: Interesting article on the ring lap

xfifty
05-16-08, 05:43 AM
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=126303

HiTechRV
05-16-08, 07:16 AM
"The manual isn't as fast "The reason you see John wave at the beginning of the video," another anonymous source told us, "is because (ride and drive engineer) Aaron Link is right behind him in a manual-transmission CTS-V." Link, an excellent driver in his own right, simply couldn't keep up with Heinricy and throughout testing, the automatic has proven to be the hot setup for this car. "There's video of Aaron's run, and he's incredibly busy" an insider told us. "Meanwhile, John barely moves.""

RightTurn
05-16-08, 08:20 AM
Slushy....FTW! :D

StealthV
05-16-08, 09:29 AM
The 20-somethings will be happy in two years when we sell our used ones.

Burnouts 'R Us Unrelated to the run around the 'Ring, but good to know is that epic burnouts have been part of the new CTS-V's engineering all along. In both manual or automatic transmission modes it will be possible, said our confidante, "to annihilate the tires like John Force if you want."

Jpjr
05-16-08, 10:16 AM
Low and behold... PS2's.... best street performance production radial on Earth.

ylwjacket
05-16-08, 11:06 AM
crap. i guess i'll have to start looking into the auto.

Lord Cadillac
05-16-08, 11:40 AM
This is why I've always preferred automatics.. I don't want to be "incredibly busy" when I'm driving - especially racing.. I do understand that other people love just that, however...

"The manual isn't as fast "The reason you see John wave at the beginning of the video," another anonymous source told us, "is because (ride and drive engineer) Aaron Link is right behind him in a manual-transmission CTS-V." Link, an excellent driver in his own right, simply couldn't keep up with Heinricy and throughout testing, the automatic has proven to be the hot setup for this car. "There's video of Aaron's run, and he's incredibly busy" an insider told us. "Meanwhile, John barely moves.""

thebigjimsho
05-16-08, 12:39 PM
This is why I've always preferred automatics.. I don't want to be "incredibly busy" when I'm driving - especially racing.. I do understand that other people love just that, however...That's it! Lock this thread down! Ban this poster!:D

thebigjimsho
05-16-08, 12:40 PM
Low and behold... PS2's.... best street performance production radial on Earth.Agreed!

ylwjacket
05-16-08, 01:16 PM
i guess the thing that has scared me on the slushbox is that the smg in the m5 is so bad. maybe this setup is better, and it could (gasp) actually be fun. i had an x5 with auto-stick, and that was actually fun to shift, then put back into sport mode when i was otherwise occupied.

i have had fun with this manual though. guess we'll have to see how this auto looks and works.

gothicaleigh
05-16-08, 01:20 PM
That's it! Lock this thread down! Ban this poster!:D

He drives an Escalade, what did you expect? The more isolated and mind-numbing the ride, the better.

Please don't ban me Sal. :gothiscared:

NormV
05-16-08, 01:37 PM
I was watching the rearview mirror. The bump draft would have kept the two transimissioned cars closer if one was not up to snuff. I know he did not up shift as the computer is best on a computer controlled car. I question the down shifts.

Norm

thebigjimsho
05-16-08, 02:00 PM
He drives an Escalade, what did you expect? The more isolated and mind-numbing the ride, the better.

Please don't ban me Sal. :gothiscared:I was very offended by the racing reference. :duck:

concorso
05-16-08, 03:23 PM
Things I need to do very soon...
Eat.
Poop.
F***.
Breath a bit.
Buy a Coupe V.
Drive the 'Ring.

Vrocks
05-16-08, 03:41 PM
My CTSs 6spd auto is great in sport mode if it's driven very hard for a series of turns. Where it's weaker is when you're only driving at 7-8/10ths, it can get confused ,and I need to keep it in manual mode to avoid weird shifts.

Flyboy
05-16-08, 04:22 PM
That is a GREAT video......watch that last minute or two on the straightaway......bastard was going around 140/150 I think.

Congrats......on the lap record. German engineering can go now and pound some sand.

The Tony Show
05-16-08, 04:35 PM
I think it was faster than that- Forza Motorsport (Xbox 360) has both accurate car performance AND track scale and I can hit 180 on that straight driving a 1st gen CTS-V.

StealthV
05-16-08, 06:07 PM
X-Box?

Well at least I got a smile in my busy day. :)

ylwjacket
05-16-08, 08:13 PM
I think it was faster than that- Forza Motorsport (Xbox 360) has both accurate car performance AND track scale and I can hit 180 on that straight driving a 1st gen CTS-V.

that sounds cool. is there a ps3 version of that?

The Tony Show
05-16-08, 08:36 PM
X-Box?

Well at least I got a smile in my busy day. :)

Don't smile too hard- the tracks in the modern racing games are assembled with thousands of reference pictures and measurements to be exact replicas of their real-life counterparts, both in elevation and scale. The same goes for the cars.

The realism has become so impressive that most of the Nurburgring lap times in the game are strikingly close to the runs made by real cars.

thebigjimsho
05-16-08, 08:56 PM
I'd rather have my TVR Cerbera on Gran Turismo on a PS3...

StealthV
05-16-08, 11:27 PM
Don't smile too hard- the tracks in the modern racing games are assembled with thousands of reference pictures and measurements to be exact replicas of their real-life counterparts, both in elevation and scale. The same goes for the cars.

The realism has become so impressive that most of the Nurburgring lap times in the game are strikingly close to the runs made by real cars.

Sure, but how fast is the GT-R in the game? :highfive:

It's all ones and zeros these days. :alchi:

urbanski
05-17-08, 07:31 AM
Please don't ban me Sal. :gothiscared:

i'd undo it :gurl: