: Hard Starting N* And Unknown Code

racinrod67
05-18-08, 11:01 AM
In the last week or so I have experienced the engine needing to be cranked excessively before it fires and then runs rough for 30 seconds or so before a smooth idle is achieved. This happens when the engine is cold, after it warms up, it starts as usual with the engine firing right up. I pulled codes, nothing current, but three showed up in history:
PC1406, I pulled the EGR valve for cleaning a few months back
PC0603, Control Module Long Term Memory Reset - what causes this?
RF2560, couldn't find this one on the list
I have 146K on the motor, with about 40K on new plugs and wires. Fuel filter has been changed within the last 12 months. I don't think this was a gradual problem, it just seemed to happen one day. Could it be the quality of fuel that was pumped in it last time?

JimD
05-18-08, 11:52 AM
In the last week or so I have experienced the engine needing to be cranked excessively before it fires and then runs rough for 30 seconds or so before a smooth idle is achieved.I would be checking fuel pump pressure.
Could also be a faulty fuel pressure regulator.

PC0603, Control Module Long Term Memory Reset - what causes this?Could be the result of a battery disconnect.

RF2560, couldn't find this one on the listRKE Message Validation Error.
Could it be the quality of fuel that was pumped in it last time?Could be, but the pump would be my #1 suspect.

racinrod67
05-18-08, 12:13 PM
I can hear the fuel pump run when I turn the ignition on. Also, back when I cleaned the EGR valve, I had to remove the fuel rail. Purchased the o-ring kit from the dealer which came with FPR rebuild kit, so I installed that too.

JimD
05-18-08, 01:44 PM
Hearing the pump is good but I would want to know the pressure value.

There should be no evidence of fuel or fuel vapors (nose test) around the fuel plumbing and pressure regulator.

racinrod67
05-18-08, 07:12 PM
I'll check for any leaks around the FPR and the injectors. Where is the best place to measure the fuel pressure and how should I go about it?

Ranger
05-18-08, 07:53 PM
There is a fuel pressure service port (schreader valve) on the fuel rail. Looks just like a tire valve. Get a fuel pressure gauge and screw it on. Turn the key on and see what kind of pressure you have . Also check it while cranking.