: Jsoh 2008

ewill3rd
05-17-08, 08:40 AM
Today and tomorrow the Joint Services Open House is going on at Andrews Air Force base.
Not sure how you guys feel about air shows, but this is one of the most favorite things on Earth for me to do.
Me and EWill4th are heading out in just a while to take it in.
The Blue Angels are flying later this afternoon.

I think the weather is going to interfere with tomorrow's show so we are going today.

Just wanted to share in case anybody else in the DC area might want to go.

http://www.jsoh.org/index1.html

Parking is at FedEx Field, don't bring a backpack!
You have to go through the equivalent of airport security.
See the website for details on what you can bring and what you can't.

I am going to go have a blast!
:D

AlBundy
05-17-08, 12:54 PM
I love air shows. Your son is gonna have a blast.:thumbsup:

ewill3rd
05-17-08, 07:11 PM
Man that was awesome!

Getting there was brutal.
They had a record crowd because of the weather. It took us almost 2 hours to get to the airshow after we got to FedEx. That part was awful, plus the lines everywhere were long, the sun was strong and it was just crazy.

My son and I had an awesome day out together.
I snapped some good pics but I have to do some powerlounging right now. :lol:

Thanks Al.
;)

Submariner409
05-17-08, 07:42 PM
On a more relaxed note, the U.S. Naval Academy graduation is next week across the bay in Annapolis. The Blue Angels will fly a practice on Tuesday, midday (?) and a full show on Thursday. We'll be on the Severn River in our boat. Truly a hoot to watch a F18 upside down 160 feet over your head. The on-the-water scene is a truly memorable madhouse.

eWill3 can testify that the Smithsonian Air and Space Museums are well worth the trip to DC/Dulles Airport. Aircraft overload in spades......

AlBundy
05-18-08, 12:06 AM
Well ewill3rd, I don't know if this is good news but now every year to come, you got to take ewill4th to the air show. Sorry, but you did it to yourself.:eek::D

ewill3rd
05-18-08, 09:17 AM
This was his 3rd year actually :D

The first year he was too young and didn't like the noise.
Last year he tolerated it with his earmuffs on.
This year it didn't bug him so much but he still preferred to have his hearing protection if possible.

I love the Blue Angels, they are rowdier than the Thunderbirds. I like the Technical program of the Thunderbirds but sometimes the weather doesn't cooperate and their low ceiling show isn't very long or too exciting.
The weather was perfect yesterday for it too.
I have seen both numerous times. When I was a kid I saw them all the time.
When I lived in San Francisco I used to go to Fleet Week, which is awesome. Actually I would just ride my motorcycle down to Pier 39, watch the Blue Angels get nuts over the city and then ride back.
One time I took my wife's friend from Bolivia and we watched the airshow from the deck of a ship on the water front. I am pretty sure it was the USS Carter Hall.
Can't find the pictures right now.

She had never seen one and she loved it.

MauiV
05-18-08, 01:09 PM
Fly Navy!!