick them in the sack and then punch them in the throat.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b230/nickc50310/DD76.jpg

dwight.j.carter
05-23-08, 06:18 PM
Alright who brought the dog ?

Lol just kidding Chucko.

dkozloski
05-23-08, 06:58 PM
Agreed. I like my 18s waaaayyyyy more than some gawdy huge rims with rubber band tires.

I think my CTS is AWESOME and not poserish at all. If anyone told me my car was poserish to my face I would likely kick them in the sack and then punch them in the throat.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b230/nickc50310/DD76.jpg
Why does the internet tough guy look like a big old teddy bear? No matter how bad you talk you still look like one of the good guys. I'm a pretty good judge of character and you look like somebody trustworthy to me. If that sounds like an insult so be it.

nickc50310
05-23-08, 07:01 PM
Why does the internet tough guy look like a big old teddy bear? No matter how bad you talk you still look like one of the good guys. I'm a pretty good judge of character and you look like somebody trustworthy to me. If that sounds like an insult so be it.

HAHA! Youre right Koz and I do take that as a compliment. I probably would not punch somebody for talkin garbage. I only do stuff like that when someone else makes it physical. I am a big teddy bear but I do know how to throw down.

JimmyH
05-23-08, 11:40 PM
I bet you would punch someone if they set a camera on your car :lol:

Highline Cady
05-23-08, 11:45 PM
LOL :histeric:

Highline Cady
05-23-08, 11:51 PM
That was funny at the Midwest Meet, I think we all would have looked the other way on the domestic violence issue. LOL Besides there have to be limits in any relationship that cannot be crossed without a physical response, honestly, I think we were all waiting to see...:rant2: or at least later...:alchi: LOL

JimmyH
05-24-08, 12:03 AM
My favorite was the collective :GASP: :lol:

Highline Cady
05-24-08, 02:17 AM
You're lucky it's not black, you'd see the marks for sure.:eek:

nickc50310
05-24-08, 02:53 AM
I bet you would punch someone if they set a camera on your car :lol:

If it was my hot wife or YOU, I would let it slide!! :eyebrow: :bouncy:

LOL!! That was funny though, especially how you knew we would all gasp.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-24-08, 10:17 AM
I vaguely remember something like that happening.

AMGoff
05-25-08, 02:53 AM
...w/a crap Sebring...

I agree with pretty much everyone's sentiments with this... it's as pathetic as it is atrocious.

However.. while I don't know if it was simply for effect or not, I'll have to disagree with you HT... I don't think it's fair to say that the Sebring Convertibles are "crap."

While I don't have any hands-on experience with the new ones, I think they're still handsome looking cars (more so than the '01-'06, and certainly MUCH better looking than the sedan)... but the original '96-'00 JX Sebrings were fantastic cars. I still think they are exceptionally good-looking cars even today... and they were decently priced, decently built, fairly darn reliable cars... In fact, most people forget that the Sebring convertible's JX siblings - the "Cloud" cars (the Cirrus, specifically) won Car of the Year back when it came out. As far as the engines went, they were never barnstormers - but the Mitsubishi built 2.5L V6 was a good, reliable little engine... and Chrysler's four-speed auto was darn-near bulletproof. As far as the new ones go... while again, I have no hands-on time with one... the top model does come with Chrysler's 3.5L aluminum V6 which is also a nice engine... and it's mated to a 6-speed, not to mention the availability of the retractable hardtop - which is a nice option in it's market segment.

But I can at least speak from experience with regard to the original JX Sebring 'verts... I had a top of the line, fully load '97 JXi that I bought as a leftover demo... it was my daily driver for 3 years and then we kept it up until last year just as a fun summer/weekend car. It ended up giving us about 90,000 trouble-free miles and the only thing I ever had to do to it was replace a worn tie-rod end in 2006... it was a fantastic car and I still see it driving around by the guy I sold it to in town - the only reason I got rid of it was because that was one of the stipulations when I picked up the CJ5. And I know many who have had very positive experiences with their Sebring 'verts... just ask one of our fellow members - imtarq... (he and I actually originally met years ago on the Sebring message boards).

They haven't been either the best or second best selling convertibles over the past 12 years for nothing!

Anyway... sorry for the fairly long-winded diatribe... it's just that it's late and I'm dealing with a bout of insomnia at the moment!

Night Wolf
05-25-08, 07:59 AM
Were the original '96-'00 (which I've always liked the styling) Sebring convertibles offered with a manual trans?!?

AMGoff
05-26-08, 01:21 AM
Were the original '96-'00 (which I've always liked the styling) Sebring convertibles offered with a manual trans?!?

