: Ran out of gas - Now will not start

SCSTS
05-18-08, 09:05 PM
My daughter ran my '99 STS out of gas. I replaced the gas but the engine will not start. Thought it might be fuel filter! WHERE IS IT???

Have any other ideas?

THANKS

Submariner409
05-18-08, 09:44 PM
Fuel filter is up next to the frame rail under the rear passenger door area. That's probably not your problem. It's either a fried submersible fuel pump in the tank or air binding in the delivery line and rail. You should hear the fuel pump run for a couple of seconds immediately at key-start (have someone crank while you listen at the fuel tank fill pipe). Don't confuse that with the real level control compressor which runs for 4 seconds about 10 seconds after key-start-run. If the pump does not run, check the pump fuse (rear seat fuse box?) first. If the pump runs, make sure there's at least 5 gallons of gas in the vehicle and have someone attempt to start the car while you depress the stem in the Schrader valve located on the fuel rail which is mounted on the top of the engine, wrapped around the intake manifold..

Careful......pressurized fuel, hopefully.

Seville fuel pumps do not like to run dry......cross your fingers. Read the close-by thread entitled "Hard start N* and.....".

CadillacSTS42005
05-18-08, 10:38 PM
odds are its the pump

SCSTS
05-19-08, 09:16 PM
Thanks for your HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really hate being so dumb about my own car BUT ???????????

NHRATA01
05-20-08, 01:55 PM
Near guarantee the fuel pump burned up. It uses the gas in the tank as a heat transfer resevoir to keep cool. Run it dry, and it'll overheat instantly. If you kill the ignition quick enough you may save it, then it could just be that the crap settled at the bottom of the tank clogged the filter sock on the pump.

RickyHenry
05-20-08, 03:57 PM
Thanks for your HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really hate being so dumb about my own car BUT ???????????

i rebuilt my engine on my car, and i still don't know anything about it. don't feel so bad. :banghead:

dwight.j.carter
05-20-08, 05:11 PM
luckily there is a door in the trunk so you won't have to drop the fuel tank to replace the pump.

Tommy Deville
05-21-08, 05:32 PM
luckily there is a door in the trunk so you won't have to drop the fuel tank to replace the pump.
No kidding, really? All late 90's caddies like that?

Ranger
05-21-08, 09:29 PM
I think that started in '98 or '99.

chubbyranger
05-21-08, 10:45 PM
98-04 Sevilles have the fuel pump access panel in the trunk. I think all others are SOL. Just ran mine dry the other day but dodged that bullet because I had read about burning up the pump here. Somebody looks out for me.