: 2000 Deville with Denso plugs

Alleycat
05-16-08, 02:05 PM
I'm finally into changing the plugs in my 2000 deville. Does anybody know what the electrode is supposed to look like? Mine are pointed like a pencil lead. I haven't got the new ones yet to compare them. Looks like I'll be using delco plugs because I can't find the Denso ones. I heard this job was a bitch and now I believe it. Took 30 minutes to get the front bank plugs out, and looks like it will be the rest of the day on the rear bank.

CadillacSTS42005
05-16-08, 02:07 PM
wrong forum?
idk why it took you so long, a N* is relatively easy to do plugs on...

Alleycat
05-16-08, 02:21 PM
You're right, I did get into the wrong forum. Sorry bout that.:canttalk:

CadillacSTS42005
05-16-08, 02:50 PM
np
lol
it should be pretty easy to do

Submariner409
05-16-08, 03:20 PM
This may get moved down to N* performance........A lot of double platinum plugs in N*'s were Denso units, then ACDelco contracted with a Japanese company (Denso???) to make the ACDelco Professional Platinum and Double Platinum plugs for their OEM use and also aftermarket. The plugs you're looking for (2000+) are #41-987. $4.93 apiece from www.rockauto.com (http://www.rockauto.com). Check the boots also: carbon tracks or weak tension springs, same with the coil pack tips and ground spring. Boots from RockAuto or www.gmpartsdirect.com / www.gmotors.com

Ranger
05-16-08, 04:50 PM
The little "tips" you are seeing are the platinum tips.

I'll move this to the Northstar section.

Alleycat
05-16-08, 11:58 PM
I picked up the AC platinum plugs at O'reily's and the tips are pointed just like the old Densos. I thought maybe the tips were just worn, but apparently not so. I bought this car new in 2000 and it has just under 49K miles on it. I think that speaks well of the Denso plugs. The front bank wasn't bad. The radiator hose is in the way but was easy enough to block out of the way. The rear bank is another story. There is an AIR valve that is bolted to a bracket which in turn is bolted to the cassette. That part, and it's attending hoses, and flexible pipe had to be removed in order to get the cassette off. There's not much room to work, and you have to be stretched over the engine to get to it. I'm sore from head to toe, but I have the satisfaction of having done the job myself.

Submariner409
05-17-08, 08:37 AM
Now that you've done it, the factory service manual and owner's manual recommend plug changes at 100,000 miles. Platinum tip plugs last a very long time using unleaded gas.

Ranger
05-17-08, 10:49 AM
The rear bank is another story. There is an AIR valve that is bolted to a bracket which in turn is bolted to the cassette. That part, and it's attending hoses, and flexible pipe had to be removed in order to get the cassette off. There's not much room to work, and you have to be stretched over the engine to get to it. I'm sore from head to toe
Having heard this before about the 2000+ Northstars, I am not looking forward to it. Fortunately, I have about another 50K to go before I should need to think about it.