They never offered the '96-'00 Sebring convertibles with a manual transmission here in the states, although they were available in foreign markets. There are some out there because the conversion is *relatively* easy for the 4-cylinder models, since its "sister" cars - the Breeze and Stratus (as well as the Sebring Coupe, albeit different platform) came with 5-speeds on their 4-cyl models... None of the "cloud" cars ever offered a 5-speed with the 2.5L V6.

As far as a stock Sebring 'vert, they didn't come along until the '02 GTC models mated to Chrysler's 2.7L V6... the closest thing you'll find on the original 'verts is Chrysler's Autostick, which became available on them in '97.

Night Wolf
05-26-08, 02:12 AM
They never offered the '96-'00 Sebring convertibles with a manual transmission here in the states, although they were available in foreign markets. There are some out there because the conversion is *relatively* easy for the 4-cylinder models, since its "sister" cars - the Breeze and Stratus (as well as the Sebring Coupe, albeit different platform) came with 5-speeds on their 4-cyl models... None of the "cloud" cars ever offered a 5-speed with the 2.5L V6.

As far as a stock Sebring 'vert, they didn't come along until the '02 GTC models mated to Chrysler's 2.7L V6... the closest thing you'll find on the original 'verts is Chrysler's Autostick, which became available on them in '97.

:( My hopes were up.... I dunno, I've got a thing for a convertible... probably be the next car, but it must be a manual... just far more rewarding, and fun to drive.

hueterm
05-26-08, 05:38 PM
I agree with pretty much everyone's sentiments with this... it's as pathetic as it is atrocious.

However.. while I don't know if it was simply for effect or not, I'll have to disagree with you HT... I don't think it's fair to say that the Sebring Convertibles are "crap."

While I don't have any hands-on experience with the new ones, I think they're still handsome looking cars (more so than the '01-'06, and certainly MUCH better looking than the sedan)... but the original '96-'00 JX Sebrings were fantastic cars. I still think they are exceptionally good-looking cars even today... and they were decently priced, decently built, fairly darn reliable cars... In fact, most people forget that the Sebring convertible's JX siblings - the "Cloud" cars (the Cirrus, specifically) won Car of the Year back when it came out. As far as the engines went, they were never barnstormers - but the Mitsubishi built 2.5L V6 was a good, reliable little engine... and Chrysler's four-speed auto was darn-near bulletproof. As far as the new ones go... while again, I have no hands-on time with one... the top model does come with Chrysler's 3.5L aluminum V6 which is also a nice engine... and it's mated to a 6-speed, not to mention the availability of the retractable hardtop - which is a nice option in it's market segment.

But I can at least speak from experience with regard to the original JX Sebring 'verts... I had a top of the line, fully load '97 JXi that I bought as a leftover demo... it was my daily driver for 3 years and then we kept it up until last year just as a fun summer/weekend car. It ended up giving us about 90,000 trouble-free miles and the only thing I ever had to do to it was replace a worn tie-rod end in 2006... it was a fantastic car and I still see it driving around by the guy I sold it to in town - the only reason I got rid of it was because that was one of the stipulations when I picked up the CJ5. And I know many who have had very positive experiences with their Sebring 'verts... just ask one of our fellow members - imtarq... (he and I actually originally met years ago on the Sebring message boards).

They haven't been either the best or second best selling convertibles over the past 12 years for nothing!

Anyway... sorry for the fairly long-winded diatribe... it's just that it's late and I'm dealing with a bout of insomnia at the moment!

Admittedly, I have very little experience w/these except for the rare dismal rental a long time ago, the fact that a co-worker had one that was a lemon, and that anytime I see one of these now, they don't seem to hold up well.

I actually didn't notice that the vehicle in question was a 'vert'. The addons were let's say a distraction...

However, if one did want a convertible, especially of that size -- it was one of the only options. You have to admit, though, that the coupes and sedans were inferior to the GPs/Regals/Impalas they competed against.

dkozloski
05-26-08, 06:14 PM
Due to the lack of frame rigidity provided by the roof structure, convertibles are rattletraps that fall to pieces. Contrary to popular opinion, they are much heavier than factory coupes and sedans because of the ineffective bracing hidden below the floor in a futile attempt to compensate. I wouldn't have one stuck in my rearend if I had room for a sawmill.

orconn
05-26-08, 08:52 PM
:( My hopes were up.... I dunno, I've got a thing for a convertible... probably be the next car, but it must be a manual... just far more rewarding, and fun to drive.

Unless you need the room a four seater, I'd suggest a Alfa Romeo Spider. They are around at reasonable prices and with your mechanical skills and the avalilability of replacement parts you should be able to fix about anything on the car. They are great handling, fun roadsters that were in production til the mid to late '90s. Buy the best you can afford , take care of it and you should little to no depreciation; you'll see appreciation in the near future. Decent gas mileage too!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-26-08, 10:57 PM
Rick would like an Italian car, a little red barchetta if you would.