: Water pump belt

JSMeloche
05-31-04, 02:47 PM
Hi. My 95 STS started overheating this weekend. So now it is in the garage and they tell me its only the water pump belt that is bad. Im happy its a cheap fix. But now i wonder if it really is just that?!? My car NEVER overheated, it ran very cool and all of a sudden it overheats badly.
Does a waterpump belt just "go bad" in one day? isnt it a progressive thing???
Any way i hope this cures the overheating problem. Other then that i love ma Caddy!

eldorado1
05-31-04, 03:50 PM
Maybe it just fell off, and they wanted to charge you $$$ for something stupid :yup:

PhillyCaddy
05-31-04, 05:56 PM
the belt will not just fall off, something must be wrong. either the belt is bad, the pump bearings are bad and seizing up or the adjuster for the belt is bad. lots of gm's have bad tentioners that through belts but never seen a n* water pump through the belt. check it out realy good.

JSMeloche
05-31-04, 09:01 PM
Yes it was the belt that was worned out

The mecanics showed me the belt. I kept it and i will try to take a pic and post it!!! LOL it is so bad. The rubber is all old and cracked up and there is almost no fabric left at all. I can't figure how my car ran with this piece of crap lol.

zonie77
05-31-04, 10:35 PM
It has an automatic spring loaded tensioner. It kept tension on the belt until the belt stretched past the tensioner limits.

Before the tensioner you woould have had to adjust it manually and might have noticed how bad the belt was.

Ain't technology great!

JSMeloche
06-01-04, 08:10 AM
As long as my computer does not pop blue screen of death in my face at 70 mph on the highway (wich would obviously cause everything to seize up, including brake, engine transmission and suspension. Until I do a complete restart of the car and run ScanCar) and comes pre-bundled with GM Internet Explorer, I don't really mind technologies in my car LOL

mcowden
06-01-04, 11:57 AM
You know, some if not all BMW 745 and 760 models run some kind of Micro$oft code on their navigation systems. So with the previous technology comment in mind, consider the following nightmare scenario:

You're lost in the bad part of town and your navigation system blue screens. Pre-programmed with Micro$oft's monopolistic tendencies, the navigation system has taken over control of the door locks, power windows, radio, cruise control, alarm system, and climate control. So now your car is blue screened, you're in the wrong neighborhood, the doors won't lock, you're going around in circles, you can't roll down the windows, the horn is blaring, the lights are flashing, it's 110 degrees in the car, the radio's locked up playing a Michael Bolton loop at full volume, and there's no way to reboot the navigation system. Now are you happy with belt tensioner technology? :bonkers:

Cheers!

eldorado1
06-01-04, 02:32 PM
the radio's locked up playing a Michael Bolton loop at full volume
Oh God the horror! :hide: